C/O 2017 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Apparently some schools want it. Most have told me not to though unless you were involved in showing, breeding, etc. I guess contact each school individually and find out, although I'm not really sure where you would include it if they don't have a section for it on their supplemental.

I would leave it off of the VMCAS and include it on the supplemental. If it came up, you tell them that some other schools did not want to see pet ownership.

Members don't see this ad.

Which is also a bit frustrating because if one wants you to but another doesn't, where do you put it to not piss off the school that doesn't.......

Exactly! Which I told Wisconsin and they were kind of just like well, you have to do what other schools tell you to do...

orca2011 said:
Apparently some schools want it. Most have told me not to though unless you were involved in showing, breeding, etc. I guess contact each school individually and find out, although I'm not really sure where you would include it if they don't have a section for it on their supplemental.

Which is also a bit frustrating because if one wants you to but another doesn't, where do you put it to not piss off the school that doesn't.......
Good question. If anyone finds an answer, please post it!

EDIT: Pending space, perhaps put it on a resume? I had cat and dog ownership on my resume (I'm in the process of re-doing it, not sure if I'll still include it) and horse ownership under my horseback riding.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good question. If anyone finds an answer, please post it!

EDIT: Pending space, perhaps put it on a resume? I had cat and dog ownership on my resume (I'm in the process of re-doing it, not sure if I'll still include it) and horse ownership under my horseback riding.

I never really submitted a resume since pretty much all your experiences from a resume fit somewhere on the application. Especially the VMCAS one because it asks about experiences/awards from high school as well.

I never really submitted a resume since pretty much all your experiences from a resume fit somewhere on the application. Especially the VMCAS one because it asks about experiences/awards from high school as well.

:shrug: I ended up including one with my recommendations and stuff for my mock interview, and my pre-professional advisor was encouraging me to submit it with my actual application. Of course, pre-professional advisor, so...

:shrug: I ended up including one with my recommendations and stuff for my mock interview, and my pre-professional advisor was encouraging me to submit it with my actual application. Of course, pre-professional advisor, so...

I mean, you probably can put it in the additional information section. Some people who applied to Tufts would put their VMCAS PS in that section since they use their own app service. Never did that or included a resume and it definitely didn't hurt me from what I can tell. Didn't do it during my first cycle either and I was wait listed at 4 schools that cycle.

Regarding pet ownership - VMRCVM adcom states you can count hours for as long as you have been the primary caretaker of the animal in question. Basically if you're paying the bills, you can count the hours.

I put ownership hours for my dogs (one of which was a Canine Companion trainee - d'aww), geckos, birds, rabbits, and mice, and they liked it just fine. =) Illinois didn't have an issue with it either. I never asked Cornell or UPenn, but since the latter waited 'til the week before the last week of interviews to finally let me down, I'd assume that's not what got me kicked out of their pool. ;)

Kernel, are you only applying to your IS? I ask this because when other schools calculate your overall GPA, last 45 credits, and science GPA, they most likely won't count that second ochem because it is P/F.

I would definitely contact other schools and talk to a couple of them to see what they say. They might suggest that you retake that bio class and ochem.

Yup, I'm definitely only applying to my IS this cycle (Oregon). I'll ask them about the bio and 1st term of ochem.

Bumping this thread back up....

I honestly can't believe the application opens up next week! I never thought I would get all my prereqs finished up or to this point. There were several times I thought about going in a different path, but once vet med gets under your skin, it's impossible to share the desire.

Took the GREs for hopefully the last time this past weekend. As long as my writing score is good, I will never, ever, ever take that test again! Good riddance! Still have to figure out my eLOR writers and get working on that pesky personal statement.

Anyway, this is really just a friendly hello to my fellow applicant class. I know we're all going to do awesome this cycle, and I look forward to spending the waiting period fretting over every post and email with you guys. :D

Wait, wait, wait. What is this nonsense?1 I should be putting pet ownership?!?! I had a cat for 24 years! lol I've had rats and rabbits and ferrets and lizards and a corn snake and a tarantula etc.
Now I have a cat that has had to have all of his teeth removed and is now in renal failure so I do SQ fluids every day and I also have my dachshund that wiped my savings with her hemilaminectomy on her 5 ruptured discs and fenestration on many of the remaining discs because they weren't in great shape either. She took a boatload of physical therapy, meds, acupuncture and lots of patience and love.

