Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I think I'm officially no longer allowed to post in this thread, since I bit the bullet and just accepted the MPH/DVM offer from CSU. 2021 it is!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 14 users
So I think I'm officially no longer allowed to post in this thread, since I bit the bullet and just accepted the MPH/DVM offer from CSU. 2021 it is!

Good for you!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just want it to be April 15 so my decision can be made and I can be done with this application process.

I know it. I know I'm in a good position and I should be thankful, but being waitlisted IS is already super nervewracking. They take 60~ ISers and 9 alternates. That tells me very few people turn down their seats. I'm left to assume I'm going to Mississippi but I can't accept the offer yet, but at the same time class starts June 23rd there and I need to be finding a place to live and all that BUT there may be a chance that LSU will accept me after April 15th, but I'll have paid a $500 deposit and might have a place leased by then, and then at the same time a friend worked for an LSU grad that said he got called off of the waitlist the day before class started, but that will be too late because they don't start until August, and OOS tuition is terrifying and I'm just

:boom:

I know it. I know I'm in a good position and I should be thankful, but being waitlisted IS is already super nervewracking. They take 60~ ISers and 9 alternates. That tells me very few people turn down their seats. I'm left to assume I'm going to Mississippi but I can't accept the offer yet, but at the same time class starts June 23rd there and I need to be finding a place to live and all that BUT there may be a chance that LSU will accept me after April 15th, but I'll have paid a $500 deposit and might have a place leased by then, and then at the same time a friend worked for an LSU grad that said he got called off of the waitlist the day before class started, but that will be too late because they don't start until August, and OOS tuition is terrifying and I'm just

:boom:
Ugh, that definitely complicates things with Mississippi starting so early. But I would still pay the deposit at Mississippi and start looking for an apartment there. If you end up getting accepted at LSU, being out $500 and possibly an apartment deposit is still better than paying OOS tuition. But if it were me I would probably take myself off the waitlist after classes start at Mississippi. Finding an apartment and moving at the last minute would be a hassle no matter what, let alone if you've already moved elsewhere and gone though orientation and been in classes for ~2 months. But it's up to you.

Why does Mississippi start so early?

Because they have a 2+2 curriculum (2 years of classroom and 2 years of clinics). So they have to start earlier to get more class time/information in. They end in May though I believe. Which is the opposite of Mizzou (also 2+ 2), which starts in August with everyone else but goes alll. the. way. until. last. week. of. June. (But 4th year ends in May with the rest of the University).

Reactions: 1 users
Ugh, that definitely complicates things with Mississippi starting so early. But I would still pay the deposit at Mississippi and start looking for an apartment there. If you end up getting accepted at LSU, being out $500 and possibly an apartment deposit is still better than paying OOS tuition. But if it were me I would probably take myself off the waitlist after classes start at Mississippi. Finding an apartment and moving at the last minute would be a hassle no matter what, let alone if you've already moved elsewhere and gone though orientation and been in classes for ~2 months. But it's up to you.

Yeah, I'm already just acting like I'm going to MSU because I don't see the LSU waitlist moving. Almost 20 of the 60+ resident spots were gone the day after decisions went out, and that doesn't include the paperwork that will probably come in by snail mail on Monday. I already have a pretty good housing situation I'm working on in MS. I am waiting it out as long as I can with paying the class deposit... I'm trying to see how many seats go this week before I pay it, because they update the chart everyday M-F. Great thing about LSU is they keep you informed. They don't let you know where you fall on that waitlist of 10 people but they let you see how fast the class fills up so you can make the best decision, which I really appreciate. The alternate situation as far as I've heard seems to me like the only way I'd get a spot is if someone drops/defers after classes have started, which would be way too late for me.

Ashgirl get the nail on the head. It's the 2+2.

Is anyone considering starting a blog once they start school? I think it'd be a good outlet, and it's something I've never done before.

Is anyone considering starting a blog once they start school? I think it'd be a good outlet, and it's something I've never done before.

I've thought about it, but I don't think that I could be dedicated enough to keep up with it. I definitely think it would help show family/friends how and what you're doing though. I will continue to mull it over until school starts probably!

I try not to really do the online thing much: don't have a Facbook, don't do Twatter, Instagram, etc. I really feel like I should vlog my way through vet school though, not for me, but for kids. I've met a few kids recently out and about who are in similar situations to me, and I think about how exponentially more difficult it must be at that age, especially knowing how cruel and mean other children can be. There's only a few of us across the US doing this in vet school, so if my story could change a kid's life and make him/her think "Ok ya, I can be vet," that would seriously be worth it.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a blog that I started at the beginning of vet school and find it a wonderful outlet! It's a great destresser for me to rant about school at the end of a hard week.

I've thought about it, but I don't think that I could be dedicated enough to keep up with it. I definitely think it would help show family/friends how and what you're doing though. I will continue to mull it over until school starts probably!

