Class of 2024... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
8 months in advance seems … extreme?
Nah go for it! You can always make edits if any of them change (speaking from personal experience) ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You can always make edits if any of them change (speaking from personal experience)
Yeah, no one notices when you change your entire schedule 3 or 4 times in the span of 2 months lol. Also speaking from experience.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
You guys start clinics after second year?
We finish our core curriculum 2nd year, head into clinics for the summer, take electives 3rd year, then clinics again 4th year. Total we do 17 3-week rotations, 5 during the summer between 2nd and 3rd year.

Reactions: 4 users
Most exciting thing so far is that I'm going with the cardiologist I'm working with to work a cat show for a weekend in Sept. and screening cats at the show. I'm looking forward to it!

Reactions: 12 users
I caved to the peer pressure :X3:
If you need more equine off campus, there's a great practice I was going to go to in my area, but covid canceled it for me. I've heard good things!

• Love
If you need more equine off campus, there's a great practice I was going to go to in my area, but covid canceled it for me. I've heard good things!
PM me the name!!

PM me the name!!
There's a big place (boarding / breeding?) in TN (or maybe KY?) that sent us an email about externship last year. I can forward it to you if your class didn't get it.

You could do a clinical med rotation there. I thought about doing a PC rotation there for disease management stuff if you want some ideas about how to do your required PC rotation with something that is more lined up with your career goals.

One of my classmates also did a PC rotation with the USDA's equine epidemiologist it you want that contact. :)

• Love
Does anyone know where the link was that showed all the pros and cons of each veterinary school? I can't remember where I found it months ago. But anyone was able to add to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know where the link was that showed all the pros and cons of each veterinary school? I can't remember where I found it months ago. But anyone was able to add to it.
It’s a doc linked in a thread called Factors When Picking a School that is stickied at the top of the “help me decide: x vs y” subforum at the top of this page. Had difficulty linking on mobile.

Does any school have classes/club activities for lower grade vet students to work up cases and practice diagnostic reasoning? I heard WSU has a class at the second year and wonder what it is like.

Does any school have classes/club activities for lower grade vet students to work up cases and practice diagnostic reasoning? I heard WSU has a class at the second year and wonder what it is like.
We have integrative sessions in our curriculum that start year 1 semester 1. We work in pods on cases applicable to what we’re studying. Generally we have 1 integrative session per week. We also have a few clubs that have case rounds with clinicians and/or 4th year students in the teaching hospital.

There's a big place (boarding / breeding?) in TN (or maybe KY?) that sent us an email about externship last year. I can forward it to you if your class didn't get it.

You could do a clinical med rotation there. I thought about doing a PC rotation there for disease management stuff if you want some ideas about how to do your required PC rotation with something that is more lined up with your career goals.

One of my classmates also did a PC rotation with the USDA's equine epidemiologist it you want that contact. :)
I would LOVE the name of the USDA’s equine epidemiologist!!!!

We have integrative sessions in our curriculum that start year 1 semester 1. We work in pods on cases applicable to what we’re studying. Generally we have 1 integrative session per week. We also have a few clubs that have case rounds with clinicians and/or 4th year students in the teaching hospital.
Same here. Applications and integrations (problem-based case-based group learning) for 4 hours/week, and at least equine and food animal clubs have monthly case rounds for about an hour with a clinician.

At my school, there’s a lot of clubs on campus that have case presentations and case rounds (which I literally was talking to professors/residents today about gaining access to interesting cases that we can present throughout the school year to a club I am on the eboard for). Additionally, first year we have a Problem Based Learning class every week working up a case.

Last edited:
Yeah at WSU alot of clubs have case rounds-either over lunch or evening events-some once per week others once per semester it just depends. Then we have the second year elective which I didn't take so I don't know specifics but people seemed to like it. In our second year we also have diagnostic cases 2 weeks during the fall of second year that is simulated case workup. We also have an elective for ag med that does case work up that years 1-3 can take. We also have colic team that meets weekly to have colic case work ups. We also have the summer electives for under students to be on ortho, onco, or ag animal and are treated like 4th years. So lots of opportunities for that stuff at WSU.

