Class of 2019...how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First day of clinics. Of course, I'm up at 8am when my first shift is 4pm-3am, but I was proactive and bought a case of Monster :p Pretty nervous.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had a dream last night that I was graduating and I totally forgot to apply for any jobs and I felt like I was going to be at a severe disadvantage and I was going to have a really hard time finding a job since I waited so long.
(fwiw I didn't start looking at jobs until after I graduated because I wanted to take a short break and was fiiinneee).

Reactions: 1 user
I had a dream last night that I was graduating and I totally forgot to apply for any jobs and I felt like I was going to be at a severe disadvantage and I was going to have a really hard time finding a job since I waited so long.
Over spring break, I had a few dreams where I had my schedule all wrong, and a clinician called asking where I was (and my fiance and I were in FL on a vacation we booked).

Funny story is that actually happened to at least one of my classmates today, although the school gave the student one schedule and the hospital another. So not the student's fault at all.

I'm not looking forward to the dreams that will start as graduation gets closer.

Over spring break, I had a few dreams where I had my schedule all wrong, and a clinician called asking where I was (and my fiance and I were in FL on a vacation we booked).

Funny story is that actually happened to at least one of my classmates today, although the school gave the student one schedule and the hospital another. So not the student's fault at all.

I'm not looking forward to the dreams that will start as graduation gets closer.

Illinois really borked their schedules this year, huh?

Down to just the 4 finals left!! Also got a nice scholarship that will help with all the costs of 4th year. Inching ever closer.

Hope you're hanging in there Pinky!!!
I'm liking ER! Busy but in a good way.

Members don't see this ad :)
We finally got our full schedules, although I am not going to be surprised if they change yet again.

This is my last week of classes... ever! It's so bizarre. Next week we have finals, most of which are take home and I've done one already. We only have one in class final and a presentation really. I can't believe I'll be in clinics in two weeks. People say they are really enjoying them, but I still feel like I'm going to be the idiot that doesn't know anything.

This is my last week of classes... ever! It's so bizarre. Next week we have finals, most of which are take home and I've done one already. We only have one in class final and a presentation really. I can't believe I'll be in clinics in two weeks. People say they are really enjoying them, but I still feel like I'm going to be the idiot that doesn't know anything.
Everyone is the idiot who doesn't know anything! :D

Haha! I am all done. Had a beer, but I think my celebrator is broken, cuz now I am just sitting in my recliner with kitteh watching the birds play in the yard.
That sounds like a perfect way to celebrate to me :)

Reactions: 2 users
Haha! I am all done. Had a beer, but I think my celebrator is broken, cuz now I am just sitting in my recliner with kitteh watching the birds play in the yard.
I've upped the celebration even more. I washed all my bed stuff and took a long shower. Ready for a little Westworld now.
o3TCtbB.png

Reactions: 1 users
@twelvetigers , currently sitting in first year classroom for the opperman all day lectures...

Hah. That first year classroom is the third year classroom, you guys just got royally screwed. #justsaying

All I remember from his lecture is that he told us to only accept fair pay, like such and such amount an hour, and some stuff about marketing your clinic... meh.

He got my name right but got at least three other peoples names wrong, which was odd.

... have fun! Snort.

I'm on my 5th week of clinics now (3 services so far), so still really new, but...

My advice: You may not know anything about a topic, but imo a clinician is more likely to appreciate you trying/guessing intelligently rather than just averting your gaze and staying silent. You may feel like an idiot (I definitely do), but you'll be surprised how often the answer you're thinking in your head will actually be correct, or at least on the right path.

Also, prepping for cases the night before really goes a long way.

I'm on my 5th week of clinics now (3 services so far), so still really new, but...

My advice: You may not know anything about a topic, but imo a clinician is more likely to appreciate you trying/guessing intelligently rather than just averting your gaze and staying silent. You may feel like an idiot (I definitely do), but you'll be surprised how often the answer you're thinking in your head will actually be correct, or at least on the right path.

Also, prepping for cases the night before really goes a long way.
I had planned on saying “hmm, I’m not sure at this moment, but can I get back to you?” An awful lot.

ETA: and actually find out and get back to them! Not just hope they forget!

I had planned on saying “hmm, I’m not sure at this moment, but can I get back to you?” An awful lot.

ETA: and actually find out and get back to them! Not just hope they forget!
Yeah that works too if you really have no clue. I just find if you have even a slight idea, sometimes telling them what you do know/what you think they are looking for just shows that you are at least hearing them and thinking about what they're asking (not that you wouldn't be if you wanted to look something up later, I just find that having a discussion about the question is better than just ending it with 'I don't know')

ETA: although it helps to try to know the clinician, too. some have zero patience for any 'I don't know,' others want you to look stuff up +/- present to the group the next day

Last edited:
So, we had our transition to white coat with patches ceremony today. My coat got switched with another girl's I guess for the embroidery, so I knew as soon as I slipped it on that it wasn't mine. The problem is that the girl who got mine needed a bigger coat, so she struggled to get it on. I felt so bad. :(

I am slightly irritated by it because to help prevent that from happening, I wrote my damn name on the inside tag. But nope.

