Class of 2019...how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We have separate rotations - Avian & Exotics is all the companion exotics + wildlife, Zoo is specifically...well, zoo. We do have a cute acronym for the club (AWE: Avian, Wildlife, & Exotics). I like ZEW better though :p

Members don't see this ad.

My morning started slow. My first appointment was over 30min late, and ended up taking longer than expected. My second appointment was also late, thankfully, so I had about 10min to shovel food in my mouth. The second appointment ended up being totally insane, and took 2.5 hours! Thankfully my rotation mates helped or I might have imploded. Then I had to go talk to someone about my own dogs coming in to be part of a new cardiology study (cavalier life yo) tomorrow. When I got back to the treatment room to finish writing my report, everyone had left and my purse was locked in a side room that I don’t have a key for, and apparently neither does security. Thankfully I had my keys and trail pass with me, so I could get home. In all the end of day excitement, I also accidentally left my computer at school, so now I can’t study for our otitis rounds tomorrow. :yeahright:

At least the nurse complimented me on my jug stick skills on an wiggly, fearful, overweight GSD.

Tomorrow is procedure day, and I hope I get to go in with my GSD appointment from today! I’m pretty sure she has DLE, but we’re also removing two masses from her dorsum.

Reactions: 1 user
still have one last day on anesthesia and will be on call over the weekend, but I felt great today after researching a hard case and coming up with a plan and executing it. It went better than I had hoped and the anesthesia people were very pleased as well. Good feels. I have really enjoyed this rotation and learned so much that I will take into practice. Plus, I fortuitously happened in on a turtle case that is cool that I already read up on now for anesthesia since I'll be on that rotation next. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
still have one last day on anesthesia and will be on call over the weekend, but I felt great today after researching a hard case and coming up with a plan and executing it. It went better than I had hoped and the anesthesia people were very pleased as well. Good feels. I have really enjoyed this rotation and learned so much that I will take into practice. Plus, I fortuitously happened in on a turtle case that is cool that I already read up on now for anesthesia since I'll be on that rotation next. :)
Did you use acupuncture on the turtle?!?! (that is the extent of my turtle anesthesia knowledge)

Did you use acupuncture on the turtle?!?! (that is the extent of my turtle anesthesia knowledge)
Care to share your sources for this? I've never heard of it either (I only ask because there is a lot of iffy ways people 'anesthetize' fish, amphibians, and reptiles).

hmmmm, maybe analgesia for acupuncture, but I've never heard of it used to knock them out. So no, we will not be doing that. haha

Care to share your sources for this? I've never heard of it either (I only ask because there is a lot of iffy ways people 'anesthetize' fish, amphibians, and reptiles).
I will check my notes, but the acupuncture isn’t the actual anesthesia agent, but, turtles are apparently really good at shunting their blood from different areas (such as their lungs) making inhaled anesthetics kind of useless, but if you place a single needle in their nose, they can’t really shunt their blood away from their lungs, making the inhaled anesthetic more likely to work. I’m going off memory here, so those details may not be perfect. I’ll look it up when I’m on my computer though!

I will check my notes, but the acupuncture isn’t the actual anesthesia agent, but, turtles are apparently really good at shunting their blood from different areas (such as their lungs) making inhaled anesthetics kind of useless, but if you place a single needle in their nose, they can’t really shunt their blood away from their lungs, making the inhaled anesthetic more likely to work. I’m going off memory here, so those details may not be perfect. I’ll look it up when I’m on my computer though!
Yes, please share if you can! From my knowledge, utilizing the philtrum doesn't change anything physiologically and just stimulates the recipient to breathe (which would help if you're battling a dive response). I've successfully used it in apneic anesthetized birds and actually just talked about it with a zoo med clinician in the context of speeding up reptile anesthesia induction/recovery. Would be cool to know if there is evidence out there that it actually changes shunting.

I've never tried the philtrum in a turtle/tortoise mysef, I've always induced with propofol IV/IO (I've seen it done with the subcarapacial sinus and done it once myself, but you need to be confident in your stick and some people don't like inducing with the sinus) and maintained on gas. Never needed to stimulate breathing since you have to manually ventilate a chelonian the entire time it's fully anesthetized anyways.

I geek out over reptiles and I really like anesthesia :p

Yes, please share if you can! From my knowledge, utilizing the philtrum doesn't change anything physiologically and just stimulates the recipient to breathe (which would help if you're battling a dive response). I've successfully used it in apneic anesthetized birds and actually just talked about it with a zoo med clinician in the context of speeding up reptile anesthesia induction/recovery. Would be cool to know if there is evidence out there that it actually changes shunting.

I've never tried the philtrum in a turtle/tortoise mysef, I've always induced with propofol IV/IO (I've seen it done with the subcarapacial sinus and done it once myself, but you need to be confident in your stick and some people don't like inducing with the sinus) and maintained on gas. Never needed to stimulate breathing since you have to manually ventilate a chelonian the entire time it's fully anesthetized anyways.

I geek out over reptiles and I really like anesthesia :p
ah yes. We did do this to attempt to stimulate a wabbit to wake using just a needle, but I don't think it really did much.

ah yes. We did do this to attempt to stimulate a wabbit to wake using just a needle, but I don't think it really did much.
I haven't had much luck with it in mammals but there's good research out there that has really good success rates in cats/dogs.

99% of my experience is with wild animals that are only in my care because they have some sort of disease process going on, though. Sometimes hard to know if something just doesn't work all that well on its own, or if it's just not successful because we have patients that are days away from death's door most of the time.

I haven't had much luck with it in mammals but there's good research out there that has really good success rates in cats/dogs.

99% of my experience is with wild animals that are only in my care because they have some sort of disease process going on, though. Sometimes hard to know if something just doesn't work all that well on its own, or if it's just not successful because we have patients that are days away from death's door most of the time.
Yup. Plus each animal has its own natural period of breathing and waking up depending on physiology and duration/anesthetic agents, so hard to know if it actually had anything to do with the recovery. This was healthy animal just routine spay.

A few months ago a vet friend of mine (who graduated from the same school) told me I'd love clinics; I didn't believe her at the time, but I seem to be enjoying them so far... but I also have had two relatively easy rotations to start, ask me next month how I feel.

Also, why am I the only c/o 2019er with their clinical rotation schedule as their signature? Come on guys! Play along!

Reactions: 4 users
A few months ago a vet friend of mine (who graduated from the same school) told me I'd love clinics; I didn't believe her at the time, but I seem to be enjoying them so far... but I also have had two relatively easy rotations to start, ask me next month how I feel.

Also, why am I the only c/o 2019er with their clinical rotation schedule as their signature? Come on guys! Play along!
I'll do mine too so you don't feel alone :p

And I do like clinics too but haven't had any of the super demanding rotations yet (other than ER). So far, by the time I've reached a service, they've slowed down. I'm currently on equine med and I missed the last few weeks of foaling season when the service is slammed. We have had a whole 5ish appointments in the last two weeks. It's nice not to be slammed but then you're also losing out on all of the learning. It kinda sucks actually.

Members don't see this ad :)
. We have had a whole 5ish appointments in the last two weeks.

I was wondering what was going on down there. I got called in 5 times last quarter for EET. Then suddenly nothing.

I was wondering what was going on down there. I got called in 5 times last quarter for EET. Then suddenly nothing.
We have two foals, and their respective healthy mares. That's it. Even the colic emergency I had while I was on call went home a day later. I shouldn't complain because no one wants to be slammed, but when you think about it, this is our last chance to see these cases before the NAVLE.

That's amazing!!! Good luck!!! I'm over 3 years away but it still makes me nervous to think about :p
Time flies really. And if you simply learn the material as you go through your years, it really isn't all that scary in my opinion. I've gone through some vet prep and I feel like most of the material I have a solid base for having kept the knowledge building throughout my years. And clinics is just putting that foundation to the test to build your ability to put it all together. Plus I have a decent awareness of where my knowledge gaps are now, so I can hit those and boost that before the actual test comes. I am one of the lucky ones though that hasn't had issues with test anxiety, so I thank my stars for that.

I'm so tired. I'd like to have just one day this week where I spend less than 13 hours at school. Today I barely even got lunch, I basically just shoved food in my face between appointments while typing up discharges and internal notes... speaking of, I still have some to finish. Fingers crossed that tomorrow will be a bit better... though I've heard it likely won't be.

I'm so tired. I'd like to have just one day this week where I spend less than 13 hours at school. Today I barely even got lunch, I basically just shoved food in my face between appointments while typing up discharges and internal notes... speaking of, I still have some to finish. Fingers crossed that tomorrow will be a bit better... though I've heard it likely won't be.
oof. yeah, SAIM will be my rotation after next. I had Sunday night called in at midnight then again at 2 am that lasted until four then had to be back at 7. I was on the struggle bus Monday for sure.

Registered for NAVLE. Checking those boxes for licensed to practice! :heckyeah:
Same, cried a little at the $$$.

Also, why does applying in your chosen state have to be so confusing? Some states aren't so bad but some are requiring transcripts, a letter from your school, etc.

Same, cried a little at the $$$.

Also, why does applying in your chosen state have to be so confusing? Some states aren't so bad but some are requiring transcripts, a letter from your school, etc.
yeah, we got sent all the stuff needed if using OK, but I was not, so luckily the state I have chosen seems to be if NAVLE peeps approve you for them, you are approved for the state. plus much less $$

yeah, we got sent all the stuff needed if using OK, but I was not, so luckily the state I have chosen seems to be if NAVLE peeps approve you for them, you are approved for the state. plus much less $$
Also salty at the fact that I have no idea where I'm going so I just picked my home state as a default. Now that I've done that, I pretty much sealed the deal on getting a job in any other state so I'll have to pay more for their license.

Also salty at the fact that I have no idea where I'm going so I just picked my home state as a default. Now that I've done that, I pretty much sealed the deal on getting a job in any other state so I'll have to pay more for their license.
I cracked up a bit that OK charges 185 for their fee but then say they wave the 85 dollar fee if you need to transfer. Basically they are ensuring they get $85 more dollars from those that didn't plan on practicing elsewhere and making it seem like a deal for those that don't know yet. :/

Man. A beer with some chips and salsa plus guac tastes so freaking good after a long day without lunch. Plus, I got complimented and thanked for my anesthesia skills with a nestling red tailed hawk today, and I managed to get blood without blowing the jug too badly this time, so it feels good. On the other hand, had to tell an owner the procedure we performed did not yield an answer on another case and it was very disappointing all the way around. My heart sank when I saw the cytology results. Owner is of course the most caring and sweetest person ever and always makes me tear up when I can't give an answer.

I haven't had more than 5hrs of sleep this week and I've spent 12+ hours at the hospital each day. It was all kind of worth it today when my one patient who was transferred to ICU yesterday, was transferred back today, and is doing SO much better. The owner came to visit and we talked for a bit. As we were walking out she thanked me for everything I've done for her dog and said she really enjoyed speaking with me. It was a really amazing feeling. I'm also super optimistic that by morning her dog is going to be doing so amazing and will be able to go home by the evening. He was kicking butt this afternoon.

Reactions: 6 users
I haven't had more than 5hrs of sleep this week and I've spent 12+ hours at the hospital each day. It was all kind of worth it today when my one patient who was transferred to ICU yesterday, was transferred back today, and is doing SO much better. The owner came to visit and we talked for a bit. As we were walking out she thanked me for everything I've done for her dog and said she really enjoyed speaking with me. It was a really amazing feeling. I'm also super optimistic that by morning her dog is going to be doing so amazing and will be able to go home by the evening. He was kicking butt this afternoon.
Internal med must be rough for every school, then. I haven't had it yet but your lack of sleep is on par with Illinois' IM service. Glad you're getting some much deserved recognition!

IM is insane but the wins are suuuccchhh good wins.

I've been thinking about applying for an externship at UC Davis and was wondering if anyone is there and could help me out with the schedule.

I emailed the person there who's in charge of applications for externships to ask when the two week blocks are in December and January so I can see if any would potentially fit with my schedule. If the schedule there doesn't even work with mine, there's no point in me applying. Instead of answering my question, I just got a response saying she'll be working on the applications later this month.

So, can anyone at Davis let me know what the dates of the two week blocks are in December 2018 and January 2019?

Other than organizing my last few externships (which will likely end up being at GP practices over here in the UK), rotations are going great. I surprising enjoyed my last farm one, but I'm kind of dreading my next one as it will be at the height of my hay fever season. I'm just hoping I'll be awake enough to engage with all the antihistamines I'll have on board.

(bumping)

Just seeing if anyone can help me out with the dates of the rotation blocks at UC Davis December 2018 and January 2019.

Thanks!

Last weekend of Zew. I have a sad, but I was the touch of death for most my patients, so hopefully the next crew will bring better luck. I learned so much though, especially since I was the one mostly in charge during emergencies and had a nice variety of species and problems to learn from. Good stuff indeed. Cheers, zew!!

I’m officially half way through small animal medicine. The first week was so rough, I wasn’t sure I learned anything. Had a dr tell me (nicely) that my discharges sucked (they did). Second week was better, and tonight I got a super nice text from the same doc that told me my discharges sucked saying my recent ones were excellent! I almost cried from joy and sleep deprivation. Tomorrow is my first day off in two weeks. I plan on enjoying every moment.

Reactions: 4 users
I’m officially half way through small animal medicine. The first week was so rough, I wasn’t sure I learned anything. Had a dr tell me (nicely) that my discharges sucked (they did). Second week was better, and tonight I got a super nice text from the same doc that told me my discharges sucked saying my recent ones were excellent! I almost cried from joy and sleep deprivation. Tomorrow is my first day off in two weeks. I plan on enjoying every moment.
yeah, my medical records and discharges were pretty weak. Still needs work in my opinion, but they are improving thanks to the efforts of our zew intern. She is fantastic about letting me fail then learn and improve exponentially. I am very thankful to have had her early so when I hit internal med in two rotations, I have a better handle on this particular aspect.

Reactions: 1 users

Everyone's discharges suck at the beginning in some way, shape or form. With practice, you get better. Also remember that there is a chance you'll run into that one intern/resident/clinician who is never happy with discharges regardless of how good they are simply because they're "not how they'd do it". Just keep trucking along and learning, you'll do fine. :)

hehe. Had to go in and do rads on a kitteh as in charge rads person. It was a bumbling effort with an overweight guy who was sadly covered in urine. They got got through and satisfactory minus some extra inches since I was having a hard time finding landmarks through the wiggling and chubbiness for proper collimation. Now my cats are giving me the stank face that appears when they smell... that smell. Guess I should attempt a quick shower in the risk another phone call comes in. lol

Impatiently waiting on my pregnant mare to foal. Due date was today, she's still several days out from actually foaling.

Reactions: 1 users
Impatiently waiting on my pregnant mare to foal. Due date was today, she's still several days out from actually foaling.
was there a birth yet?

I had a big TB today that was a crank until he got some dex... then he was a total doll. Also had a little 4 mo old foal for chest rads. I appreciated the little guy not trying to knock my head into next Tuesday with his head. ha

was there a birth yet?

I had a big TB today that was a crank until he got some dex... then he was a total doll. Also had a little 4 mo old foal for chest rads. I appreciated the little guy not trying to knock my head into next Tuesday with his head. ha
Still waiting. She was due the 19th!

I’m enjoying my first holiday block since rotations started in February. One of the best things about being at a UK school is how cheap and easy it is to go to Europe for a holiday. I’m in Italy enjoying the sun and going to a family wedding soon. Then it’s back to the grind, starting with a farm rotation. Hope you guys get a break sometime soon!

Reactions: 3 users
So crazy when a kitteh comes in and you think they have to be 18 or so, but you find out they are only 10. Amazing what FIV can do sometimes. :(

We had some weird Pomsky thing come in today, I swear it looked to be 16 years old. It was only 16 weeks old with puppy teeth and everything... (and it was healthy, as far as we know).

FIV sucks though.

And we have a foal!! Healthy little colt. So glad she foaled before I had to leave for my externship!

Reactions: 7 users
Woof. Friend just called me super upset. She fell asleep during an overnight patient watch shift over the weekend (unintentionally of course) and now has a big meeting with the head clinician on the service and possibly the head of medicine. Didn't know how to make her feel better about the situation but we talked about how it might be better to be proactive in terms of wanting to make amends as opposed to just letting them chastise her and then assign a punishment.

Woof. Friend just called me super upset. She fell asleep during an overnight patient watch shift over the weekend (unintentionally of course) and now has a big meeting with the head clinician on the service and possibly the head of medicine. Didn't know how to make her feel better about the situation but we talked about how it might be better to be proactive in terms of wanting to make amends as opposed to just letting them chastise her and then assign a punishment.
Yiiiiiiiikes. Are those solo shifts?

Yiiiiiiiikes. Are those solo shifts?
Yeah, all of our overnight/weekend stuff is solo. For equine, there is usually a tech there on weeknights but other than that you're dealing with horses alone.

For her shift specifically, she was sitting in a room watching a parvo puppy in isolation via a live camera. Can understand why you would doze off if you're just sitting at a table and not allowed to leave from 1AM-8AM, but still not a good situation.