C/O 2017 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Y'all think OK's website is bad, go look at Tuskegee's. Assuming it's up.

Yeah. I found ok's to be quite pleasant. Tuskegee I couldn't even find the frickin pre reqs without "filling out an app". Bleagh

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah the location you cannot beat...it is only about 2 hours from my entire family in NC and 5 hours from Baltimore (where I live now). I havent visited either but I have heard the same things about the school and campus. I think that location can be very important. While I totally admire some people being able to pack up and move anywhere and be happy, that is just not my personality or lifestyle. I dont think it means that I want it any less than someone else just because I dread the thought of living in the middle of the nowhere. I dont have a ton of free time now but I love living in the city and having everything at my doorstep when I do have a day/night out! I also want to be somewhat close to family (as in on the same side of the country). I know that my schedule is going to be insane and I will be super poor and I hate the thought of coming home only once or twice a year. That being said, I would probably accept any position I was offered between going to vet school or not but it certainly affects my enthuasium about applying.

On a website note...NC State has a spectacular website...::swoon:: :love::love:

Haha. We have clearly exact opposite feelings on this and opposite feelings on moving. I'm just outside of DC, which means Blacksburg is around 4.5 hours away (based on the 5 to Baltimore), which is exactly the reason I don't like the location. I am perfectly fine seeing my family only once or twice a year (though we get along well). I'm definitely the type that can't stay in anyone place too long. Just spend nearly 7 months in the same city without a weekend away, which is super unusual for me.

Though we do at least agree on the last part. If VMRCVM is the only school I get into, then, f yeah, I'm going there, hands down, no question.

Thanks everyone! Being older with a house, job, family, etc. I couldn't do the 3 mos intership at Carolina Tiger, but I've wanted to volunteer there for a looooong time. So, I finally decided "what the hey..." & emailed them with my goals, objectives and what I COULD offer to see if they would be accepting. I went down for a one day working interview last month, and absolutely loved it! So yep, I'm currently doing laundry, packing, etc. It looks like they just received some new cats too, so looking forward to seeing the new additions!

If anyone is looking for experience with exotics, consider contacting them. The staff are extremely friendly & the organization thrives on volunteers. You will gain experience for yourself while contributing to the care of these wonderful creatures.

In addition, I have some good friends that live in Pittsboro, so the added plus is getting to stay & visit with them!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this is off-topic, but how are people studying for the new GRE? :oops:

I'm not pre-vet but I have to take it to apply to grad school (I'm not pre-vet) this fall. Never taken a standardized test before and don't exactly know how to approach it. I took the practice exam from the GRE company blind and did okay (between 1130-1320 was the old range) and I really need to do well to offset a not-awesome GPA.

I figured you guys would know best. :oops:

I'm not pre-vet but I have to take it to apply to grad school (I'm not pre-vet) this fall. Never taken a standardized test before and don't exactly know how to approach it. I took the practice exam from the GRE company blind and did okay (between 1130-1320 was the old range) and I really need to do well to offset a not-awesome GPA.

There are plenty of study books that have vocab often seen on the GRE and help refresh you on the math you need to know. I bought a Kaplan one online for $13 I think. You can also go on their website and they have free sessions with live people who teach you math tips and tricks. I also found the "GRE for dummies" book to be helpful and a quick study. Many websites online offer free GRE vocabulary. I think ETS lets you take a few free practice exams as well. Princeton Review will send you a GRE that you can send back and have scored as well. I personally refreshed on math and learned how the test was structured so I had the best odds of beating it.

The Princeton review book was too easy fwiw. Kaplan was much more accurate

But then again, I used Princeton old test Kaplan new. So who knows.

The Princeton review book was too easy fwiw. Kaplan was much more accurate

But then again, I used Princeton old test Kaplan new. So who knows.

Yeah I never did the Princeton Review book, just signed up to have a practice test sent... which I never even did :oops:

I did a class with Kaplan. It was an incredible pain, but I think it was worth it in the end. I mainly wanted to get experience with the test format, which I definitely did (SO many practice tests!) and I would have completely messed up the argument essay if I hadn't done that studying.

I dunno....I think it depends on the person. I did the Kaplan class, but liked some of the tricks in my Princeton Review book better. I've heard both ways lol.

