This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WheatLom

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started this thread to discuss those who hold multiple seats before committing to one school. If you can post what schools you are holding a seat and reason. In addition if you are interviewing soon at a school you would drop your current acceptance to, please share.
PLEASE do not be specific enough to compromise identity. Be safe online everyone!! lol.

The goal is to help other see what seats are left at schools, also those who have seats can still hope for another school. However, it will help the former group than the later.

So who is holding multiple seats?! I mean this in the context of deposits and not multiple offers. If you would like to share those things though you can!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
So who is holding multiple seats?!
Me, as in I have not made a deposit yet. But not for long though, my deposit is due on Dec 30th. I will not put down more than 1 deposit for sure.
What else do you want people to share?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Me, as in I have not made a deposit yet. But not for long though, my deposit is due on Dec 30th.
What else do you want people to share?

I mostly wanted people to share what you posted. I'm more looking for people to share if they are putting 2 deposits down, or putting one down with the hopes of getting a different acceptance

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm still waiting to hear back from Columbia before making my final decision (had an interview a month ago), and I just paid and 'accepted' my seat at my state school. My aadsas status changed for my state school to 'accepted', so will Columbia be able to see this? They're still my top choice, and if I screwed my chances...

If you send a deposit to more than one school, the programs will know. I called them to find out. They wont know where, but they will know how many deposits you have submitted. I don't think it will look good to reserve more than one spot.

If you send a deposit to more than one school, the programs will know. I called them to find out. They wont know where, but they will know how many deposits you have submitted. I don't think it will look good to reserve more than one spot.

I don't think schools know until April. That's when they find out. Before then I don't think they know. I think they assume most won't double deposit.

I don't think it looks bad. The schools want you (they accepted you), but you have to still want them. It's a double edged sword, not just go where you are accepted.

***not trying to come off rude by my posts****

I just want to gather some info lol.

Reactions: 3 users
Schools won't know until April. But I still think it's not smart to donate $1000 in deposit money to a school that you end up not attending.

Schools won't know until April. But I still think it's not smart to donate $1000 in deposit money to a school that you end up not attending.

Some schools actually give it back. Unlike NYU:arghh:

I will keep following this post, in hope for some generous people will give up their seat for us on the big list. :D

Some schools actually give it back. Unlike NYU:arghh:
Yeah right. NYU must love to take that donation of $3000.
@Faux: By the way, I sent you a follow-up PM. Can you check your inbox please? Thank you very much for all your help! :)
P.S: I really appreciate your presence here on SDN so no rushing, just whenever you have some free time! :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah right. NYU must love to take that donation of $3000.
@Faux: By the way, I sent you a follow-up PM. Can you check your inbox please? Thank you very much for all your help! :)

He's in Dental School now so be patient with @Faux. He's a great resource though!

You're not likely going to get a lot of responses for this thread. It isn't because it's personal or that they don't like to contribute to SDN, but rather that even if there's no risk to identity, nobody wants to put themselves out there to get lashed upon as most students put down multiple deposits. Yes, it costs money, but so did this entire application process. Some people are in limbo with certain schools, as mentioned by @Tastemyrage, and reserve others as safety. Some simply cannot make up their mind and put a deposit down for 4-6 schools until April hits. It's their money and even though most of us wouldn't do that, there will always be those who will. Some cannot make up their mind within 30 days and require more time.

Just my observation, opinion, and two cents.

Reactions: 4 users
You're not likely going to get a lot of responses for this thread. It isn't because it's personal or that they don't like to contribute to SDN, but rather that even if there's no risk to identity, nobody wants to put themselves out there to get lashed upon as most students put down multiple deposits. Yes, it costs money, but so did this entire application process. Some people are in limbo with certain schools, as mentioned by @Tastemyrage, and reserve others as safety. Some simply cannot make up their mind and put a deposit down for 4-6 schools until April hits. It's their money and even though most of us wouldn't do that, there will always be those who will. Some cannot make up their mind within 30 days and require more time.