Took my FINAL final exam ever this morning. It’s surreal. I know the next year will be intense and so much work, but this is what I’ve worked so hard to get to. Just really proud of us right now.

Took my FINAL final exam ever this morning. It’s surreal. I know the next year will be intense and so much work, but this is what I’ve worked so hard to get to. Just really proud of us right now.

Huzzah! Welcome to the done with class 4 eva club. :D

You guys starting on Monday as well?

Huzzah! Welcome to the done with class 4 eva club. :D

You guys starting on Monday as well?
I’d say half of us start tomorrow, half Monday, depending on what rotation we’re on first! I hope your 4th year starts well!!

Good luck today! I've started my morning with some Looney Toons and coffee. Think that sets the tone nicely. haha
I felt like other people on my rotation did study, but I still held my own. It’s pretty chill so far, and I started the day with a husky that shared my first name!

I felt like other people on my rotation did study, but I still held my own. It’s pretty chill so far, and I started the day with a husky that shared my first name!
I just got home. Anesthesia is nice as 5 pm is call time for the most part. Was fairly slow today which was nice to get in the swing of things. Had a mini horse case and a couple dogs.

Day 2- I am thrilled I will not have to keep a patient anesthetized that is geriatric and has been on meds that already crap out the BP and decidedly resistant to staying under while quickly wheeling them to various parts of the hospital switching out between monitors and ISO machines in each place. :cyclops:

Made it back to induction after traveling about to US and Radiology and before heading into a surgery suite, and someone else was on the machine I had set up for my patient. Had to hook him up to another one that turned out not to be set up for ISO but it was too late for me to see that and he tried to leap off the table. Good 'ol propofol, but still.

Good case for a second day though so I can see a crap load of things I will do different for this type of case in the future. haha

Reactions: 3 users
My second day was full of interesting radiology cases, including a puppy that ran away, was found a day later in a dog fighting ring, and then after the owner picked him up from the shelter, they got into a really bad accident. Pup and owners had a rough few days, but pup should recover just fine from his surgery to repair his proximal tibia Salter Harris Type II fracture. Oh, and my own stupid cat fell 2 stories through our roof (pretty much, long story) but appears to be fine. Getting that text while stuck at school an hour away was not fun.

I started to feel a but "doctory" today though. Not that I knew a lot, but I knew some, and mostly I just felt like the doctors we were working with actually respected us and our input.

Reactions: 6 users
To start off week 2, I accidentally locked the door from the kitchen to the garage behind me pulling clothes from the dryer. I only had ten minutes left to get out the door and to our morning rounds. Front door is always locked and I don't keep a spare outside. Luckily, I have a long ass reach and was able to put my arm through the cat door and with the extra inch and a half from a lighter, managed to unlock the door. Made it on time and with all the things I needed. lol

Reactions: 6 users
I can't believe how fast the weeks are going. I am glad to have one more week for three weeks total. I feel like anesthesia is one of the more important rotations, and I'm getting quite the introduction with perfect examples of what drugs can adversely do and what to do when it happens. I am much more comfortable this week, but still glad I've got one more to really sink my teeth in.

I've really enjoyed this rotation, and I'm so happy to have gotten to know some of this class's folks a bit better. Good times. I am looking forward to ZEW next for sure though. One more week to get a bit more confidence built up for anesthesia, then onto being a nooby noob again. It is a good feeling to go from incompetent to slightly less incompetent. :D

Reactions: 3 users
I've really enjoyed this rotation, and I'm so happy to have gotten to know some of this class's folks a bit better. Good times. I am looking forward to ZEW next for sure though. One more week to get a bit more confidence built up for anesthesia, then onto being a nooby noob again. It is a good feeling to go from incompetent to slightly less incompetent. :D
What is ZEW?

I'm already done rotation one, and on to rotation two! I really like derm, and the hours are wonderful, so I'm pretty happy right now!

What is ZEW?

I'm already done rotation one, and on to rotation two! I really like derm, and the hours are wonderful, so I'm pretty happy right now!
Zoo (we see OK city and Tulsa zoo animals sometimes): Exotics (pet birds + pockets): Wildlife

Fancy way to combine the possibilities while keeping the acronym appropriate. haha

Zoo (we see OK city and Tulsa zoo animals sometimes): Exotics (pet birds + pockets): Wildlife

Fancy way to combine the possibilities while keeping the acronym appropriate. haha
lol I wish we had a clever acronym like that. We have WEAMS (Wildlife and exotic animal medicine and surgery). Just isn't as catchy.

Reactions: 1 users