I have the Kaplan Verbal and Math review books and I've been doing them. I think that they're both fairly helpful, but I'm probably going buy another book or two for extra practice.

I would personally never pay for the classes... they are outrageously expensive in my eyes. I've been told that the classes don't cover any more than the books do, but the classes benefit people who have trouble motivating themselves to study. Not sure, never taken one, and I guess it just depends on your learning style as well. If you have time, go through a Kaplan book, Princeton Book, and whatever else you can find. The "GRE for Dummies" book was actually helpful as well.

I would personally never pay for the classes... they are outrageously expensive in my eyes. I've been told that the classes don't cover any more than the books do, but the classes benefit people who have trouble motivating themselves to study. Not sure, never taken one, and I guess it just depends on your learning style as well. If you have time, go through a Kaplan book, Princeton Book, and whatever else you can find. The "GRE for Dummies" book was actually helpful as well.

So I ended up taking the Kaplan online anytime class, which was like $400. I don't regret taking it, but I think if you were motivated enough and really worked through the books you would be fine without the class. I ended up not doing a lot of the exercises and god knows I didn't watch all the videos. The only thing that was super helpful was having access to all the practice exams and the quizzes. You could take quizzes and practice tests and they would tell you where your strengths and weakness were (Down to very specific question types) and then give you quizzes accordingly. You should definitely take as many practice tests as possible. I found the ETS one to be more accurate than the Kaplan as far as scoring goes. And I think it's really important to take a few full length practice tests on the computer.

Members don't see this ad :)

I was also really put off by the cost of prep courses, and studied on my own with a few books and flash cards. My impression (of the old GRE) was that it was kind of pointless to spend a lot of time on vocab (the number of words one could possibly memorize while studying constitutes such a small percentage of the words that could show up on the test). I found it really helpful to focus on the math - formulas and time-saving tricks. If I could do it again, I would practice writing essays. I'm really not familiar with the new GRE, though.

I found the old Kaplan workbooks...would they still be okay to study with? I also have the current ETS, Princeton, and Barron books. Hoping to study for about two months, maybe three.

I just worked through 4 different books and did pretty decent. $400 for the class?! Krikey!!

Sent from my SPH-M910 using SDN Mobile

I just worked through 4 different books and did pretty decent. $400 for the class?! Krikey!!

Sent from my SPH-M910 using SDN Mobile

Some of the full classes are $1200!! :scared:

Awesome!!

Thank you so much, guys. I went to a CC first so I never had to take the SATs/ACTs and the last standardized test I took was the PSATs (and the WASL, of course, but they don't have that anymore). :oops: So it's been a good...four, five years. Six. Something like that.

Thank you guys again. :)

God I know. :eek: Would never, ever spend that. That's like three months rent for me - I was perfectly happy with my $15 book and online resources.

Libraries are a great source too! Although with it being a new test the books will be more relevant to the old GRE, but I don't really think the material itself can be that terribly different. Just another option for those of you who are completely broke like me :cool:

Libraries are a great source too! Although with it being a new test the books will be more relevant to the old GRE, but I don't really think the material itself can be that terribly different. Just another option for those of you who are completely broke like me :cool:

My Mom doesn't even want me to buy any books. :( My family simply doesn't have the money right now. I'm, uh, getting copies through less reasonable means. I have the Kaplan GRE books that they gave out free last year, the workbooks, so I may use those for extra practice.

Edit:

Looking over the changes, reading comprehension was still on the old one so I'll definitely do those practice ones. Despite having an awesome vocabulary, I suck majorly at reading comprehension. It kind of makes me laugh.

Has anyone used Freerice? I was planning on getting some extra vocab there besides Princeton's list.

My Mom doesn't even want me to buy any books. :( My family simply doesn't have the money right now. I'm, uh, getting copies through less reasonable means. I have the Kaplan GRE books that they gave out free last year, the workbooks, so I may use those for extra practice.

Edit:

Looking over the changes, reading comprehension was still on the old one so I'll definitely do those practice ones. Despite having an awesome vocabulary, I suck majorly at reading comprehension. It kind of makes me laugh.

Has anyone used Freerice? I was planning on getting some extra vocab there besides Princeton's list.

If you have a smart phone, there are some GRE Vocab apps floating around.

