c/o 2018 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@PippyPony Good idea about asking the vet staff. I asked the vet staff directly if I could volunteer in the clinic, because they don't typically take volunteers.

So during my guinea pig's appointment today, the vet decided she wants to remove the small growth on my piggy's third eyelid, and she said I could observe the surgery. I told her I'm planning to apply to vet school, and she was suddenly much more enthusiastic and friendly. She wished me luck and asked if I was looking for a job in a vet's office. I told her I was looking to shadow rather than work.

After I left, I realized she might have been indirectly asking if I was interested in working there? I'm not sure. I thought I'd ask her about it on Monday when I bring in my piggy. Getting experience at a small animal/ exotic vet's office seems like a good idea, since I want to work with cats, dogs, and "pocket pets," but I'm not sure if it's better to try and shadow or work. I already have 2,500 hours experience as an animal shelter kennel attendant, but if it's a job as a vet assistant, it might be worth it? Would that be more valuable experience than shadowing, where I can observe the vet during surgeries?
Schools like to see your time being paid for rather than given for free. The reason being that you're taking a higher responsibility which a paying job demands. It shows other skills like time mgmt, especially with a (hopefully) challenging course-load.

Members don't see this ad.

IMO- working as a vet assistant is better than shadowing. Not only are you gaining experience, but you are getting paid for it!! Also, shadows are normally just that- a shadow... Just watching not much hands on except maybe reading fecals & restraining when no one else can.. The Assistant position will benefit you much more as far as hands on experience goes.

That's a pretty common argument, but I'm still not buying it (completely). When I shadow(ed), while the tech is in the lab running a fecal or the tech assistant is cleaning a kennel, I'm in the doctor's office going over lab results with a dvm, who is talking me through the pathophysiology of the case. Or they're in radiology walking me through their findings on some radiograph. Or sitting at their computer helping me track their thinking on a SOAP.

As far as hands-on, I can't count how many more things I've done as a 'shadow' than any of the techs have had the opportunity to do (at this particular clinic).

I think it varies too much from clinic to clinic to make blanket statements like "working as a vet assistant is better than shadowing." I'm sure that's absolutely true some places, but it's completely false at others.

People seem to spend a lot of time focusing on what kinds of 'hands on' experience they'll get shadowing ... and they focus in on blood draws and other kind of stuff. Meh. When I'm in a clinic, the things I want to *really* soak in are client communication, diagnostic thinking, writing records, etc.

Very good advice, guys, thanks.

If it all goes well on Monday, I'll let her know I'm interested in working there (depending on the positions they have available). Almost all of my experience is as a paid employee rather than a volunteer, but it's in an animal shelter/ stable rather than a private practice. Even though I plan on doing shelter medicine, this would still be a good experience for me.

ETA: Interesting point, LIS. I suppose I'll have to play it by ear. I'm not sure she'd be willing to let me shadow, but I'd rather find a practice where I can shadow than work as a kennel attendant. I'd rather not spend 99.9% of my time cleaning (been there, done that).

Members don't see this ad :)
Very good advice, guys, thanks.

If it all goes well on Monday, I'll let her know I'm interested in working there (depending on the positions they have available). Almost all of my experience is as a paid employee rather than a volunteer, but it's in an animal shelter/ stable rather than a private practice. Even though I plan on doing shelter medicine, this would still be a good experience for me.

ETA: Interesting point, LIS. I suppose I'll have to play it by ear. I'm not sure she'd be willing to let me shadow, but I'd rather find a practice where I can shadow than work as a kennel attendant. I'd rather not spend 99.9% of my time cleaning (been there, done that).

I think in the end, I wouldn't agonize too much over what kind of experience you get - just make the most of it.

IMO- working as a vet assistant is better than shadowing. Not only are you gaining experience, but you are getting paid for it!! Also, shadows are normally just that- a shadow... Just watching not much hands on except maybe reading fecals & restraining when no one else can.. The Assistant position will benefit you much more as far as hands on experience goes.

:thumbup: I feel this way as well. Some clinics would even let you do some technician work if you're lucky!

That's a pretty common argument, but I'm still not buying it (completely). When I shadow(ed), while the tech is in the lab running a fecal or the tech assistant is cleaning a kennel, I'm in the doctor's office going over lab results with a dvm, who is talking me through the pathophysiology of the case. Or they're in radiology walking me through their findings on some radiograph. Or sitting at their computer helping me track their thinking on a SOAP.

As far as hands-on, I can't count how many more things I've done as a 'shadow' than any of the techs have had the opportunity to do (at this particular clinic).

I think it varies too much from clinic to clinic to make blanket statements like "working as a vet assistant is better than shadowing." I'm sure that's absolutely true some places, but it's completely false at others.

People seem to spend a lot of time focusing on what kinds of 'hands on' experience they'll get shadowing ... and they focus in on blood draws and other kind of stuff. Meh. When I'm in a clinic, the things I want to *really* soak in are client communication, diagnostic thinking, writing records, etc.

In my experience getting hired on as a vet assistant was the best thing that ever happened to me. I have been given the opportunity to do all the things you listed above, all while getting paid. If I had to choose between gaining 100s ( or in my experience 1000s) of hours for free or with a paycheck I would choose paycheck 100 times over. And you are absolutely correct, your duty will vary at each and every clinic. It is all about what you make of your experience.. You can choose the paid job and just fall into the routine of the clinic or you can go the extra mile and make it a point to go through cases with the doctor, talk through X-ray findings, blood work results, possible differentials etc. Also if I didn't have the extensive training/ experience my first assistant job gave me I would have Never been hired on at the Referral/ ER clinic that I now work at, which is allowing me to see cases and critical care that the GP couldn't give me. Just shadowing a GP would not allow me the growth from my first clinic to the one I'm at now. To each his own.

Has anyone used BenchPrep as a study aid for the GRE (or any other standardize tests)? I was scanning Groupon today and they have a deal where you can get one course for $25. I am contemplating the purchase since funds are kind of tight right now...

Last edited:
Has anyone used BrenchPrep as a study aid for the GRE (or any other standardize tests)? I was scanning Groupon today and they have a deal where you can get one course for $25. I am contemplating the purchase since funds are kind of tight right now...

I bought that Groupon a few weeks back and have been using the Nova prep (they give you a few options for the GRE and I chose Nova) and it's not bad. I also use the phone app that comes with the deal and that comes in handy.

uhhhhhh apps open in 4 days.......

al;skdjfalskdjfasldfkj

i cant decide if i'm feeling nervous or excited, but i'm all jittery inside!

I know! I've been preparing for this cycle for over two years and it's finally here! Feels almost surreal... Squeeeee!!!

Good luck, everyone! :)

On the flip side of this, when shadowing, you are able to pay more attention to details and ask questions instead of always wondering about loading the next patient into the exam room, collecting a blood sample, filling prescriptions ,etc. I started as an intern where I essentially shadowed and was taught some skills and then hired a month later. I still got to ask questions, but I found that I was constantly focusing on what my next task was and didn't really get the chance to sit down and talk with the vets I was working with.

Both are excellent experiences. You just get back what you put into it.
I think people keep forgetting that you don't need hands on experience to get into vet school and that they treat you all like you don't have any tech skills when you enter anyways. I have many classmates that have never given a vaccine or clipped toe nails and it's not really an issue.

Is it okay if I have the same people write my letter of recommendations? and do they need to write an entirely new letter?

Is it okay if I have the same people write my letter of recommendations? and do they need to write an entirely new letter?

Have you done any file reviews and asked what the adcoms thought about the LORs? I only ask because every file review I did said that one of my vet LORs said good things about me, but that she didn't know how to write a LOR (formatting, style issues, etc). If I wasn't accepted this cycle, they said to definitely get another vet to write a different one. They liked my other two, though, and said it would be okay to keep them if I had to apply again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, have you narrowed down the schools you're applying to and which ones? I think it might help everyone if we have questions about specific applications and then we'll know who to ask for questions. I'm applying to University of Illinois, Washington State University, Kansas State University, Iowa State University, and Louisiana State University. Just a couple more days and the VMCAS open! Good luck to all.

Hey everyone, have you narrowed down the schools you're applying to and which ones? I think it might help everyone if we have questions about specific applications and then we'll know who to ask for questions. I'm applying to University of Illinois, Washington State University, Kansas State University, Iowa State University, and Louisiana State University. Just a couple more days and the VMCAS open! Good luck to all.

Florida (instate), Virginia, Ohio....and thinking 2-3 more trying to decide between washington, Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota

I kept one person from my previous cycle but gave him some more information so he could update his letter if needed. Some schools, like Penn, keeps everything ( letters, GRE scores, transcripts, etc) so I only had to really resubmit my application. When doing a file review with them (and other schools) no one said anything negative about my letters but Penn made the point to tell me that getting 3 brand new letters would work even more in my favor since my first 3 were good as well. Obviously, not every school will read and take into account 6 LORs but if you are confident your letters spoke highly of you and were well written, you don't have to change them. However, I would make sure you have something new that the people writing your letters could add into their letters.

And I would only ask 3+ new people if you were confident they could write amazing letters as well. I don't really see the point in switching writers if they can't write you as strong of a letter.

Florida (instate), Virginia, Ohio....and thinking 2-3 more trying to decide between washington, Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota
What are your criteria for applying? Are you looking at specific programs, location, costs, etc? We might be able to help you decide.

This is my 4th app. I will be applying far and wide (but with discretion and limited funds....lol). My list is as follows:

Auburn (contract)
Tuskegee (contract)
Mississippi
Iowa
possibly LMU pending accreditation

SGU
Edinburgh/Dublin - not sure which yet

This is my 4th app. I will be applying far and wide (but with discretion and limited funds....lol). My list is as follows:

Auburn (contract)
Tuskegee (contract)
Mississippi
Iowa
possibly LMU pending accreditation

SGU
Edinburgh/Dublin - not sure which yet
Where is LMU?

Cool! I had no idea that they had another vet med program in TN!

They had their site visit at the end of January and are just waiting on word of accreditation.

What are your criteria for applying? Are you looking at specific programs, location, costs, etc? We might be able to help you decide.

all three GPA around 3.5
taking GRE june 19th
second time applying to florida
interested in small animal but maybe open to exploring other areas
30 hours with pony donkey and sheep
5000 hours small animal
6 exotic
9 equine
3 dairy
3 zoo
3 marine

cost is a big deal, would like to keep cost down and I know washington and ohio let u switch to instate residency after a year, low cost of living good too because my mom can't help me with anything

I had no idea that LMU even existed until now. Fascinating. I went to their website, but couldn't find any info about tuition/fees...anyone know? Do they consider OOS?

...and I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I plan to apply to Cornell (IS), Wisconsin, Illinois, Kansas, Missouri, Tennessee and Mississippi...

I had no idea that LMU even existed until now. Fascinating. I went to their website, but couldn't find any info about tuition/fees...anyone know? Do they consider OOS?
I just poked around their website and it says they don't differentiate between IS and OOS, and there are 100 seats. I also don't see anything about tuition except for undergrad (20K).

Right now I'm applying to 10 schools and I can't seem to get my number any smaller, I'm just too afraid I'll cross of the one that accepts me.
So right now the plan is NCSU (IS), Ohio State, Mizzou, Michigan State, UPenn, UTK, Kansas, Illinois, Oklahoma and VMRC

Schools that I am looking to applying to this time around are:
- NCSU (IS)
- Purdue
- Michigane State

Maybe:
-UPenn
-UTK

I am doing some more research to see where else, but I have limited funds to do applications. My boyfriend offered to help me pay application fees, but I do not feel right having him do that (since I am already behind paying him rent for about 3 months now).

I need to pick out one more definite so I can decide where that 4th free GRE score is going to go... Fingers crossed that this is the year :)

I just poked around their website and it says they don't differentiate between IS and OOS, and there are 100 seats. I also don't see anything about tuition except for undergrad (20K).

Right now I'm applying to 10 schools and I can't seem to get my number any smaller, I'm just too afraid I'll cross of the one that accepts me.
So right now the plan is NCSU (IS), Ohio State, Mizzou, Michigan State, UPenn, UTK, Kansas, Illinois, Oklahoma and VMRC

That's a small class? Yeesh.

Yes, they will be accepting out of state. I was told that tuition was expected to be around $40k.

Hopefully, they will hear this week and can finalize the details.

all three GPA around 3.5
taking GRE june 19th
second time applying to florida
interested in small animal but maybe open to exploring other areas
30 hours with pony donkey and sheep
5000 hours small animal
6 exotic
9 equine
3 dairy
3 zoo
3 marine

cost is a big deal, would like to keep cost down and I know washington and ohio let u switch to instate residency after a year, low cost of living good too because my mom can't help me with anything
Wow! You've been all over the spectrum which I think is pretty cool. Marine would be awesome if we had an ocean anywhere near here lol. As far as other options, I know WSU is a bit more expensive than the others but they do let you switch to IS after a year. They also have a lot of scholarships if I remember from their site correctly. Cost of living at U of I and ISU are relatively the same at around 40k for median incomes in the area, but I don't know anything about Minnesota. U of I makes you jump through a lot of hoops to get IS, but it is possible. I don't know if it matters to you (I have a fiance that's coming with me so it does to me) but the unemployment rate for Ames, Iowa is like 3.2% which is pretty awesome. I have a feeling this probably just confused you more but I hope it helped at least a little.

This will be my first time applying. The schools on my list are:

Cornell (IS)
UPenn
Ohio State
Virginia-Maryland
Tuskegee
Auburn
AVC-PEI (maybe)

Fingers crossed :xf: Can't believe its almost time to apply. I've been anticipating this moment for the longest time! Good luck everyone! :luck:

Hhhmmm.....I was told fewer than that. Now I gotta check my info
100 students is a larger class size than UTK currently admits (85).