....Lots of pet ownership lol

I feel the same way? I have had pets since I was born..all kinds...NC State specifically says do not include this in your app and I think it makes sense personally. How do you calculate hours for ownership? Isnt that 24/7? I am also certain that probably abuot 99% of people interested in vet med own pets...and while this may or may not help prepare you for vet med (I guess just depending on the animals, numbers, what kind of owner you are) I just dont see how it matters and I certainly do not see how you would list it on vmcas.

I feel the same way? I have had pets since I was born..all kinds...NC State specifically says do not include this in your app and I think it makes sense personally. How do you calculate hours for ownership? Isnt that 24/7? I am also certain that probably abuot 99% of people interested in vet med own pets...and while this may or may not help prepare you for vet med (I guess just depending on the animals, numbers, what kind of owner you are) I just dont see how it matters and I certainly do not see how you would list it on vmcas.

I estimated hours spent actually caring for my animals (that is, animals for which I was the primary caretaker, including costs, etc.); walking, feeding, training, taking to the vet. Loving and enjoying and fluffing and holding I left out. ;)

VMR also says they'll reject an application outright if the numbers look too ridiculous (eg, 4 hours a day with a goat you've owned since age 4 or whatever), so I was very careful to estimate on the conservative side of things. And I was careful to explain exactly what the hours quantified.

I suppose it probably matters the most when it comes to a basic understanding of domestic animals, as well as a certain level of comfort dealing with those animals. Someone who grows up around cattle is going to be a hundred times more comfortable in a paddock (pen? field? I don't even know the term :laugh: ) with cattle than someone who hasn't, even if their experience has never involved medicine of any sort.

I estimated hours spent actually caring for my animals (that is, animals for which I was the primary caretaker, including costs, etc.); walking, feeding, training, taking to the vet. Loving and enjoying and fluffing and holding I left out. ;)

VMR also says they'll reject an application outright if the numbers look too ridiculous (eg, 4 hours a day with a goat you've owned since age 4 or whatever), so I was very careful to estimate on the conservative side of things. And I was careful to explain exactly what the hours quantified.

I suppose it probably matters the most when it comes to a basic understanding of domestic animals, as well as a certain level of comfort dealing with those animals. Someone who grows up around cattle is going to be a hundred times more comfortable in a paddock (pen? field? I don't even know the term :laugh: ) with cattle than someone who hasn't, even if their experience has never involved medicine of any sort.

Yeah that makes sense...that is kind of why I guess I understood more the exception that unless it involved breeding/showing that it did not count...because that would include a "kennel" or "farm" where I think you would learn a lot more than just owning a cow. But then again, who knows...and like you said I am sure they are aware of how to view an applicant and 500 hours caring for a ferret probably does not make that much difference than 10,000 :laugh:

That is good to know though...I applied (unsuccessfully) to VMRCVM last cycle and am applying again. Where did you put it on vmcas or did you put it on the supplemental? (I cannot even remember what the supplemental looked like)...because I know that other schools I am applying to (NC State ex) do not want pet ownership.

That is good to know though...I applied (unsuccessfully) to VMRCVM last cycle and am applying again. Where did you put it on vmcas or did you put it on the supplemental? (I cannot even remember what the supplemental looked like)...because I know that other schools I am applying to (NC State ex) do not want pet ownership.

I put it on the VMCAS, but none of the schools I was applying to had said anything about not including pet hours (to my knowledge, at least). The VMR supplemental is pretty basic... I don't really remember too much of it, actually. All I recall is the "Why do you want to go here?" portion. :shrug:

I don't know what would be better; putting pet hours on the VMCAS for those schools who want to see it, and letting NC State ignore it, or not putting pet hours on the VMCAS and relying on supplementals.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know what would be better; putting pet hours on the VMCAS for those schools who want to see it, and letting NC State ignore it, or not putting pet hours on the VMCAS and relying on supplementals.

I would do the former. It's easier to ignore something than to search through your whole application to hunt down the pet hours.

I put down the hours I spent caring for my horse, as I rode & competed. I didn't put down the time I spent caring for my piggie or fish or hermit crabs. Just use your good judgement. Did you learn something that may help you in your career or did you just cuddle?

I'm still ambiguous about this. When my dog had her surgery she couldn't walk for months. It was pretty much 'round the clock care. She went to work with me, I snuck her into all of my classes (though after my professors found out, they didn't care anyway :) ) Even if I only factor in her physical therapy, acupuncture, the time I spent massaging and icing, medicating and taking her out in a sling that would be a pretty high number.