I use the Princeton Review GRE book. I like their test taking strategies.

Virginger told me about Barron's online prep. $69 for 6 months use. Bought it today and I like it a lot.

If you have a smart phone, there are some GRE Vocab apps floating around.

I use the Princeton Review GRE book. I like their test taking strategies.

Virginger told me about Barron's online prep. $69 for 6 months use. Bought it today and I like it a lot.

I have an Android, so I'll take a look around. So far...I think it's Princeton I like the best just looking through everything, but I do plan to use each book because I'm pretty sure they'll all have different strategies.

I'll look into that prep, too. :)

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it.

Yeah, the practice tests were the most useful thing about the class, I thought. Since they were all on the computer and since I took so many over a relatively short time frame (I pretty much took one a week for...5 weeks or so?) I was totally not stressed when I took the actual test. Still waiting on official scores, but my unofficial math and verbal looked pretty good.

And I've used Freerice, too! I mentioned it in my class, but the teacher didn't really want to suggest it.

Yeah, the practice tests were the most useful thing about the class, I thought. Since they were all on the computer and since I took so many over a relatively short time frame (I pretty much took one a week for...5 weeks or so?) I was totally not stressed when I took the actual test. Still waiting on official scores, but my unofficial math and verbal looked pretty good.

And I've used Freerice, too! I mentioned it in my class, but the teacher didn't really want to suggest it.

Not to brag or anything, but I've read at a 12th-grade reading level since sixth grade. :oops: I devour books. I started playing with Freerice in high school. I can't wait to expand my vocabulary studying for the GRE...I'm using Anki in combination with Freerice, Princeton's vocab list, and then seeing if there are any good apps on my phone.

Edit:

Hey nohika. I don't know how much they'll help you, because they're from the old test, but I have some books I don't need anymore. I think I have at least 4 or 5--some of them have been written in, but I don't think they're that bad (don't really recall). I could send them to you for free if you'll just cover the shipping (they'd just be going in the trash anyway). Let me know if you'd be interested :D

Not to brag or anything, but I've read at a 12th-grade reading level since sixth grade. :oops: I devour books. I started playing with Freerice in high school. I can't wait to expand my vocabulary studying for the GRE...I'm using Anki in combination with Freerice, Princeton's vocab list, and then seeing if there are any good apps on my phone.
I found that reading Jane Eyre and looking up all the words I didn't know precisely ended up helping. Amazing how many words from that book alone ended up on the GRE.

Any suggestions for good apps that you've (or anyone else) used?

The app I use is called Flashcards. It is just vocab and you can rate the word and then go back to look at the ones you starred.

I found a lot of (free! :) ) online practice tests that were helpful, as well as word lists and formula sheets. That's all I used to study and I did pretty well on both sections. I think a big part of it is realizing what your weak spots are and studying accordingly. Personally, I think reading is more helpful than trying to memorize words... that way you get a "feel" for connotations, rather than being limited to what you studied.

I found a lot of (free! :) ) online practice tests that were helpful, as well as word lists and formula sheets. That's all I used to study and I did pretty well on both sections. I think a big part of it is realizing what your weak spots are and studying accordingly. Personally, I think reading is more helpful than trying to memorize words... that way you get a "feel" for connotations, rather than being limited to what you studied.

Would you mind PMing me where you found the free online ones? :oops: That's one thing I'm lacking.

I plan to use Anki to learn the vocab and read journal articles each day, I think.

Also check out number2.com (I think that's what it was). Free online GRE practice site.

The app I use is called Flashcards. It is just vocab and you can rate the word and then go back to look at the ones you starred.

Don't think it's the one you meant, but just downloaded the dictionary.com flashcards app and really like it. Lots of different decks of word quizzes, but also has other quizzes on other topics (just found a cooking words quiz!). Also well designed.

Don't think it's the one you meant, but just downloaded the dictionary.com flashcards app and really like it. Lots of different decks of word quizzes, but also has other quizzes on other topics (just found a cooking words quiz!). Also well designed.

I will have to try that one out.

I would check with your undergrad college to see if they offer any test prep services. Mine did a full test prep class for the GRE, MCAT and others through the Center for Student Learning, which was the office that organized/provided tutors, Supplemental Instruction etc... The classes were free to enrolled students and recent alumni. They had the software to do practice tests and everything. I worked for that office so I knew about the service, but was surprised at how few people at my school did.