Just my observation, opinion, and two cents.

Makes A LOT of sense. I can see people getting some negative comments from saying they put multiple deposits.
Appreciate it!!

4-6 schooll?!? DAMN. I was thinking max one for safety and then maybe one more if they still can't decide. Or if they got an offer after they already put a deposit down.

Makes A LOT of sense. I can see people getting some negative comments from saying they put multiple deposits.
Appreciate it!!

4-6 schooll?!? DAMN. I was thinking max one for safety and then maybe one more if they still can't decide. Or if they got an offer after they already put a deposit down.

Maybe more in reality of 2-3. I think 4-6 would be excessive indeciveness.

You're not likely going to get a lot of responses for this thread. It isn't because it's personal or that they don't like to contribute to SDN, but rather that even if there's no risk to identity, nobody wants to put themselves out there to get lashed upon as most students put down multiple deposits.
Yeah, or people just don't feel like sharing.

Additionally, any replies in this thread, or the sticky thread about which schools people are declining acceptances at, shouldn't make you too emotional. SDN is a niche where in reality the entire applicant pool is way larger. Just because someone on here declined a school or held multiple seats, you can't assume your chances are affected much by it. Wait lists are big, and there are still tons of interviews left for some schools. I guess it's fun for some people to compare acceptances and all that though.

Yeah, or people just don't feel like sharing.

Additionally, any replies in this thread, or the sticky thread about which schools people are declining acceptances at, shouldn't make you too emotional. SDN is a niche where in reality the entire applicant pool is way larger. Just because someone on here declined a school or held multiple seats, you can't assume your chances are affected much by it. Wait lists are big, and there are still tons of interviews left for some schools. I guess it's fun for some people to compare acceptances and all that though.

My goal is just to provide some hope and info for people who are not accepted.

It's a small sample, but it in theory could be used to help gauge where things are at. (All my stats people hahah)

Ugh...do we have to debate this now? I have a lot of studying to do tonight.
200w.gif

Reactions: 5 users
Should we lay down some ground rules? Lol, naw don't debate. It could be insightful though ha

Ugh...do we have to debate this now? I have a lot of studying to do tonight.
You could say that you've earned the seat and that it's yours to hold.

You could also say that 30 days is ample time to decide on a school, and that you should allow other applicants a chance at that seat.

Kantian ethics might tell us that it's unethical. If everyone held multiple seats, the process would come to a stand still, and no other applicants would be given interviews. Even if everyone held just two seats, the process would be affected.

I had to bring it up with a username like The Flossopher...

Last edited by a moderator:
You could say that you've earned the seat and that it's yours to hold.

You could also say that 30 days is ample time to decide on a school, and that you should allow other applicants a chance at that seat.

Kantian ethics might tell us that it's unethical. If everyone held multiple seats, the process would come to a stand still, and no other applicants would be give interviews. Even if everyone held just two seats, the process would be affected.

I had to bring it up with a username like The Flossopher...
I see you rockin dat first formulation of the categorical imperative. ;)

Yes, one could make a neoliberal justification for the argument that an applicant earned the seat and paid for it. But because the matter of double-dipping acceptances is one of professional ethics rather than bioethics, it is most conventional to apply quasi-utilitarian and/or Kantian paradigms to this situation. This (in intellectual shorthand) is why I think your second two arguments are better than the first.

Anyway, I hope this post was pretentious enough to live up to my username...lol

Idk what the flying squirrels you guys are talking about and I don't care to know.

There are rules and guidelines that were designated by the ADEA that are meant to be followed through the whole admission process. I consider breaking those rules as a breach of trust and breaking professional conduct.

That said, holding multiple seats is a person's right and clearly something the ADEA/dental school chose to respect by designing a system that allows for that.

