Class of 2024... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sometimes I feel like it’s just us who are having a rough time (when obviously that is never the case)
You're definitely not alone. A decent subset of my class is feeling this too.

If you do just fine or better simply reading the material on your own and you dodon'have mandatory attendance, then I fully support not going to class. I stopped going to class or paying attention during my repeat year of first year. My grades got better. So do you, boo

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users

If you do just fine or better simply reading the material on your own and you dodon'have mandatory attendance, then I fully support not going to class. I stopped going to class or paying attention during my repeat year of first year. My grades got better. So do you, boo
Second this!

Reactions: 3 users

When I was having really bad depressive episodes I spent like a third to a half of second and third year laying in bed watching five lectures at once days later on 2x speed in the dark. THAT person is gonna be a doctor in 17 days. I fully support not going to class if it's not what is best for you at that moment

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When I was having really bad depressive episodes I spent like a third to a half of second and third year laying in bed watching five lectures at once days later on 2x speed in the dark. THAT person is gonna be a doctor in 17 days. I fully support not going to class if it's not what is best for you at that moment
Thank you so much for saying this. I have been going through cycles of this study pattern for several months of every school year since high school, and I’ve been really disappointed in myself for going back to it now in my first year of vet school. My class usually has 90-95% attendance of our live zoom sessions, so I’ve felt like there must be something wrong with me to hate attending and instead watch an entire week or two of lectures at once later. It’s so hard to get out of bed I keep my laptop within arms reach so I can start studying without having to get up, but I feel guilty like I should be more eager to get up and study. It’s honestly so reassuring to hear that someone else has studied similarly and made it to the other side. I’ve been worrying that I must not want this badly enough because I just can’t bring myself to study the “normal” way my classmates do it. But I’ve worked in clinics and know that I would love the job if I can just survive the schooling. Congrats on making it through! Maybe there is hope for me too :)

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Thank you so much for saying this. I have been going through cycles of this study pattern for several months of every school year since high school, and I’ve been really disappointed in myself for going back to it now in my first year of vet school. My class usually has 90-95% attendance of our live zoom sessions, so I’ve felt like there must be something wrong with me to hate attending and instead watch an entire week or two of lectures at once later. It’s so hard to get out of bed I keep my laptop within arms reach so I can start studying without having to get up, but I feel guilty like I should be more eager to get up and study. It’s honestly so reassuring to hear that someone else has studied similarly and made it to the other side. I’ve been worrying that I must not want this badly enough because I just can’t bring myself to study the “normal” way my classmates do it. But I’ve worked in clinics and know that I would love the job if I can just survive the schooling. Congrats on making it through! Maybe there is hope for me too :)
Oh man, I wish there was a way for me to make this post pop up again for you in third year. Attendance in your class across the board will probably be way worse, I know virtually everyone always went to class my first year and we were rocking 40-50% attendance rates very frequently by third year lol

I'm an active practicing vet and maaaaybe attended 20% of my classes in person 2nd and 3rd year. I did a lot of 2x speed watching while cooking and baking, lol.

Reactions: 8 users
I was *in* class most of the time because of class representative stuff but my brain was not present and I was usually taking care of other things (emails and such...or playing WW). Lectures later on 2x speed or even just reading through the notes and powerpoints worked pretty well for me. There is no single, correct way to learn things. Better to embrace what works for you than to bang your head against a wall trying to fit some faulty idea of "normal".

I absolutely hated attending the live zooms this year and straight up stopped doing them most of the time jan-March this year and then classes ended. I wasn’t getting anything out of them. Also, we definitely had like <50% attendance for those too. Also whoops there were definitely lectures I never went back and watched either because I was dealing with a lot those months. But I passed and have made it to clinics now. You gotta do what works best for you.

I was *in* class most of the time because of class representative stuff but my brain was not present and I was usually taking care of other things (emails and such...or playing WW). Lectures later on 2x speed or even just reading through the notes and powerpoints worked pretty well for me. There is no single, correct way to learn things. Better to embrace what works for you than to bang your head against a wall trying to fit some faulty idea of "normal".
I definitely modded a few WW games in class. Also I had a friend who watched all of Boss Baby on his laptop during a couple of classes once during first year. I admire his dedication

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Wow, I sincerely appreciate all of your perspectives on attending lectures. It makes me feel much less alone when I just *can’t* and have to watch recorded lectures in bed. (Or not at all...lol).
I hate that “behind” feeling especially when classmates are discussing the lectures in group chats. But It’s like, what’s the point of spending time “watching” lecture if I’m not going to pay attention or learn anything anyway? ugh. soooo, thank you. 😊

Reactions: 9 users
Wow, I sincerely appreciate all of your perspectives on attending lectures. It makes me feel much less alone when I just *can’t* and have to watch recorded lectures in bed. (Or not at all...lol).
I hate that “behind” feeling especially when classmates are discussing the lectures in group chats. But It’s like, what’s the point of spending time “watching” lecture if I’m not going to pay attention or learn anything anyway? ugh. soooo, thank you. 😊
As long as it’s working for you and you’re passing, you do what you need to

I feel that same way sometimes!! I'll be a week or two (or 3... lol) behind on lectures because of multiple exams and Ill see people talking about the lecture that is live and I feel guilty... I deff have to talk myself down and remind myself I am doing way better than I ever did in undergrad not having to sit in boring lectures where my mind is elsewhere, and being able to watch a professor talk at 2x (or 2.2x for the really slow ones - I may or may not have watched some at 2.4x :lol:) Thanks everyone for sharing what works for you, it sure is nice to hear reassurance that if we want to do things differently than the norm, that we can and its okay ❤️ I do often feel that the people who go to every class and are all caught up often judge you when you say you haven't watched that specific class since the last exam lol

Reactions: 1 users
I feel that same way sometimes!! I'll be a week or two (or 3... lol) behind on lectures because of multiple exams and Ill see people talking about the lecture that is live and I feel guilty... I deff have to talk myself down and remind myself I am doing way better than I ever did in undergrad not having to sit in boring lectures where my mind is elsewhere, and being able to watch a professor talk at 2x (or 2.2x for the really slow ones - I may or may not have watched some at 2.4x :lol:) Thanks everyone for sharing what works for you, it sure is nice to hear reassurance that if we want to do things differently than the norm, that we can and its okay ❤️ I do often feel that the people who go to every class and are all caught up often judge you when you say you haven't watched that specific class since the last exam lol
You do you!! One of my podmates is in class live maybe 50% of the time (if that)... and most of the time she knows more than I do. I feel like I don't catch up to her until the days before an exam and I attend every lecture :lol:

Members don't see this ad :)
After first semester, I didn't attend a single lecture that wasn't mandatory and I didn't even watch the recordings. I found I preferred reading powerpoints because I can get through them faster than I can even do double speed. As long as you're staying on top of the material in some fashion... different people learn in different ways and never feel bad about something if it's working for you.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I didn't even watch the recordings
+1 on this! Very rarely did profs say something that wasn't on the slides. The sole exception to this was when profs would have slides full of pictures with no words. Otherwise, I sat in the back with headphones in making study guides and taking care of club stuff. When to class to socialize, not to learn.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm an active practicing vet and maaaaybe attended 20% of my classes in person 2nd and 3rd year. I did a lot of 2x speed watching while cooking and baking, lol.
Um I didn’t even have recorded lectures and I attended <20% of classes ever. And I still graduated in the top quartile of my class and am a practicing vet who remembers a lot of ****.

when your brain isn’t in the mood to receive information, it’s just a waste of time to sit somewhere for 8 hrs of your day. That in class time is the best way to learn for some people, but literally for me, I could nap more efficiently at home than in class... I studied the best between 10pm and 4am. I took advantage of that golden time where I studied most efficiently. Who’s to tell me that’s wrong? Only bigots and the insecure

Officially done with first year today :biglove:

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Jealous! We have 12 more sleeps :(

• Care
Jealous! We have 12 more sleeps :(
Maybe...

Stressed Episode 19 GIF by The Simpsons

(lol)

• Haha
Extremely jealous. We have exactly 4 more weeks left and I'm so over continuously studying right after finishing one exam for the next thing o_O :bag:

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Extremely jealous. We have exactly 4 more weeks left and I'm so over continuously studying right after finishing one exam for the next thing o_O :bag:
I’m feeling the same. We have 6 more weeks. We’re not done until June 11. Actually midterms are in full swing right now, and I’m so ready to be done 😅

• Wow
I’m feeling the same. We have 6 more weeks. We’re not done until June 11. Actually midterms are in full swing right now, and I’m so ready to be done 😅
Glad we aren't the only school that is ending so late. I guess we'll be trudging through this together. Then somehow we'll pick ourselves up from our study holes at the end and enjoy the summer. 💜

• Care
Hope everyone is doing well. Amazing that we done/almost done with first year! Time flies :)

I have finals in 2 weeks. We can do this!!

Officially done with 1st year! :clap:

• Love
Reactions: 18 users
Woop woop. Feels so good to be done!

• Love
Yay! Congrats on first year come and gone. It a great milestone to pass :D
It at least made me feel confident that I'll make it and am smart enough to not fail out! :lol:

• Love
  • Haha
So glad first year is done! So much harder with no spring break. So burnt out at the end but happy with how it all turned out. Now started my summer jobs and enjoying it so far! Work with the cardiology professor, and research in immunology. Then a one week job for credit in Idaho!

The talk about class attendance reminded me of a movie my Dad mentioned. It started with a guy who put a tape recorder in class to tape his lectures so he didn't have to go. Then there were more and more tape recorders and less and less students, then just a professor in front talking to a room of tape recorders and finally a recording of the professor talking to the tape recorders!

It will be a big change going to all in person classes in the fall.

• Love
I have no idea how you guys powered through without a spring break. We had one later in the semester and it was desperately needed. Major kudos for finishing strong without a break!

I have no idea how you guys powered through without a spring break. We had one later in the semester and it was desperately needed. Major kudos for finishing strong without a break!
I don't claim to have finished strong. I definitely dragged myself across that finish line. So glad spring break will be back next year!

• Haha
There was definitely no power. The batteries in me were definitely screaming "warning - power dangerously low"

Finally officially done with first year and anatomy!!! Wooooo we did it. This last week felt like a year long :banana:

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Admin published our 21-22 year academic calendar and they aligned our spring break with the SAVMA symposium at UMN in March. Maybe this year is going to be somewhat normal?? :D

Also, Virginia Tech is making it mandatory for all students to be vaccinated. I personally was vaccinated the minute the vaccine was available to me but I know the mandatory part makes some of my classmates uncomfortable. Curious to know how other schools are handling things?

• Love
Admin published our 21-22 year academic calendar and they aligned our spring break with the SAVMA symposium at UMN in March. Maybe this year is going to be somewhat normal?? :D

Also, Virginia Tech is making it mandatory for all students to be vaccinated. I personally was vaccinated the minute the vaccine was available to me but I know the mandatory part makes some of my classmates uncomfortable. Curious to know how other schools are handling things?
Purdue is saying if you don't get vaccinated you have to participate in random testing. I wish they would enforce mandatory vaccination. They do for the flu shot.

Purdue is saying if you don't get vaccinated you have to participate in random testing. I wish they would enforce mandatory vaccination. They do for the flu shot.
That’s pretty good incentive to be vaccinated! The nasal swab thing sucks!!

AYOOOO BARBECUE AT SHORTY’S HOUSE

Well, barbecue might be challenging at that time of year, but we’d figure something out.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Illinois is not mandating vaccines but you have to saliva test twice weekly if you’re not vaccinated. They’re supposedly not going to be requiring testing if you submit proof of your vaccine card.

Here's what UMN sent out most recently (from the president of the university - if the CVM is going to be more stringent, I haven't gotten any email to that effect yet):

Dear students, faculty, and staff,

For more than a year, throughout this pandemic, you have been patient and kind. You have embraced simple and effective habits to elevate and protect each other’s health, wellbeing, and safety. And you have been most generous in reaching out to share important thoughts and expectations about the pandemic, including what you deem best for our campus community and ways to minimize risk. Over recent weeks, I have heard from many of you about the new academic year and what it might look like to learn, live, work, discover, and serve as a member of our campus communities this fall. For many, there is great excitement about the possibility of a full in-person campus experience. For others, there is some concern about a return to campus, and we understand and respect those concerns.

As we continue to make important pandemic-related decisions together as a University, we remain grounded in guidance from the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH), the infection and vaccination rates of our campus’ surrounding communities, and insights from our own internationally renowned public health and medical experts. This collective information and expertise has kept our COVID-19 rates at some of the lowest among our peers and has guided us, along with extensive consultation with you, to decide that the University will not require that students, faculty, and staff be vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to the start of the fall semester. Be assured that we remain vigilant and nimble and our assessment is ongoing even as pandemic conditions in Minnesota and the nation improve.

The rationale for this decision​

Similar to every step of our pandemic response, it is challenging to address everyone’s individual circumstance through any single University-wide approach. Vaccination is no different. It is a complex and personal issue. For example, among parents of children younger than 12, the childhood risks of COVID-19 continue to be a reality. However, tests of the vaccine are underway for children as young as 6 months old, and FDA approval of a vaccine for ages 5 through 11 is expected in early fall. Immunocompromised employees, students, or their household members also continue to be top of mind for our community. These individuals are encouraged to work through their campus’ disability resources or human resources teams to address those concerns.

After extensive consultation with our internal community and after seeking advice from public health and medical experts, we are putting the full weight of the University behind access to vaccines and information about the benefits of vaccination. Public health experts note that a 100% vaccination rate is not possible in any situation and the most effective strategy is access and information.

More importantly, more than 65% of Minnesotans older than 16 have stepped up to protect their communities and have already received at least one vaccine dose; an important measure in assessing safety on our campuses. Hennepin and Ramsey counties are now both over 74%, Olmsted County (Rochester campus) is over 79%, St. Louis County (Duluth campus) is over 65%, and Polk and Stevens counties (respectively the Crookston and Morris campuses) are both over 54%. MDH notes that within each county it is likely that the cities with a local healthcare institution—as in the case of Duluth, Morris, and Crookston—are likely to have a higher vaccination rate than the county as a whole simply due to ease of access.

Taking steps to enhance accessibility to vaccines and encouraging the University community’s participation in our efforts is an effective way to achieve a safe fall semester. This approach is very similar to our M Test approach from last fall, which proved that clear messaging can be as effective, if not more effective, than mandatory policies. In fact, MDH did not confirm a single cluster or outbreak in any University of Minnesota environment since the start of the peacetime emergency.

Many members of the University community have already answered the call. A survey of Twin Cities students, faculty, and staff conducted in May showed 96% of respondents had received at least one vaccine dose or reported plans to be vaccinated, while 84% reported they were fully vaccinated. This is a great start that I hope spreads across all our campus communities, and is also an important factor in assessing our safety and the safety of those we care for.

“Get the Vax”​

If you are in that small remaining group that hasn’t yet been vaccinated, we ask that you support our “Get the Vax” plan. Evidence overwhelmingly shows that being vaccinated is the single most important step you can take to prevent serious illness and protect others. So if you haven’t been vaccinated yet, I urge you to Get the Vax as soon as possible. The State of Minnesota has a comprehensive vaccination locator and you can always call your primary care provider for more information.

As we look ahead, the University is committed to increasing vaccination rates in our campus communities, while also helping enhance accessibility and providing information to those with questions or concerns about the COVID-19 vaccine. Here are important things to remember:

• The University will make vaccines accessible to our community in partnership with state and local organizations. Enough vaccine doses exist for anyone in Minnesota 12 years old or older.
  • Vaccines currently available are the safest and most effective in the world. Medical and public health experts agree that risks associated with the vaccine are far less than those associated with COVID-19.
  • We will respect individual choices. Some may choose not to be vaccinated for medical, religious, or other reasons. Others may choose to continue to wear masks—even if they are vaccinated—for any number of valid medical reasons. We will respect these individual decisions and expect each member of our community to show the same respect to others.
  • The University is committed to protecting your privacy. The University will not ask individuals to disclose their vaccination status to their fellow students, instructors, or coworkers.
  • For our faculty, staff, and student employees, please reference Office of Human Resources guidance for details on returning to the workplace if you haven’t done so already.
  • As part of our commitment, the University’s Wellbeing Program will offer points during next year’s wellbeing program for those employees and spouses who have been vaccinated. These points will be a significant portion of the overall points needed to realize the premium reduction in 2023.

Here's what UMN sent out most recently (from the president of the university - if the CVM is going to be more stringent, I haven't gotten any email to that effect yet):
Your email was significantly more beefy than ours…

Dear faculty, staff, and students,

For more than a year, we have worked together to manage through a global pandemic that has significantly impacted our community. While COVID-19 is not yet fully behind us, vaccines have dramatically lowered the risk of infection and made it possible to plan for a fully in-person fall semester without mask or physical distancing requirements for vaccinated members of our community. We’re now filled with excitement about everything this will mean to our lives and this university we love. The Hokie experience will be back this fall.

This return to normalcy will be made possible by following the data and the evolving science while maintaining our firm commitment to each other in the spirit of Ut Prosim (That I May Serve) and our Principles of Community. Despite lower risks today and the downward trends in cases, hospitalizations, and deaths in Virginia, it is clear that the full experience we must strive to offer in the fall will only be assured with vaccine-induced population-scale immunity and low disease prevalence on our campuses and in our larger communities.

Last week the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) published its Guidance for Institutions of Higher Education, advising that complete elimination of masking and distancing requirements for everyone would be advisable only if everyone is fully vaccinated. Our own data support this conclusion. The high population density in residence halls, off-campus housing, and classrooms — combined with the mobility of students — presents challenges not seen in other settings. Understanding that there will always be those in our community who should not be vaccinated, we must take care to limit exceptions and to ensure that those who are not vaccinated are able to participate in the Virginia Tech experience without fear for their personal health safety. This combination of CDC guidance and Virginia Tech’s own experience over the past three semesters has informed the following decisions regarding vaccinations.

Vaccinations will be required for all students attending Virginia Tech in the fall, with exemptions for medical reasons and sincerely held religious beliefs.During the past two semesters, we weathered significant surges in COVID-19 cases in Blacksburg. We did this through robust testing, self-quarantine, masking, and physical distancing. We must do everything possible to avoid repeating the challenges of the last 14 months, and to ensure that students who cannot be vaccinated are able to participate in campus life and in-person learning. It is essential that every student who can be vaccinated, is vaccinated.

Students should visit this site for more information about vaccination requirements, confirming vaccination status, and requesting an exemption. The deadline for students to report that they have received the full course of vaccine doses (one or two, depending on the vaccine) is Aug. 6, 2021.

Virginia Tech employees are strongly encouraged to be vaccinated. The need and frequency of testing for unvaccinated employees will be determined based on the risk an individual’s position presents to the community. In an employee survey last semester, nearly 90 percent of respondents reported being vaccinated. This response and the low prevalence of infection for employees in high-contact roles throughout the most recent semester give us confidence that the risk to and from employees will be relatively low and manageable if nearly everyone is vaccinated. The deadline for reporting the completion of the full course of vaccination doses is Aug. 15. More information about confirming vaccination status and requesting exceptions can be found here.

We know that some, regardless of vaccination status, may prefer to limit their risk further by continuing to wear masks while around others. We respect and support that personal decision.

To all Hokies, I greatly appreciate the selfless commitment to public health guidelines that has helped us manage through and ultimately emerge stronger from this pandemic. And thank you in advance for taking this next step toward a return to a fully in-person fall semester, with all the joy and benefits of the shared experience we cherish at Virginia Tech, along with new tools, methods, and expertise that we have developed throughout the pandemic. I am confident that this “next normal” will make us a better university and an even more resilient, connected, and service-minded community.

Go Hokies!

Tufts is mandating all students to be vaccinated and submit their proof by July 1.

Illinois is not mandating vaccines but you have to saliva test twice weekly if you’re not vaccinated. They’re supposedly not going to be requiring testing if you submit proof of your vaccine card.
Update as of 13 minutes ago: illinois is now mandating vaccinations if you are going to be on campus this fall.

Reactions: 3 users