This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FLoridag8ter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! A little about my application:
science GPA: 3.55
overall GPA: 3.69

I have TONS of research/awards/grant funding/volunteer/rec letters (basically I am set on my extracurricular portion of my app) Leadership positions, multiple organizations and affiliations.

MCAT: I take it next Friday (AUG 19th, 2016) Kaplan FL scores: 495, 490, 495, 498, 499

PLEASE!! -- I do not want advice if it is suggesting me to take the MCAT later, I want to take it next week and see how I do, as I have been studying this entire summer. Basically what I am asking is if somehow I get (498-499) do I have a chance (realistic one) of getting into any school. I applied very broadly (26 D.O. , 12 M.D.)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! First order of business is to take the sample or scored AAMC practice test to get a better prediction of how you will perform on the test since Kaplan is often said to deflate scores (preferably today seeing as your test is in a week and you want time to correct deficits). Secondly, concentrate on doing well on the test instead of spending cognitive effort posting hypothetical situations. You need confidence to succeed in the MCAT, and the advice you will receive here is that those potential scores are too low except for newer DO schools, which will pry only compound your fear/anxiety and could lead to you exhibiting a self-fulfilling prophecy (vocab review, you're welcome). My advice would be to log out of SDN for the next 7 days unless you are perusing the MCAT forum; there is really only a downside to you spending time on here in terms of lost study time and decreased confidence.

As an aside, taking the MCAT when you aren't ready is not a great move since those scores follow you forever and have a significant impact on your application. Do not go into the test thinking 'oh, I can always take it again if this turns out bad.' Just keep in mind the hell of having to spend another 3 months of your life in MCAT study mode as a motivator.

As negative as the tone of this post, I really do wish you the best of luck! Buckle down my friend and git-r-done.

PLEASE!! -- I do not want advice if it is suggesting me to take the MCAT later, I want to take it next week and see how I do

All I read here is "PLEASE!! -- If you aren't going to give me the advice I want to hear and will give me good, solid advice instead then don't bother"

Before you do anything I would take the AAMC sample test and AAMC scored test like now. If you do not get above the score you want then I would not take the MCAT. It was rather foolish to already apply to schools without knowing your MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 user
Pay very careful attention.

Your practice scores are indicative of a looming disaster. A 499 will be lethal for all MD schools and tons of DO schools, including mine.

Are you fully ready to take a career-deciding, high stakes exam? If not, wait until you ARE ready.

And Adcoms want to see people who make good choices.

Hello! A little about my application:
science GPA: 3.55
overall GPA: 3.69

I have TONS of research/awards/grant funding/volunteer/rec letters (basically I am set on my extracurricular portion of my app) Leadership positions, multiple organizations and affiliations.

MCAT: I take it next Friday (AUG 19th, 2016) Kaplan FL scores: 495, 490, 495, 498, 499

PLEASE!! -- I do not want advice if it is suggesting me to take the MCAT later, I want to take it next week and see how I do, as I have been studying this entire summer. Basically what I am asking is if somehow I get (498-499) do I have a chance (realistic one) of getting into any school. I applied very broadly (26 D.O. , 12 M.D.)