There's a concern that if everyone holds multiple seats, then there will be an issue of seats having no movement. As if all the rules out lay out by ADEA will be shattered to pieces if people chose to be jerks about it. Yeah...no...

http://www.adea.org/dental_education_pathways/aadsas/Pages/AdmissionsOfficers.aspx

Read the traffic guidelines at the bottom of the page. I think that should answer your question.

On the other hand, I think it's quite deceitful to tell people it's unethical to hold multiple seats. Maybe it's unethical in by some quasi sub human chimpanzee standard. But by ADEA's standard? No way

I see you rockin dat first formulation of the categorical imperative. ;)

Yes, one could make a neoliberal justification for the argument that an applicant earned the seat and paid for it. But because the matter of double-dipping acceptances is one of professional ethics rather than bioethics, it is most conventional to apply quasi-utilitarian and/or Kantian paradigms to this situation. This (in intellectual shorthand) is why I think your second two arguments are better than the first.

Anyway, I hope this post was pretentious enough to live up to my username...lol
The username checks out. Maybe philosophy should be a dental school pre-requisite?

Reactions: 2 users

How certain is April? Where did you get this info? I'd love to hold more than one spot, I'm just nervous if the schools find out. Is it something that AADSAS releases?

How certain is April? Where did you get this info? I'd love to hold more than one spot, I'm just nervous if the schools find out. Is it something that AADSAS releases?

It is 100% they will know in April. However, then they will call you and make you give a decision almost immediately or like 7-10 days

Idk what the flying squirrels you guys are talking about and I don't care to know.

There are rules and guidelines that were designated by the ADEA that are meant to be followed through the whole admission process. I consider breaking those rules as a breach of trust and breaking professional conduct.

That said, holding multiple seats is a person's right and clearly something the ADEA/dental school chose to respect by designing a system that allows for that.

There's a concern that if everyone holds multiple seats, then there will be an issue of seats having no movement. As if all the rules out lay out by ADEA will be shattered to pieces if people chose to be jerks about it. Yeah...no...

http://www.adea.org/dental_education_pathways/aadsas/Pages/AdmissionsOfficers.aspx

Read the traffic guidelines at the bottom of the page. I think that should answer your question.
Of course I already have read those guidelines. (And I didn't have a question to be answered...I'm the one doing the explaining, remember?) I have copied Guideline (F) for dental schools here:

Applicants holding positions at multiple institutions. Dental schools participating in AADSAS will report to AADSAS by April 1, the names and identification numbers of candidates who have paid a deposit and/or hold a position in their entering class. After April 5, AADSAS will report to each institution the names of candidates in their entering class who are holding acceptance(s) at additional institutions. Dental schools will have the option of rescinding an offer of admission to candidates who have paid deposits and are holding positions at multiple institutions. Dental schools with candidates holding multiple positions on April 1of the year of admission will give such candidates a minimum 15-day notice if they choose to withdraw them from the entering class. This policy will be evaluated every two years by the ADEA Section of Dental School Admissions Officers to assess its impact on applicants and dental schools and provide applicants a reasonable time- frame to complete their enrollment process.

ADEA does not make any reference to an applicant's "right" to hold multiple seats. In fact, the purpose of this document is to set rules for how dental schools can protect themselves by rescinding acceptance offers to such applicants. This is literally the opposite of dental schools "respecting" applicants' supposed right to do this.

On the other hand, I think it's quite deceitful to tell people it's unethical to hold multiple seats.
(1) Making a tuition deposit, completing enrollment forms, etc. at a school without the intention of enrolling (since one is not intending to attend multiple schools simultaneously) is a textbook case of deceit. (2) You are implicitly encouraging accepted applicants to put themselves in a position in which they could have all of their offers rescinded. (3) What evidence do you have that I secretly believe holding multiple seats is ethical and have an ulterior motive for going on SDN to tell people the opposite?

