Class of 2018...how you doin? ;)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I registered for next semester's classes today. Ish is getting SO REAL, every single class is either a medicine class or a surgery class or lab. Now I just have to get through one long freaking month of exams and labs.... and then finals... and then I get to see my family and best friends who are visiting this break, YAY!

I got Tennessee! Moving to Knoxville in June! So excited and happy to finally have a definite and can start making plans :D @WildZoo
Congrats! Can't believe how fast and far ahead you guys found out. You guys will have a solid like 2.5 weeks of me whining in May between when we submit choices and when we get our assigned school LOL...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
We just finished our last exam before finals in 4 weeks! Well, we have surgery "exam," but it's not even on my radar right now. We do a behavior and training session with parrots on Thursday for Avian Medicine, I start Reptile Medicine & Surgery and Exotic Hoofstock Medicine next week, and I get nearly the entire week of Thanksgiving (done at Tuesday at noon) off and I JUST CAN'T CONTAIN MY HAPPINESS!!!

I feel like it's smooth sailing for the next few weeks until finals...I'm going to try and revel in the lull. :X3:

Members don't see this ad :)
Today I am half-way done with my first block of clinical rotations! (Currently completed two weeks Equine Surgery and in the middle of the wonderfulness that is Equine Ambulatory. Then all that is left is two weeks on Equine med!). I'm still having quite the time adjusting to the mayhem of clinics, but I am very slowly getting used to it.

Reactions: 2 users
I feel like it's smooth sailing for the next few weeks until finals...I'm going to try and revel in the lull. :X3:

Glad you're feeling that... I'm feeling the opposite. I can't even get excited about my family and best friend visiting over Christmas break because while they remind me daily what the count down is I just keep thinking ugh that means only X amount of days to get through the bajillion exams and labs that are November and then two weeks to inhale and then 5 finals. My first of the November midterms is Friday and it pretty much doesn't stop until December. Wah.

Finished what I'm pretty sure will be the hardest block of rotations for me... It was a constant struggle to adjust and honestly I didn't know how I would get through at some points.

But now I'm off to do electives in my interest:love:, and to complete some fun externships, and to spend Christmas with my family and SO. I just couldn't be happier! :D

We have today and then 5 more days between tomorrow and next week (and only 3 finals, hallelujah!) before freedom. I'll be spending this break just enjoying my free time. Only going to work a day or two, which is a first as I've worked every break of vet school. I'll also be spending some time at an exotics clinic near my parents' house where two of the vets are licensed rehabbers. I'm sooo excited!

Hopefully everyone else slogging through classes is done soon! One more semester for us 3+1 peeps! ^___^

I have classes until Tuesday and then 4 finals from next Friday to the following Thursday. Of course I'm in the group that has labs until 5 right to the last day of classes. Definitely looking forward to break where I'll go visit with my mom and relax. Amazing to think there is only 1 more semester until clinics.

We have 5 finals starting next Thursday and ending the following Friday. So ready to be done with classes and in clinics in January!

We have our first final tomorrow, then Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday of next week, and I'm flying home Saturday! :D Super jelly of people already in clinics or close to being in clinics! One more semester for us here on the island, but we get a lot of clinic and "rotation" time in the afternoons next term. It's starting to hit me that next semester is our last one here and it's going to be so hard to say bye to all my amazing friends I've made these last few years

Just had my clinics schedule released. We start May 1st and each rotation is 2 weeks long. Hard to believe it's almost time for clinics

It really is hard to believe! Jealous you have your schedule! I'm still waiting to hear back from Tennessee so I can hopefully request things and get a schedule made

We haven't even submitted anything for our schedules yet... :(

Also, one more final between me and freedom. It's radiology. It's cumulative and more than 55% of our final grade. No pressure or anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
FREEEEEEEEDOM!!! -sleeps for 10 years-

Reactions: 3 users
One. More. AWFUL. Final. Large animal surgery... I swear I just have a mental block when it comes to horses. I go into all of her exams feeling like I know things, and then it just doesn't translate. Oh well, this time tomorrow I'll be drunk!

And here I am just getting ready for my first final :( I'll be done with finals next Thursday and can't wait for it. For those of you done or close to it, have a great break!

Reactions: 1 users
We have class all the way until next Tuesday, Wednesday off, and then finals Thursday and Friday. We haven't even put in our info for clinics yet, even though we start in March. It's adding to the anxiety.

Done with the semester, clinics schedule finalized, and externships scheduled. Onto a well-deserved rest, and binge watching Game of Thrones!! Happy Holidays, 2018ers! Can't believe that clinics are right around the corner!

Came out to Tennessee yesterday to check out apartments for fourth year. Got a tour of the teaching hospital today by two SGU students, one of which I kind of knew from when she was still in Grenada, and they love it! So far I love it too, I can't wait for June so I can start rotations here! I also have no idea which apartments to apply for, I liked pretty much all the places I looked at...

And so begins our final classroom semester... :soexcited:

I can't believe you guys are starting clinics soon and kicking us out the door!

Oh! Do you happen to have Equine Field Service or Equine Medicine on clinics? I might see you :)
You've got to be getting excited for us to be kicking you out though. :) Are you sticking around after 4th year? I'm mixed CAE so you definitely might see me. Equine med is block 15 for me and EFS is block 21. If you're on Equine emergency at all, that's block 2 for me with equine surgery sometime after that but before equine med

We only get a 4-week block of orthopedic surgery this semester. I'm really going to miss surgery and my surgery mates. :( But looking forward to my more lax schedule (only 21 credit hours instead of the 30 from last semester) and the electives I'm in! Oh and getting our 4th year schedule--whenever that happens...ha.

We only get a 4-week block of orthopedic surgery this semester. I'm really going to miss surgery and my surgery mates. :( But looking forward to my more lax schedule (only 21 credit hours instead of the 30 from last semester) and the electives I'm in! Oh and getting our 4th year schedule--whenever that happens...ha.

I'm with you on wanting my 4th year schedule. I wish Tennessee would email me SOMETHING! Even just knowing my starting date would be nice, all I know is some time in June haha. I can't make any plans with that!

Got the email from VetPrep people today about their specials for NAVLE prep... And realized I actually have to pay attention to it now and start planning, and potentially buying :O

We're in our last quarter of class time! It's exciting and terrifying all at once. Still waiting to even start scheduling any 4th year clinic rotations. Externships have not been going my way lately as they either don't respond, are full, or can't do the externship due to the person in charge not being around for the time period specified. I've applied to like 4 things and only have 1 verified. Sad times. Hopefully everyone else is having better luck.

We're in our last quarter of class time! It's exciting and terrifying all at once. Still waiting to even start scheduling any 4th year clinic rotations. Externships have not been going my way lately as they either don't respond, are full, or can't do the externship due to the person in charge not being around for the time period specified. I've applied to like 4 things and only have 1 verified. Sad times. Hopefully everyone else is having better luck.
Hope it all works out for you.

I've got my schedule and know when my elective rotations are. I've figured out what I want to do with 1 but that leaves me with 2 others to fill. Luckily I don't need to let the school know where I'll be until 30 days before the elective block starts.

We had a zuku and vetprep info session this week... I cant believe its time :eek:
Same here. I love how they are pushing their prep materials when vetprep said most students don't start studying until August

Hope it all works out for you.

I've got my schedule and know when my elective rotations are. I've figured out what I want to do with 1 but that leaves me with 2 others to fill. Luckily I don't need to let the school know where I'll be until 30 days before the elective block starts.

Same here. I love how they are pushing their prep materials when vetprep said most students don't start studying until August

I'm glad you mentioned people not studying until August, I was wondering when I should start and when most people usually do

I'm glad you mentioned people not studying until August, I was wondering when I should start and when most people usually do

I was aiming to start over the summer since I have a few awkward one week breaks between externships.. but thats my ambitious plan, we'll see what happens haha. It looks like most of the plans have special deals where if you buy earlier they extend them to exam time and it's not that much more, so I might bite the bullet and just buy it early.

And yeah, the SAVMA post navle survey results said something about the bulk of people starting in August, though some start earlier or later than that of course.

I think I'm going to go with VetPrep...but it's such a large chunk of money. I'm hoping to get back enough in tax returns to pay for it.

I finally got the last piece of paperwork I needed to submit my alternative track curriculum. Just need to edit a few things on my justification page and I'll be good to go! Fingers crossed that the Curriculum Committee gives it the green light. I've put so much work into lining up my externships...

I can't believe it's time to start thinking about the NAVLE already... where is the time going????? :eek:

This last block of clinics (externships, vacations, and off-campus electives) has been pure bliss. I'm not going to lie, I'm kinda dreading my next block (especially anatomical pathology which just isn't my jam, though I think clin path will be fine/good). I'm hoping it will be better than what I'm expecting and I'll be able to adjust back to quite a bit of daily lecture time.... I definitely do not miss class one bit :p

I think I'm going to go with VetPrep...but it's such a large chunk of money. I'm hoping to get back enough in tax returns to pay for it.

I finally got the last piece of paperwork I needed to submit my alternative track curriculum. Just need to edit a few things on my justification page and I'll be good to go! Fingers crossed that the Curriculum Committee gives it the green light. I've put so much work into lining up my externships...
Ooh, that sounds exciting! What sort of things will be different for the alternative track? Any externship/opportunity that you are really excited for? Fingers crossed you'll get the approval easily!

Ooh, that sounds exciting! What sort of things will be different for the alternative track? Any externship/opportunity that you are really excited for? Fingers crossed you'll get the approval easily!

Thank you, me too! As for my externships, they include a zoo, safari park, 2 exotics-exclusive practices, and a wildlife center. I think all in all, I'd end up spending about 20 weeks away from campus, not including our 2 week vacation rotation and the 2 weeks we get for "intersemester" break. I'm super stoked, but also nervous I'll somehow get shut down. My plan has been approved by an appropriate member of the faculty, so in theory, there shouldn't be a problem...but, well...I don't always tend to have the best luck. :|

My diagnostic imaging class today is so fun. We entered the radiology twilight zone, have had other sound effects, suggested we should play radiology pictionary, and have now learned about alabama microchips (if I remembered that correctly) aka balistic foreign bodies. Not to mention the many tangents we've gone off on. I think I like this professor. Definitely makes the learning fun

Reactions: 1 users
My diagnostic imaging class today is so fun. We entered the radiology twilight zone, have had other sound effects, suggested we should play radiology pictionary, and have now learned about alabama microchips (if I remembered that correctly) aka balistic foreign bodies. Not to mention the many tangents we've gone off on. I think I like this professor. Definitely makes the learning fun

Haha, that sounds awesome. I love radiology :love:

Can't believe it's that time already. Today marks the start of 6 weeks of live surgeries for my class! I don't start until next week and then I will have surgery every other week. I'm on anesthesia first, primary surgeon second (likely on a spay), and then assistant for the last surgery

:clap::claps:My class finally got a survey sent out for our preferences for clinics that start in March!

This Friday is the day the Curriculum Committee meets to approve (or not) my 4VM schedule. Super nervous. All my fingers and toes are crossed that they give me the green light!

:clap::claps:My class finally got a survey sent out for our preferences for clinics that start in March!

So jealousssssss! My friend who is going to UF for clinics got an email from them today with all their rotation info so they can start the scheduling process, some people in my class already know their whole rotation schedule for where they're going. I'm still waiting on just a freaking START DATE from Tennessee. I'm so anxious! I just want them to tell me somethinggggg haha

So jealousssssss! My friend who is going to UF for clinics got an email from them today with all their rotation info so they can start the scheduling process, some people in my class already know their whole rotation schedule for where they're going. I'm still waiting on just a freaking START DATE from Tennessee. I'm so anxious! I just want them to tell me somethinggggg haha
So you theoretically don't even know when your rotations will start? Do you guys normally get a break between the end of class and the start of clinics or does it just depend?

In other news, my path rotation is actually.... okay. Lots of great stuff for the NAVLE, though I would prefer a wee bit less lectures/busy work/extra assignments/icu duties.

Oh well, at least the hours aren't that bad.

So you theoretically don't even know when your rotations will start? Do you guys normally get a break between the end of class and the start of clinics or does it just depend?

Nope, Tennessee has given us zero information so far about a starting date so officially we still don't know when we start, other than the very vague "June." :p I emailed some people there last week asking if they could tell me when we have orientation and all the guy would tell me is that historically orientation has been Thursday and Friday of the week before we start our first rotation, so with that and info I've gotten from previous students who went there I'm guessing orientation starts June 1st for us. It would be nice to know for sure though... Everyone gets some kind of break before starting clinics, but some much more than others. People going to UF and UGA for example have ~10 days between our last final here and their first day of rotations/orientation!

We were supposed to have that survey in September, got pushed back to November, then December, and then finally got it 6 weeks away from clinic start date. I won't know my full schedule until at the earliest the end of this month.

At least you know where you're going already :arghh: the good news is we just got the email with the official date that my class will find out our placements (May 26) and I also ordered my NAVLE prep package yesterday :nailbiting: its all getting so real!

In less exciting news I have 3 exams in a week starting Monday (4 exams in 2 weeks... but the 4th is the "easy" class and we have a whole week to focus on studying for that so no biggie). Large animal med, small animal med II, and small animal surgery. Say a prayer for me :xf:

@Zensing how did your surgery go? Just noticed you're class of 2018 so hope you don't mind me dragging you in here :)

Does anyone else have surgeries coming up?
I had a fairly uneventful time on anesthesia yesterday and Harley the boxer is now down two parts and went home this morning. :soexcited: Only 2 more surgeries to go!

Good luck to everyone taking exams!

Also, @epivetlove have you been given the green light yet? Hoping for the best for you!

Thank you so much! I did actually get the approval e-mail today!!! So excited! I don't have my full schedule yet, but I now know all my externship dates and my vacation rotation! It's getting so real!

Reactions: 5 users