Class of 2023... how you doin?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What even are electives for second years? :lame:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
1. Apparently thread photos are a thing I guess?????
2. Why is THIS the thread photo for this thread :rofl:

121996F7-70AD-416A-A2A7-FCEAF2CF8350.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
2. Why is THIS the thread photo for this thread
Honestly I've seen that every time I've come on this thread but I didn't know if anyone else could see it, and I was too scared to ask about it in case only I could see it and then everyone would think I was the weird pasta girl :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Honestly I've seen that every time I've come on this thread but I didn't know if anyone else could see it, and I was too scared to ask about it in case only I could see it and then everyone would think I was the weird pasta girl :rofl:
JEEZ CBUCKS ITS YOUR FAULT YOU WEIRD PASTA GIRL

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Same though

2. Why is THIS the thread photo for this thread :rofl:

View attachment 304740
I have a strange feeling that @Stroganoff is behind this
the story behind it is that Strog randomly posted once about wondering if anyone else could see the photo in one of the lounge threads
So I changed this one and tagged him and made some comment about how it was spreading or something

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
the story behind it is that Strog randomly posted once about wondering if anyone else could see the photo in one of the lounge threads
So I changed this one and tagged him and made some comment about how it was spreading or something
Wow I’m good at this
85EFE9CF-8254-4A1B-A3A1-C36237E95BE1.jpeg

• Haha
I've been obsessed with these dumb stonks memes ever since I stumbled across a shef one

View attachment 304760
Like not gonna lie, still think about it in the middle of the day and giggle sometimes
I think it’s genuinely one of the funniest memes in recent memory. They’re stupid enough to appeal to everyone, and it’s a great way to add some playful sarcasm. 4.5/5 stars.

Members don't see this ad :)
What even are electives for second years? :lame:

Do you guys have pre-clinical electives at all anymore in the new curriculum? Like in third year? We had two electives in our pre-clinical portion, in semester 4 and 5. Not that the electives were all that great. They were fine, but I wouldn't have missed them.

I didnt realize some vet schools didnt have electives.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you guys have pre-clinical electives at all anymore in the new curriculum? Like in third year? We had two electives in our pre-clinical portion, in semester 4 and 5. Not that the electives were all that great. They were fine, but I wouldn't have missed them.

From what I've seen of it, it doesn't seem like we will have those electives anymore.

We have lots of electives, and are required to take at least 5 (I think) elective credits pre-clinical. I think it makes sense for schools that track to have fewer (we don't track) since you get more focused stuff like that when you transition to tracking. Different electives are available for different years/semesters. Used to be most of the last didactic semester was elective time but since that semester is the first part of clinics now they've shifted it a bit so people can start taking electives first year - we didn't have the option until 2nd year. I enjoyed my electives but a lot of them have moved to lunchtime scheduling now which is no bueno for many reasons in my opinion.

We have lots of electives, and are required to take at least 5 (I think) elective credits pre-clinical. I think it makes sense for schools that track to have fewer (we don't track) since you get more focused stuff like that when you transition to tracking. Different electives are available for different years/semesters. Used to be most of the last didactic semester was elective time but since that semester is the first part of clinics now they've shifted it a bit so people can start taking electives first year - we didn't have the option until 2nd year. I enjoyed my electives but a lot of them have moved to lunchtime scheduling now which is no bueno for many reasons in my opinion.

we have to have 19 elective credits before clinics...I figured everyone had a ton of electives.

we don’t track either

We need 8 elective credits before entering clinics. I easily had 20+ since we could take multiple per quarter and all are pass fail.

CSU has a ton of electives! Vetmedhead already listed most of them but they're pretty cool. I registered to take swine medicine and intro to Spanish for veterinarians for next fall.

Reactions: 3 users
How's everyone doing?

We just got word that the c/o 2023 at CSU will be in person on campus for the labs for 3 of our classes and everything else will be delivered remotely. We will also go to 100% online again after Fall/Thanksgiving break. I'm really upset about it, especially as a non-sponsored student. I feel like I'm not getting the full value out of my expensive education and that the students are being screwed over because of the pandemic.

Reactions: 1 users
How's everyone doing?

We just got word that the c/o 2023 at CSU will be in person on campus for the labs for 3 of our classes and everything else will be delivered remotely. We will also go to 100% online again after Fall/Thanksgiving break. I'm really upset about it, especially as a non-sponsored student. I feel like I'm not getting the full value out of my expensive education and that the students are being screwed over because of the pandemic.
What do you feel you are missing out on that you would otherwise be getting if things were in person? Are there more labs/hands on experiences you're supposed to be having that aren't going to be delivered?

(I'm involved with curricular discussions at my school so these kinds of things interest me)

I think personally the things I would miss the most if I were still in school right now would be the experiences I made for myself, not necessarily things delivered in the curriculum, but the extra time I spent in the clinic, club wetlabs and things, stuff like that.

What do you feel you are missing out on that you would otherwise be getting if things were in person? Are there more labs/hands on experiences you're supposed to be having that aren't going to be delivered?

(I'm involved with curricular discussions at my school so these kinds of things interest me)

I think personally the things I would miss the most if I were still in school right now would be the experiences I made for myself, not necessarily things delivered in the curriculum, but the extra time I spent in the clinic, club wetlabs and things, stuff like that.
I get a lot out of in person communication and the social aspect of being physically with my classmates. I missed out on a LOT of labs and dissections after spring break this semester due to COVID and I don't think I learned any of the material as well. I'm not paying tens of thousands of dollars each year to learn how to be a good veterinarian remotely or via recorded classes. Half of my classes gave us ECHO360 recordings from last year instead of just recording new lectures for us. I think being online cheapens my education (in my opinion, because I don't learn well from staring at my computer watching videos all day).

I find a lot of value in physical interactions and communication. The wet labs and learning lectures I will be missing out on, as well as other extra curricular activities are also, in my opinion (you're free to disagree), are also making me feel like I'm going to miss out on a big chunk of my education. It may be experiences made for myself or things that I choose to do on my own, but they're not going to be offered, especially not in the same way, and therefore I personally won't be getting as much out of the experience.

I also signed up to take an elective Spanish for Veterinarians course that I don't think will be learned the same without the in person talking to each other.

Reactions: 5 users
It’s tough. I also don’t really feel like I learned anything this quarter. Which sucks because I did really well grade-wise, but I don’t feel like I deserved it. Without the ability to shadow and put my knowledge to use, I just feel like I threw a bunch of words into my brain but they don’t mean anything. And it sucks. The first three quarters were fantastic as far as feeling like a real vet student went. It’s nobody’s fault and there’s no good way to do this, of course. But I understand the feeling.

It’s tough. I also don’t really feel like I learned anything this quarter. Which sucks because I did really well grade-wise, but I don’t feel like I deserved it. Without the ability to shadow and put my knowledge to use, I just feel like I threw a bunch of words into my brain but they don’t mean anything. And it sucks. The first three quarters were fantastic as far as feeling like a real vet student went. It’s nobody’s fault and there’s no good way to do this, of course. But I understand the feeling.
This. Exactly this. I don't think I ACTUALLY learned anything.

It’s definitely understandable to be upset if lectures continue online through the fall, and labs too. I’m also someone who learns better in a classroom and with hands on labs. But schools are doing it to keep people safe. The situation with covid-19 is unprecedented, and I think schools are trying to do the best they can to make sure people get a quality education while not taking risks.

Reactions: 10 users
It’s definitely understandable to be upset if lectures continue online through the fall, and labs too. I’m also someone who learns better in a classroom and with hands on labs. But schools are doing it to keep people safe. The situation with covid-19 is unprecedented, and I think schools are trying to do the best they can to make sure people get a quality education while not taking risks.
So looking forward to doing medicine classes online

So looking forward to doing medicine classes online
Ha well half of SA is by a certain clinician that refuses to actually teach the material he’ll be testing on, and just goes through random cases that don’t actually touch on the subjects on the exam. I just straight up stopped coming to his lectures when I realized it was just random things he found interesting that he wasn’t testing on and I still has several hundred pages of notes to learn on top of it lol

I think Ag will actually be better online if the same person is still teaching it :laugh: I ended up rewatching all of his lectures after his first exam when we all realized most of his questions came from tiny details he’d only say and not have in his notes. So at least you guys can pause the first go through. Though knowing him, he’ll just make his exams even harder because he knows less people will miss those things :laugh

On the bright side, at least this means you guys don’t have to sit in the dungeon all day? :p that room made me miss the cramped first year classroom.

I get a lot out of in person communication and the social aspect of being physically with my classmates. I missed out on a LOT of labs and dissections after spring break this semester due to COVID and I don't think I learned any of the material as well. I'm not paying tens of thousands of dollars each year to learn how to be a good veterinarian remotely or via recorded classes. Half of my classes gave us ECHO360 recordings from last year instead of just recording new lectures for us. I think being online cheapens my education (in my opinion, because I don't learn well from staring at my computer watching videos all day).

I find a lot of value in physical interactions and communication. The wet labs and learning lectures I will be missing out on, as well as other extra curricular activities are also, in my opinion (you're free to disagree), are also making me feel like I'm going to miss out on a big chunk of my education. It may be experiences made for myself or things that I choose to do on my own, but they're not going to be offered, especially not in the same way, and therefore I personally won't be getting as much out of the experience.

I also signed up to take an elective Spanish for Veterinarians course that I don't think will be learned the same without the in person talking to each other.
You’re also definitely free to ask your school about the possibility of deferring a year if you want everything to be in person.

I understand the feeling (and I'll touch on that a bit more in a minute). My point in asking was from the perspective of tuition. The club meetings and wetlabs that you're missing out on...those things aren't coming out of your tuition, though I do agree it is something that it sucks to miss. I know the idea of more online learning probably doesn't seem appealing, but I do think it is possible to facilitate some of these experiences remotely. I'm sure there are speakers who would still love to give lectures or video demonstrations if club leadership reached out.

For the most part** the things that you are paying for are still happening. So while it is a sucky situation and from a personal valuing standpoint you feel you are getting less, the school is still having to pay for much of the same things, if not more (idk about everyone else but here they paid for monitored at home exams through examsoft and it was ridiculously expensive to the point where we are having to brainstorm different testing modalities). Professors are still teaching even if it is remotely. Admins are in meeting upon meeting upon meeting. And so on and so forth.

However, I think even if we were able to map out exactly where each of your tuition dollars are going, it wouldn't 100% change the way you are feeling. And that is ok. You are allowed to feel that way. The situation sucks, and no matter how hard the schools are trying to make the best of it, it is going to suck, probably for a little while at least.

Nothing is quite the same as being together in person, we all recognize that. So we have to make the most of the situation. Try to have those interactions that you would have in person through whatever online modality your school is using. If you would have gone to professor office hours, ask if they can meet with you remotely. If you would have studied with a group, try doing that over Zoom. For that Spanish class, see if there is a plan to have conversational portions of the class incorporated.

My words of encouragement from the perspective of your education itself would be this: the schools are going to find ways to make sure you learn the things you need to learn to be a competent veterinarian. The end of last semester is not the best gauge to use because there was a lot of chaos and no time for planning. I think moving forward we will see things improve. And I think from the student perspective you'll start to adjust too. There are a lot of resources out there for making the most out of online learning, and I think if you are able, now would be a good time to look into some of those and see if they help you feel like you are learning effectively. I'll link some of them at the bottom here.

**The caveat I could see to this is access to the hospital. We do talk a lot here about how it is crazy that schools without a teaching hospital still charge tuition at the same level as those that have one. In this situation you are essentially feeling that disconnect. And I don't disagree that the lack of access is something that it would be nice to be able to get some financial return for. The problem is...the teaching hospitals still exist. The staff still exists. So the schools are in a bit of a bind there in regards to decreasing caseload but still needing to keep the hospital afloat, and not wanting to lay off a bunch of people because they can't pay them right now. And don't think the schools haven't thought about or had these conversations either, because I can guarantee they have, especially with regards to clinical students who are doing a big chunk of clinics online. It is just a matter of...where is the money going to come from? We talk a lot about tuition being ridiculously high, but it is not that high for no reason (you can directly link the spikes at public schools at least to state funding cuts a while back).

Tl;Dr Yes, it sucks. Some parts of your education may be objectively "less" than they would have been otherwise right now, but not all parts have to be. It is ok to feel how you feel. The tuition issue has the schools between a rock and a hard place. Things will get better as the schools and as you as a student adjust. And here are some resources that might help:

edX Course on Online Learning - this actually starts today!
Building Motivation for Online Learning

Some tips from SAVMA:
Tips for focusing while working at home:
• Plan out as much as you can in advance. How many hours are you going to spend? How long will your intervals be? How long will your breaks be?
• Take breaks! Set a timer so you know when to start your break, and set a timer for how long the break is supposed to be so you come back on time and don’t get distracted.
• Write down questions as you go and ask your classmates or instructors when you’re done if possible so you don’t spend too much time trying to figure one thing out.
• Have a designated study space and environment. Depending on your preference, this might be your kitchen table or a desk, tv or music on for background noise, or totally silent. Find what works and stick to it!
• Do group study as best as you can--find a way to video chat with your usual study buddies, share study materials, ask your classmates questions, and just stay in touch! You aren’t in this alone and working together can help ease the transition.

Do your best to stick to a schedule. You may find you learn better if you can get yourself into a routine.

Reactions: 11 users

I understand that general basis behind it. Yes it is to protect people OVERALL but I, along with many other people I know, are fairly certain we have been exposed at one point or another. At what point is it too far to be expecting everyone to continue doing this miserable stay at home stuff? A lot could still happen between now and August.

You’re also definitely free to ask your school about the possibility of deferring a year if you want everything to be in person.

CSU has made it clear that deferring due to COVID is not allowed. So even if I wanted to defer, I wouldn't be able to.

I understand the feeling (and I'll touch on that a bit more in a minute). My point in asking was from the perspective of tuition. The club meetings and wetlabs that you're missing out on...those things aren't coming out of your tuition, though I do agree it is something that it sucks to miss. I know the idea of more online learning probably doesn't seem appealing, but I do think it is possible to facilitate some of these experiences remotely. I'm sure there are speakers who would still love to give lectures or video demonstrations if club leadership reached out.

For the most part** the things that you are paying for are still happening. So while it is a sucky situation and from a personal valuing standpoint you feel you are getting less, the school is still having to pay for much of the same things, if not more (idk about everyone else but here they paid for monitored at home exams through examsoft and it was ridiculously expensive to the point where we are having to brainstorm different testing modalities). Professors are still teaching even if it is remotely. Admins are in meeting upon meeting upon meeting. And so on and so forth.

However, I think even if we were able to map out exactly where each of your tuition dollars are going, it wouldn't 100% change the way you are feeling. And that is ok. You are allowed to feel that way. The situation sucks, and no matter how hard the schools are trying to make the best of it, it is going to suck, probably for a little while at least.

Nothing is quite the same as being together in person, we all recognize that. So we have to make the most of the situation. Try to have those interactions that you would have in person through whatever online modality your school is using. If you would have gone to professor office hours, ask if they can meet with you remotely. If you would have studied with a group, try doing that over Zoom. For that Spanish class, see if there is a plan to have conversational portions of the class incorporated.

My words of encouragement from the perspective of your education itself would be this: the schools are going to find ways to make sure you learn the things you need to learn to be a competent veterinarian. The end of last semester is not the best gauge to use because there was a lot of chaos and no time for planning. I think moving forward we will see things improve. And I think from the student perspective you'll start to adjust too. There are a lot of resources out there for making the most out of online learning, and I think if you are able, now would be a good time to look into some of those and see if they help you feel like you are learning effectively. I'll link some of them at the bottom here.

**The caveat I could see to this is access to the hospital. We do talk a lot here about how it is crazy that schools without a teaching hospital still charge tuition at the same level as those that have one. In this situation you are essentially feeling that disconnect. And I don't disagree that the lack of access is something that it would be nice to be able to get some financial return for. The problem is...the teaching hospitals still exist. The staff still exists. So the schools are in a bit of a bind there in regards to decreasing caseload but still needing to keep the hospital afloat, and not wanting to lay off a bunch of people because they can't pay them right now. And don't think the schools haven't thought about or had these conversations either, because I can guarantee they have, especially with regards to clinical students who are doing a big chunk of clinics online. It is just a matter of...where is the money going to come from? We talk a lot about tuition being ridiculously high, but it is not that high for no reason (you can directly link the spikes at public schools at least to state funding cuts a while back).

Tl;Dr Yes, it sucks. Some parts of your education may be objectively "less" than they would have been otherwise right now, but not all parts have to be. It is ok to feel how you feel. The tuition issue has the schools between a rock and a hard place. Things will get better as the schools and as you as a student adjust. And here are some resources that might help:

edX Course on Online Learning - this actually starts today!
Building Motivation for Online Learning

Some tips from SAVMA:
Tips for focusing while working at home:
• Plan out as much as you can in advance. How many hours are you going to spend? How long will your intervals be? How long will your breaks be?
• Take breaks! Set a timer so you know when to start your break, and set a timer for how long the break is supposed to be so you come back on time and don’t get distracted.
• Write down questions as you go and ask your classmates or instructors when you’re done if possible so you don’t spend too much time trying to figure one thing out.
• Have a designated study space and environment. Depending on your preference, this might be your kitchen table or a desk, tv or music on for background noise, or totally silent. Find what works and stick to it!
• Do group study as best as you can--find a way to video chat with your usual study buddies, share study materials, ask your classmates questions, and just stay in touch! You aren’t in this alone and working together can help ease the transition.

Do your best to stick to a schedule. You may find you learn better if you can get yourself into a routine.

My problem is that I do not learn well from staring at my computer. I really do feel that I'm not getting everything out of my education compared to had it been in person. My tuition/fees pay for facilities I won't be able to use. They pay for faculty and staff that are giving us old videos. Why am I paying full price to receive old recordings from previous years? I don't think that's okay. I don't think it's okay for professors to ghost us and then post 8 hours of lecture for one week, then expect us to learn it all for a closed book, cumulative final one week before the final is expected to be taken. I don't think it's okay for professors to not respect our time and go way over their scheduled amount of time for classes because it's online so they can just keep adding extra details and suddenly their lecture is thirty minutes longer than the allotted 50 minutes. I don't think it's okay to expect everyone to be okay with spending as much as we are spending for a doctoral education for it to be reduced to online learning. I shouldn't be expected to just be happy that we are online for classes.

My big issue isn't the clubs. Yes I am upset that I'm losing those experiences but I know that extracurriculars are just that, extra. But it's still part of the experience of being in person and it is something I'm still missing out on--even if my tuition doesn't pay for the clubs (my personal money for club dues, does).

There are also the student fees that I'm paying for that schools are refusing to refund or reallocate. Gyms are open in Colorado but I'm unsure if CSU is actually going to open the rec center for use or not. I don't see why it's the student's responsibility to pay more for things that we aren't receiving, the gym is just the big one that I'm most upset about. I'm lucky that CSU is even willing to reallocate the parking fees we paid for and didn't get to use.

I don't want to do Zoom or Teams meetings or stare at my computer for 18 hours a day anymore. It's not fun, it's not good for my mental health, and I just want life to go back to normal at this point. I'm sorry if anyone disagrees with me but I don't think I should be expected to be complacent with being told to stay at home and sacrifice everything for an entire year.

• Wow
I don't think it's okay for professors to not respect our time and go way over their scheduled amount of time for classes because it's online so they can just keep adding extra details and suddenly their lecture is thirty minutes longer than the allotted 50 minutes.
You need to get your class rep to talk to your course coordinator or professors. This should not be happening. We dealt with this too at the beginning and it was addressed.

Reactions: 3 users
I understand that general basis behind it. Yes it is to protect people OVERALL but I, along with many other people I know, are fairly certain we have been exposed at one point or another. At what point is it too far to be expecting everyone to continue doing this miserable stay at home stuff? A lot could still happen between now and August.
part of the problem is lawsuits
CSU has made it clear that deferring due to COVID is not allowed. So even if I wanted to defer, I wouldn't be able to.
that's very interesting for many reasons...

My tuition/fees pay for facilities I won't be able to use. They pay for faculty and staff that are giving us old videos. Why am I paying full price to receive old recordings from previous years? I don't think that's okay. I don't think it's okay for professors to ghost us and then post 8 hours of lecture for one week, then expect us to learn it all for a closed book, cumulative final one week before the final is expected to be taken. I don't think it's okay for professors to not respect our time and go way over their scheduled amount of time for classes because it's online so they can just keep adding extra details and suddenly their lecture is thirty minutes longer than the allotted 50 minutes. I don't think it's okay to expect everyone to be okay with spending as much as we are spending for a doctoral education for it to be reduced to online learning. I shouldn't be expected to just be happy that we are online for classes.

There are also the student fees that I'm paying for that schools are refusing to refund or reallocate. Gyms are open in Colorado but I'm unsure if CSU is actually going to open the rec center for use or not. I don't see why it's the student's responsibility to pay more for things that we aren't receiving, the gym is just the big one that I'm most upset about. I'm lucky that CSU is even willing to reallocate the parking fees we paid for and didn't get to use.

I don't want to do Zoom or Teams meetings or stare at my computer for 18 hours a day anymore. It's not fun, it's not good for my mental health, and I just want life to go back to normal at this point. I'm sorry if anyone disagrees with me but I don't think I should be expected to be complacent with being told to stay at home and sacrifice everything for an entire year.
Something you have to remember that will hopefully be different for you in the fall is when we moved online this last spring it was an overnight decision. People scrambled. I know here reuse of lectures happened and there were mixed opinions, but knowing lectures will pry be online in the fall for us they are basically requiring real time lectures. Did the CVM have feedback for the online learning? because I know that was something that admin here pushed after the semester was over so they can improve. I know it doesn't seem fair to have to pay the same amounts of money for things, but the university has loans on many of those buildings, they still have insurance and utility costs. Yeah it sucks we aren't using them, but that also doesn't mean they're not incurring any less cost. Unfortunately to some degree the tuition/fees situation is only going to get worse because of decreased tax revenue and I'm sure decreased tuition revenue for this next year.
I don't think anyone here in this situation is happy or expects anyone else to be happy or really even ok with it, but merely try to understand to the best of our ability and make the best out of it we can. I'm also not sure it'll be an entire year-things might change come spring. I understand the frustration 110% I felt the same way about staring at my computer, not being in person, not retaining. I know my group we plan to do school as a group this fall trading off houses to regain some sense of "school" not the same, but a suggestion

I shouldn't be expected to just be happy that we are online for classes
I never said you should be, in fact said the exact opposite. My post was meant as some perspective, encouragement, and suggestions for dealing with the situation as it is. Simply saying you can't learn this way is not going to help you. You can absolutely feel upset about it, you have every right. The question is, what will you then do about it? Let those emotions hinder you even more, or try to adapt as everyone must when the universe throws a curveball? You can also raise your concerns with the way material is being delivered with the people who have control over that - here that would go through the class rep to reach curriculum committee, but whatever avenue is available to you. Like I mentioned before, this is all new for them too, and the feedback can only help.

I understand wanting life to go back to normal. We all want that. Unfortunately, life going back to normal immediately is impossible. Life will not go back to normal if we force it, it will go to something much worse and all the sacrifices we've made to try to keep things even a little bit under control will have been for nothing.

Reactions: 12 users
I know it doesn't seem fair to have to pay the same amounts of money for things, but the university has loans on many of those buildings, they still have insurance and utility costs. Yeah it sucks we aren't using them, but that also doesn't mean they're not incurring any less cost.
Professors teaching those online classes and clinicians still have to be paid also because the teaching hospitals are still open but at reduced capacity, in general

Ski, I didn't realize you had another post as well but to respond to that one as well: We mentioned it at the beginning of the online coursework, it was fixed somewhat, but not completely. The professors still seemed to expect us to do more work outside of what we were already expected to do.

Something you have to remember that will hopefully be different for you in the fall is when we moved online this last spring it was an overnight decision. People scrambled. I know here reuse of lectures happened and there were mixed opinions, but knowing lectures will pry be online in the fall for us they are basically requiring real time lectures. Did the CVM have feedback for the online learning? because I know that was something that admin here pushed after the semester was over so they can improve. I know it doesn't seem fair to have to pay the same amounts of money for things, but the university has loans on many of those buildings, they still have insurance and utility costs. Yeah it sucks we aren't using them, but that also doesn't mean they're not incurring any less cost. Unfortunately to some degree the tuition/fees situation is only going to get worse because of decreased tax revenue and I'm sure decreased tuition revenue for this next year.
I don't think anyone here in this situation is happy or expects anyone else to be happy or really even ok with it, but merely try to understand to the best of our ability and make the best out of it we can. I'm also not sure it'll be an entire year-things might change come spring. I understand the frustration 110% I felt the same way about staring at my computer, not being in person, not retaining. I know my group we plan to do school as a group this fall trading off houses to regain some sense of "school" not the same, but a suggestion

I actually beg to differ regarding the statement that you don't think anyone is okay with the situation at had, because I know people that are perfectly complacent with the shutdowns being indefinite. It doesn't bother them, therefore they don't care that they keep going on. I'm going to do my best to get by, because I have to, but I'm not going to be happy about it. We did have an opportunity to give feedback to our Assistant Dean regarding what we wanted if we absolutely had to be online again. Most of us did express brand new lectures, respect of our time, and professors that don't just disappear on us. I know that it was scrambled at first but half of our professors made excellent accommodations while half of them didn't seem to care and seemingly expected more out of our time online vs when we were in person.

I never said you should be, in fact said the exact opposite. My post was meant as some perspective, encouragement, and suggestions for dealing with the situation as it is. Simply saying you can't learn this way is not going to help you. You can absolutely feel upset about it, you have every right. The question is, what will you then do about it? Let those emotions hinder you even more, or try to adapt as everyone must when the universe throws a curveball? You can also raise your concerns with the way material is being delivered with the people who have control over that - here that would go through the class rep to reach curriculum committee, but whatever avenue is available to you. Like I mentioned before, this is all new for them too, and the feedback can only help.

I understand wanting life to go back to normal. We all want that. Unfortunately, life going back to normal immediately is impossible. Life will not go back to normal if we force it, it will go to something much worse and all the sacrifices we've made to try to keep things even a little bit under control will have been for nothing.

I know that our professors and administration are doing their best but it also still feels like we are being unheard and that we aren't being given full transparency even when we ask for it. It also doesn't help that half of my classmates are chill with the idea of staying at home for another five months. I get the point of staying at home to help prevent the spread of the virus, but again, at what point is it excessive?

Professors teaching those online classes and clinicians still have to be paid also because the teaching hospitals are still open but at reduced capacity, in general
I am aware of this. I know that our tuition does go toward our professors and the such but that doesn't discount the fact that the up and coming veterinarians of the world who are already dealing with a giant bulk of debt, are being forced to take the grunt of everything. Quite frankly, we are all being **** on to the nth degree right now.

I know that our professors and administration are doing their best but it also still feels like we are being unheard and that we aren't being given full transparency even when we ask for it. It also doesn't help that half of my classmates are chill with the idea of staying at home for another five months. I get the point of staying at home to help prevent the spread of the virus, but again, at what point is it excessive?
You mean transparency about what will be happening in the fall? Part of that is probably because they don't know. As you said yourself, a lot can happen between now and August. A lot is happening already. I know at least some schools are waiting to see how phased reopening goes before making final decisions. And now they will likely be waiting to see how the protests affect things as well.

I doubt most of your classmates are happy with the idea of continuing with online classes. But the fact that they have, at some level, accepted that this is the sacrifice that needs to be made to keep people safe? That is not something to resent them for.

Let's keep in mind that there have been over 100,000 deaths in this country alone from this virus. And that there have been over 370,000 deaths worldwide. Even at the relatively slow pace things are reopening, some states are seeing significant spikes in cases. This is to be expected, but it doesn't mean that we should push things harder. That's how you end up with overwhelmed healthcare systems. Having students in online lectures when it is impossible to follow distancing guidelines in most classrooms is not excessive. It is what is recommended by the experts in the field. Vet school classrooms are petri dishes in good times. Even if the schools were able to test every single student before starting classes, unless they were able to do it every day and get those results immediately it would be a huge liability and very irresponsible to completely disregard social distancing guidelines for groups of 80-100+ people. It only would take one person to infect everyone in the class who hadn't been exposed before, and likely they would take it home to their families before they even realized. That is the risk you would like to take? Because you are "pretty sure" you've already been exposed?

Reactions: 6 users
To be clear I am in favor of doing in person labs where guidelines can be followed (small groups, people staying 6 feet apart, wearing masks, etc). I am in favor of students gradually being allowed back into clinics at a level where those things are possible as well. Those experiences cannot be wholly replicated online and, in my opinion, are essential for a veterinary education. I am not in favor of things going completely back to normal and everyone sitting in a classroom together when lectures are able to be provided online. The benefit just isn't worth the risk.

Quite frankly, we are all being **** on to the nth degree right now.

As a 4th year doing 4 months of clinics online, who had my schedule perfectly organized with once in a lifetime opportunities and around 5 weddings; who is bottom (literally 133/133) of my class because didactics are not where I shine; who was looking forward to clinics because in person, real life cases is where I was going to do really well; and was really excited for a *good year* of vet school because vet school has been a complete ****show for me every year, I do agree with the sentiment that current students are having a hell of a time.

But we are by no means taking the brunt of it. Not even within veterinary education. Many of our residents that finished this year have to take associate positions because no one can afford to hire a boarded equine surgeon or cardiologist right now. We have received emails from out associate dean at 2 am. Faculty and staff are still going to work, potentially being exposed again and again by clients and each other. theres some evidence that increased exposure is leading to increased viral load and overwhelming of immune systems of young healthy health care workers.

Online ****ing sucks; I get it. I start online primary care next week. How will that transfer in the future? Probably poorly.

But..... it's not about us as individuals. It's about the community. And its safer for the community as a whole to continue as we are now.

Reactions: 10 users
To slightly alter the trajectory of the conversation, even during regular in person lectures you'd likely be staring at screens all day. PowerPoint lectures were the norm and being displayed on a much larger screen at the front of the classroom plus taking notes on a tablet or laptop. If you can actually keep up with handwriting notes in vet school then kudos but none of my classmates or myself were able to. When I had to miss a lecture I would set up my TV to display the recording and then use my laptop to take notes and it felt very similar to sitting in class, but with the added benefit of my animals laying around me and not having to wear pants.

Test some things out, see what works for you. You have the right to feel bad about what is happening, but now is your chance to decide how you're going to deal with it.

Good luck

Sent from my phone using the mobile app because I bought it and I'm stubborn

I mean, I currently have no known exposures and I’d like to keep it that way. I already have preexisting respiratory issues.

Anyone apply for one of the FFAR epidemiology/zoonotic disease research grants for this summer?

random question but not sure where to ask it...
does anyone have any experience with palatability of hills w/d vs purina EN fiberbalance or reasons to recommend one over the other? also kibble size differences (for a 15 y/o diabetic chihuahua who decided she's over RC glycobalance)

***not asking for medical advice!!!! literally just need to make a decision between these 2 and i have a picky eater and ive been agonizing over this choice for so long bc everyone just says "whatever she'll eat" but i dont want to spend money on something she wont eat just to have to buy the other one and wait on shipping for that too***

My geriatric yorkie ate the hills like a mad woman. She actually gained weight on it!

does anyone have any experience with palatability of hills w/d vs purina EN fiberbalance or reasons to recommend one over the other? also kibble size differences (for a 15 y/o diabetic chihuahua who decided she's over RC glycobalance)

I know two labs who love the EN but they’re not exactly picky eaters so that’s probably not too helpful.

Chewy and Pet Smart carry the 6 lb bag for $30.99.

Thanks! I actually get a nice discount as a vet student, but that's good to know so i can let others know!

***not asking for medical advice!!!! literally just need to make a decision between these 2 and i have a picky eater and ive been agonizing over this choice for so long bc everyone just says "whatever she'll eat" but i dont want to spend money on something she wont eat just to have to buy the other one and wait on shipping for that too***

Yo fun fact: all 3 companies will refund your money if your dog decides they don’t like it. You should even be able to get your money back for the RC food if you haven’t finished it. They likely will have you just donate the food (especially if it was home shipment vs hills school pickup)

Reactions: 4 users