Class of 2023... how you doin?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
random question but not sure where to ask it...
does anyone have any experience with palatability of hills w/d vs purina EN fiberbalance or reasons to recommend one over the other? also kibble size differences (for a 15 y/o diabetic chihuahua who decided she's over RC glycobalance)

***not asking for medical advice!!!! literally just need to make a decision between these 2 and i have a picky eater and ive been agonizing over this choice for so long bc everyone just says "whatever she'll eat" but i dont want to spend money on something she wont eat just to have to buy the other one and wait on shipping for that too***

actually yes! I can’t speak to w/d but my semi-picky dog (At least when it comes to kibble) eats en Fiberbalance for GI issues...she’s been eating it over a year and hasn’t gotten bored yet. (It also completely fixed all her problems which was amazing but it sounds like your using if for glycemic control)

n=1 but it’s something

you should see if you have any classmates using either of these foods for you to sample...my school also has a food pantry For patients but they let students get get samples from if they need it. Idk if your school has anything like that.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
actually yes! I can’t speak to w/d but my semi-picky dog (At least when it comes to kibble) eats en Fiberbalance for GI issues...she’s been eating it over a year and hasn’t gotten bored yet. (It also completely fixed all her problems which was amazing but it sounds like your using if for glycemic control)

n=1 but it’s something

you should see if you have any classmates using either of these foods for you to sample...my school also has a food pantry For patients but they let students get get samples from if they need it. Idk if your school has anything like that.

Thanks! This is really helpful. A few of my classmates have echoed that and said that they would use EN for picky eaters in the clinic so I’m going with that.

Get both, return the one she doesn’t like as well for a full refund.

I was gonna do that, but I already used my $2 hills shipping this month for my pets at home and when I went to check out, shipping was as much as the food *facepalm*

I’m really hoping she likes the EN, and if she doesn’t, then I’ll order the w/d and eat the shipping, but I didn’t want to pay that much in shipping just to send it back haha

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yo fun fact: all 3 companies will refund your money if your dog decides they don’t like it. You should even be able to get your money back for the RC food if you haven’t finished it. They likely will have you just donate the food (especially if it was home shipment vs hills school pickup)

I actually got the RC food for free from the shelter and could continue to get it for free from them since she’s a foster but since she won’t eat it anymore and they gave me a thing of canned puppy food since that’s what they ended up feeding her so she would eat. I decided to just spend my own money on a different brand rx food and get her on a consistent, appropriate diet. I was gonna see if anyone needs the food since I have some extra

I’m really hoping she likes the EN, and if she doesn’t, then I’ll order the w/d and eat the shipping, but I didn’t want to pay that much in shipping just to send it back haha
If you have to order the w/d it wouldn’t hurt to contact your rep or Hills/vetsource directly and tell them you’re trying to find something your foster will eat and see if there was any possibility of a discount code for shipping

Omg that brat. She’s eating the glyco now
She was begging for treats so I was like “if you want a treat so bad, heres a piece of the glyco kibble that you refuse to touch” and she ate it. So I gave her ¼ cup and she ate all of it. And now she’s begging for more. Look at this face. Is this not the brattiest (cutest) face. What a queen.
IMG_7166.jpg

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Omg that brat. She’s eating the glyco now
She was begging for treats so I was like “if you want a treat so bad, heres a piece of the glyco kibble that you refuse to touch” and she ate it. So I gave her ¼ cup and she ate all of it. And now she’s begging for more. Look at this face. Is this not the brattiest (cutest) face. What a queen.
View attachment 309273
Sometimes my dog likes to hungerstrike and not eat any dog food for like 4 days and only wants other things and then will go back to the k/d after and be like OMG THIS IS FABULOUS

Reactions: 3 users
Sometimes my dog likes to hungerstrike and not eat any dog food for like 4 days and only wants other things and then will go back to the k/d after and be like OMG THIS IS FABULOUS

Ugh if she wasn’t diabetic and didn’t just get back from a month long hospital stay after DKA and a pyo, Id be less stressed about her pickiness. But her diet is so critical right now it’s driving me nuts haha

She’s literally such a lemon and I can’t wait to foster fail her (but for now I’m gonna keep milking the free meds and healthcare)

• Haha
Some days I feel really confident and like I actually understand medicine a little bit....and then other days I basically stab myself in the hand with a needle and wonder how I got this far:hilarious:

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Some days I feel really confident and like I actually understand medicine a little bit....and then other days I basically stab myself in the hand with a needle and wonder how I got this far:hilarious:

me...every single day on clinics lol

• Haha
I’m sorry you feel that way, but it helped to read that xD I’m doing some summer research and learning how to use the MRI and treat animals at the same time and I feel the same way haha

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)

Whenever I cant figure out how to do something incredibly simple, I whisper to myself, "I'm going to be a doctor. I can do this."

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Whenever I cant figure out how to do something incredibly simple, I whisper to myself, "I'm going to be a doctor. I can do this."
LMFAO usually does the trick. Or right said fred ;)

Omg this totally worked today! Thanks!!!

• Love

Me- “why won’t these fluids run!?”
Tech- “The line is clamped doc...”
:laugh:

Reactions: 12 users
Me- “why won’t these fluids run!?”
Tech- “The line is clamped doc...”
:laugh:
We are always getting different lines some roll close others clamp. I always choose wrong and am about to throw and kick things before my tech calmly chooses wisely. Haha

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

A couple weeks ago I managed to slice my finger open on an 18g needle and it made me question my life choices :rofl:

• Haha
A couple weeks ago I managed to slice my finger open on an 18g needle and it made me question my life choices :rofl:
I got stabbed in the arm a couple weeks ago with a 20G needle used multiple times for vaccinating piglets. So that was fun.

On the topic of fluids.... Did you all know that the roller thingy has a notch on the back for the sole purpose of holding the fluid line? I've never seen anyone use this before and always just draped the line around itself until I saw a Facebook life hack post about it. Game changing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200720-123911.jpg
    Screenshot_20200720-123911.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 109
  • Wow
On the topic of fluids.... Did you all know that the roller thingy has a notch on the back for the sole purpose of holding the fluid line? I've never seen anyone use this before and always just draped the line around itself until I saw a Facebook life hack post about it. Game changing.
I use that to hold the cap of the needle!

Reactions: 6 users
I had my last day of work yesterday and I'm still kinda sad about it:cryi: I just really loved my coworkers + the vets I worked with and I feel like I learned so much, I just want to work there forever and not go back to classes:hilarious:

Reactions: 4 users
I had my last day of work yesterday and I'm still kinda sad about it:cryi: I just really loved my coworkers + the vets I worked with and I feel like I learned so much, I just want to work there forever and not go back to classes:hilarious:
I feel ya. Despite the fact that I’m small animal through and through, I’m doing research at the swine unit at school and I love it. My project is taking a while to get up and running so I’ll still have another few weeks left and will be working a bit the first week of school, but I really don’t want to leave. I wish school could just be delayed a month or so.

I feel this :( I've been back in school for 2 weeks now and I miss working soooo much!!

I hope everyone's semester is off to a good start!

I was wondering if anyone knows of a brand that makes short-sleeve collared clinician's jackets/consultation coats in colors other than white? My class is looking into potentially doing a bulk order, but I'm worried that the brand they found isn't going to fit me well and I'm having trouble finding another option that meets the requirements.

I hope everyone's semester is off to a good start!

I was wondering if anyone knows of a brand that makes short-sleeve collared clinician's jackets/consultation coats in colors other than white? My class is looking into potentially doing a bulk order, but I'm worried that the brand they found isn't going to fit me well and I'm having trouble finding another option that meets the requirements.

The label in my navy blue smock says Fame. Pretty sure they make clinician coats, too.

I’m not plugging this particular company - just the first thing that popped up on google!

The label in my navy blue smock says Fame. Pretty sure they make clinician coats, too.

I’m not plugging this particular company - just the first thing that popped up on google!
Lol do you go to CSU too? I find the one advantage of our smocks is that they look bad on everyone so nobody is really left out haha

• Haha
Lol do you go to CSU too? I find the one advantage of our smocks is that they look bad on everyone so nobody is really left out haha
When I did an externship at CSU I was surprised at how ugly the jackets were, lol. I’m pretty sure I even sent a photo of some poor unsuspecting vet student to my friends making fun of the coats.

Yes! But at least they’re navy, which is a color that does not usually look offensive on anyone... Khaki or olive green would be a disaster on me, at least... :)

Awesome I'll have to check that out, thank you!!

When I did an externship at CSU I was surprised at how ugly the jackets were, lol. I’m pretty sure I even sent a photo of some poor unsuspecting vet student to my friends making fun of the coats.
I've stopped in the hallway to chat with people about how bad they look like 10+ times on clinics since June lol. They somehow make everyone look boxy, even people who are already kind of boxy so they theoretically should fit them well.

I also have significant beef with that fact that for some reason the company doesn't sew the inside part of the lapels to the inside of the jacket, so they evert at random and you just have these two stingray flaps of fabric on your chest no matter what. Why??? This would be so easy to do, or at least to cut the damn things off.

Our first year anatomy lab coats actually look terrible on everybody too. Simultaneously way too much shoulder space and not enough, depending on the person.

Second year just started yesterday. So far it seems fine, but combined with finishing up my research project over the next two weeks I don’t know how I’m going to make it. I have to drive an hour away to the large animal campus every morning, collect my samples for 1-2 hours, then drive home. That means I have to miss live class the whole time. I just feel like there aren’t enough hours in a day for me to do this project, do school, eat, sleep, study, make time for myself, etc.

My friend is in this with me so it’s nice to have someone who gets what’s going on, but I look around and everyone seems so much more up to speed with class. It’s like a big conversation was had about how to do second year and I was just not present for it.

• Care
I have 2 foster kitties that I picked up today, and one of them has already given me more attention and love than I've ever gotten from my actual cat that I've had for 12 years :laugh:

• Haha
  • Care
I have 2 foster kitties that I picked up today, and one of them has already given me more attention and love than I've ever gotten from my actual cat that I've had for 12 years :laugh:
I really want a foster kitten but the shelter has no need right now. I might be getting a feral foster kitten from a girl who privately rehabs feral kittens this week who is guaranteed to not be lovey

• Care
I really want a foster kitten but the shelter has no need right now. I might be getting a feral foster kitten from a girl who privately rehabs feral kittens this week who is guaranteed to not be lovey
I was in the process of filling out foster applications for different shelters when a 4th year posted in our Facebook group that the rescue she works with had a bunch of kittens they needed fosters for, so the timing was perfect! Even if the feral kitten isn't nice at least she'll have a great home and get all the love from you (even if it's from afar):love:

Hm we are not a very active class on SDN :laugh:

Our class is finishing the first week of diagnostic challenges today. My group was part of the morning presentations so we are already done. I have to say I'm a little bit dead inside as I had no idea how time consuming this week would be. Our group generally would meet up together between 8:30-9 in the morning prior to our first client meetings, take a break from like 12-1 for lunch, then meet again from 1-5, take one more hour long break, then continue to work until our SOAPs or projects were done. For me, that was until about 11 or 12 each night. And I stubbornly continued to go to work each morning from 6-8 all but 1 day because money, so part of my pain is self-inflicted.

Hm we are not a very active class on SDN :laugh:
That's funny, I thought the same thing when I was on here earlier today :rofl:

We just finished week 3/9 of our second class of the semester (one 7-week class and one 9-week class), and I think we're all just kinda dragging along at this point. Our semester is going to be completely over at Thanksgiving with finals the day before, and you can bet I've started a countdown! Don't get me wrong, I'm beyond grateful to be here and completely love what I do, but the combination of online classes and being completely alone 95% of the time is starting to get to me

• Wow
That's funny, I thought the same thing when I was on here earlier today :rofl:

We just finished week 3/9 of our second class of the semester (one 7-week class and one 9-week class), and I think we're all just kinda dragging along at this point. Our semester is going to be completely over at Thanksgiving with finals the day before, and you can bet I've started a countdown! Don't get me wrong, I'm beyond grateful to be here and completely love what I do, but the combination of online classes and being completely alone 95% of the time is starting to get to me
Wow, that's a really early finish! The end is nearly in sight.

Hai! It’s been a while :) I’ve officially foster failed the bean. She’s rockin the freestyle libre and going in to sx on Tuesday to remove some mammary masses. Fingers crossed they’re benign

Look at her face tho she’s such a spoiled brat

IMG_8731.jpg

IMG_8714.jpg

IMG_8604.jpg

IMG_8601.jpg

IMG_8759.jpg

62251459616__7B1B03EC-CD5A-473B-9025-70F65028594E.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Wow, that's a really early finish! The end is nearly in sight.
The main university is going strictly online after Thanksgiving break, they thought about doing that with us or even just continuing on like we have been, but decided we would just end early and have an extended winter break. We started back 2 weeks early to make up for it, and my class started a week before that to make up labs from the spring, so it all evens out!

I'm actually enjoying 2nd year more than 1st year even though we are mostly online. I find the material is more interesting to me and relevant. Also, there's no anatomy which was the bane of my existence last year

We have a ton of exams up until Thanksgiving break though so I might not feel this way in a few weeks lol.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm actually enjoying 2nd year more than 1st year even though we are mostly online. I find the material is more interesting to me and relevant. Also, there's no anatomy which was the bane of my existence last year

We have a ton of exams up until Thanksgiving break though so I might not feel this way in a few weeks lol.

Big agree!! I also like that the move online has pushed the professors to update slideshows or even redesign courses to be more discussion based and contexualized.

I am really sad to be missing out on hospital shifts and hands on experiences in general. We’re still having in person labs but very very limited and no clinical experiences this semester. Next semester is still TBD.

Big agree!! I also like that the move online has pushed the professors to update slideshows or even redesign courses to be more discussion based and contexualized.

I am really sad to be missing out on hospital shifts and hands on experiences in general. We’re still having in person labs but very very limited and no clinical experiences this semester. Next semester is still TBD.
Also agree that second year is great!! That sounds a lot like where we're at, all of our lectures are online and we have some labs in person. The 4th years are able to do their clinical rotations, but all of our usual shadowing opportunities and wet labs have been canceled for the foreseeable future. We're supposed to have our first set of rotations this summer and have a meeting next month to go over logistics.

I feel like I've hit the Zoom fatigue stage. Our first block of classes was pretty interactive (even though they were virtual), but these current classes are pretty much all day Zoom lectures and then trying to organize and memorize long lists of bacteria and parasites. It feels pretty isolating, and combining that with work schedules and quarantine restrictions that mean I can't go home to visit family until after Christmas have me feeling kind of bummed out and just crossing my fingers that nothing will happen to prevent us being able to travel for winter break.

• Care