2022-2023 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Post II - R. Kinda funny since I thought it was my best interview yet. Oh well, have acceptances elsewhere that I was planning on pursuing over this school anyways.
I'm sorry but glad you have other options! What was your interview date?

Members don't see this ad.

PSA ATSU-SOMA will not be sending any OMS-II to Brooklyn, New York effective immediately.

PSA ATSU-SOMA will not be sending any OMS-II to Brooklyn, New York effective immediately.
it is a shame, indeed. What is the school’s plan for incoming students who were headed to NY? Do we re-select our CHC? NY was my top choice and all the other sites are now full. This is a bad look for the school for sure— to not even notify those affected and for incoming students to learn about this through freaking SDN

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would assume it's the schools priority to find accommodations for the many students who are transitioning to OMS-II come June.

I would assume it's the schools priority to find accommodations for the many students who are transitioning to OMS-II come June.
Of course it’s the schools priority — they just screwed over like 20% of their current students and 20% of their incoming students and have no real concrete plan on how they are going to remedy the situation.

• Wow
Currently, SOMA has no idea how they will accommodate Both the Brooklyn CHC and Wichita Falls CHC. They currently have no clinical rotation sites or CHC sites, and are unwilling to open other CHC sites for students. This is very heartbreaking as many of them are trying to figure out how to transfer, as SOMA has no idea what they are doing. Quite frankly, I’m at a loss for words when discussing how much SOMA has disappointed the class of 2026.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
We are all at loss of words for the abandonment that the class of 2026 currently feels. Heartbreaking, disappointment, and just flat out wrong is an understatement. The class of 2026 deserve more than what SOMA has given to them. Time wasted can never ever be brought back but SOMA has the resources to financially compensate the class of 2026 for underdelivering the education they promised.

We are all at loss of words for the abandonment that the class of 2026 currently feels. Heartbreaking, disappointment, and just flat out wrong is an understatement. The class of 2026 deserve more than what SOMA has given to them. Time wasted can never ever be brought back but SOMA has the resources to financially compensate the class of 2026 for underdelivering the education they promised.
I thought things were improving with this school with professors being hired, office hours being a thing now, and students being issued lesson plans / guides to help them with their studies — but seems like the problems run a lot deeper. Will SOMA allow first years to transfer to other schools or are they holding affected students hostage in Mesa for their 2nd year without a game plan to set them up w a new chc? Alternatively, will soma reimburse?

Never received an II here but wow, such devastating news, hoping for nothing but the best for class of 26 and beyond

I thought things were improving with this school with professors being hired, office hours being a thing now, and students being issued lesson plans / guides to help them with their studies — but seems like the problems run a lot deeper. Will SOMA allow first years to transfer to other schools or are they holding affected students hostage in Mesa for their 2nd year without a game plan to set them up w a new chc? Alternatively, will soma reimburse?
From what we are hearing, there will be no tuition reimbursement.

Does anyone know what the plans will be for incoming students who were directly affected by the closure of both the Wichita Falls and Brooklyn CHC sites? Will they be deferred another year with first dibs on existing CHCs? A deferral would be problematic on many levels and the school should be reimbursing for this if they can’t provide a solution that doesn’t involve a deferral.

Does anyone know what the plans will be for incoming students who were directly affected by the closure of both the Wichita Falls and Brooklyn CHC sites? Will they be deferred another year with first dibs on existing CHCs? A deferral would be problematic on many levels and the school should be reimbursing for this if they can’t provide a solution that doesn’t involve a deferral.
They were told that they'd be staying in Mesa all ; years with no CHC at the current moment, but that there is a search for clinical shadowing opportunities that second year.

Members don't see this ad :)
They were told that they'd be staying in Mesa all ; years with no CHC at the current moment, but that there is a search for clinical shadowing opportunities that second year.
You mean current 1st year students are being told they'd stay in Mesa? OR are INCOMING students who were assigned to NY or TX who have yet to matriculate being told the same thing?

You mean current 1st year students are being told they'd stay in Mesa? OR are INCOMING students who were assigned to NY or TX who have yet to matriculate being told the same thing?
I'm not sure if this includes C/O '27, but that was all we were told

Anyone know if more interviews are coming out or are they done?

Anyone else still waiting for a decision over a month after interview?

Hey, I interviewed on 01/18 and received an Alternate seat on 03/01. Just posting here to stay updated with anyone in the same boat. Goodluck to all of you!

Placed on what appears to be the wait list today - Interviewed 1/24. Sort of disappointing I thought I really aligned with the school and their mission. Hopefully this isn’t the end!

I'm confused, I called and they said I'm on alternate list. They call back today and said decision is still pending and I'm not on alternate status - I'm actually not sure what's happening, anyone experience this?

Did you receive the email saying you’re on the alternate list?

Waitlisted! Crossing my fingers. Had a great conversation with the interviewers.

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Placed on what appears to be the wait list today - Interviewed 1/24. Sort of disappointing I thought I really aligned with the school and their mission. Hopefully this isn’t the end.

Congrats on the wait list! You probably do align but it’s a numbers game this late in the cycle. I would consider it outstanding getting on. Most seats were likely offered by Nov/Dec so you are at the mercy of previous offers forfeiting their hold money and going to another school to open up a seat. This is also probably why others are having such a wait to hear back post interview. Seats have to open. Good luck. 🤞

Last edited:
OMS-1 here! Good luck to everyone applying this cycle- I wish you the best regardless of where you end up :)

I just want to put it out there that while CBI does not work for everyone, there are many students that enjoy it. Definitely weigh your options and consider who you are as a learner. I personally really like SOMA and have had great experiences with classmates & faculty. Yes, there have been issues with the work-in-progress curriculum, but our new dean has really been trying her best to damage control the mess that was left for her.

I realize it's a bit late into the cycle but feel free to message me if you have any questions!

Reactions: 5 users
After reading this thread, decided to withdraw my acceptance. Absolute best of luck to the current students and prospective students. I wish you well. But I cant help feel relief that this is off my plate lol.

Withdrew my only acceptance since the Brooklyn campus closed and the school isn’t giving any new details on how they will accommodate those affected so they can still safely graduate on time or if they even will. Sucks to be back on the MCAT grind now and have to go through another application cycle but will continue to press on since becoming a doctor is my dream. Good luck to everyone else

Withdrew my only acceptance since the Brooklyn campus closed and the school isn’t giving any new details on how they will accommodate those affected so they can still safely graduate on time or if they even will. Sucks to be back on the MCAT grind now and have to go through another application cycle but will continue to press on since becoming a doctor is my dream. Good luck to everyone else
Dude, if it's your only acceptance, I would take it. Think about the amount of money you would lose if you forfeit a years salary as a physician. I get you might want to aim for a higher specialty and might feel ATSUSOMA might not set you up well for it, but matching is 90% up to the student. You got this!

Dude, if it's your only acceptance, I would take it. Think about the amount of money you would lose if you forfeit a years salary as a physician. I get you might want to aim for a higher specialty and might feel ATSUSOMA might not set you up well for it, but matching is 90% up to the student. You got this!
It's more complicated than that. I was told the school has no guaranteed plans to accommodate those affected by the brooklyn or Tx sites being shutdown--and that affected students will only be slotted into a new CHC / hospital for rotations if the existing CHCs and affiliate hospitals change their minds to take on additional students (currently they are not) -- this means that i may not even have a hospital to rotate at nor a CHC to attend. That's way too high a risk to accept.

It's more complicated than that. I was told the school has no guaranteed plans to accommodate those affected by the brooklyn or Tx sites being shutdown--and that affected students will only be slotted into a new CHC / hospital for rotations if the existing CHCs and affiliate hospitals change their minds to take on additional students (currently they are not) -- this means that i may not even have a hospital to rotate at nor a CHC to attend. That's way too high a risk to accept.
I feel you man and that's valid. But I am sure you will be able to rotate. They will have this stuff figured out before you finish your first year. Heck, they might even give students who chose those CHC sites first pick to new ones or something. But if you still think it's gonna be too rough, I respect your decision and wish you the best my dude.

OMS-1 here! Good luck to everyone applying this cycle- I wish you the best regardless of where you end up :)

I just want to put it out there that while CBI does not work for everyone, there are many students that enjoy it. Definitely weigh your options and consider who you are as a learner. I personally really like SOMA and have had great experiences with classmates & faculty. Yes, there have been issues with the work-in-progress curriculum, but our new dean has really been trying her best to damage control the mess that was left for her.

I realize it's a bit late into the cycle but feel free to message me if you have any questions!
Those select few that enjoy the case-based curriculum have no issues with the majority of their classmates failing an exam. Our stats before 15-20 Q's given back to us on the most recent cardiovascular exam averaged 55%. The neurology exam before winter break resulted in 1/3 of the class failing even after 19 Q's were given back and grades were adjusted, and roughly 14 people remediating the course. Make no mistake, this is a serious issue that MUST be addressed regardless of some doing better than average wanting no change. Those that like CBI like doing well and don't care if it hurts other people in the process. I have personally witnessed some the most brilliant people I have ever met question if becoming a physician is actually their calling after receiving 2 failing exam scores. We have had 3 students voluntarily withdraw, all in good academic standing after only 1 semester. I too, am here to answer any questions.

Last edited:

If it's your only acceptance I would think twice about withdrawing ... It's a gamble to retake the MCAT and reapply again delaying everything for at least another year. There's a chance you might do worse on the MCAT on top of having to answer yes to the question if you've ever been accepted to a medical school before.

I know it's messed up that they lost their sites in NY and Texas, but they will eventually find rotation spots for you at current existing sites or a potential new one. They'll spread out the students to different sites. You'll have to be okay with going to a random state which you may or may not like, but at least you'll be one step closer to becoming a physician. The different sites from what I hear are hit or miss in terms of quality, but I've been pretty happy with the training I've received so far.

Does the alternate list move at all?
Its moving now for sure due to all the declines of acceptance. ATSU SOMA is smart for accepting people for 2 cycles instead of one. Its like their contingency for lots of students withdrawing due to CHC sites knocked out over night, PBL shift, and who knows what more during these turbulent times there. Hopefully, they get squared away soon or else COCA might start getting involved.

Last edited:
Its moving now for sure due to all the declines of acceptance. ATSU SOMA is smart for accepting people for 2 cycles instead of one. Its like their contingency for their antics regarding the curriculum to always have bodies in classes
Oh that's surprising! I heard the APS seats were full too and they were going to accept all of them before they even got to alternates. That's why I'm concerned!

Oh that's surprising! I heard the APS seats were full too and they were going to accept all of them before they even got to alternates. That's why I'm concerned!
Well, when I applied, I got accepted for the 2024 cycle, but I can only chose the CHC site if I pay the deposit so in 2024. But then, I got bumped to the current cycle and was asked to make the deposit and chose CHC site now. I was considering going for Texas because I have extended family around there, but..... :(

That's ok, I always have my home state DO seat.

Last edited:
Those select few that enjoy the case-based curriculum have no issues with the majority of their classmates failing an exam. Our stats before 15-20 Q's given back to us on the most recent cardiovascular exam averaged 55%. The neurology exam before winter break resulted in 1/3 of the class failing even after 19 Q's were given back and grades were adjusted, and roughly 14 people remediating the course. Make no mistake, this is a serious issue that MUST be addressed regardless of some doing better than average wanting no change. Those that like CBI like doing well and don't care if it hurts other people in the process. I have personally witnessed some the most brilliant people I have ever met question if becoming a physician is actually their calling after receiving 2 failing exam scores. We have had 3 students voluntarily withdraw, all in good academic standing after only 1 semester. I too, am here to answer any questions.
Man, I feel so sad that's happening. Hang in there. But the people that are doing well with CBI are gonna give it their best shot on the exams as which is only natural. Are they actively fighting the consensus of the other students that CBI is bad? I get that ATSU SOMA wants students to adapt, but hopefully those students understand that such a sudden curriculum change is extremely difficult and is proving detrimental as evidenced by the scores you posted.

Last edited:
withdrew my A as well for i was impacted by the recent chc hit. i'll be attending elsewhere thankfully but i would also echo the sentiment above that if it is one's only acceptance, it should still be kept. the school is more established than the multiple new (DO) schools we have and well, i got the sense the rotations will happen (it has to for accrediation) but those impacted by this site loss will not have much say with regards to preferences of other sites.

Reactions: 2 users

I don't know how we came to the assumption that just because someone enjoys the curriculum it means anything about classmates failing an exam. I was mainly referring to liking CBI delivery in the group setting and working through a case. Exam structure def needs work.

I think we can both agree that there are some brilliant people in our class that will undoubtedly make great physicians and our scores don't reflect that in the slightest. I also agree that there are issues but I don't discount the fact that they are at least trying to fix things. Also, we have only had 1 true withdrawal; of the remaining two, one was for family issues and the other was because their family was located at a CHC site that closed (to which our dean personally pulled strings to help her transfer).

I personally choose to see that there is at least some hope to hold onto.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Got an A yesterday, I really want the San Ysidro location, does anyone know how competitive it is to get that location? Also really iffy on going here after all the bad stuff I have been hearing.

Got an A yesterday, I really want the San Ysidro location, does anyone know how competitive it is to get that location? Also really iffy on going here after all the bad stuff I have been hearing.
as you get the link to rank your sites, some of them will be noted with a "(Waitlist)" next to the site's name

Hi were u on the alternate list before or you got the A straight from ur interview?

No just straight from my interview!
That's awesome! Congratulations! They told us during our 01/18 interview that all seats were full and we basically interviewed for a waitlist position.