CCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted! I can't remember the last time I was this happy!:biglove:
Sasbo, when did you interview? I interviewed on 9/19 and remember a lot of the applicants being from Illinois. Just checking to see if you were part of that group.

Members don't see this ad.

Sasbo, when did you interview? I interviewed on 9/19 and remember a lot of the applicants being from Illinois. Just checking to see if you were part of that group.

I interviewed on 9/19 as well.

Technically I'm an IL resident... :p

And yes, heels are totally doable. Just don't try and hop over the muddy (probably won't be muddy now) construction to access the entrance facing the parking structure as there is another entrance around the side of the building. Ask me how I know how. :mad:

I was actually there the Friday before that, so we didn't get to meet!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to my fellow accepted folks! :)

Just out of curiosity, how many of you are from out of state?

Buffalo, NY. I was always internally rooting for you because I love your avatar and that episode of scrubs lol

yo, new to this thread; interviewing 10/18

congrats to those accepted...great feeling...hope to be in the same boat someday soon.

THAT VIEW :eek:

Haha, it is indeed a phenomenal view. Although you may not have too much time enjoying that view during lab.

Gratz to people already accepted, and good luck to those still waiting/interviewing!

got my third mcat today: 23Q, got a 24O last time. I know MWu takes the best set of scores. Everything on my app is solid cept my MCAT, but I am still thinking that I have no chances whatsoever with my MCAT. I am from Chicago and CCOM is my first choice. Would writing a letter of intent help?

got my third mcat today: 23Q, got a 24O last time. I know MWu takes the best set of scores. Everything on my app is solid cept my MCAT, but I am still thinking that I have no chances whatsoever with my MCAT. I am from Chicago and CCOM is my first choice. Would writing a letter of intent help?

Koala-
You got accepted for LECOM with a 24MCAT? How was your GPA. If you got accepted to that school then I wouldn't give up home on CCOM. You never know what the applicant pool will be like.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Arizona87, my GPA is a 3.76, SGPA is a 3.7. Outstanding LOR's great EC's etc. I think I might just write a LOI though. CCOM is my dream. I am withdrawing all my MD apps. The MCAT just gave me problems. Got a 22, then a 24, and now a 23. so I am always in that 22-24 range.

Hey Arizona87, my GPA is a 3.76, SGPA is a 3.7. Outstanding LOR's great EC's etc. I think I might just write a LOI though. CCOM is my dream. I am withdrawing all my MD apps. The MCAT just gave me problems. Got a 22, then a 24, and now a 23. so I am always in that 22-24 range.

a letter of intent is designed to show interest in a school saying you will attend if offered the chance AFTER you have an interview and are placed on the wait list (alternate list). it does no good to send one now.
you could however send a letter of interest stating your interest in attending here but it is not the same thing as a letter of intent.

okay thanks mommy2three...i think thats what I meant, a letter of interest. I will e-mail one to the admissions office. the mcat has placed me in a very bad situation. are there any examples of what a letter of interest conatins? is it like an addendum? would i also explain maybe the reason for my low score?

Ya I only got a 25 on the MCAT and put up 30+ on my last 3 practice tests. Your GPA is good and may get you looked at. I agree with mommy, I think you are suppose to send those after the initial interview but I have never written one. Don't give up hope.

For those who are accepted or currently attending CCOM, what was the main reason you chose CCOM over other schools? TIA.

Been complete for 3 weeks with no interview invite. I hope Midwestern hasn't forgotten/rejected me!

okay thanks mommy2three...i think thats what I meant, a letter of interest. I will e-mail one to the admissions office. the mcat has placed me in a very bad situation. are there any examples of what a letter of interest conatins? is it like an addendum? would i also explain maybe the reason for my low score?

if you want to write one you can say why they are your top choice and what attracts you to the school. you do not want to focus on negatives at all.

For those who are accepted or currently attending CCOM, what was the main reason you chose CCOM over other schools? TIA.

