Comparing EVMS and VCU/MCV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EVMS or VCU/MCV

• Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS)

Votes: 25 40.3%
  • Virginia Commonwealth University/ Medical College of Virginia (VCU/MCV)

Votes: 37 59.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

futuredoc100

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since VA is known for its quality and ultracompetitive med schools (UVA, EVMS, and VCU), which one is regarded better... EVMS or VCU?....

Members don't see this ad.

Much more in the way of research going on at VCU, but that is applicant dependent.

The area around EVMS is much more liveable, school is walkable - less need for a car, at least in the first 2 years.

I don't think you can go wrong at either school.

EVMS is my opinion.

EVMS is known for its great faculty and students. Much smaller class size than VCU. EVMS does very well on Step 1.. I heard rumors that behind UVA, EVMS was in second place for highest step 1 average.. I just get the impression that EVMS is more competitive to gain admissions to than VCU. Sentara Norfolk General Hospital (EVMS) is also one of the best hospitals in the country... I believe even better than MCV hospital. Finally EVMS is in a great great great location. The same definetly cannot be said about VCU.

But all in all, either way, both schools are really good.

Members don't see this ad :)
EVMS is my opinion.

EVMS is known for its great faculty and students. Much smaller class size than VCU. EVMS does very well on Step 1.. I heard rumors that behind UVA, EVMS was in second place for highest step 1 average.. I just get the impression that EVMS is more competitive to gain admissions to than VCU. Sentara Norfolk General Hospital (EVMS) is also one of the best hospitals in the country... I believe even better than MCV hospital. Finally EVMS is in a great great great location. The same definetly cannot be said about VCU.

But all in all, either way, both schools are really good.

Yes, from my experiences, EVMS is more competitive to gain admission to than VCU. I know many friends that gained admission to VCU but were either waitlisted or rejected from EVMS. But just because a school has harder admission standards does not mean it is a better school. Both are equally reputable.

Both are great schools..... Just EVMS is in an awesome location :cool:

EVMS is pretty much bottom of the barrel as far as US med schools go.

EVMS is pretty much bottom of the barrel as far as US med schools go.

Wow... and where is this ranking......

also if this is the case, then why is EVMS so much more competitive to gain admission to than a lot of medical schools..... I know it is harder to get into EVMS than MCV... a lot of people who got accepted to EVMS were also accepted to MCV, but chose EVMS.... and there are a lot of students who got accepted to MCV but not EVMS either being waitlisted or rejected... EVMS from all the things I heard needs a higher MCAT than MCV... in fact, a lot of students chose EVMS over many other prestigious schools.....

In my opinion, they recruit the most talented students in Virginia behind UVA, and that speaks a lot, because Virginia traditionally has very strong academics and very competitive students

But more important than all of this, is the great students that exist at the school. It is a noncompetitive stress-free environment which is very helfpul in learning. The same simply cannot be said about most schools.

But more important than all of this, is the great students that exist at the school. It is a noncompetitive stress-free environment which is very helfpul in learning. The same simply cannot be said about most schools.

Whether it can or cannot, it absolutely is said at virtually all the schools I've been to.

Nothing to do with the topic, but I just thought I'd point this out.

also if this is the case, then why is EVMS so much more competitive to gain admission to than a lot of medical schools..... I know it is harder to get into EVMS than MCV... a lot of people who got accepted to EVMS were also accepted to MCV, but chose EVMS.... and there are a lot of students who got accepted to MCV but not EVMS either being waitlisted or rejected... EVMS from all the things I heard needs a higher MCAT than MCV... in fact, a lot of students chose EVMS over many other prestigious schools.....

In my opinion, they recruit the most talented students in Virginia behind UVA, and that speaks a lot, because Virginia traditionally has very strong academics and very competitive students

Their average MCAT is below the national median in PS and Writing, and on par in the other two categories. Their average GPAs are 3.6/3.5. You can not make the argument that they are recruiting quality students.

And as someone who as seen the facilities and talked to the "great students" there, they are both unimpressive at best.

Their average MCAT is below the national median in PS and Writing, and on par in the other two categories. Their average GPAs are 3.6/3.5. You can not make the argument that they are recruiting quality students.

And as someone who as seen the facilities and talked to the "great students" there, they are both unimpressive at best.

:laugh:

regardless of what school you prefer... MCAT and gpa say nothing about the person's ability to be a quality physician. just wanted to throw that out there.

besides, they're both great schools... they're public... and virginia should be proud of having such a great education system. yes, UVA too.

in the end, each of the three schools (soon 4) produce... doctors.

This is an interesting statement (emphasis added).