Maybe it's unethical in by some quasi sub human chimpanzee standard.
I don't know about your school, but my school wouldn't accept a chimpanzee in the first place. :laugh:

Of course I already have read those guidelines. (And I didn't have a question to be answered...I'm the one doing the explaining, remember?) I have copied Guideline (F) for dental schools here:

Applicants holding positions at multiple institutions. Dental schools participating in AADSAS will report to AADSAS by April 1, the names and identification numbers of candidates who have paid a deposit and/or hold a position in their entering class. After April 5, AADSAS will report to each institution the names of candidates in their entering class who are holding acceptance(s) at additional institutions. Dental schools will have the option of rescinding an offer of admission to candidates who have paid deposits and are holding positions at multiple institutions. Dental schools with candidates holding multiple positions on April 1of the year of admission will give such candidates a minimum 15-day notice if they choose to withdraw them from the entering class. This policy will be evaluated every two years by the ADEA Section of Dental School Admissions Officers to assess its impact on applicants and dental schools and provide applicants a reasonable time- frame to complete their enrollment process.

ADEA does not make any reference to an applicant's "right" to hold multiple seats. In fact, the purpose of this document is to set rules for how dental schools can protect themselves by rescinding acceptance offers to such applicants. This is literally the opposite of dental schools "respecting" applicants' supposed right to do this.

(1) Making a tuition deposit, completing enrollment forms, etc. at a school without the intention of enrolling (since one is not intending to attend multiple schools simultaneously) is a textbook case of deceit. (2) You are implicitly encouraging accepted applicants to put themselves in a position in which they could have all of their offers rescinded. (3) What evidence do you have that I secretly believe holding multiple seats is ethical and have an ulterior motive for going on SDN to tell people the opposite?

I don't know about your school, but my school wouldn't accept a chimpanzee in the first place.

That's great and all buddy, but how about you provide evidence that shows that ADEA and dental schools consider this unethical?

Making a tuition deposit is not the same as completing an enrollment form (what the hell is that? Certainly didn't come with the acceptance package). All my acceptance letter states that the deposit is for the purpose of holding a seat. I am going to enjoy seeing how you're going to spin this one too.

So I'm still waiting to hear back from Columbia before making my final decision (had an interview a month ago), and I just paid and 'accepted' my seat at my state school. My aadsas status changed for my state school to 'accepted', so will Columbia be able to see this? They're still my top choice, and if I screwed my chances...
They won't know until april

That's great and all buddy, but how about you provide evidence that shows that ADEA and dental schools consider this unethical?
I don't have to. Something is unethical because it is morally wrong, not because an authority says so. That's what your conscience is for. But a good hint is that dental schools want to to rescind your acceptance if they find out, and ADEA encourages them to do it.

No, I don't think they will be able to see that until they accept you through the AADSAS system, and it wouldn't be before April. They wouldn't care anyway. Don't worry, you did the right thing. You might want to send a letter of intent if it is truly your top choice, though. The situation to which I've been referring in this thread is when someone holds multiple seats at the same time. (Presumably you would surrender your seat at the state school once you get into Columbia, if you do.)

But a good hint is that dental schools want to to rescind your acceptance if they find out, and ADEA encourages them to do it.

Wow at this point you're just telling lies

ADEA enables dental schools to rescind acceptances pass a certain deadline if they hold multiple seats. The fact that a student holds multiple seats alone does not make a dental school want to rescind their applicant's offer. You know, the whole necessary but not sufficient deal? I hope you can tell the difference

There are multiple dental students here that said they have told admission director that they were holding multiple seats at the time. Not only were they not punished for it, they were in fact rewarded for it when they openly admit more financial assistance would sway their decision.

My agenda is to help students with the admission process. What's your agenda? To convince people you stand at a higher moral ground?

This is great entertainment. Please do continue.

I don't have to. Something is unethical because it is morally wrong, not because an authority says so. That's what your conscience is for. But a good hint is that dental schools want to to rescind your acceptance if they find out, and ADEA encourages them to do it.
This is anecdotal, but I've heard from multiple deans of admission at interviews that they prefer you to hold only one seat. That being said, anecdotal evidence isn't good enough to make an argument. I don't think that there's anything official that spells this out on school's websites.