1. i strongly believe in community service, so that was a big one for me given their emphasis on community service
2. the diversity of rotation sites so you get exposed to a varied patient population and also i believe allows you to determine where you would like to work
3. the faculty here is truly dedicated to your success and to helping you succeed.

Interview 9/23

MCAT
Verbal-Physical-Bio
9-9-8-O
6-11-12-M
12-11-10-N

BCPM undergrad 3.27
BCPM grad 4.0 (only 9 credits)
Overall undegrad 3.28
No non science grad classes

Accepted!!!

Hey guys, hope you all hear something well from here! I would like to ask a question in regards to osteopathic medicine. With osteopathic medicine, is it required to take all three parts of the COMLEX exam or can we take the COMLEX Part 1 and take the three steps to the USMLE?

Hey guys, hope you all hear something well from here! I would like to ask a question in regards to osteopathic medicine. With osteopathic medicine, is it required to take all three parts of the COMLEX exam or can we take the COMLEX Part 1 and take the three steps to the USMLE?

DO's take all of the COMLEX board tests. This is required to be a certified DO. If you want you can also take USMLE, but that is not required. Taking the USMLE can put you in a better position to match into certain MD residency programs.

I have been complete since Aug 31st and haven't heard anything.. anyone in the same boat?

I have been complete since Aug 31st and haven't heard anything.. anyone in the same boat?

Been complete since like Aug 20th. I emailed them and they said they are still reviewing. AZCOM got back to me VERY quickly with a hold... interesting that they are taking so long.

August 11 here... nothing. :(

August 11 here... nothing. :(

Been complete since like Aug 20th. I emailed them and they said they are still reviewing. AZCOM got back to me VERY quickly with a hold... interesting that they are taking so long.

CCOM was behind sending acceptance letters (people are supposed to find out via snail mail, but it seems everyone found out online way before any letters were received)- so it seems the staff is out enjoying the last few days of warm weather :) Can't say I blame them, snowpocalypse is coming.

Been complete since late August and have also not heard anything. Was hoping to hear back from CCOM! Oh well, I hope I'll hear something positive in the next few weeks!

still patiently waiting for that interview invite..complete x 1 month:xf:

To all of those still waiting... don't lose hope.

To all of those accepted.... Congrats!

Does MWU take the best composite score if you have taken the mcat multiple times or the most recent?

Been complete since late August and have also not heard anything. Was hoping to hear back from CCOM! Oh well, I hope I'll hear something positive in the next few weeks!
+1 (early July).

Does MWU take the best composite score if you have taken the mcat multiple times or the most recent?

i believe it is the highest overall of any attempts, regardless of individual scores.
they do not do composite scores to the best of my knowledge

Got my snail mail yesterday :D So glad that I am finally moving back to sweet home Chicago and will be getting engaged soon!!

Is it just me? People who were in my interview group didn't seem too excited about the school. Did high tuition scare people? I was also told most interviews were very laid-back but I got like 4 ethical questions in a row along with two other interviewers who were mostly stoic during the interview. At this point, I have no way of telling how my interview went.

+1

Thx to mommy2three for her answer, any other opinions? I'm pretty sure CCOM is for me, but I'm still weighting my options.

Is it just me? People who were in my interview group didn't seem too excited about the school. Did high tuition scare people? I was also told most interviews were very laid-back but I got like 4 ethical questions in a row along with two other interviewers who were mostly stoic during the interview. At this point, I have no way of telling how my interview went.

The tuition is :scared::eek:, definitely a big downside of the school- but for that price, you do get floor to ceiling windows in the anatomy lab.

After graduating 7 years ago, and working as a personal trainer and clinical nutritionist the last 5, I decided to go to DO school. CCOM is my number one choice. I would like to know my chances for an interview and acceptance. My first 2 years of grades were atrocious, but have averaged 3.7 the last 2. I have a 3.10 cum and 3.27 sci GPA. I have a 24O MCAT. I have very solid letters, lots of experience in health coaching and working with chiropractors. I am shadowing a DO this fall for 100 hours. Please let me know your thoughts and any advice for improving my chances are welcome!

After graduating 7 years ago, and working as a personal trainer and clinical nutritionist the last 5, I decided to go to DO school. CCOM is my number one choice. I would like to know my chances for an interview and acceptance. My first 2 years of grades were atrocious, but have averaged 3.7 the last 2. I have a 3.10 cum and 3.27 sci GPA. I have a 24O MCAT. I have very solid letters, lots of experience in health coaching and working with chiropractors. I am shadowing a DO this fall for 100 hours. Please let me know your thoughts and any advice for improving my chances are welcome!

Average MCAT score for students entering CCOM in 2010 was 28 and the avg. cGPA was 3.56. Since you have upward trend in the last two years, your GPA may be ok but your MCAT is on the low side of average. You can either cast your net wide or retake your mcat to improve your score. Good luck.

My undergrad GPA was very similar to yours, but I had a 4.0 in grad school (your work experience will probably do you just as much good as my grad school did me.)
BCPM: undergrad 3.27 | grad 4.0 (only 9 credits)
Overall: undergrad 3.28 | No non science grad classes

I agree with LUCPM, you should probably re-take the MCAT. I recommend using examkrackers to study. My scores with KAPLAN were Verbal-Physical-Bio: 9-9-8-O and with EK 12-11-10-N.

Also, I shadowed a DO who is a CCOM alumni. As circumstantial as it may seem, I think that helped me. Message me if you want the contact into.

Finally, *apply early*. I think this is often overlooked in importance.

Anyway, speaking strictly from a personal experience, I think with a better MCAT and perhaps those latter two points, you'll be in the same position as me if not better (because I heard rumors that CCOM likes nontraditional students and I'm pretty vanilla). If that's the case, I got an early interview and acceptance soon followed, so I think you'd be in good shape.

Thx to mommy2three for her answer, any other opinions? I'm pretty sure CCOM is for me, but I'm still weighting my options.

first of all tuition everywhere is through the roof so ehh....anywhere you will have sky high rates.

i love the open door policy here, the fact that if i have a question i can ask anyone. the fact that i can go to the deans office and freak out...which you will.
i also love the fact that they are willing to listen to students and change things as far as curriculum so that they are willing to realize when something does note ork.
our board pass rates for COMLEX are good first time pass rate, well above some other schools and well above national average.
our OMM faculty-student ratio is about 5-1 which is really good and means we are well versed at OMM by time we are done.

if you remember my secret identity, email me directly for any further questions :)

My undergrad GPA was very similar to yours, but I had a 4.0 in grad school (your work experience will probably do you just as much good as my grad school did me.)
BCPM: undergrad 3.27 | grad 4.0 (only 9 credits)
Overall: undergrad 3.28 | No non science grad classes

I agree with LUCPM, you should probably re-take the MCAT. I recommend using examkrackers to study. My scores with KAPLAN were Verbal-Physical-Bio: 9-9-8-O and with EK 12-11-10-N.

Also, I shadowed a DO who is a CCOM alumni. As circumstantial as it may seem, I think that helped me. Message me if you want the contact into.

Finally, *apply early*. I think this is often overlooked in importance.

Anyway, speaking strictly from a personal experience, I think with a better MCAT and perhaps those latter two points, you'll be in the same position as me if not better (because I heard rumors that CCOM likes nontraditional students and I'm pretty vanilla). If that's the case, I got an early interview and acceptance soon followed, so I think you'd be in good shape.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and advice! I have already submitted my application for 2012 acceptance. But should I miss this year's acceptance, I will definately retake the MCAT in the spring and apply even earlier than I have this year. Thanks again!

Thank you very much LUCPM! I have already submitted my application, just waiting for the secondary now. I hope i am not too late, as I have noticed many accepted already!