Campbell University (CUSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck everyone who is applying

Good luck everyone! I will be starting here in the fall, so if anyone has any application specific questions I would be happy to try and answer them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck everyone! I will be starting here in the fall, so if anyone has any application specific questions I would be happy to try and answer them.
Thank you I went to a event there and really loved the school it is my top choice what made you choose CUSOM

Do you think my 8,8,8 MCAT score will be too low for them? Or will the balance help? It's my top choice, too.

I heard they look at the whole applicant

They mention on the website that they put more emphasis on ECs and GPA, but I like making sure with someone who goes there.

Reactions: 1 user
In my opinion CUSOM already has great affiliated hospitals lined up for rotations (WakeMed), supportive faculty, nice facilities, plus the university has a good track record with professional schools (pharmacy & law). I also preferred to stay in the southeast and be within a quick drive to a bigger city. Raleigh is an awesome city with lots of research opportunities available if you seek them out. The only downside for me was taking a chance on a new program. I was initially hesitant, but after the interview it was clear to me that they are taking the necessary steps to become a great school.

I was fortunate enough to have an acceptance to Touro-CA as well but ultimately chose CUSOM and canceled my other interviews while withdrawing from KCOM's WL due to the reasons above and cost of living/tuition (very important for me to minimize my debt). I hope this answers your question! Good luck!
Thank you I went to a event there and really loved the school it is my top choice what made you choose CUSOM

Reactions: 1 users
In my opinion CUSOM already has great affiliated hospitals lined up for rotations (WakeMed), supportive faculty, nice facilities, plus the university has a good track record with professional schools (pharmacy & law). I also preferred to stay in the southeast and be within a quick drive to a bigger city. Raleigh is an awesome city with lots of research opportunities available if you seek them out. The only downside for me was taking a chance on a new program. I was initially hesitant, but after the interview it was clear to me that they are taking the necessary steps to become a great school.

I was fortunate enough to have an acceptance to Touro-CA as well but ultimately chose CUSOM and canceled my other interviews while withdrawing from KCOM's WL due to the reasons above and cost of living/tuition (very important for me to minimize my debt). I hope this answers your question! Good luck!
Thank you for the information, I am hoping to stay in NC and really liked the way CUSOM made me feel welcomed and how the students were

Do you think my 8,8,8 MCAT score will be too low for them? Or will the balance help? It's my top choice, too.

I'm not sure exactly what MCAT they are looking for, but if your GPA and EC's are good I would apply. I think the balanced score will help you. I would also consider a retake if you think you can get a higher score. I luckily had an MCAT >30 so I did not have anyone question that part of my application. I do think that they are interested in more than just numbers when considering who to interview. I wish you the best if luck! The application season is definitely a stressful time.

Touro-CA and CUSOM are two of my top choices. What do you think the main differences for them are? Why take on the risk of a new school like CUSOM over a more established, good program like Touro?

Touro-CA and CUSOM are two of my top choices. What do you think the main differences for them are? Why take on the risk of a new school like CUSOM over a more established, good program like Touro?

I must say it was absolutely a difficult choice. Since I haven't started medical school yet I can really only speak about how I felt after the interview and the research I did on the curriculum (planned for CUSOM) for each school. I would be lying if I didn't say cost and location weren't a huge factor in my decision. My family lives in the southern USA and the cost of living/ tuition is cheaper at CUSOM. I also wanted a school with an undergrad and other professional schools. CUSOM was also able to provide a list of hospitals (some very appealing to me) that we can rotate in for 3rd and 4th yr. For example WakeMed is a trauma 1 teaching hospital in Raleigh where many UNC-chapel hill students already rotate. Being able to stay in one location means I will not have to pay for travel expenses to complete all the required rotations in various cities/states. There also seems to be ample elective time and opportunities for audition rotations if you are interested in a competitive specialty.

Touro did not provide any details about the hospitals we will be rotating in even though it was brought up during the interviews. I was able to get the details from another SDNer though. I was also not impressed with the facilities during my interview (in the back of an old deserted military base). I feel like they are using their resources to make more money from branch campuses rather than make their main campus great and establish good rotation sites. From what I was able to gather from other students you have 3rd year rotations set up but are responsible for setting up all 4th year rotations on your own. California is expensive already and I did not like the idea of going further into debt traveling around the USA to complete rotations that I may not be interested in. I attended the interview because I know they have a good reputation but was definitely let down during my interview. The school is obviously good because they have been placing students in good residencies for many years, but I felt like it was not the atmosphere I would do best in. The faculty and students were all very nice and welcoming though. If you get an interview at either you should attend because everyone has different preferences. What turned me off about a school could be the exact thing another student likes. I'm nervous about starting at a new school with no reputation to residency directors, but I am following my gut on this one. Good luck with your season!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dang, Just found out they screen sub-7's (26 MCAT: 6 VR, 12 BS, 8 PS) on the 2013-2104 thread. Not even sure if it's worth wasting $ on a secondary if I am going to get rejected post secondary. :(
I retook mine after getting one 6, do you think I would still be screened? (27 MCAT: 6 VR, 9 BS, 12 PS, 32 MCAT: 10 VR, 12 BS, 10 PS)

I retook mine after getting one 6, do you think I would still be screened? (27 MCAT: 6 VR, 9 BS, 12 PS, 32 MCAT: 10 VR, 12 BS, 10 PS)

Wow that is a really awesome retake! They def. will not screen you since you improved so well! I would retake but I am working full time and completing my minor which will be full time throughout the rest of year :(

Wow that is a really awesome retake! They def. will not screen you since you improved so well! I would retake but I am working full time and completing my minor which will be full time throughout the rest of year :(
Ah okay. Well best of luck on your apps! A 27 is a great score as well, I'm sure you will find a great fit!