So instead, I think that your point about authority is important. Just because the rules and ADEA authorities allow you to hold multiple deposits, doesn't mean you should. I think that if you put yourself in the place of another pre-dental student hoping to get just one acceptance, or the person on the waitlist at their least expensive school, you'd rather open a spot for them than hold it. It just seems professional.

There are multiple dental students here that said they have told admission director that they were holding multiple seats at the time. Not only were they not punished for it, they were in fact rewarded for it when they openly admit more financial assistance would sway their decision.
So they held multiple seats in hopes that they'd get a better financial package? That seems risky. What if they didn't get it, and wasted money on extra tuition deposits?

Wow at this point you're just telling lies

ADEA enables dental schools to rescind acceptances pass a certain deadline if they hold multiple seats. The fact that a student holds multiple seats alone does not make a dental school want to rescind their applicant's offer. You know, the whole necessary but not sufficient deal? I hope you can tell the difference

Yes, I'm sure the schools just LOVE it when you call them to say that they are your second choice to another school, and that they will have to pay you to have the privilege of your attendance. (I hope you hear the sarcasm.) Maybe that has worked for a handful of audacious people at specific schools, but that is a very bad idea for the average applicant. While this phenomenon is common for undergraduate applicants (like student-athletes), the tacit convention in the dental school application process is that scholarships are not negotiable. You risk insulting the dean of admissions, who at some schools could also be the dean in charge of recommending you to residency programs.

An illustrative comparison: a patient is perfectly free to walk into your dental office and attempt to haggle the cost of whitening trays by claiming that another dentist is better and/or cheaper than you. Would you let that patient attempt to devalue your reputation, or would you tell them to pay or GTFO? And what if you were already offering the trays at a discount? Wouldn't you be offended?

Here is one of my sources:
http://www.adea.org/GoDental/Dental...Next_steps_for_those_who_received_offers.aspx

6. Don’t play the scholarship negotiation game.
Negotiating for scholarships sometimes happens, but is frowned upon. Most make their best offer, so don’t try to play a game where you try to put two dental schools against each other when one is really your first choice. Make a truly rational and justifiable case for additional funding, but realize your efforts will likely be fruitless. The best thing to do is prepare to work very hard and be very productive in dental school, as sometimes modest scholarships are offered to dental students based on their performance in their programs.

And for good measure, this article happens to be another example of an admissions director telling applicants not to hold multiple seats:

3. Decide on one school as early as possible.
Deposit amounts may seem small compared to the big tuition bills you’ll be paying, but you are preventing someone else from getting into dental school if you hold on to multiple seats for too long. Starting in April, schools will know where you have placed deposits and many will consider rescinding your offer if you do not make your choice by then. Pay any additional deposits as well. Generally, deposits are applied to your first-semester tuition.

My agenda is to help students with the admission process. What's your agenda? To convince people you stand at a higher moral ground?
Do you think you are helping the waitlisted students who sit in limbo through the spring (and even summer) because other applicants were too stupid or irresponsible to research and compare the schools when (1) they created a list of schools, (2) they submitted the applications, (3) they visited to interview, and (4) they were given a month with their acceptance packages, finances and all, laid out in front of them?

Holding onto multiple seats at the most desirable schools creates a chain reaction in which other applicants must make theoretically unnecessary deposits at less desirable schools before they get accepted to their preferred schools. This means that some of the applicants who hold onto multiple seats are forcing their colleagues to pay more than they should have to in order to enroll in their preferred dental school. This also consistently screws over applicants to the same few schools year after year, which are forced to withhold rejections off the waitlist until they see who actually shows up in August. This is a well-known phenomenon among the admissions officers...and in fact is an even bigger problem in medical school admissions due to the ranking of med schools.

I'm also here to help applicants. And I do have the moral high ground...it is my agenda to convince others to join me! That's the whole point of making an ethical argument.

I guess I'm just confused as to how people don't know where they want to go? Did they just apply to a bunch of random schools without knowing what they like about them? Did they not make mental notes about what they liked during the interviews? Also, even if you do feel like you need some time to decide between a few schools, how is a month not enough time? If I sound salty and bitter, it's because I absolutely am. =]

Reactions: 6 users
My point isn't that admission directors LOVE it when students try to haggle them and it works. My point is even if you tell them straight to their face, they don't feel immediately insulted and want to rescind your admission offer on the basis of you being unethical. Trust me, if you're doing anything unethical admission directors will have NO problem kicking you out on the spot

Unlike you guys who think that applicants are simply just stupid, irresponsible, and reckless for holding multiple acceptances, admission directors understand that people have legitimate reasons for holding multiple seats. Just because you want to fault them for having personality flaws, that is not always the case.

Example of my classmates.
1. Classmate's fiance doesn't know if she can find a new job near school; classmates can't make a decision until fiance figures out her situation
2. Students waiting on military scholarships.

And these are just people that have told me their stories. I am sure more reasons exist out there

Feel free to continue to discredit your peers.

Last edited:
My point isn't that admission directors LOVE it when students try to haggle them and it works. My point is even if you tell them straight to their face, they don't feel immediately insulted and want to rescind your admission offer on the basis of you being unethical. Trust me, if you're doing anything unethical admission directors will have NO problem kicking you out on the spot

Unlike you guys who think that applicants are simply just stupid, irresponsible, and reckless for holding multiple acceptances, admission directors understand that people have legitimate reasons for holding multiple seats. Just because you want to fault them for having personality flaws, that is not always the case.

1. Classmate's fiance doesn't know if she can find a new job near school; classmates can't make a decision until fiance figures out her situation

And these are just people that have told me their stories. I am sure more reasons exist out there

Feel free to continue to discredit your peers. That's none of my problem
I admit that those are good reasons. I just hate seeing the amount of people on here asking questions like "Hey guys, I got accepted into X school, I don't know much about their program, can you guys tell me about it?" I think that's pretty insulting to the school, the adcoms who put time into reviewing their application and deciding they were worthy, and to applicants who consider X school their dream school but got denied.

Feel free to continue to discredit your peers.
I think that situations like those are okay when you want to place multiple deposits. But, there's no way to figure out how many people hold multiple deposits for reasons like that, versus people who are holding multiple deposits because they just can't decide.

I would say that if you hold multiple deposits because you can't decide, it's unethical. I'd consider holding multiple deposits for deep-seated reasons like those above as ethical though.

2. Students waiting on military scholarships
Hmm...I hadn't considered those situations. I wish you mentioned them earlier! Yes, I think those are justifiable because this should only be a small number of applicants and the potential gain for them far outweighs the costs to the other individuals they are inconveniencing. (This is assuming that they had already put a reasonable effort into finding a new job quickly, applying to the HPSP on time, etc.) In those cases, though, I think it would be most professional to warn the schools ASAP that they are being forced to make multiple deposits and to explain the situation fully. That way, it won't appear deceptive, and the schools can prepare to accept another applicant without extra delay if necessary.

Bump. The first round expires in a few days.

Did everybody send in their deposit yet? I was gonna do it later today...

Yup- a week ago and declined MW AZ and BU for Creighton. Still waiting to hear from state school.

I was tempted to put down the $3K for BU (Creighton was $500) but it would have cost more to attend anyway and commuting to class at BU for an affordable apartment would have been a daily grind.

I think people can choose in 30 days if their choice is based on cost and "program fit" alone. All my friends pushed me to choose Boston but I went with my gut and wallet.

You can't beat "gut and wallet".

Nice username btw. ;)

I don't know why, but I really hate having to turn down schools. I know that in the end they don't care, but it's still weird to think about what could have been.

Reactions: 5 users
Do schools prefer we call or email them for our decision to turn them down?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile