Class of 2017.... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Watching the non-horse people attempt to put on halters was hands-down one of the funniest parts of vet school :laugh:

This will be me in every large animal rotation shortly haha

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
definitely put a rope halter on a cow wrong during our large animal practical final in third year. (in my defense, it was different from every single other one that we had, but still).

Thankfully haven't touched a live cow since. Ha.

definitely put a rope halter on a cow wrong during our large animal practical final in third year. (in my defense, it was different from every single other one that we had, but still).

Thankfully haven't touched a live cow since. Ha.

AHHHH that's the worst, especially under pressure haha. We had ours a little over a week ago and I could not for the life of me tie a quick release knot, and could not figure out why it wasn't working. Right when I was walking out and thinking about it I realized exactly what I was doing wrong :oops: haha

Members don't see this ad :)
AHHHH that's the worst, especially under pressure haha. We had ours a little over a week ago and I could not for the life of me tie a quick release knot, and could not figure out why it wasn't working. Right when I was walking out and thinking about it I realized exactly what I was doing wrong :oops: haha

I watched my classmate struggle to tie a quick release knot on a dog leash the other day for a couple minutes. I eventually threw him a bone haha

Reactions: 1 users

Haha it's okay! I was on large animal internal med and was back-up on call that night. A classmate called me in tears because she was supposed to hand feed a patient but he was giving her grumpy ears. So I literally just walked in and was like, "Here, eat this hay." And he was like, "Okay." And she was saying how dumb she felt but seriously, I would much rather come in to help than have a friend panicking or feel unsafe.

Haha it's okay! I was on large animal internal med and was back-up on call that night. A classmate called me in tears because she was supposed to hand feed a patient but he was giving her grumpy ears. So I literally just walked in and was like, "Here, eat this hay." And he was like, "Okay." And she was saying how dumb she felt but seriously, I would much rather come in to help than have a friend panicking or feel unsafe.

Oh man, I so hope I have rotation-mates like you! Haha

Reactions: 1 user
also don't be afraid to ask for help (here, on facebook, in person, wherever) when you do feel lost. I know several vets from SDN I chat with regularly to get a 2nd set of thoughts on a case here and there.

Members don't see this ad :)
They put our class picture (well, framed thing with all of our individual pictures) up on the wall in the hospital over the weekend. ****s getting real. Glad they were confident enough in all of us that we wouldn't fail out halfway through our last rotation :heckyeah:

Reactions: 6 users
I graduated today. It's official. It's too late for them to change their minds. They can't take it back.
Had the same thought process yesterday - in my fancy professional graduation photo my knuckles are white from gripping my diploma. It's mine! My own... my... precious...

Reactions: 10 users
I graduated today. It's official. It's too late for them to change their minds. They can't take it back.
Congratulations! I have to wait until Thursday -- and they're making us sit through a whole week of "how to own a practice," "how to manage your loans," "graduate survey" and other stuff first :( I just want my diploma so I can finish up my licensing stuff.

Reactions: 1 users
Hard to believe it's over already. Wow... moving next week and starting my job June 1st! Dr. Rainheart is ready to move out of Missouri

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 9 users
We did it!!! Still doesn't feel real. My 3yr old nieces called me Dr. Kpow all weekend and it was weird and adorable!

Reactions: 10 users
We did it!!! Still doesn't feel real. My 3yr old nieces called me Dr. Kpow all weekend and it was weird and adorable!
I'm so proud of you!!!! Congratulations to the best big vet school sibling around!! :love:

I move to Texas in one week and I'm not at all ready. I'm going to have to stay at an extended stay hotel for 2.5 weeks before my house is ready. My parents have agreed to keep my pets (except the puppy monster) during that time but it definitely make it harder not having them around. Starting my real adult job is a terrifying prospect.

I move to Texas in one week and I'm not at all ready. I'm going to have to stay at an extended stay hotel for 2.5 weeks before my house is ready. My parents have agreed to keep my pets (except the puppy monster) during that time but it definitely make it harder not having them around. Starting my real adult job is a terrifying prospect.

What part of Texas? My class has like 12 people going to Texas including myself and my two intern mates! Feel free to message me for privacy!

I'm a doctor, whoop whoop! I've got the diploma in my hand and everything! Now I just have to pack up my entire life and move across the country again :D

Reactions: 11 users
Just finished applying for loan repayment... that felt a little too real.

Reactions: 3 users
Moved- check
Getting settled- check
Started my job today- check
Being very poor until I have a paycheck in two weeks- yep! (Seriously, how do people take off for a month or two post graduation?)
But seriously, though, I think I found a great clinic. My boss/mentor is so great and is starting me off with training/nice and slow. I work 4 days a week, every other Saturday starting next month, and no on call. What more could a gal want?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 5 users
I have been introducing myself as Dr. Genny all day. Still feels really weird. Feels even weirder to hear the technicians say it on the phone when they're scheduling appointments for me.

Reactions: 4 users
State board exam this morning! Big shout out to @Trilt for being awesome! Also I got my first paycheck today, wow!!! I have never been so excited in my life.

Reactions: 11 users
This overnight thing is hard. I just finished a week of orientation and have one overnight tomorrow before going back to days and man. I am so struggling to stay up all night tonight in order to be ready to be up all night tomorrow. Anyone have any tips on that?

This overnight thing is hard. I just finished a week of orientation and have one overnight tomorrow before going back to days and man. I am so struggling to stay up all night tonight in order to be ready to be up all night tomorrow. Anyone have any tips on that?
I've found moving around always helps me stay up. As well as pump up music, coffee, and some task that involves mental calculations/focus.

Coffee and a cotton eye joe station on Pandora are my go tos. And just stay moving and busy as much as you can. It really usually catches up on you when you sit for a break or paperwork or something.

If it is just a single overnight and then back to days ( which sucks I'm sorry) I have found the best method for me is to stay up until midnight the night before and then go to bed and sleep in. The night of the overnight itself you will be busy actually working so you can usually make it through then when you get home sleep for 4-6 hours. Get up and do something active and then go back to bed at a normal time to get back to days. Staying up at home the night before an overnight has only made it worse for me! The slow period between 2-5 is the hardest but it is the perfect time for getting all your paperwork ( cases you saw, treatment sheets for the next day, rdvm letters) done so you can leave right after you round your day doctor. If you are done with paperwork read up on your inpatients to be prepared for rounds.

Thanks everyone for the advice :) I ended up passing out at 1:30 because I was falling asleep at my desk, and then woke up at like 10 AM... So, I guess I'll take a nap in an hour or so and then hope that I'm good to go for tonight.

If it is just a single overnight and then back to days ( which sucks I'm sorry) I have found the best method for me is to stay up until midnight the night before and then go to bed and sleep in. The night of the overnight itself you will be busy actually working so you can usually make it through then when you get home sleep for 4-6 hours. Get up and do something active and then go back to bed at a normal time to get back to days. Staying up at home the night before an overnight has only made it worse for me! The slow period between 2-5 is the hardest but it is the perfect time for getting all your paperwork ( cases you saw, treatment sheets for the next day, rdvm letters) done so you can leave right after you round your day doctor. If you are done with paperwork read up on your inpatients to be prepared for rounds.
It is just one and then back to days :( We're still kind of in orientation so we're shadowing some old interns tonight and then I start real doctor work on Monday somewhere around 4-5 AM. I'm definitely hoping that doing things and seeing cases will keep me going. I've also been cutting way back on my caffeine intake -- I'm a 2-3 cup a day gal, and so I'm going to bring some coffee and then I have a couple 5-hour energies stored in my bag. My doc recommended modafinil for me for switching from days to nights, saying that she wished she had it in her residency, but it's like $700 for 10 tabs, so that's not going to happen!

If the first two shifts of my internship are any indication of how this year is going to be...... I think I am going to hit the euthanasia record :( Sucks.

I survived my first overnight! I got to tap a belly for the first time and I even got to see my own case. Super exciting! Starting more real doctor things and less shadowing tomorrow :D

Reactions: 5 users
:( Always here if you need to talk/vent/commiserate.

Thanks friend.

First overnight shift tonight! So thankful to have 2 current interns and an internmate to share this shift with!

Tough day. Lost my first patient under anesthesia for a routine spay. I keep playing it over in my head, and I know that there's nothing that I should've done differently. I've had my share of euthanasias, but I feel like this is my first big loss. It's a hard pill to swallow.

Tough day. Lost my first patient under anesthesia for a routine spay. I keep playing it over in my head, and I know that there's nothing that I should've done differently. I've had my share of euthanasias, but I feel like this is my first big loss. It's a hard pill to swallow.
Last week was my first spay to go wrong. Sent home owner pulled in the drive and incision was bleeding like crazy. Brought her back and ligature had come off ovarian pedicle. She lost several liters of blood and of course I'm at a podunk mixed animal practice and no transfusion option so just had norm r. She made it, but found out she was positive for tick disease and wasn't clotting well. Super scary.
Same day had a puppy that was a starvation case die. First patient to die that I didn't make happen. :( Just have to keep pushing thru I guess.

Sorry to hear it. VIN has some good threads on these sorts of things, nice to read if only to feel like you aren't alone and that it wasn't your fault.

ugh. So difficult. :(

Last week was my first spay to go wrong. Sent home owner pulled in the drive and incision was bleeding like crazy. Brought her back and ligature had come off ovarian pedicle. She lost several liters of blood and of course I'm at a podunk mixed animal practice and no transfusion option so just had norm r. She made it, but found out she was positive for tick disease and wasn't clotting well. Super scary.
Same day had a puppy that was a starvation case die. First patient to die that I didn't make happen. :( Just have to keep pushing thru I guess.
Damn. At least you kept your head and made it through, and your patient lived, so that is win. Starvation cases are definitely heart wrenching. Hang in there! Even if you are in podunk, you are already bringing quality aid to the animals!