So does anyone else not have a "single" experience that they're using to base their personal statement off of? I am having a hard time articulating exactly what has brought me into vet med and how I know this is right for me other than that I just know. :D

I am a non-trad and I worked for 5 years for a large corporation in the finance field. That experience led me to know that I don't want to do that for the rest of my life. I'm afraid that's going to make me sound like a quitter if I list all of the things I didn't like about my job and what I do like about vet med. :confused:

So does anyone else not have a "single" experience that they're using to base their personal statement off of? I am having a hard time articulating exactly what has brought me into vet med and how I know this is right for me other than that I just know. :D

I am a non-trad and I worked for 5 years for a large corporation in the finance field. That experience led me to know that I don't want to do that for the rest of my life. I'm afraid that's going to make me sound like a quitter if I list all of the things I didn't like about my job and what I do like about vet med. :confused:
I'm using two. They showcase not only my experiences in vet med, but things beyond that as well. They are experiences that helped me realize what traits I have that will ensure my success :D

I put it on the VMCAS, but none of the schools I was applying to had said anything about not including pet hours (to my knowledge, at least). The VMR supplemental is pretty basic... I don't really remember too much of it, actually. All I recall is the "Why do you want to go here?" portion. :shrug:

I think I will email NC State and see what they say...if I decide to put it at all...or I like someone elses idea of "did I learn anything about vet med"...ugh! VMCAS is evil.

I'm using two. They showcase not only my experiences in vet med, but things beyond that as well. They are experiences that helped me realize what traits I have that will ensure my success :D

So what if I don't have any specific epiphany experiences? :D I have been working 70+ hour weeks for a large practice and I am even more excited about vet med as a result. I just don't have a "This one time at band camp...I was birthing barn cats when a horse started colicing in the stall next door" story. :laugh:

So what if I don't have any specific epiphany experiences? :D I have been working 70+ hour weeks for a large practice and I am even more excited about vet med as a result. I just don't have a "This one time at band camp...I was birthing barn cats when a horse started colicing in the stall next door" story. :laugh:

Don't worry about not having a "story", draw on moments, that get your exited about vet med. Stories sometimes are way over played.

I didn't use a particular epiphany story, either - I also think they can sometimes be a little overplayed. Heck, it was a good paragraph before I even mentioned veterinary medicine in mine. Just write what feels natural, cut it to size, then get feedback and mould it a bit more. If you get feedback from the PS readers thread they'll tell you if something doesn't work. :laugh:

:laugh: LMAO! I don't know that I would call mine epiphany moments per se. They're just moments that when I think back I displayed traits that I like about myself :)

Don't worry about not having a single moment in time where you decided, I wanna be a vet. It can be a process. Maybe include the one thing that you thought was missing in your job. Did you want to spend time outdoors, want more interaction with people, weren't feeling challenged, there has to be something that was the real downer for you that made you decide to pursue vet med. Not bashing the job or anything, just a general thing the job lacked that you didn't think would be a downer when you pursued finance, but it became one as you lived it day in and day out.

I was kinda like you, working in an office for 5 and a half years and bored out of my mind, I knew I had to do something else. I always knew I was gonna do something with animals, though, just took me time to figure out what and I did have a defining moment where I finally chose vet med. You don't have to though, not everyone does.

For what it's worth, I barely talked about any animal related experiences at all. I briefly mentioned how my interest in animals started when I was a little (which one school told me I talked about too much) and then just talked about other life experiences instead. Nothing veterinary related and I did just fine this past cycle. I think if you have other stories that can prove what will make you a good vet, go with that. It's different than all the other vet related stories and might help you stand out.

I think standing out is one of the best things you can do. So many people will have similar experiences and I personally would get tired of reading them if I were an adcom. The only experiences I put in mine were memorable ones that showed my strengths, i.e. "Cat ignited in flames during surgery, used critical thinking skills :)rolleyes:) to save cat's life."
I also focused on the diversity I would bring to the profession, why I liked food animal medicine (or whatever field you may want to go into), and how I could contribute positively to the industry.

For what it's worth, I barely talked about any animal related experiences at all. I briefly mentioned how my interest in animals started when I was a little (which one school told me I talked about too much) and then just talked about other life experiences instead. Nothing veterinary related and I did just fine this past cycle. I think if you have other stories that can prove what will make you a good vet, go with that. It's different than all the other vet related stories and might help you stand out.

Thanks everyone for reassuring me!! I guess I just need to start typing and harassing the PS readers. :)

A PS 'story' isn't what makes it or breaks it. A good PS needs to:

- say what it's supposed to say. You can talk about Fido this and Fido that until the cows come home, but if it doesn't explain why YOU are interested, why they should accept YOU, and what YOU expect to do with the degree, then none of it matters.