Well then. You. US news and world report. And all those ivy league places and their wannabes. Can. Go right ahead on. As far from me as possible. Thanks and don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

Oh. Don't have a clue about the other Virginia schools. But EVMS is really cool. In my opinion.

I'm IS and interviewed at both VCU and EVMS and my experiences at both lead me to favor VCU. I preferred the idea of working with real patients rather than SPs during the beginning years of med school. I also was more impressed by the facilities, incorporation of technology and class schedule at VCU. Although EVMS is building a new "high tech" building I believe that the target date for completion was 2012 and that to start it would be used primarily by residents and fellows. As far as studying for the boards, VCU seems to have structured a system in which students meet with an advisor one-on-one and tailor a study plan for each individual students needs. :thumbup:

But......if I got into either school I would be ecstatic :)

I was impressed with VCU's approach to the big Step tests as well as their block course system.

These comments are interesting. I interviewed at both schools and got the impression that VCU was a better program. However, I thought EVMS would be more fun. I asked several EVMS students how they decided between the two schools and several responded, "I didn't get into VCU."

EVMS does very well on Step 1.. I heard rumors that behind UVA, EVMS was in second place for highest step 1 average..

Yeah it's not. UVA does have the highest step 1 in the commonwealth, VCU is second.

Sentara Norfolk General Hospital (EVMS) is also one of the best hospitals in the country... I believe even better than MCV hospital. Finally EVMS is in a great great great location. The same definetly cannot be said about VCU.

Strike 2

Actually MCV hospital is ranked higher in almost every regard than norfolk general. US news has ranked them by both score and reputation.

Endocrine- Norfolk gets a higher overall score, VCU has a better reputation score
ENT- VCU gets the higher score, neither is rated by reputation
Geriatrics- Norfolk gets the higher score and reputation
Gyn- Norfolk gets the higher score, VCU has the higher reputation
Heart- both are ranked, Norfolk higher overall but VCU has the higher reputation again
Digest- VCU has higher score and reputation score
Neuro- VCU has higher score and reputation
Cancer- VCU has higher score and reputation
Ortho- VCU has higher score and reputation
Psych- VCU has higher score and reputation
PM&R- VCU has higher score and reputation
Pulm.- VCU has the higher score and reputation score
Urology- Norfolk has a marginal better score with 20 vs VCUs 19. Neither has a reputation score

Tallying a point for either overall score or reputation- VCU 18 EVMS' 6.

Let's use US news' rankings system. Since research and peer review is the main component (70%) of the us news rankings, and since MCV blows EVMS out of the water in research (From the most recent NIH research data MCV ranks 56, EVMS ranks 120 (out of 127). The only schools ranked worse than EVMS are the brand new schools and 1 of the carribean LCME accredited schools. http://www.brimr.org/NIH_Awards/2008...dicine2008.xls)

Also by match list VCU clearly has a higher regard amongst its peers. So it is obvious MCV is ranked higher than EVMS. Furthermore, while the USnews rankings currently do not go beyond 60, a few years ago they did. MCV was ranked in the mid 60s then. EVMS was unranked.

As said before, I am interviewing at some of the elite programs in the country in IM. I have met 0 interviewees from EVMS on the trail, multiple from UVA and multiple from VCU. Granted N=1 but I would have expected more from EVMS were it in the same regard.

Let's look at match lists:
Match lists- MCV wins. Despite the larger class size (last match classes were ~170 vs ~100) MCV's match list is still much better.
MCV vs EVMS
Gas 20 vs 6
Rads 16 vs 5
Ortho 8 vs 0
Neurosurg 1 vs 0
Urology 4 vs 1
Derm 3 vs 2
Radonc 2 vs 2
ENT 1 vs 3

Now you might explain this away by saying a lot of people matched into good program in IM but since I am applying to IM and know the good program let me break it down for you. EVMS has 3 good IM matches (UVA. UNC, Pitt) VCU on the other hand had 8 (hopkins, UCLA, Pittx2, Mayo, Wake, Vandy, and oregon).

For peds- EVMS had 4 good matches- (St Christophres, Emory, Vandy and Yale). MCV had 12 (Yale, Hopkins x2, UCSF x2, UVA x2, Childrens in DC, Sinai, Inovax2 and St Christophers) The same disparity is seen when you compare the other "non-competitive" specialties.

a lot of people who got accepted to EVMS were also accepted to MCV, but chose EVMS.... and there are a lot of students who got accepted to MCV but not EVMS either being waitlisted or rejected... EVMS from all the things I heard needs a higher MCAT than MCV... in fact, a lot of students chose EVMS over many other prestigious schools.....

My experience is the exact opposite.

Regardless you will get a good educaiton either place. I just think MCV is a stronger school, which may serve you better when you are applying for residency.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.