:scared:

Okay, here goes:

I'm a first time applicant. 22/F, Oregon resident. I didn't think I would be applying this year, but the vet I'm shadowing encouraged me to.

My GPA is pretty low - 3.4 - mostly because of science (I'm double majoring in Biology and French and my French GPA is ~3.7).

I take the GRE tomorrow, hoping to destroy verbal and quantitative but very nervous about writing.

I have 2 LOR's lined up, one of which is a vet I know pretty darn well and have shadowed ~50 hours thus far. Looking for a third LOR.

Vet experience:
- I started working 15-20 hours per week as a tech at a busy emergency clinic in April. I have 180 hours so far and will continue to work there until I actually go to vet school!
- 40 hours shadowing vet at emergency clinic (will continue ~8hrs per week)

Animal experience:
2000+ hours animal ownership (rats, rabbit, cats, dog)
~100 hours pet sitting
3.5 years horseback riding combined experience (English and western - no idea how many hours this would be)
160 hours as a kennel attendant at the emergency clinic where I currently tech
50 hours volunteering for a cat rescue (cleaning cages, and feeding, playing w/ cats)
10 hours observing during calving season on a toy ranch
25 hours helping with chores/feeding on ^ toy ranch (chickens, goats, horses, cows...)
200 hours raising + socializing chicks in our home

These are rough estimates. I've been lucky to have lots of contact with animals but because it's been so inconsistent that it's difficult to tally.

I have had a gazillion other jobs in college, including:

- working summers in a wine wholesale business warehouse (2005-2010)
- 1 summer as a cheesemonger/deli clerk/demo person at a high-end natural foods grocery store
- 1 summer as a program assistant for my college's international student exchange program (chaperoned groups japanese students during daily activities around the school and city)
- 1 academic term as an international student mentor
- 1 academic year as a computer lab attendant/tech support person (~15 hours per week)
- 1.5 academic years as a sound technician for our school's student-lead professional audio services group (we set up for and recorded concerts, invited speakers, student events etc). was promoted to lead technician and administrative assistant during the last academic term I worked there (~20 hours/week)

It's a long shot for me, I know. I am ONLY applying to my IS school for financial reasons, and because I don't really see myself going anywhere else!
Please feel free to offer suggestions of any nature. I'm fully prepared to dominate my summer class and fall term classes so as to bring up my GPA. I will continue working on my hours, and I'm itching to find a large animal vet to shadow this summer. The vet I'm currently shadowing actually used to work strictly with cows - I'm definitely considering large animal as a specialty because of what I've heard from her.

Back up plan: apply the following year. This cycle, I am also going to apply to a master's program (in French, hehe) at my current uni. If I don't get into vet school, I will likely go for my masters first and just keep applying. I figure it's a good way to bring my GPA up while I work on vet hours, AND my school will practically pay it's French grad students (TAships, etc).

Oh, one more thing: I said my science GPA is low - this is because literally every bio class I have taken I have earned a B in. I got A's in general chemistry and a C+ in the first term of ochem (I took the second term P/F... to explain as simply as possible, biochemistry at my uni only requires the first term of ochem and my IS vet school says you only need enough ochem to get into biochem. I basically took the second term for the hell of it but didn't want to risk screwing my GPA over). I have one C in the first quarter (read: NOT semester) of gen bio too. Question is, should I retake any of these?

EDIT: In case you were wondering why the heck my hours are so low, I didn't actually seriously start pursuing pre-vet until this year. I was previously pre-med (bleh) and then undecided.

Wow, sorry about posting my life's story...

Last edited:
Kernel, are you only applying to your IS? I ask this because when other schools calculate your overall GPA, last 45 credits, and science GPA, they most likely won't count that second ochem because it is P/F.

I would definitely contact other schools and talk to a couple of them to see what they say. They might suggest that you retake that bio class and ochem.

Last edited:
Also, most schools don't allow you to count pet ownership unless you're involved in breeding, showing, etc. Although I did find one that apparently did want me to include it which shocked me.

:scared:

Okay, here goes:

I'm a first time applicant. 22/F, Oregon resident. I didn't think I would be applying this year, but the vet I'm shadowing encouraged me to.