- be memorable. You can do this by starting it with a story about a flaming opossum or an artificial vagina (y'all think I'm making those up?) but there are other, less sensational ways to be memorable. Just try to leave a good impression.

- have the grammar and structure expected of someone with a college degree. If all you have to offer is a version of yourself in paper, at least put some effort into making sure you sound intelligent. Are you gonna interview in pajamas and old sneakers? No, you'll dress nice? Nicer than normal? Well, dress up your words too, even if you are normally a slob. :hungover:

- convince the readers that you have something really important that you will bring to the profession. This one is a bit harder to quantify than the rest, but it's worth some thought.

As for pet hours, include them if you have a school that wants them. I can pretty much guarantee that a school won't toss out your app if they have to ignore one of your listings for animal experience. They'll just... well, they'll just ignore it. No big.

However, be very careful with the hours. Be very, very conservative. Underestimate. If you think you really did spend three hours a day caring for Fluffy, cut it down to one and leave out Sundays. Or something like that. They just want to see that you have had pets and cared for them. This (general pet care) should not be the bulk of your animal experience hours even if it is the area with the most hours - it is probably the least important.

A PS 'story' isn't what makes it or breaks it. A good PS needs to:

- say what it's supposed to say. You can talk about Fido this and Fido that until the cows come home, but if it doesn't explain why YOU are interested, why they should accept YOU, and what YOU expect to do with the degree, then none of it matters.

- be memorable. You can do this by starting it with a story about a flaming opossum or an artificial vagina (y'all think I'm making those up?) but there are other, less sensational ways to be memorable. Just try to leave a good impression.

- have the grammar and structure expected of someone with a college degree. If all you have to offer is a version of yourself in paper, at least put some effort into making sure you sound intelligent. Are you gonna interview in pajamas and old sneakers? No, you'll dress nice? Nicer than normal? Well, dress up your words too, even if you are normally a slob. :hungover:

- convince the readers that you have something really important that you will bring to the profession. This one is a bit harder to quantify than the rest, but it's worth some thought.

As for pet hours, include them if you have a school that wants them. I can pretty much guarantee that a school won't toss out your app if they have to ignore one of your listings for animal experience. They'll just... well, they'll just ignore it. No big.

However, be very careful with the hours. Be very, very conservative. Underestimate. If you think you really did spend three hours a day caring for Fluffy, cut it down to one and leave out Sundays. Or something like that. They just want to see that you have had pets and cared for them. This (general pet care) should not be the bulk of your animal experience hours even if it is the area with the most hours - it is probably the least important.
This is the exact thing I struggled with last year. I that's why I went with anecdotal this year after researching and talking to many people. I think, for me, that is making it easier to actually write with my voice. I had this idea of what a PS should look like and it came out all stiff and wrong lol. :xf: I get is right this time.

I left them off last time, I think I will do the same this time. I just feel like having animals, even special needs ones, may be more common in the pre-vet crowd lol

I think some important questions to ask yourself when you sit down to write a PS are:

Why do I like vet med?

What about veterinary medicine do I find rewarding? exciting? interesting?
then ask yourself "What anecdotes or experiences do I have that reflect the above"

What have your experiences taught you? How is that going to make you a good vet?

I think it is easy to say "I really want to go into critical care because it is exciting!" but it isn't a memorable statement. I think its more memorable to tie in a personal story. Thats just my opinion though.

I struggled with my personal statement a lot. I have never been a good writer and I spent hours and hours agonizing over my PS. It began very cliche: "I love animals blah blah blah gag" and morphed into something I am really proud of: a chronicle of my journey through veterinary medicine and what I have learned and why I love it.

Best of luck to everyone and one last piece of advice: have lots of people peer edit and offer suggestions, but know when to draw the line. It is YOUR personal statement after all.

There's certainly no requirement to have a single story tying everything together, but it's easier to write a personal essay that way. I started off with a short narrative paragraph that brought up several of my aims and skills. I used this as a launch point for the rest of the essay, always tying it back to the beginning. It's important for the essay to be cohesive and not just a bunch of random paragraphs strung together.

There are several examples of personal statements from previous successful applicants linked on SDN and they were very helpful for me when I was writing. Mine is structured very differently, but it's always nice to have a sample of what a good essay might look like. (I would link to the ones I used last year, but in one of my regular technology failures, I broke the motherboard of my laptop and so tech support wiped the whole thing).

