You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Class of 2017.... how you doin?
Started by Abnerrs
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
If anyone in here either is in clinics or recently has gone through clinics at any of these schools, and is willing to answer some questions, holla at me:
Auburn, Iowa, Mizzou, Kansas, Texas A&M
Fourth year at KSU here
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have such senioritis right now guys, it's unreal. I swear I can't make myself care about things like homework assignments anymore, I just want to be done! I need a good kick in the pants because I should be working on my radiology unknowns not browsing SDN... ugh
I have such senioritis right now guys, it's unreal. I swear I can't make myself care about things like homework assignments anymore, I just want to be done! I need a good kick in the pants because I should be working on my radiology unknowns not browsing SDN... ugh
SDN>>>>>radiology.
Am I helping? 🙂
KSU 4th yearIf anyone in here either is in clinics or recently has gone through clinics at any of these schools, and is willing to answer some questions, holla at me:
Auburn, Iowa, Mizzou, Kansas, Texas A&M
Hey quick question. Our administration asked us today if we got anything out of 4th year presentations and if not how we could change it. As of now every 4th year student does a 12 to 15 minute presentation over a case, vet topic, navle prep, or something along those lines. We have 2 to 3 people present every Friday starting the second rotation of 4th year going until the last rotation. It is somewhat helpful that they force us to get up in front of about 100 people once but I'm not sure how much everyone really gets out of it.
So my question is does your school do something like this, what's different, do you like it, what would make it better?
Thanks in advance!
So my question is does your school do something like this, what's different, do you like it, what would make it better?
Thanks in advance!
D
deleted498041
We do third year presentations which are supposed to be research-y in nature, and about 30 minutes of presentation? Not sure if I remember the time length. I don't remember the specifics because I did mine on my actual research project instead of a topic that needed to be freshly researched like everyone else. I think basically, you pick a topic of any kind that interests you and you have to have so many papers (ie primary lit) that you've referenced. I don't think you can use textbooks at all.Hey quick question. Our administration asked us today if we got anything out of 4th year presentations and if not how we could change it. As of now every 4th year student does a 12 to 15 minute presentation over a case, vet topic, navle prep, or something along those lines. We have 2 to 3 people present every Friday starting the second rotation of 4th year going until the last rotation. It is somewhat helpful that they force us to get up in front of about 100 people once but I'm not sure how much everyone really gets out of it.
So my question is does your school do something like this, what's different, do you like it, what would make it better?
Thanks in advance!
I don't think it's a great use of our time, but it is an easy A, I guess. No one watches your presentation because it's given during the lunch hour and no one is under any obligation to do so. I remember being terrified because the Dean was there for mine, and actually asked me a question that was fairly hard -- everyone else got off so easily!
I think your school does it better than mine already, by forcing it to be a vet topic or NAVLE prep. We get so many esoteric topics that just won't be useful. I think maybe requiring certain topics to be exhausted first would help, although I don't know how fair that would be. Something like, you have to exhaust the top X bovine diseases for NAVLE, for porcine, for dogs/cats, etc.
Thanks for the suggestions!We do third year presentations which are supposed to be research-y in nature, and about 30 minutes of presentation? Not sure if I remember the time length. I don't remember the specifics because I did mine on my actual research project instead of a topic that needed to be freshly researched like everyone else. I think basically, you pick a topic of any kind that interests you and you have to have so many papers (ie primary lit) that you've referenced. I don't think you can use textbooks at all.
I don't think it's a great use of our time, but it is an easy A, I guess. No one watches your presentation because it's given during the lunch hour and no one is under any obligation to do so. I remember being terrified because the Dean was there for mine, and actually asked me a question that was fairly hard -- everyone else got off so easily!
I think your school does it better than mine already, by forcing it to be a vet topic or NAVLE prep. We get so many esoteric topics that just won't be useful. I think maybe requiring certain topics to be exhausted first would help, although I don't know how fair that would be. Something like, you have to exhaust the top X bovine diseases for NAVLE, for porcine, for dogs/cats, etc.
Last rotation! Less than four weeks. How did this happen so fast?
Yeah we do it too. I did mine on compassion fatigue. I honestly thought it was annoying to have to it but I've learned a ton from other people's presentations I've gone toHey quick question. Our administration asked us today if we got anything out of 4th year presentations and if not how we could change it. As of now every 4th year student does a 12 to 15 minute presentation over a case, vet topic, navle prep, or something along those lines. We have 2 to 3 people present every Friday starting the second rotation of 4th year going until the last rotation. It is somewhat helpful that they force us to get up in front of about 100 people once but I'm not sure how much everyone really gets out of it.
So my question is does your school do something like this, what's different, do you like it, what would make it better?
Thanks in advance!
Ours can be ANYTHING if it's even remotely related to vet medYeah we do it too. I did mine on compassion fatigue. I honestly thought it was annoying to have to it but I've learned a ton from other people's presentations I've gone to
I'm done with clinics. What do I do with myself. Now that I'm not a student WHO AM I??
A vet! 😀I'm done with clinics. What do I do with myself. Now that I'm not a student WHO AM I??
(okay okay oath and hooding and whatnot, but basically).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A vet! 😀
(okay okay oath and hooding and whatnot, but basically).

I'm one week behind you abs! Can't wait 😀
Tomorrow is the last day of clinics for Mizzou's c/o 2017 !! I can't believe how fast time has flown by! And Friday me and a group of girlfriends are going to Florida for a week of celebration and relaxation! It's been quite the ride the last 4 years!
Still have this week and next week. I'm tired and ready 😴
@WhtsThFrequency asked me if I was getting ready for clinics.
Don't put me through that again!
She just probably remembers me crying because I got a C in o chem lol
Don't put me through that again!
She just probably remembers me crying because I got a C in o chem lol
@WhtsThFrequency asked me if I was getting ready for clinics.
Don't put me through that again!
She just probably remembers me crying because I got a C in o chem lol
My senility is setting in early

Turns out one of my very last patients on clinics is my own dog. Signed him up for a gastropexy tomorrow
Crazy. Always the way. The two years of vet student, I've had to bring in one of my animals every finals week. The last two as PhD, all solid. The only main dread going back in this fall is the next thing to go wrong with one of them.Turns out one of my very last patients on clinics is my own dog. Signed him up for a gastropexy tomorrow
Luckily there's not actually anything wrong with him right now. I'm just doing it prophylactically because he's a GSD. My luck he would get a GDV in the 2 month period when I'm no longer a student here but not yet an intern. I get the same discount here as I do as an intern and the pexy prices are going way up May 1st. I dont have any patients for tomorrow's sx day, so why not? Still nervous about anesthesia and abdominal surgery on my baby though 🙁Crazy. Always the way. The two years of vet student, I've had to bring in one of my animals every finals week. The last two as PhD, all solid. The only main dread going back in this fall is the next thing to go wrong with one of them.
Glad that it's preventative, but yup. Scary still. Hope it all goes smoothly!Luckily there's not actually anything wrong with him right now. I'm just doing it prophylactically because he's a GSD. My luck he would get a GDV in the 2 month period when I'm no longer a student here but not yet an intern. I get the same discount here as I do as an intern and the pexy prices are going way up May 1st. I dont have any patients for tomorrow's sx day, so why not? Still nervous about anesthesia and abdominal surgery on my baby though 🙁
I did the whole surgery myself and it went well! He is awake and recovering - looking sad and pouty 🙁
Last edited:
Yay Filly! I don't think I could ever do surgery on my own animal, way too stressful.I did the whole surgery myself and it went well! He is awake and recovering - looking sad and pouty 🙁View attachment 218176
Yay Filly! I don't think I could ever do surgery on my own animal, way too stressful.
I was definitely panicking up until surgery started. Once he was draped I was okay.
****ting mah pants. That is all.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
****ting mah pants. That is all.
Why?
I'm ascurred I'm gonna **** up. I don't feel smart enough.Why?
I'm ascurred I'm gonna **** up. I don't feel smart enough.
You get used to it. I feel that way all the time. Just triple check yourself and ask if you need to. I mean, you've got classmates you can always message and SDN peeps.
You're gonna **** up. But that's okay, you're human. The goal is to minimize the **** ups, always keep learning and working and doing the best you can by your patients. Can't ask for more.I'm ascurred I'm gonna **** up. I don't feel smart enough.
And you tried to blame your dog... for shame 😛****ting mah pants. That is all.
And you tried to blame your dog... for shame 😛

And you tried to blame your dog... for shame 😛
I'm just surprised that abnerrs is wearing pants.
I 100% don't feel smart enough. Trying to tell myself this is normal, feels weird.
I 100% don't feel smart enough. Trying to tell myself this is normal, feels weird.
So totally normal. The first few weeks are bizarre but then it just sort of all comes together. Definitely was popping immodium the first week... lol
I may be giving away trade secrets, but when they ask you something you don't know the answer to, tell them to go look it up themselves and report back to you. Then while they're gone, franticallyRight there with you guys. I am worried about my internship and don't want to disappoint them. How the eff am I supposed to teach students when I don't know stuff myself?!?
It's so much easier to ask than answer questions. You may only know 3/30 facts about something, but man you can ask for one of those facts so good. 😛I may be giving away trade secrets, but when they ask you something you don't know the answer to, tell them to go look it up themselves and report back to you. Then while they're gone, frantically
It's so much easier to ask than answer questions. You may only know 3/30 facts about something, but man you can ask for one of those facts so good. 😛
One of my make up assignments for missing two days of a rotation was to develop 20 multiple choice questions for future quizzes. It took much too long and was much more difficult than I imagined.... still better than two days of orthopedic surgery.
you guys will all be fine. and you will **** up, but that's also ok. Because you need to learn and you're human (most of you)
Officially done with my last rotation! 

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm just hoping my first couple groups of students are small animal CAEs and ask me how to put on the harness and leash.
I'm just hoping my first couple groups of students are small animal CAEs and ask me how to put on the harness and leash.
Watching the non-horse people attempt to put on halters was hands-down one of the funniest parts of vet school

Pretty much what everyone else has said about effing up. And, you will have the support of your colleagues who won't let screw up and will hold your hand through **** (most of the time). I would have been lost this year without the other associate vets at my practice.I'm ascurred I'm gonna **** up. I don't feel smart enough.
I went with fudgey wudgey cake from the local chocolate cafe instead...no regrets.