I actually have thought about this because grad school got me so used to writing. I actually found that I enjoy it and it is definitely a good outlet. I think it could help some people who are trying to decide on vet school to take a step in the life of a vet student or it could help students going through the application process.

I try not to really do the online thing much: don't have a Facbook, don't do Twatter, Instagram, etc. I really feel like I should vlog my way through vet school though, not for me, but for kids. I've met a few kids recently out and about who are in similar situations to me, and I think about how exponentially more difficult it must be at that age, especially knowing how cruel and mean other children can be. There's only a few of us across the US doing this in vet school, so if my story could change a kid's life and make him/her think "Ok ya, I can be vet," that would seriously be worth it.

Do it!! That would be amazing. They need someone to look up to. If you're comfortable and willing to do it, it'd be sooooo worth it.

I have a blog that I started at the beginning of vet school and find it a wonderful outlet! It's a great destresser for me to rant about school at the end of a hard week.

That's exactly what I'm hoping it will do for me!

I thought about doing a blog detailing life as a mom and professional student, considering so many people are afraid to chase their career after starting a family. So I feel like it may help someone. But then I realized, oh yeah I'll be a mom and a professional student! Am I just going to pull more time out of my ass?

Reactions: 5 users
Since I'm on spring break this week, I've had time to get so much more done. I just finished my FAFSA finally, so now this whole vet school thing seems just a little more real. I'm wondering how I'll feel when the aid package comes in :confused:

Anyone else finding it extremely difficult to find motivation to finish this semester? o_O All I can think about is how excited I am for vet school!

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else finding it extremely difficult to find motivation to finish this semester? o_O All I can think about is how excited I am for vet school!

Oh yeah, it's bad. I loaded this semester with tough classes too. I have three tests when I come back from spring break. So this week is dedicated to studying and catching up on the things that I missed when I was daydreaming in class somedays :D

YES. It's a real struggle.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Ugh YES. Three midterms this week and I have barely studied. I normally am only happy with getting A's, but this semester I feel totally satisfied with B's

Oh gosh yes. Spring break started the day after I found out I was accepted. Today is my first day back and I just... am not caring. Especially about physics.

Reactions: 3 users
Oh gosh yes. Spring break started the day after I found out I was accepted. Today is my first day back and I just... am not caring. Especially about physics.

I cannot even express to you the amount I have stopped caring about physics

Reactions: 2 users
Just 38.5 days until the last day of class for the kiddos, 93.5 days until the last day of my contract. The countdown continues.

I cannot even express to you the amount I have stopped caring about physics
Goodness, yes. I thought I was apathetic about it before, but it's at a whole new level now that I know I just have to pass. It's also my only class on Tuesday/Thursday, so even getting myself to drive to campus for it is a challenge haha.

Im so glad that everyone is in the same "just have to pass" mentality as me :laugh:

Reactions: 3 users
Haha, for me it is Spanish...but I will happily take my Spanish over physics

Does anyone else keep having little, "I'll be in vet school then!" moments about things in the future?

I was looking for another half marathon in the area for this summer, and found one that looked like it had an interesting route. Then realized I'd be clear across the state then and couldn't do it because of school and got really excited again :laugh:

Im so glad that everyone is in the same "just have to pass" mentality as me :laugh:
YEP. It's a nice feeling after three years of that stressful 'have to make awesome grades' mentality! I don't want to tank this semester or anything, and I'm in some cool, relevant classes (parasitology, small animal A&P, and small animal disease)... but I'm also in physics. ;)
Haha, for me it is Spanish...but I will happily take my Spanish over physics
Oh, I don't blame you... I've never been good with foreign language classes, which is too bad because it would be really cool to learn one.

Does anyone else keep having little, "I'll be in vet school then!" moments about things in the future?

I was looking for another half marathon in the area for this summer, and found one that looked like it had an interesting route. Then realized I'd be clear across the state then and couldn't do it because of school and got really excited again :laugh:

Oh yeah, totally. Especially since I'll be moving/starting class in June. I wanted to do this thing with my mom late June and I definitely had the "oh, I'll be two days into my FIRST SEMESTER by then!" realization. I was disappointed but not. Vet school will be real rough, but I'd be lying if I said the six-hour move wouldn't be my long-needed closing a chapter, opening a new one in my life. I've seen the same stuff for 22 years.

Oh yeah, totally. Especially since I'll be moving/starting class in June. I wanted to do this thing with my mom late June and I definitely had the "oh, I'll be two days into my FIRST SEMESTER by then!" realization. I was disappointed but not. Vet school will be real rough, but I'd be lying if I said the six-hour move wouldn't be my long-needed closing a chapter, opening a new one in my life. I've seen the same stuff for 22 years.

MS State starts so early! They're 2+2 though, right?