I spent a lot of time brainstorming about what makes me passionate for the field. I didn't want to just write a "cookie-cutter" essay because that's not who I am. However, as a young, female, biology major who just graduated it was tough to do that. I was brutally honest in my essay and I think that helped my application.

As a second time applicant I didn't necessarily use a "story" but rather I focused on being a second time applicant and why I still wanted this and was going to keep pursuing my dream. I highlighted my knew experiences that broadened my appreciation and then came back to one of my original experiences that solidified my interests in what I wanted to do in veterinary medicine

And you don't have to know specifically what you want to do. Just be confident in explaining why you want vet med as your future. Everyone is going to have a different reason and as long as you are yourself and honest, your PS will shine!!!!

As a second time applicant I didn't necessarily use a "story" but rather I focused on being a second time applicant and why I still wanted this and was going to keep pursuing my dream. I highlighted my knew experiences that broadened my appreciation and then came back to one of my original experiences that solidified my interests in what I wanted to do in veterinary medicine

And you don't have to know specifically what you want to do. Just be confident in explaining why you want vet med as your future. Everyone is going to have a different reason and as long as you are yourself and honest, your PS will shine!!!!

I am using this somewhere in my PS as well...I think being a 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th) time applicant can really matter, or at least it does for me. I have never felt more determined, focused, or sure of what I want to do until I received my rejection letters. I never once thought "okay maybe I need a plan B"...but instead right away started planning for the next application cycle and looking at how to improve my chances of getting in. Not saying I would have this same enthuasium AGAIN :laugh: but at least I did this year.

SIDE NOTE: One of the most interesting PS I have ever read was a girl who wrote about being the traditional "I want to be a vet since I was 4" scenerio but she played off of it...as in, I do not have some dramatic story about when I realized I wanted to be a vet, or how I changed my mind midway through earning an art degree...I have always wanted to be a vet, I have been preparing since before high school, and I will continue to prepare unti I matriculate. It was so good, but could have been so bad. Meaning to me that it is all up to you how you do your PS...I think sounding mature is probably one of the most important aspects.

You kidding me? I haven't even STARTED my PS. I hate writing those. Haaaaaaaate.

You kidding me? I haven't even STARTED my PS. I hate writing those. Haaaaaaaate.

354rm6.jpg

Pff I didn't start my PS till mid-August last year.

Yep, September for me too. The longer I write something, the worse it gets, so I started mid-September. :cool:

For those of you who are reapplying (or really applying for the first time too!) and, like me, are a bit afraid of rejection again:

inspire-others-127.jpg

Meh. I have decided to just do a video PS just like Legally Blond. I think I will be sure to get in if I do that!

For the two schools I applied to that required a passport photo to be sent, my friend told me I should wear kitty ears and paint whiskers on my face :rolleyes:

For the two schools I applied to that required a passport photo to be sent, my friend told me I should wear kitty ears and paint whiskers on my face :rolleyes:

Haha!!! So am I just supposed to send a headshot? I haven't really looked at UF's supplemental app but I do know they ask for a photo. Do they not want to see my professional artistic photos with my ponies in a field? Do they use these to make sure the class picture looks diverse enough? Those things fascinate me whenever I'm at the college, I just stand there thinking, "That guy doesn't look like he'd be a vet." :laugh:

I haven't started either. I'm just afraid if I procrastinate too much none of the people on the review thread will be available because the new semester will have started already.

BTW - I love this place!! Everyone is so supportive and helpful...:love:

Haha!!! So am I just supposed to send a headshot? I haven't really looked at UF's supplemental app but I do know they ask for a photo. Do they not want to see my professional artistic photos with my ponies in a field? Do they use these to make sure the class picture looks diverse enough? Those things fascinate me whenever I'm at the college, I just stand there thinking, "That guy doesn't look like he'd be a vet." :laugh:
LOL it's a passport photo so pretty strict as far as guidelines :laugh: Auburn is one school but I don't know which other.

LOL it's a passport photo so pretty strict as far as guidelines :laugh: Auburn is one school but I don't know which other.

yep, Auburn and FL were the two I had to send a PASSPORT photo to. I have to say it was probably the most desperate "oooo please pick me!" photo of my face. :smuggrin:

I put way too much pressure on having a "professional yet approachable smile" and all this crap. I felt like my whole application depended on it lol. The guy taking my picture was even funnier about it. When I told him what it was for, he tried to get all professional photographer on me, and he took like 15 pictures and then wouldn't even let me pick which one I wanted :laugh: