Class of 2019...how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oooo. And it is a possibility we get our 4th schedules tomorrow. Here's hoping. haha
I like my schedule. I didn't get the ophtho rotation I wanted, but more spay and neuter, so I'm okay with that. Ready to just be over there already, and now that I have a schedule I'm even less enthused about the remaining classroom time. lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Muahahahaaa! Ice day called and no class tomorrow. Delightful since I had been putting off studying for my urinary exam for tomorrow AM, and had a headache tying to study today. Plus, I don't have to try and find nice clothes for a communication exercise. Happy Lupin is happy.

Reactions: 2 users
I like my schedule. I didn't get the ophtho rotation I wanted, but more spay and neuter, so I'm okay with that. Ready to just be over there already, and now that I have a schedule I'm even less enthused about the remaining classroom time. lol
When do you start clinics?

Members don't see this ad :)
We also start May 7th and we won’t get our schedules until some time in April.
We got a schedule in September, but it was pretty clear it was completely made up. We're still waiting for our real schedules. I think c/o 2018 got theirs the week before clinics started, and only for the first few blocks.

It's kinda sad because I know a few people who have lost out on great externships solely because they couldn't tell the place when they for sure could come.

We got a schedule in September, but it was pretty clear it was completely made up. We're still waiting for our real schedules. I think c/o 2018 got theirs the week before clinics started, and only for the first few blocks.

It's kinda sad because I know a few people who have lost out on great externships solely because they couldn't tell the place when they for sure could come.

Yeah, that is not a proper way to insure students can plan their externships accordingly imo. I feel for you guys for sure.

Got my first block....equine surgery. Holy hell, talk about hitting the ground running

Got my first block....equine surgery. Holy hell, talk about hitting the ground running
That was my first rotation! You can do it!

Also, it's great to get the suckier ones out of the way even though you may not enjoy it, it will go by fast and then you will be done with it!

That was my first rotation! You can do it!

Also, it's great to get the suckier ones out of the way even though you may not enjoy it, it will go by fast and then you will be done with it!
Do the **** ones first so the rest of clinics are smooth sailing. ;)
This is what I'm telling myself. It may be good since we've covered a lot of equine stuff this year, so hopefully the material will be fresher. I just don't want to completely bomb the rotation and set a bad tone for the rest of the year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am on Anesthesiology first. I'm sure I'll have more hair raising ones there than my happy slappy shelter dogs. haha

I had that first. I didn’t like it, but I think I would have hated it at any point. Just pay close attention, work on protocols, be diligent, mind the effin pop-off valve, and keep busy cleaning and sorting and stocking when there is down time.

Reactions: 1 users
I am on Anesthesiology first. I'm sure I'll have more hair raising ones there than my happy slappy shelter dogs. haha
I like anesthesia, but our monitoring sheets suck and give me anxiety. We have to make little dots and symbols on a graph. I always mark them on the wrong line haha

I like anesthesia, but our monitoring sheets suck and give me anxiety. We have to make little dots and symbols on a graph. I always mark them on the wrong line haha

yeah, we have the same. At first it was awkward, but we do minimum six rounds for jr sx, so I've gotten it down no problem by now. lol

I had that first. I didn’t like it, but I think I would have hated it at any point. Just pay close attention, work on protocols, be diligent, mind the effin pop-off valve, and keep busy cleaning and sorting and stocking when there is down time.

Haha! I think Dr. G is luckily waiting til July to retire, so I'll have her before she goes.

:barf: Now that is my idea of a bad first rotation.
I haven't decided how I feel about it yet. I mean, I like adrenaline, so that aspect is good, but I had a hound pup that took thirty five minutes to wake up the other day after having to bag her the entire time and I didn't like that feeling in the least. It will likely always be a mixed feeling.

Welp, another week has gone by with no schedule.

For context, we are being told "you will get them next week" every week. Clinics start in 24 days, and it's going to be a problem if they try to give us them right before people leave for spring break. Our scheduling person won't answer emails.

We finally got our schedules (although they are still probably going to change). I get my equine and farms stuff done in the first several blocks, and my horse ones are timed so that I am gonna catch the end of foaling season :D

I'm looking at my blocks now though and it just doesn't seem that two weeks is enough time.

We finally got our schedules (although they are still probably going to change). I get my equine and farms stuff done in the first several blocks, and my horse ones are timed so that I am gonna catch the end of foaling season :D

I'm looking at my blocks now though and it just doesn't seem that two weeks is enough time.

2 week rotations are tough. By the time you understand how that rotation wants things and are getting the hang of it, you move onto the next one. But they are short enough that if you don’t like it you just have to tell yourself you can do anything for 2 weeks

Most of ours are two weeks too. For the most part, I think 2 weeks is normally a good amount of time. There are a few though that are either "Well I just got comfortable and now we have to switch?? But I wanted to see an X case!" or "...yup I only needed one week of that one thank gosh that's over." I kinda like it because it breaks up clinics nicely and I still feel like I learn things. For our three week rotations I never thought I particularly learned way more than if I had it for two weeks, but who knows.

Our blocks are three weeks, but we can turn externships into two to get a few more in. Down to 8 exams left...
My last two are tomorrow and Friday. White coat sunday, then I have my OSCE (clinical skills exam, idk if these are a thing elsewhere) Monday and a milestone Wednesday, which I am not ready for. Pretty sure the only exam that is that cumulative should be the NAVLE, but whatever.

Luckily I get to head home for break Wednesday after that exam since I'll have nothing else. I feel bad for the people with their OSCEs on Friday afternoon.

My last two are tomorrow and Friday. White coat sunday, then I have my OSCE (clinical skills exam, idk if these are a thing elsewhere) Monday and a milestone Wednesday, which I am not ready for. Pretty sure the only exam that is that cumulative should be the NAVLE, but whatever.

Luckily I get to head home for break Wednesday after that exam since I'll have nothing else. I feel bad for the people with their OSCEs on Friday afternoon.

Ohio is getting ready to start having a clinical skills exam. I’ve heard this year they will make the 3rd years take it as a benchmark for a class that didn’t get to use the clinical skills lab that is currently being built

Ohio is getting ready to start having a clinical skills exam. I’ve heard this year they will make the 3rd years take it as a benchmark for a class that didn’t get to use the clinical skills lab that is currently being built
I think prepping for them can be useful, especially before clinics. However, at least how it's done here...the grading is so subjective even though it's supposed to be objective. Not everyone has the same evaluator for the same station from day to day, a fourth year helping out with the exam is going to grade me differently on the horse station than someone boarded in equine med, etc. They usually just end up being frustrating af instead of educational.

Two weeks from starting clinics and we still don't have schedules. We had a few blocks given to us, but my first block has already changed. I went from equine surgery to SA ER. Now I'm being told that I can't have dentistry because our schedule person overbooked the service. We'll see what happens next.

Two weeks from starting clinics and we still don't have schedules. We had a few blocks given to us, but my first block has already changed. I went from equine surgery to SA ER. Now I'm being told that I can't have dentistry because our schedule person overbooked the service. We'll see what happens next.
Yeesh. That sounds incredibly unpleasant. Sorry you are having to deal with that.

My spay today was super sweet sixty pound sharpei mix. SOOO MUCH FAT though. lol

Yeesh. That sounds incredibly unpleasant. Sorry you are having to deal with that.

My spay today was super sweet sixty pound sharpei mix. SOOO MUCH FAT though. lol
We had to spay a little dog that we discovered was pregnant at the time. She wasn't big, but her mammary glands were pretty well developed and sifting through all of the fat on midline was not fun. There was a lot of 'Is this the linea? No, maybe this?'

Another enjoyable day over at the hospital. Very much looking forward to being over there full time and putting the learning into action. We had an icteric kitty in today and we had everyone guess what we thought the bilirubin number would turn out to be. I should have put the serum tube on white and I think I would have been closer. Everyone underestimated it though. Poor kitteh! :(

Suckas!!! OK sticks to pretty traditional 3+1 dates matching undergrad holidays.
Currently on my last spring break as well! I got to leave town a few days early, too.

Got our final exam scores back...I bombed one of them so there goes any hope of a decent grade for my last quarter :smack: Whatever. My dog was in a surgery that couldn't happen any other day/week, so given that, I did pretty decent. Hard to believe that I'm probably done with classes forever.

Got our final exam scores back...I bombed one of them so there goes any hope of a decent grade for my last quarter :smack: Whatever. My dog was in a surgery that couldn't happen any other day/week, so given that, I did pretty decent. Hard to believe that I'm probably done with classes forever.

Boo on the bomb, but you're through. Hope the pup is recovering alright! You are knocking on the door for clinics, so hope you have a restful week before the madness. :highfive:

My friend (first year student)'s dog passed away suddenly because of pneumonia this week and this IS her finals week for Winter Quarter. Making it worse the dog was at parents' home and not with her. I hope she can pull through all the exams when she's already heartbroken with the loss :(:(:(

Hope your dog is recovering well.

I was at our health center today too. I had to get a tb test so I can visit the non-human primate lab as part of the lab animal course. Also realized my tetanus vaccine was due yesterday, so I’ll get that done on Wednesday when I go back to have the tb test read. I have a feeling they’d want my tetanus vaccine up to date before I started clinics.

I was at our health center today too. I had to get a tb test so I can visit the non-human primate lab as part of the lab animal course. Also realized my tetanus vaccine was due yesterday, so I’ll get that done on Wednesday when I go back to have the tb test read. I have a feeling they’d want my tetanus vaccine up to date before I started clinics.
yeah, I'll be just under 10 years for my tetanus, so it can wait til I'm out in job land. haha

yeah, I'll be just under 10 years for my tetanus, so it can wait til I'm out in job land. haha
They said they could do the tetanus shot today, but I just did a pole dancing class on Saturday for my friend’s bachelorette party, and my arms are so sore. I didn’t want to do anything to make them more sore.

They said they could do the tetanus shot today, but I just did a pole dancing class on Saturday for my friend’s bachelorette party, and my arms are so sore. I didn’t want to do anything to make them more sore.

Might as well make them sore once rather than sore from pole dancing for a few days, recover and then have to be sore again.

tsk tsk tsk

it's every 5 years for those at risk

Yeah, I reluctantly got mine a couple weeks ago after I cut my toe on the rusty screen door walking into my parents' house. It had been 6 years since my previous tetanus vaccine.

As a side note: I apparently suck at spelling tetanus... I keep wanting to put the "n" before the "a" for some reason. So, for your info: It is tet with an anus.

Might as well make them sore once rather than sore from pole dancing for a few days, recover and then have to be sore again.
I’m glad I waited! If I had gotten the shot on Monday, I wouldn’t have been able to move my left arm at all! I was supposed to get it yesterday, but stupid foot of snow on the second day of spring.