COMPNW vs AT Still SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschoolplease123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you guys could provide some insight between COMP NW vs. AT Still SOMA, while both are good schools the SOMA interview is conditional since they have their seats already filled so I wonder if it's worth taking off work and going there to interview knowing the school is full... My list is as follows:

COMP NW pros:
-first acceptance (2,000 deposit paid)
-good establishment in the west coast (due to Pomona campus)
-good NON-competitive nature vibe
-in a quiet isolated area, away from distractions
-good research opportunities
-good residency programs/placements (other than Primary care)
-great board scores (especially step 2)
-cost of living+tuition would be 80K (and that's over compensating)

Cons:
-don't know how I feel about the streamed lectures
-cost of tuition is reasonable but cost of living (housing specifically is high) for such a rural school
-rural based so on those off weekends, not much to do in Lebanon
-harder to travel to campus coming from say Portland (1.5 hrs drive)

SOMA pros:
-virtual and reality anatomy lab
-1+3 curriculum, so if I get to go back home to IL or somewhere close, that would be awesome. Still not sure how that works, can someone elaborate?
-One of the most established schools due to KCOM's establishment in the 1800's I believe.
-Easy to travel from, from the Mesa airport like 20 min ride by super shuttle.
-Similar COL+tuition (around 80K).

Cons:
-Lets face it... Arizona is a desert
-I heard reptiles are pretty common in Arizona and I'm deathly afraid
-the conditional seat opportunity is not too enticing
-they heavily push primary care medicine which isn't that great since I would like the opportunity to pursue specialization if the chance arises.
-would loose out on the $2,000 deposit I paid for COMP-NW

Can anyone provide insight please? @AnatomyGrey12 @AlteredScale @Goro

Members don't see this ad.

From what I have heard, you have to travel all over AZ for rotations...don't know about shared rotation with sites in other states. I suggest COMP-NW > SOMA. I have a very good friend on faculty at the former as well. Great person and doctor.

From what I have heard, you have to travel all over AZ for rotations...don't know about shared rotation with sites in other states. I suggest COMP-NW > SOMA. I have a very good friend on faculty at the former as well. Great person and doctor.

I just like the idea of the 1+3 exposure. Hmmm I thought once you pick your CHC rotation site you stay there for the next 3 years, I might be mistaken. Ill look into it, thanks! I also like how I would be able to move back (at least for a year or so) to the Midwest.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are pretty equal. I personally would go to SOMA because of the small class size and for me AZ>OR. With the CHC model you would have the chance to return to IL as they still have a sight in Chicago I believe. Their rotations can be hit or miss however (honestly every school is this way though so I don't think Comp will be any better). SOMA does push PC pretty hard, at least administratively. I've talked to students from there and they said that even though they push PC they can't force you to do anything and the people who want to specialize have good success doing it.

In this situation just go where you feel the most comfortable. I would at least go to the interview because you never know.

They are pretty equal. I personally would go to SOMA because of the small class size and for me AZ>OR. With the CHC model you would have the chance to return to IL as they still have a sight in Chicago I believe. Their rotations can be hit or miss however (honestly every school is this way though so I don't think Comp will be any better). SOMA does push PC pretty hard, at least administratively. I've talked to students from there and they said that even though they push PC they can't force you to do anything and the people who want to specialize have good success doing it.

In this situation just go where you feel the most comfortable. I would at least go to the interview because you never know.

Gotcha gotcha, it's always tough when there isn't a clear "winner." But in regards to the CHC model, say if you pick Chicago or Seattle or wherever do you stay at that rotation site for the remainder of your years 2,3, and 4 or do you switch it up? Also, I'm looking to find the grading system for SOMA but haven't found it, do you happen to know?. I like the pass/fail/honors system for COMP NW...

I got accepted to both schools this cycle, and I ended up choosing ATSU SOMA. From talking to several current students, you would do your rotations at your designated CHC in years 2 and 3, with the exception of audition rotations (which you pick) during year 4. Despite ATSU SOMA pushing for PC, there have been several students who chose to specialize, and got matched appropriately with their chosen specialty.

What I really liked about ATSU SOMA was not only their curriculum (the 1+3 model), but also how students get to see patients as early as second year. I didn't like COMP NW's approach (you would see actual patients years 3 and 4). One of my friends goes to COMP NW, and she told me the pros and cons for that school.

I had similar pros and cons as you for both schools, but here are my $.02 combined with my friend's output:

CON for COMP-NW:
- More expensive than ATSU SOMA for tuition
- Rigorous curriculum during years 1-2; ATSU SOMA's curriculum allows for more board studying during year 2 (my friend goes to COMP NW and is worried about studying for the boards)
- Like you mentioned, it's 1.5 hours away from Portland. Not much to do in Lebanon
- There is a lottery system for where you do your rotations

CON for ATSU-SOMA:
- Class size diminishes after year 1; you and nine other people are at each CHC
- Rigorous curriculum during year 1 (starts in early July and finishes late June)
- It's going to be hot as hell
- You move after your first year

Good luck in your decision!

Reactions: 1 user
I got accepted to both schools this cycle, and I ended up choosing ATSU SOMA. From talking to several current students, you would do your rotations at your designated CHC in years 2 and 3, with the exception of audition rotations (which you pick) during year 4. Despite ATSU SOMA pushing for PC, there have been several students who chose to specialize, and got matched appropriately with their chosen specialty.

What I really liked about ATSU SOMA was not only their curriculum (the 1+3 model), but also how students get to see patients as early as second year. I didn't like COMP NW's approach (you would see actual patients years 3 and 4). One of my friends goes to COMP NW, and she told me the pros and cons for that school.

I had similar pros and cons as you for both schools, but here are my $.02 combined with my friend's output:

CON for COMP-NW:
- More expensive than ATSU SOMA for tuition
- Rigorous curriculum during years 1-2; ATSU SOMA's curriculum allows for more board studying during year 2 (my friend goes to COMP NW and is worried about studying for the boards)
- Like you mentioned, it's 1.5 hours away from Portland. Not much to do in Lebanon
- There is a lottery system for where you do your rotations

CON for ATSU-SOMA:
- Class size diminishes after year 1; you and nine other people are at each CHC
- Rigorous curriculum during year 1 (starts in early July and finishes late June)
- It's going to be hot as hell
- You move after your first year

Good luck in your decision!

Thanks for the input! How does the CHC site work, do we request or is it random? Lottery system? I'm trying to find the 2017 match list, but no luck for soma - do you have it? the COMP NW is pretty good in that it has lots of variety for the different specialities... don't know about soma though.

Thanks for the input! How does the CHC site work, do we request or is it random? Lottery system? I'm trying to find the 2017 match list, but no luck for soma - do you have it? the COMP NW is pretty good in that it has lots of variety for the different specialities... don't know about soma though.

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/attachments/soma-2017-match-results-pdf.217798/

Remember that SOMA actively recruits people they know are interested in PC, they also have a small class size. The COMP NW list is just part of the larger Western match list. They both contain a lot of PC. Don't pick either school based on what specialties are on its match list.

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/attachments/soma-2017-match-results-pdf.217798/

Remember that SOMA actively recruits people they know are interested in PC, they also have a small class size. The COMP NW list is just part of the larger Western match list. They both contain a lot of PC. Don't pick either school based on what specialties are on its match list.

yeah that's true. my criteria is 1. board scores 2. clinical exposure 3. activities to grow your resume (so research...)

You pick the CHC site depending what is available. I applied and interviewed early, so I was able to pick and get my top CHC. From the Facebook group page, it appears that some students are trying to trade as well. As for COMP-NW, it is a lottery system (from what my friend told me), but you can trade with other medical students if they are willing.

While the match lists will be informative, it does not suggest how YOU personally will do when it comes to matching. I had to personally learn that after reviewing both schools and deciding on which school to go to. Looking at COMP-NW's board scores, they appear to do better than ATSU SOMA with most sections of the COMLEX; however, ATSU SOMA isn't too far behind. I've personally met several SOMA students who got into their first choice residency, both PC and specialties. I think it depends on what your learning style is in the end, and what curriculum you prefer. Hope this helps. :)

You pick the CHC site depending what is available. I applied and interviewed early, so I was able to pick and get my top CHC. From the Facebook group page, it appears that some students are trying to trade as well. As for COMP-NW, it is a lottery system (from what my friend told me), but you can trade with other medical students if they are willing.

While the match lists will be informative, it does not suggest how YOU personally will do when it comes to matching. I had to personally learn that after reviewing both schools and deciding on which school to go to. Looking at COMP-NW's board scores, they appear to do better than ATSU SOMA with most sections of the COMLEX; however, ATSU SOMA isn't too far behind. I've personally met several SOMA students who got into their first choice residency, both PC and specialties. I think it depends on what your learning style is in the end, and what curriculum you prefer. Hope this helps. :)

in regards for year 2, so you see patient but when do you learn the material say embryo or genetics or renal or cardio systems. would it be streamed lectures online or is it based on small group acitivies or do they have professors at that specific chc site?

Did Goro just give a recommendation other than "Do you prefer the dessert heat or the winter snow" ?? loll

in regards for year 2, so you see patient but when do you learn the material say embryo or genetics or renal or cardio systems. would it be streamed lectures online or is it based on small group activities or do they have professors at that specific chc site?

From what I understand, you see patients one day during the week in clinic during your second year, but then you also have streamed lectures/podcasts. The physicians in your CHC will be invaluable in helping you learn the material as well. I'm not sure if they have specific professors at each site.

This was a sample schedule a current student provided me:

Monday: Exam day
Tuesday: Day off
Wednesday: OPP (8am-12pm) Med skills (time varies, typically about 1-2 hours)
Thursdays: Clinic day (8am-5pm)
Fridays: Small group case presentations (8am-12)

From what I understand, you see patients one day during the week in clinic during your second year, but then you also have streamed lectures/podcasts. The physicians in your CHC will be invaluable in helping you learn the material as well. I'm not sure if they have specific professors at each site.

This was a sample schedule a current student provided me:

Monday: Exam day
Tuesday: Day off
Wednesday: OPP (8am-12pm) Med skills (time varies, typically about 1-2 hours)
Thursdays: Clinic day (8am-5pm)
Fridays: Small group case presentations (8am-12)

So is the day off like an actual day off or is that when you do your lectures/podcasts? Not a big fan of podcasts - I'm a visual learner so that might be tricky for me, but adaptation is key. So i dont see any specific time for lectures in the schedule you gave, do students just have to find time to do that whenever they can?

I think your day off is to watch lectures/podcasts, study or prepare for the boards (which I like). I'm a visual learner too, but at COMP NW, you're also going to have streamed lectures, which many students don't like.

I believe so - this is a good question for current second years. :)

I think your day off is to watch lectures/podcasts, study or prepare for the boards (which I like). I'm a visual learner too, but at COMP NW, you're also going to have streamed lectures, which many students don't like.

I believe so - this is a good question for current second years. :)

But are the rotation sites at compnw better than soma? Because exposure is also key

COMPNW ORegon is beautifuler than AZ