My GPA is pretty low - 3.4 - mostly because of science (I'm double majoring in Biology and French and my French GPA is ~3.7).

I take the GRE tomorrow, hoping to destroy verbal and quantitative but very nervous about writing.

I have 2 LOR's lined up, one of which is a vet I know pretty darn well and have shadowed ~50 hours thus far. Looking for a third LOR.

Vet experience:
- I started working 15-20 hours per week as a tech at a busy emergency clinic in April. I have 180 hours so far and will continue to work there until I actually go to vet school!
- 40 hours shadowing vet at emergency clinic (will continue ~8hrs per week)

Animal experience:
2000+ hours animal ownership (rats, rabbit, cats, dog)
~100 hours pet sitting
3.5 years horseback riding combined experience (English and western - no idea how many hours this would be)
160 hours as a kennel attendant at the emergency clinic where I currently tech
50 hours volunteering for a cat rescue (cleaning cages, and feeding, playing w/ cats)
10 hours observing during calving season on a toy ranch
25 hours helping with chores/feeding on ^ toy ranch (chickens, goats, horses, cows...)
200 hours raising + socializing chicks in our home

These are rough estimates. I've been lucky to have lots of contact with animals but because it's been so inconsistent that it's difficult to tally.

I have had a gazillion other jobs in college, including:

- working summers in a wine wholesale business warehouse (2005-2010)
- 1 summer as a cheesemonger/deli clerk/demo person at a high-end natural foods grocery store
- 1 summer as a program assistant for my college's international student exchange program (chaperoned groups japanese students during daily activities around the school and city)
- 1 academic term as an international student mentor
- 1 academic year as a computer lab attendant/tech support person (~15 hours per week)
- 1.5 academic years as a sound technician for our school's student-lead professional audio services group (we set up for and recorded concerts, invited speakers, student events etc). was promoted to lead technician and administrative assistant during the last academic term I worked there (~20 hours/week)

It's a long shot for me, I know. I am ONLY applying to my IS school for financial reasons, and because I don't really see myself going anywhere else!
Please feel free to offer suggestions of any nature. I'm fully prepared to dominate my summer class and fall term classes so as to bring up my GPA. I will continue working on my hours, and I'm itching to find a large animal vet to shadow this summer. The vet I'm currently shadowing actually used to work strictly with cows - I'm definitely considering large animal as a specialty because of what I've heard from her.

Back up plan: apply the following year. This cycle, I am also going to apply to a master's program (in French, hehe) at my current uni. If I don't get into vet school, I will likely go for my masters first and just keep applying. I figure it's a good way to bring my GPA up while I work on vet hours, AND my school will practically pay it's French grad students (TAships, etc).

Oh, one more thing: I said my science GPA is low - this is because literally every bio class I have taken I have earned a B in. I got A's in general chemistry and a C+ in the first term of ochem (I took the second term P/F... to explain as simply as possible, biochemistry at my uni only requires the first term of ochem and my IS vet school says you only need enough ochem to get into biochem. I basically took the second term for the hell of it but didn't want to risk screwing my GPA over). I have one C in the first quarter (read: NOT semester) of gen bio too. Question is, should I retake any of these?

EDIT: In case you were wondering why the heck my hours are so low, I didn't actually seriously start pursuing pre-vet until this year. I was previously pre-med (bleh) and then undecided.

Wow, sorry about posting my life's story...

I dont know how Oregon will interpret your application but, they take a very holistic approach to looking at applicants. They wont immediately eliminate you due to your GPA. (I got waitlisted OOS this year and my GPA was a 3.3 for them)

Oregon Calculates ~10 different GPAs: Overall, Science, Last 45, Biology, Animal Science, Non-Science Coursework, and etc.

They also look at overall rigor of your semesters (credits taken, volunteering, working)

I would recommend you try to get some more veterinary hours, but you knew that already. Maybe see if you can learn about other areas of practice within the field, there is more to vet med than emergency SA.

Oregon will also let you retake courses to replace your original grade.

