Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does your contract specify how much notice you have to give? If not, then a month is fine. They’ll be mad until they replace you, but sometimes you just have to take the opportunity that shows up.
Nothing in my contract and employee handbook only stipulates "reasonable notice" which it defines as two weeks. Double checked yesterday after re-evaluating my current contract for comparison.

Since I've started maternity leave, 2 doctors and 6 support staff have left. So I think part of my concern is that a lot of people are jumping ship. But can't take care of other people either.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
a social worker for clients.
I had a client social worker at my Intern hospital and I originally thought it was dumb and not something I would ever need but holy cow. Veterinary social workers are godsends and I love them tremendously and (at least then) diffused so many emotions. Angry clients? Social work. Emotional wrecks to the point of incoherency? By the time social work was done talking with them, they were stable and able to actually tell me what I needed

VSW is definitely a huuuuuge perk.

Plus the social work team at my hospital also did group pet grief counseling and a lot of my ER/ ICU clients went there and I heard it was well received

Reactions: 5 users
I had a client social worker at my Intern hospital and I originally thought it was dumb and not something I would ever need but holy cow. Veterinary social workers are godsends and I love them tremendously and (at least then) diffused so many emotions. Angry clients? Social work. Emotional wrecks to the point of incoherency? By the time social work was done talking with them, they were stable and able to actually tell me what I needed

VSW is definitely a huuuuuge perk.

Plus the social work team at my hospital also did group pet grief counseling and a lot of my ER/ ICU clients went there and I heard it was well received
We had one at our VTH for clients to use (and staff/students) if needed and she was lovely.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure most vets could easily get a job in a week or two in this current climate, so don't really feel like it's a huge tell that you're looking sooner. You can easily "blame" your baby and changing priorities.

Honestly my only hesitation would be to make sure there's specific contingencies for a start date/pay with the new hospital... would suck to put your notice in and quit and then WHOOPS actually we failed inspection and it will be December until we can open/pay you you're SoL.

Do check your contract for notice timeframe. Many of them are 2-3 months and in general I feel as a professional a month+ is more kind to your employer, but at the end of the day you gotta do you.

Reactions: 3 users
Honestly my only hesitation would be to make sure there's specific contingencies for a start date/pay with the new hospital... would suck to put your notice in and quit and then WHOOPS actually we failed inspection and it will be December until we can open/pay you you're SoL
I didn't think about this at all; thanks for bringing it up! I don't want to have to use savings to keep us going due to a screw up on their part.

@battie I came back from maternity leave and gave notice like two months later. Yeah, I felt bad but it was absolutely the best thing for my career and my work-life balance. And I am 100000% glad that I did!

If people are leaving your current place, there is a reason, and literally none of that is on you. I was in the same position at my first job where people were jumping ship and I was going to be the third doctor to leave. My boss was an immature ass and didn’t handle it well but I did my time and was happier for it.

As a fellow mom of little kids, your time is your most precious commodity, both to spend with your family and to carve out some little bit for yourself and your well-being. Don’t be shy about protecting your lifestyle.

Reactions: 2 users
I give notice tomorrow and am hella anxious. Been on edge all day today. Baby Bats has been struggling to fall asleep for naps with me and I feel like he's just feeding off my anxiety and feustration. Can't wait to get this off my chest at work.

I already have my October schedule for my new job and it's wonderful to look forward to. It's hourly pay rather than salary, so I'll actually be paid for the records I write at home. It's in writing that they'll get me surgical training and I'm going to be transferred to the new hospital when I have enough surgical training or there is a high enough case load where I can do surgery at the new hospital. With how busy things are here, I'm hoping that the move will be sooner rather than later.

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
I'm so much happier here than in my internship. Yes, I work more, but I'm not getting insulted by higher up's. I actually feel safe and welcome here, which is wild to think about. I'm so glad I didn't let the perception of residency from my internship hospital keep me from being here now.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
Can y’all believe we’re tip-toeing up to two years since graduation? Admittedly I haven’t been on SDN in awhile. Between internship, job, life…it’s been a blur. But after my own personal internship hell I settled into a good balance working a job I’m happy with on ER overnights. Got a puppy this year (who then got parvo fully vaccinated🤦🏼‍♀️) and bought a house. I guess I’m an adult now but sometimes it’s still hard to believe vet school is over and that part of my life is in the past.

I hope you are all are doing well. Might have to come back for a WW game sometime.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
Can y’all believe we’re tip-toeing up to two years since graduation? Admittedly I haven’t been on SDN in awhile. Between internship, job, life…it’s been a blur. But after my own personal internship hell I settled into a good balance working a job I’m happy with on ER overnights. Got a puppy this year (who then got parvo fully vaccinated🤦🏼‍♀️) and bought a house. I guess I’m an adult now but sometimes it’s still hard to believe vet school is over and that part of my life is in the past.

I hope you are all are doing well. Might have to come back for a WW game sometime.
Oh man I can't believe it's already been a year and a half. I still don't know anything lol. Did you stay in the same state you did your internship in or no?

Reactions: 1 user
Oh man I can't believe it's already been a year and a half. I still don't know anything lol. Did you stay in the same state you did your internship in or no?
Nope. Moved back to the east coast. New state entirely lol

Members don't see this ad :)
It is really hard to believe it's been a year and a half already. I still really enjoy my job. I did my 21st c-section this morning. I see a lot of babies and they warm my soul. I said goodbye to one of the techs who has been really supportive in my development as a new doctor as she moves on to an exciting new job and I miss her dearly. Next adult goals are getting married (when the government decides to let me) and buying a house.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Had an abdominal explore today and the dog had been given barium. My previous explores did not get barium and I wasn't entirely thrilled about all the barium in there.

My patient decided to help by vomiting up the majority of the barium while we were prepping the surgery suite.

Surgery went well. I don't think she learned her lesson though. Would 100% eat the thing again if allowed to.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Had an abdominal explore today and the dog had been given barium. My previous explores did not get barium and I wasn't entirely thrilled about all the barium in there.

My patient decided to help by vomiting up the majority of the barium while we were prepping the surgery suite.

Surgery went well. I don't think she learned her lesson though. Would 100% eat the thing again if allowed to.
My most recent ex lap ended up not needing surgery. The 20+ fish hooks made their way to the colon by the time she got transferred to me and open on the table. It was an adventure where she started at the sister hospital at 2am and I opened her up at 7:30am. 🤦🏼‍♀️

• Wow
My most recent ex lap ended up not needing surgery. The 20+ fish hooks made their way to the colon by the time she got transferred to me and open on the table. It was an adventure where she started at the sister hospital at 2am and I opened her up at 7:30am. 🤦🏼‍♀️
what the actual **** with that many fish hooks, jeebus

what the actual **** with that many fish hooks, jeebus
Let me tell you. The only reason I was cutting her was because there were so many. They were clumped together in two balls, except for one just floating along by itself. But apparently bulk feeding would have been fine 🙄

• Care
Reactions: 1 user

6ReqkhW.gif

• Haha
  • Wow
We are very quickly approaching 2 years since graduation so... who's still here and how y'all doing?
Me. Doing well in the new job. Coming up on 6 mm months since starting in this hospital group and can say that so far so good. I was already questioning my life choices 4 months into my old job, so I think this is good signs. Baby and Mr. Bats doing well. Getting ready to remodel our kitchen and that's going to be a doozy between labor and material costs. Nothing else major going on.

We are very quickly approaching 2 years since graduation so... who's still here and how y'all doing?
I would like to know how I’m more tired now than in vet school??*

* the answer is residency but still I didn’t think it would possible to be more tired than vet school

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
It's been a while since I've been yelled at by an owner, but I got to go into full momma bear mode overnight as a client yelled at an assistant, technician, AND intern. I politely but firmly told them to get the **** out of my hospital and stop yelling at my staff.

Starting the second year of residency with a bang.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I have such a love-hare relationship with surgery. Was it super satisfying pulling the corn cob out of the Frenchie's stomach? Yes. Do I still hate anesthesia and drugs? Yes. But at least I paid for myself, my techs, and my assistant tonight.

I had my first case of actual rabies come back positive today. I’d feel a lot better about the diagnosis if there weren’t 8 family members who all were scratched +/- bitten up to a week before the kitten was euthanized. It’s a sad sad case, and now I’m extra concerned i somehow got exposed (I didn’t).

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Reviving this back from page 3 where it doesn't belong.

Going strong almost 3 years beyond graduation. I keep getting Snapchat reminders for starting clinics or finishing certain rotations. Feels like a million years ago.