Ah okay. Well best of luck on your apps! A 27 is a great score as well, I'm sure you will find a great fit!

If i just had that 7 on VR then I'd def have a 27 MCAT! Just hoping for the best and best of luck to you too! I'm sure you are going to kill it this cycle!

If i just had that 7 on VR then I'd def have a 27 MCAT! Just hoping for the best and best of luck to you too! I'm sure you are going to kill it this cycle!
Whoops:lame: I meant 26 is a great score. You'll do awesome as well!

Got the email saying they received my application. All these schools are moving fast. DO apps got me turnt up.

Reactions: 4 users
move into town for campbell next month...feel free to ask questions about the process if you all want. I'm sure that some of first/second years will be glad to answer

move into town for campbell next month...feel free to ask questions about the process if you all want. I'm sure that some of first/second years will be glad to answer

Thanks for offering your help:
1) What do you think CUSOM puts the strongest value on (GPA vs MCAT vs Essays vs Whatever else)?
2) Do you know if they consider a Math LoR as a science LoR?

1) What do you think CUSOM puts the strongest value on (GPA vs MCAT vs Essays vs Whatever else)?

no idea on gpa/mcat preference. I had a low gpa but a high mcat, but your mileage may vary. They did speak a lot about their mission for rural medicine at interviews

I don't know if they count math... I offered a math, a chemistry and an anatomy/physiology letter.....but that might be overkill, they never asked for that many

I am matriculating later this summer, and I can't speak much on my own experience for what they might value more since both my MCAT and GPA were equally decent (29/3.73). What I gather from others is that they seem to be a bit more forgiving of a lower MCAT if you have other things going for you, but that's just the sense I get. What I will say is that CUSOM definitely looks at the applicant as a whole to see if they fit with their mission of service and helping the underserved. If you think you would be a good fit, use the secondary essays to detail that! If you have ECs in meaningful service/abroad/lots of volunteering, I think they will consider that strongly too.

Generally, math faculty LORs aren't really considered as science faculty, but definitely call the admissions office to ask! They are so helpful, friendly, and on top of their stuff, really reflective of the school as a whole. A huge reason why I chose them over some more established schools :)

Good thing #1, it's 5pm, no more work, good thing #2 it's Friday. Good thing #3, just got their secondary. It is also a little old school. Please fill out this 10 page form as a word document and e-mail it back to us. Works for me. Good luck everyone.

Here are the essay prompts as well.

ESSAY QUESTIONS: Please answer the following questions and limit your response to one-half page.

What are the top five qualities you feel you bring to CUSOM that would enhance the overall climate of our school?

Osteopathic medicine parallels allopathic medicine but has principles and practices that are distinct. Which of these principles and practices are of greatest interest to you and why?

In the event you submitted an application to another medical school last year, what improvements have you made to your application? Please indicate if you applied to CUSOM in the past.
Have you ever been enrolled in a medical school? YES NO

If YES, where and when?

Last edited:
Wow that's a fast turn around time for secondaries seeing that the application just opened up a couple of weeks ago. When did you guys submit/ were verified?

I just sent in my secondary for Campbell. I sent in my app June 1st and verified the 3rd, I believe.

Wow that's a fast turn around time for secondaries seeing that the application just opened up a couple of weeks ago. When did you guys submit/ were verified?
Just got a secondary about an hour ago too. verified on 6/10

Just got the secondary. Verified on 6/6.

Just got secondary! Do they send secondaries to everyone?
CUSOM is one of few schools that screen applicants pre-secondary, which is nice. That said, I'm pretty sure they send out secondaries to everyone that meets their minimum requirements, which is like a 3.2 and a 24? I think?

...trying to keep this formatting is going to kill my OCD. Any think they'll mind if I like, take out half these lines...?

...trying to keep this formatting is going to kill my OCD. Any think they'll mind if I like, take out half these lines...?
I was planning on printing it, hand writing all the info except for the essays and scanning it back in. Is that acceptable?

*Edit* - I see in the secondary email that it says to type it. NVM.

Good thing #1, it's 5pm, no more work, good thing #2 it's Friday. Good thing #3, just got their secondary. It is also a little old school. Please fill out this 10 page form as a word document and e-mail it back to us. Works for me. Good luck everyone.

Here are the essay prompts as well.

ESSAY QUESTIONS: Please answer the following questions and limit your response to one-half page.

What are the top five qualities you feel you bring to CUSOM that would enhance the overall climate of our school?

Osteopathic medicine parallels allopathic medicine but has principles and practices that are distinct. Which of these principles and practices are of greatest interest to you and why?

In the event you submitted an application to another medical school last year, what improvements have you made to your application? Please indicate if you applied to CUSOM in the past.
Have you ever been enrolled in a medical school? YES NO

If YES, where and when?

Is this half page limit per question or for everything?

Is this half page limit per question or for everything?
I think the half page is for each question. The first two questions are on one page together and the last two questions are on the next page together.

After poking around their site and here on the forums, I can't find an average GPA/MCAT for recent classes... Anyone know what they are?

Do you know what medical
Track is?
I don't see where you see "medical track"... If you mean the "medical missions track", I'm pretty that just means are you interested in having a focus on medical missions during your time at CUSOM.

Anybody get a secondary with a pending MCAT score (and no previous MCAT)?

Hi everyone! I just wanted to pop by as a past applicant and wish everyone good luck! I loved this school so much when I went to interview, and this place was among one of my top choices for schools. Such a lovely school with lots of friendly people and admissions. Even though it's a newer school, I think it has great potential to be a formidable medical school in the future. Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users