They will see your strengths and weaknesses. However, I think they really try to give most IS applicants an interview. Its totally worth applying and trying :)

I will be applying IS for Oregon this year too with ~3.42 too (given my summer coursework goes well :luck::xf::luck::xf:). Anyways, nice to meet you "fellow OR applicant", Good Luck :D:luck::woot:
(I know your competition, but I wanted be friendly to a fellow SDNer and help out :p)

Also, most schools don't allow you to count pet ownership unless you're involved in breeding, showing, etc. Although I did find one that apparently did want me to include it which shocked me.

VMRCVM told me I should have put my pet ownership (non-breeding, and non-show) and pet sitting on. ophf. It really depends on the school ...

VMRCVM told me I should have put my pet ownership (non-breeding, and non-show) and pet sitting on. ophf. It really depends on the school ...

Wisconsin told me in my file review that I should have included it as well. Which would have been nice to know since I've had some sort of pet pretty much since I was born. Obviously, I wouldn't really count those early years, but it's a lot of hours. They said it looked like I didn't have any animal experience and were wondering if I ever had any pets and I was just like :eek: Of course I have! Guinea pigs, fish, dogs and a green anole and then I've done plenty of pet sitting.

I just don't where they want it included because doesn't VMCAS say not to include pet ownership under animal experience? Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I thought.

Wisconsin told me in my file review that I should have included it as well. Which would have been nice to know since I've had some sort of pet pretty much since I was born. Obviously, I wouldn't really count those early years, but it's a lot of hours. They said it looked like I didn't have any animal experience and were wondering if I ever had any pets and I was just like :eek: Of course I have! Guinea pigs, fish, dogs and a green anole and then I've done plenty of pet sitting.

I just don't where they want it included because doesn't VMCAS say not to include pet ownership under animal experience? Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I thought.

Now I feel like contacting a couple of schools about pet ownership. I have had pets since I was born. Truly started taking care of them when I was 6 yrs old. I got a cat on my 7th and 9th birthday (the 9th bday cat is my kidney failure cat). I have had hamsters, fish, mice, cats, and dogs.
Since I was 15 I have given insulin shots daily, oral medications, topicals, cleaned up wounds (enough to impress my vet when I was 16), and now SQ fluids on my own pets. This should count for something hopefully.

Last edited:

Wait, wait, wait. What is this nonsense?1 I should be putting pet ownership?!?! I had a cat for 24 years! lol I've had rats and rabbits and ferrets and lizards and a corn snake and a tarantula etc.
Now I have a cat that has had to have all of his teeth removed and is now in renal failure so I do SQ fluids every day and I also have my dachshund that wiped my savings with her hemilaminectomy on her 5 ruptured discs and fenestration on many of the remaining discs because they weren't in great shape either. She took a boatload of physical therapy, meds, acupuncture and lots of patience and love.

....Lots of pet ownership lol

Wait, wait, wait. What is this nonsense?1 I should be putting pet ownership?!?! I had a cat for 24 years! lol I've had rats and rabbits and ferrets and lizards and a corn snake and a tarantula etc.
Now I have a cat that has had to have all of his teeth removed and is now in renal failure so I do SQ fluids every day and I also have my dachshund that wiped my savings with her hemilaminectomy on her 5 ruptured discs and fenestration on many of the remaining discs because they weren't in great shape either. She took a boatload of physical therapy, meds, acupuncture and lots of patience and love.

....Lots of pet ownership lol

Apparently some schools want it. Most have told me not to though unless you were involved in showing, breeding, etc. I guess contact each school individually and find out, although I'm not really sure where you would include it if they don't have a section for it on their supplemental.

Apparently some schools want it. Most have told me not to though unless you were involved in showing, breeding, etc. I guess contact each school individually and find out, although I'm not really sure where you would include it if they don't have a section for it on their supplemental.
Which is also a bit frustrating because if one wants you to but another doesn't, where do you put it to not piss off the school that doesn't.......

Another first timer for UF here. I'm also planning on applying to NCSU, Wisconsin, and maybe a few others.

I have been thinking about my personal statement but I haven't written anything down yet. I also still have to study for the GRE and take it this summer. I know who I'm asking for LORs and have mentioned it to some of them, but I'm waiting for applications to open to officially ask.

I have around 600 vet hours now, and will hopefully have ~800 by application time. Plus around 100 research hours, and probably about 10k hours in animal experience.

Kudos to those of you who already have the ball rolling for this cycle, you're definitely more prepared than I am!