At Illinois, case-based learning depending on the class. Not so much during first year. But it ramped up during 2nd and 3rd year. 1st and 2nd years were also welcome to hang out on services during breaks as well.

Not a class but Duncan and Prasse's Veterinary Laboratory Medicine is great and the back of the book is filled with practice cases.

• Love
Not a class but Duncan and Prasse's Veterinary Laboratory Medicine is great and the back of the book is filled with practice cases.
Thank you! Gonna pick that up from library tomorrow!

At my school, there’s a lot of clubs on campus that have case presentations and case rounds (which I literally was talking to professors/residents today about gaining access to interesting cases that we can present throughout the school year to a club I am on the eboard for). Additionally, first year we have a Problem Based Learning class every week working up a case.
Which school is this? Any chance these rounds/club activities are online and may include students from other schools to participate in?

Which school is this? Any chance these rounds/club activities are online and may include students from other schools to participate in?
Tufts. Sadly the weekly case rounds that my school puts on are considered confidential information.

The cases that my club are putting together are being put up on a platform that only Tufts community can access sadly.

But there are websites like VIN (free for vet students) that have weekly student case rounds if that is what you are looking for. There’s also VETGirl which l think sometimes does live case rounds and is also free for vet students to join. And a lot of national conferences that I’ve seen have case presentations.

Last edited:
Small animal dentistry :barf:
That is all.

Cats want to not have teeth at all costs

Small dogs should not have teeth at all costs

Big dogs should not be allowed to have nylabones at all costs

There's your 10,000' summary 😬
I love this more than I should :lol:

So ... I haven't gone to a single lecture in person since the 2nd week of the semester. My exam scores are better, I actually get to see my horse during daylight hours, and I feel happier/less stressed in general because I feel like I'm still living my life (vs. vet school dictating every day of my life).

How are y'all doing? And who's ready for Thanksgiving break??!! :love:

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 13 users
So ... I haven't gone to a single lecture in person since the 2nd week of the semester. My exam scores are better, I actually get to see my horse during daylight hours, and I feel happier/less stressed in general because I feel like I'm still living my life (vs. vet school dictating every day of my life).

Second year is an absolute riot, and has gone by sooo fast. I can't believe the end of the semester is less than a month away!?

I've been having a tough semester due to dealing with loss and grief, but things are starting to look up for me. I too, tend to skip my in-person classes and review lectures on my own time, and my mental health has thanked me for that. It's really helped to prioritize my own needs, and taking care of myself, and I have definitely seen an improvement in my grades when I listen to what my body needs. I am beyond ready for Thanksgiving break, I keep counting down the hours until Friday because I -know- I will be spending the first two days of break sleeping all day and acting like a zombie because I will be turning my brain off LOL:rofl:

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I'm absolutely overwhelmed with this half semester 2-credit systemic pathology class. but at least I can rule pathologist out for my future career options

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Hitting that point in the semester where it's hard to make myself care about studying, but overall this year has been a lot easier/more manageable. Thanksgiving break is coming right on time. 😅

In good news, I get to AI a cow for the first time tomorrow morning for my AI elective! That class has been one of the most hands on and relaxing courses of my vet school career so far.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone have a link to the Google docs that listed all the pros and cons for each vet school? Can't seem to find it!

Does anyone have a link to the Google docs that listed all the pros and cons for each vet school? Can't seem to find it!

I believe @silverrains has it linked in their signature
I realize that this is several days late and you've probably found what you've needed, but you can access it here. And, yeah, there's also a link to it in my signature, though I understand that might be difficult or impossible to see if you're on mobile.

Done for the semester and SO glad! Heading home tomorrow, back to KS for Christmas with GF, back home for New Years and then Cancun for a week! Have good holidays all!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

Stopped going in person and studying 5 days before the exam by rewatching lectures. Grades go up because I'm actively listening. Now to carry this into spring. I invite you to look at UF CVMs schedule though and tell me if yours is less cray cause I'm hoping they learn to schedule

Reactions: 1 users
I adopted a cat a week before I started vet school in first year (last year) thinking that he will get to be with me through all my vet school adventures. He's my first pet as an adult and my first cat I ever cared for. Originally meant to browse Petfinder and adopt a cat when I was all nice and settled in vet school, but saw his profile and immediately fell in love with his derpy face. Ended up adopting him literally three days later a week before vet school started. Well Friday night, he was rushed to the ER & hospitalized for being acutely neurologic and was diagnosed on Monday via MRI with glioma (most likely) and now only has 3-6 months to live with palliative care :( Oh also the doctor thinks he's like at least 10+ years old based on his thoracic radiographs which means the rescue I adopted him from totally mis-aged him by like half (they thought he was 5). Come to think of it, it totally explains all his old-man energy/vibes. I just thought he was an old soul trapped in a cat's body the entire time lol

I'm pretty crushed at the news as when I feel discouraged or in a studying clump, I look over to his smooshy lil face and keep pushing on to do well so that one day I can be the doctor I want to be and be able to take care of him for a very long time. I hoped to have at least ten more years with him with all the fancy prescription kibble he eats (literally eats RC Ultamino) and all the other preventatives, dental cleanings and all. So it's been pretty devastating to be told I only have on average less than half a year with him left. Hopefully he can be with me to watch me finish becoming half a doctor.

He's home from hospitalization now. His neuro signs are slightly improved as he can now, with steroids, kinda sorta do something that resembles a walk/stand a little bit compared to how he was completely nonambulatory before. I'm trying to just take it one day at a time with him and telling myself that it'll take time for him to hopefully get more motor function back while also keeping in mind his quality of life. The neurologist thinks cognitively he's still there so I'm glad at least he's still himself besides all this. Her certainly eats like his old self :) While he was hospitalized this weekend, I got to visit him once a day which was really nice. I also spent a lot of time looking at all the photos/videos I took of him since I adopted him and despite the fact that I took a few hundred videos/photos, it still didn't feel like enough so I guess I'll be taking a few hundred more during his last remaining months.

Anyway here's my amazing perfect old man baby boy Hobbes <3 Just wanted to share what a good boy he is. This is the last photo I took of him before he became neurologic. Took it literally that morning because he loves to sit like a derp. Had I known he'd be hospitalized later that night, I'd definitely would've given him more kisses.

Attachments

• 20211210_074302.jpg
    20211210_074302.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 102
  • Care
Reactions: 26 users
He's so handsome @Lisagk 💙
I'm so sorry that you don't have as much time with him as you'd hoped, but he's also so so so incredibly lucky to be spending his golden years with you!

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Cumulative final tomorrow morning. This is how studying is going :censored:

C5FBC802-53B4-42DC-B104-67262B119CC2.jpeg

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 15 users
My relaxing winter break is off to a great start! A classmate’s dog is staying with me (super sweet dog but young and it’s been a looooooong time since I’ve had a young dog!). I stepped into the yard with my 2 pups and when I went to go back inside, classmate’s dog jumped on the slider, hit the latch, and locked us out. Imagine a 1.5 year old 50 lb master shredder and eater of all things unsupervised in your house :heckyeah::heckyeah::heckyeah:

Thankfully a different classmate that’s pet sat for me hadn’t left town yet and was able to swing by to let me back into my house before any shenanigans ensued :bow:

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
I did the SJP (student job program) with Banfield and it was great!
I also did an externship with Veterinary Emergency Group for two weeks, part of it was amazing and part of it kinda sucked.
Hi! I have the video interview scheduled with VEG within the next 48 hours. Do you have any advice? What questions did it ask?

Dear veterinary SDN community,

UW-Madison SVM has implemented a new policy that in light of their hospital short staffing issues, that they are going to force fourth year students into making up for this labor shortage through more unpaid work. This policy would essentially extend the work day to up to 16 hours and the work week to up to 70 hours. Again, this is all uncompensated labor. Fourth year students are already working 7 days a week.
Please sign this petition in solidarity to preserve the veterinary student work-life balance and well-being to repeal this expoitative policy. These are our future doctors! We need to be part of the change for a better vet culture and future. The petition is being presented to administration today but will still be collecting signatures of support. The petition has already gathered nearly 500 signatures!

To read more extent about the petition and to add your signature of support, please follow this link here: 8pm Treatment Petition

Thank you!

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 6 users