Also be aware that the 4th year in clinics is not at the school. They will not have their own hospital but will send students to designated sites.

I'm also pretty worried about not getting in, so I'm applying to kinda a lot of schools. My focus is shelter medicine. The types of animals I'd like to work with are cats, dogs, and rabbits/rodents/pocket pets.

Applying to:
Colorado State University
Iowa State University
Kansas State University
Ohio State University
University of Minnesota
University of Missouri
University of Pennsylvania
Virginia - Maryland Regional College
Western University (1st choice)

Maybe applying to:
Cornell (just because of their shelter med program)
Washington and Oregon State (low number of OOS seats, but they're closer to me)

Is there any new secret news about Midwestern? If they're scheduled to open Fall 2014, are they accepting student apps this cycle? Their website isn't too informative yet.

I'm also pretty worried about not getting in, so I'm applying to kinda a lot of schools. My focus is shelter medicine. The types of animals I'd like to work with are cats, dogs, and rabbits/rodents/pocket pets.

Applying to:
Iowa State University
Kansas State University
Ohio State University
University of Minnesota
University of Missouri

Maybe applying to:

You may wanna consider Mississippi if you're interested in shelter...Homeward Bound! ;) The vet at my local shelter went there.

The schools that I know I'm going to apply to are:
-Ohio State
-Missouri
-Penn (IS)

My maybe list is:
-Oklahoma
-North Carolina (I don't think I'll get in, but I have tons of family in Raleigh)
-Illinois
-Purdue
-Auburn
-Glagsow
-Edinburgh

Applying to:
Iowa State University
Kansas State University
Ohio State University
University of Minnesota
University of Missouri

Maybe applying to:

Out of curiosity ... why not Davis?

@ChittyBang Thanks, I'll take a look at their shelter medicine program. Though I must admit the location might be a bit too... Southern for me.

@EngrSC I transferred to a UC school from community college. To apply to Davis, I would have to retake some of my pre-req classes, since they require that you take core science pre-reqs at a 4 year university. I'd rather avoid retaking those classes since I already got an A in CC :p

@EngrSC I transferred to a UC school from community college. To apply to Davis, I would have to retake some of my pre-req classes, since they require that you take core science pre-reqs at a 4 year university. I'd rather avoid retaking those classes since I already got an A in CC :p

I thought only physiology and genetics had to be taken at a four-year?

Hmm.. the upper div reqs are genetics, biochem, and physio. I thought there were a few more. Still, I took genetics at a CC, and I really don't want to take it at the UC. Their second year bio classes are quite painful.

Hmm.. the upper div reqs are genetics, biochem, and physio. I thought there were a few more. Still, I took genetics at a CC, and I really don't want to take it at the UC. Their second year bio classes are quite painful.

Gotcha, that makes sense :)

Applying to:
Iowa State University
Kansas State University
Ohio State University
University of Minnesota
University of Missouri

Maybe applying to:

UF takes only a few students from OOS but their shelter med program is top notch--something to consider :)

I would love to apply to UF, but like Davis they require that you take certain science pre-reqs at a 4 year university, including genetics. :(

I would love to apply to UF, but like Davis they require that you take certain science pre-reqs at a 4 year university, including genetics. :(

Boo, sorry :(

You do have an awesome list of schools to choose from, though. Good luck! :)

Wow! You've been all over the spectrum which I think is pretty cool. Marine would be awesome if we had an ocean anywhere near here lol. As far as other options, I know WSU is a bit more expensive than the others but they do let you switch to IS after a year. They also have a lot of scholarships if I remember from their site correctly. Cost of living at U of I and ISU are relatively the same at around 40k for median incomes in the area, but I don't know anything about Minnesota. U of I makes you jump through a lot of hoops to get IS, but it is possible. I don't know if it matters to you (I have a fiance that's coming with me so it does to me) but the unemployment rate for Ames, Iowa is like 3.2% which is pretty awesome. I have a feeling this probably just confused you more but I hope it helped at least a little.

the fact that washington and ohio let you switch to instate drew me to them...i was also considering wisconsin don't know if you know anything about them? their out of state tuition seems lower than other schools but they only accept at the most 27 oos students a year....i was told to get more diversity from florida and mississippi last year so i started recently at the exotic and at the farm...i already had marine, zoo, equine, and dairy from my animal science class last year

UF takes only a few students from OOS but their shelter med program is top notch--something to consider :)

Yeah I was about to suggest this. :) Our shelter med program is insane. :thumbup:
Call Lynette Chapparo and ask about genetics. Sometimes they are lenient. They were for me on biochem. And I think we have increased OOS seats quite a bit.
Worth a shot to call at least. :shrug: