Class of 2024... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The material definitely gets better as you get into higher years. I didn't really take many undergrad courses related to phys/biochem/etc so even the "basic" info was mostly new to me. The idea of repeating first year material at this point makes me want to vomit, but at the time it really wasn't that bad (probably because I didn't realize how awesome 3rd year courses were).

I can't imagine doing first year if you've already taken phys/anatomy/etc classes. That would be brutal if it was mostly review.
I took those and its still not all review for me but I think its just the fact the way uf did anatomy that It put me behind in other courses. I feel next semester will be more managable. The only reason I dont have free time after anatomy was over is getting distracted.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you all been given your spring semester schedule yet? My class is over here like waiting less and less patiently lol. All we know is that since we got behind in anatomy due to a class wide 2 week isolation, we will not have time to isolate before starting anatomy. So when we start back on the 4th we will have lab

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you all been given your spring semester schedule yet? My class is over here like waiting less and less patiently lol. All we know is that since we got behind in anatomy due to a class wide 2 week isolation, we will not have time to isolate before starting anatomy. So when we start back on the 4th we will have lab
We haven't yet gotten the schedule but I've heard that we won't have any in-person classes for the first two weeks or so to allow everyone to quarantine after New Years.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys! I’m currently awaiting decisions for the c/o 2025 but I would love to hear how many of you moved back home when covid hit and moved everything online. I’m trying to plan as much as possible for next year. While I would love to move out for the first time and have some independence, I know it’s not the most fiscally sound idea if everything for my first year is online and I could work from home.

Hi guys! I’m currently awaiting decisions for the c/o 2025 but I would love to hear how many of you moved back home when covid hit and moved everything online. I’m trying to plan as much as possible for next year. While I would love to move out for the first time and have some independence, I know it’s not the most fiscally sound idea if everything for my first year is online and I could work from home.
I think this is totally dependent on your school. Our 1st years had to be in town for anatomy lab-it was not remote. Hopefully we will be way more normalish by then (I would be surprised otherwise tbh). Imo I would plan on moving out if accepted somewhere.

Reactions: 1 users
It is definitely easier this year to make the decision to stay home instead of finding housing closer to school but there are still in-person courses (ie anatomy lab which for us we had multiple times a week) for at least all the schools I've heard about. It also depends how far you live from the school you end up attending. My school requires us to get COVID tested every week on a specified day even if we don't have other scheduled in-person classes. I personally wouldn't want to have to drive 3 hrs or even an hour (like some classmates I know) to take a COVID test that takes <10 mins and then drive all the way back. Additionally, even with COVID, clubs at my school were able to do some amazing in-person activities that I wouldn't have been able to logistically attend if I didn't have housing closer to school.

You have a lot of time to figure out housing and to hear what school will even look like next year.

Reactions: 3 users
Definitely would not have been feasible at VMCVM, though one of my podmates (aka labmates) went home every weekend and would stay an extra day or two if we didn’t have anything going on in person. Home for her is only 1.5 hours away but she still had an apartment near school.

Would not have worked at KSU either. We had anatomy labs in person, and lectures one or two times a week in person. Plus we went in a lot to study with our lab groups. Next semester will be similar here but I'm hoping in the fall things will be back closer to normal (may have to still wear masks though).

We got our spring schedule back in November

Sign me up too anatomy was brutal but mostly it was the professor...
We only have one semester of anatomy, so it’s a lot. Fortunately our anatomy prof is just an amazing teacher and human being, it makes it easier for sure. I’d hate to imagine it with any other professor honestly! Just my brain prefers physiology 🤷‍♀️ .

I think this is totally dependent on your school. Our 1st years had to be in town for anatomy lab-it was not remote. Hopefully we will be way more normalish by then (I would be surprised otherwise tbh). Imo I would plan on moving out if accepted somewhere.
I was planning on moving and was excited to do so, just worried about renting or signing something just for covid to ruin it lol

At A&M, nearly all of our labs (except phys) were in-person. Lectures were online or in-person depending on your preference.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was planning on moving and was excited to do so, just worried about renting or signing something just for covid to ruin it lol
I think anatomy being a standard first year course makes it difficult at any school not to move there. Most of my class had to find living remotely because of covid. Crazy times.

Thank you everyone for the input! I appreciate it :) as I said in a previous post, I was planning to move anyways but I was curious what everyone else was doing in light of the pandemic. Let’s hope by fall more things are back to normal. Though I do anticipate masks and possibly social distancing will still be a thing.

Thank you everyone for the input! I appreciate it :) as I said in a previous post, I was planning to move anyways but I was curious what everyone else was doing in light of the pandemic. Let’s hope by fall more things are back to normal. Though I do anticipate masks and possibly social distancing will still be a thing.
Your in-state cancelled all in-person labs for Y1 and Y2 students for Fall 2020. Don't know if they have announced if that is continuing for spring and if it will continue for c/o 2025 students

Reactions: 2 users
Your in-state cancelled all in-person labs for Y1 and Y2 students for Fall 2020. Don't know if they have announced if that is continuing for spring and if it will continue for c/o 2025 students
This is good to know. Thank you! Hoping that by fall 21 some things might open up!!! I really like MSU’s skills lab and I hope to be able to use it!

Spring 2021 is currently all online for Y1 and Y2, no decisions yet on Fall 2021 👍🏼

Purdue is 100% in person for the first years and they told us even before we started that even if we weren't in person we would have to move locally.

• Wow
We got ours at Purdue about a month or 2 ago.

Just have to come on here to say as someone who struggled with severe undiagnosed ADHD and anxiety, did super poorly the first two years of college, and got rejected from every school my first application cycle without a single interview - I finished my first semester with a 4.0!!!!! 😆

• Love
Reactions: 18 users
Just have to come on here to say as someone who struggled with severe undiagnosed ADHD and anxiety, did super poorly the first two years of college, and got rejected from every school my first application cycle without a single interview - I finished my first semester with a 4.0!!!!! 😆

Literal same with minor exceptions :laugh:

congrats!!! amazing job!! :biglove:

semester 1 over!

Reactions: 5 users
Now that winter break is coming to a close ... anyone do or learn anything exciting?

I’ve been learning how to drive a stick shift :p

Now that winter break is coming to a close ... anyone do or learn anything exciting?

I’ve been learning how to drive a stick shift :p
Winter break ended Monday for us :c

It's been REALLY hard to get back into the grind after essentially loafing around for a month haha

We don't start back for a couple weeks. I'm snowboarding in Sun Valley now and worked a couple shifts overnight at an ER which I had never done.

We started last Tuesday.... I’m already a week behind lol I cannot get in the groove to study

Reactions: 7 users
Little win: While I was back home I got to do 80% of a canine neuter and 100% of a feline neuter. Made me feel like a baby doctor and that the info we are learning is actually applicable!! Eek anyway, now back into the groove of zoom university. Started this Monday, loving the classes this semester more than last semester. Does anyone have some cool summer plans or recommendations??

Reactions: 9 users
Little win: While I was back home I got to do 80% of a canine neuter and 100% of a feline neuter. Made me feel like a baby doctor and that the info we are learning is actually applicable!! Eek anyway, now back into the groove of zoom university. Started this Monday, loving the classes this semester more than last semester. Does anyone have some cool summer plans or recommendations??
I’m a busy body so I have a few *unofficial* externships set up at big specialty practices this summer. Some aren’t taking an externs due to covid but I was surprised at how many are!

I also started training as an after hours tech in my school’s clin path lab a few months ago so I’ll be doing that through 3rd year :)

• Love
I’m a busy body so I have a few *unofficial* externships set up at big specialty practices this summer. Some aren’t taking an externs due to covid but I was surprised at how many are!

I also started training as an after hours tech in my school’s clin path lab a few months ago so I’ll be doing that through 3rd year :)
How exciting!!! Good for you for seeking out externships and getting experience!! In undergrad I was such a busy body, always looking for the next opportunity, and now.... not so much, maybe a result of uninspiring online class but I really had to convince myself to apply for a bovine experience over the summer, barely got it done. Hoping that it pans out, if not, just sleeping a lot and hanging out with family doesn't sound so bad either. Need to get my undergrad go-getter mindset back. How is having a job + school? Pretty doable?

How exciting!!! Good for you for seeking out externships and getting experience!! In undergrad I was such a busy body, always looking for the next opportunity, and now.... not so much, maybe a result of uninspiring online class but I really had to convince myself to apply for a bovine experience over the summer, barely got it done. Hoping that it pans out, if not, just sleeping a lot and hanging out with family doesn't sound so bad either. Need to get my undergrad go-getter mindset back.
There is nothing wrong with not doing anything over your summers and just taking a break! Vet school is HARD. If you don’t want to do anything, don’t do anything! My first summer I had a small 2 week externship and did 4 days with my local humane society’s shelter med team and then just let myself relax and enjoy the rest of the summer. Last summer I was going to do something similar, but then COVID happened. Some people need that summer break to just do nothing so they don’t burn out and that’s okay :)

Reactions: 9 users
How exciting!!! Good for you for seeking out externships and getting experience!! In undergrad I was such a busy body, always looking for the next opportunity, and now.... not so much, maybe a result of uninspiring online class but I really had to convince myself to apply for a bovine experience over the summer, barely got it done. Hoping that it pans out, if not, just sleeping a lot and hanging out with family doesn't sound so bad either. Need to get my undergrad go-getter mindset back. How is having a job + school? Pretty doable?
Having a job has been manageable for me but it takes the right person and the right job. It’s required a decent amount of training, which they allow us to schedule around classes. In February I should be done training then I’ll just be on call a couple nights/week. I lease a horse and it more than pays for that, which is my major form of stress management.

I hope you get the bovine externship! And like @SkiOtter said, nothing wrong with chilling out either!

looking for a little study advice - I just started immunology and there is a ton of information. I luckily took a similar course in undergrad so some of the concepts are familiar. anyways, how to people condense their notes into really short study guides? I find it difficult to pick out/summarize paragraphs into a sentence or two. does anyone have any tips?

looking for a little study advice - I just started immunology and there is a ton of information. I luckily took a similar course in undergrad so some of the concepts are familiar. anyways, how to people condense their notes into really short study guides? I find it difficult to pick out/summarize paragraphs into a sentence or two. does anyone have any tips?
Do they give you learning objectives or anything like that? I would start there if they do.
It also kind of depends on the professor and how much detail they want you to know. If you can reach out to people in the classes above you that might be helpful for figuring out if you can learn things more big picture or need to know tiny details. My study methods changed a lot depending on the class (and my energy levels). I found drawing diagrams and flowcharts and such really helpful for immunology, for example.

Finishing up week 6 of this semester and I still have no idea what is happening in neuro :shrug:

• Care

I know you posted this a few weeks ago, but I see your a Tufts student, so thought I would chime in just in case you're still having some trouble. Immunology was actually my favorite class of spring semester. I really liked the professor. The biggest thing that helped me with this class is the syllabus. It's really well put together and I relied on it almost 100% when I studied. I went through and did the learning objectives as I was reading and then I answered the questions at the end. Last year he gave us some student made questions and those were helpful (and were harder than the exam so if you do well on those I'd say you're pretty well prepared).

Finishing up week 6 of this semester and I still have no idea what is happening in neuro :shrug:
I feel you. Neuro (and parasitology) are my :bang: subjects

I feel you. Neuro (and parasitology) are my :bang: subjects
Currently pharmacology for me. For some insane reason my college shortened the class to 7 weeks (was always a full semester), but left the course load the exact same. Oh, and the final exam is 42% of our grade. So let’s just say I’m currently drowning in drug cards and can’t seem to focus on anything else 🙃

My least favorite subjects: musculoskeletal system and neuro. This semester’s entire focus: musculoskeletal and neuro.
help me new girl quotes GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
My least favorite subjects: musculoskeletal system and neuro. This semester’s entire focus: musculoskeletal and neuro.
help me new girl quotes GIF
Our neuro professor and his robot voice though :laugh: I swear he makes me laugh and he doesn’t even try!

Here I am not being a fan of immunology 😂😂😂

Reactions: 3 users
I believe it's also called the dorsolateral funiculus (of the white matter of the spinal cord)
I probably heard this word. Can I confirm that I have heard this word? Absolutely not. But I'm positive my anatomy, pathology, and neurology profs said this word. So I've probably heard it at least 3 times.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
I probably heard this word. Can I confirm that I have heard this word? Absolutely not.
I already forgot what it does. :roflcopter:

I don't think I ever learned what it did, definitely don't know what it does now... :whistle:
How I keep passing classes by a decent margin is a mystery, yet here I am 3 months away from clinics :laugh:

I don't think I ever learned what it did, definitely don't know what it does now... :whistle:
How I keep passing classes by a decent margin is a mystery, yet here I am 3 months away from clinics :laugh:
Because you're a rockstar!! :1geek:

• Haha
I like immunology but am not a fan of epidemiology. I got a new study tool called Anki that is amazing and helps a lot. Hard to learn but once you do it changes the world.