I feel you on needing to move away. Pullman is pretty much the least exciting place I can think of to move to (the Palouse is beautiful though! And I liked Moscow), but a change of pace will be nice.

I know location won't really matter once school has started, but just being somewhere new is very much needed.

MS State starts so early! They're 2+2 though, right?

I feel you on needing to move away. Pullman is pretty much the least exciting place I can think of to move to (the Palouse is beautiful though! And I liked Moscow), but a change of pace will be nice.

I know location won't really matter once school has started, but just being somewhere new is very much needed.

Yeah, 2+2! Semesters start in June and run to Christmas :nailbiting:
I mean I'm still an IS alternate at LSU, which starts in August, but I'm not holding my breath on that...

I feel like Starkville is actually very similar in size to a town I grew up near. So not only is it familiar to me, but it's all new, too. I know we do spend lots of time in class but I think the feeling of familiarity may help my transition.

I found out my contract is technically up on Aug 8 :eek:. Hopefully that does not mean I will have to be there until then since my defense is on July 8. I really want a few weeks of freedom before vet school dammit!

Have to let my boss know that I'll be leaving in August this week. I really don't think she's going to take it well. The lab I work in has had alot of turnover the past few years with people spending enough time to get fully trained and then leaving (6months to a year usually).
I'm just hoping that she lets me stay on until August and doesn't throw a fit and let me go. Im hoping that letting her know a few months ahead of time will let her react favorably.

Have to let my boss know that I'll be leaving in August this week. I really don't think she's going to take it well. The lab I work in has had alot of turnover the past few years with people spending enough time to get fully trained and then leaving (6months to a year usually).
I'm just hoping that she lets me stay on until August and doesn't throw a fit and let me go. Im hoping that letting her know a few months ahead of time will let her react favorably.
Remember that you cannot control her reaction. You are doing the right thing by giving significant notice. Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
^Seconded. And hopefully she will recognize that you are leaving for a (very) legitimate reason, and appreciate that you are giving a great deal of advanced notice. Best of luck; hope it goes well and that she is understanding. :)

I think I've decided I'll only stay till the end of July instead of the first half of August. Work is being awesome and letting me have some time to figure it out. I was planning on moving all my stuff over and then coming home to work for two more weeks for some extra cash, but having two weeks to settle in before orientation starts is sounding nice.

Guys I literally signed up for Biology 101... as a Biology major....second semester of senior year... Just to get to 12 credits

Reactions: 6 users
Plus side: Haven't needed to study for one exam

Reactions: 4 users
Plus side: Haven't needed to study for one exam

I took animal physiology to get to full time! Everyone in my class are sophomore animal science majors, and I'm a 5th year senior zoology major. Lol. It's so funny how different animal science classes/professors are to biology/chemistry ones! I had food poisoning last week and I emailed my prof from animal science. He was like "No worries, I'll send you the notes, and I'll give you a 100 on the pop quiz I gave today. Please feel better!". My ecology professor pretty much said "unless you have a doctors note, it won't be excused. Sorry not sorry" :rofl:

Reactions: 1 users
Finished my 7th book of the semester! :D Looking for silver linings and the silver lining of being single is that I have a whole lot of extra time to read for funsies.

Reactions: 6 users
I took animal physiology to get to full time! Everyone in my class are sophomore animal science majors, and I'm a 5th year senior zoology major. Lol. It's so funny how different animal science classes/professors are to biology/chemistry ones! I had food poisoning last week and I emailed my prof from animal science. He was like "No worries, I'll send you the notes, and I'll give you a 100 on the pop quiz I gave today. Please feel better!". My ecology professor pretty much said "unless you have a doctors note, it won't be excused. Sorry not sorry" :rofl:

I'm in animal physiology now too. Our grading system is so weird... it's 40% "study questions" (they're prove you did the reading questions, but I just look up the answers and have been getting 100s)... 40% essays, which entail reading a piece of literature and answering questions that relate it to what we're learning in class, they're annoying, but not too difficult... and then the last 20% is exams... 4 of them... 5% each.... it just makes it so not worth it to study for them.... I mean it's a pretty easy A course? But the way she's grading it is just so foreign to me.

Finished my 7th book of the semester! :D Looking for silver linings and the silver lining of being single is that I have a whole lot of extra time to read for funsies.
What books have you read? I'm on my 8th of the year. Trying to get to 30!

What books have you read? I'm on my 8th of the year. Trying to get to 30!

Maze Runner 1-3: Thought they were okay... But not the best.
Red Rising 1-3: Absolutely love this trilogy; I was blowing up my Snapchat every time something happened. Probably my second/third favorite series of all time.
Codex of Alera 3 (currently on 4): Think this is awesome as well. Finished 3 yesterday and got started on 4 and already on page 130.

I don't have a goal. But I'm not going to slow down any time soon. lol. The next one will be The Martian.