2021-2022 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is the APS list ranked? I have been on it since middle of December but have seen some people on it after me getting a full acceptance

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I received APS this past Feb., do you happen to know how many folks were deferred for the following year in your app cycle? Also, what month did you interview? I interviewed late Jan 2022. TIA
Have they ever made it to to the alternate or no if APS are getting deferred?

Is the APS list ranked? I have been on it since middle of December but have seen some people on it after me getting a full acceptance
Also did you respond to the email that asks you to respond with your full intent to attend if you are fully accepted? I missed that part too but after I responded saying I fully intend to attend, I got my full acceptance in about a week. Idk 🤷‍♀️ but I think it made a difference.

Also did you respond to the email that asks you to respond with your full intent to attend if you are fully accepted? I missed that part too but after I responded saying I fully intend to attend, I got my full acceptance in about a week. Idk 🤷‍♀️ but I think it made a difference.
I guess I missed that too. I actually got a call for a full acceptance today

Reactions: 1 user
Valerie Sheridan has stepped down as Dean as of today. She was only there for a whopping 11 months l o l

This was possibly due to multiple pending lawsuits against the school/her

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Valerie Sheridan has stepped down as Dean as of today. She was only there for a whopping 11 months l o l

Do we know if this is a good thing or bad thing? :O

Do we know if this is a good thing or bad thing? :O
No idea, I can tell you the previous dean was very unpopular.

The acting dean has been a part of ATSU for a long time and everyone speaks highly of her.

Pending lawsuits? Can you elaborate?

Hey everyone, I was accepted here a recently! Pretty interested in the program, but was wondering at what point in the process to do we select our preference for CHCs?

Hello Kiddos!

Reading through this thread I couldn't stay quiet about the school. If ATSU is your only acceptance then congratulations! You are well on your way to achieving your goals and dreams and you should be proud of that!

If you have other options though, I'd recommend seriously considering the other options. I've seen people mentioning that SOMA is well established and had a great match cycle (props to that class), but the underlying foundations of the school is very poor, morale is very low among students and faculty, and there is no stability. Professors have been leaving faster than they can hire, administrators as jumping ship as well. Sad to say but it's only been getting worse each year and seems like the trend is still downwards.

Again if this is your only option to becoming a physician then 100% take the acceptance and pursue your dreams. Just keep your head down and do not expect too much support from the school. You will have to be your own advocate and support yourself emotionally and academically. The school will treat you like a problem child otherwise.

P.S. Not a single student from the school has had a positive interaction with Dr. Coty. Even students from his past school of LECOM were happy to get rid of him. "He's your problem now" - LECOM student

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I was accepted here a recently! Pretty interested in the program, but was wondering at what point in the process to do we select our preference for CHCs?
When you put down your initial deposit is when you pick!

So we cant know what CHC is available until we have to pay a deposit?
If you use the link they give you to rank the CHCs & act like you’re gonna rank them it will show you which ones are full. Pretty much all are full at this point except a couple.

Sent an email to admissions and withdrew my seat here today. Good luck to you all!

Last edited:
withdrew seat. goodluck yall!

No, Santa Maria. San Ysidro was my number one tho. It is pretty booked though from what I was told
Do you know your waitlist position? They told me I was #4 back in the beginning of April. It is my number 1 too!

Do you know your waitlist position? They told me I was #4 back in the beginning of April. It is my number 1 too!
Number 5! I hope we both get it, do you know how big that CHC is?

Honestly have no idea! When did you find out you were #5? I was wondering how often I should be asking lol
I didn't ask they just told me! This was like a month ago

I got off the waitlist last week on the 25th, and withdrew the acceptance that same day.

Withdrew my A as well. I was assigned to the Renton, WA CHC.

Anyone know if there is any movement on transfer list or if they are still going through Acceptance pending waitlist.

Accepted off the regular WL (not APS) today. Declined it.

I was accepted off the Alternate list (not APS) today! I sent a letter of intent and an email of continued interest for those who may be in my position. 5 years in the making and I finally made it!

Was accepted off of the alternate list and chose to withdraw. Hope one of the seats goes to one of you guys! Good Luck!

Hi everyone! Accepted full seat today. How does this work if I haven't picked my CHC yet? The voice-mail says it was a full seat but doesn't mention anything about the CHCs, although I did get an email about the CHC overview. Who do I submit my CHC ranking to? I haven't received an acceptance email yet, just the call (and the voice-mail) from Admissions.
Additionally, is the PBL curriculum just for first year or also second year? Can any current PBL students talk about whether they like or dislike this curriculum?
hey congrats !, just curious how long did it take for you to get a full acceptance? Were you initially placed alternate list or accepted pending open seat?

I have been accepted to VCOM Louisiana and SOMA ATSU, I don't know which one should go with, does anyone have any recommendations please?

I have been accepted to VCOM Louisiana and SOMA ATSU, I don't know which one should go with, does anyone have any recommendations please?
What chc did you get? And what’s the tuition difference? The main issue w SOMA is the 100% PBL curriculum, having to move to your CHC after 1st year, and the quality (and location) of your CHC. If you’re not comfortable with the idea of paying 60+k for tuition to essentially teach yourself med school since it’s a PBL curriculum, then I’d go somewhere else. Also if you got a chc in the middle of nowhere, I’d also go somewhere else

What chc did you get? And what’s the tuition difference? The main issue w SOMA is the 100% PBL curriculum, having to move to your CHC after 1st year, and the quality (and location) of your CHC. If you’re not comfortable with the idea of paying 60+k for tuition to essentially teach yourself med school since it’s a PBL curriculum, then I’d go somewhere else. Also if you got a chc in the middle of nowhere, I’d also go somewhere else

Isn’t pbl learning based on a group based learning ? And also the comlex 1 pass scores were comparable with other schools

Isn’t pbl learning based on a group based learning ? And also the comlex 1 pass scores were comparable with other schools
you have to remember that this is the first year we are doing pbl so we have no data to show for it yet

I still haven’t ranked the sites yet just because I’m still hesitant to pay the $1000 deposit. I already paid VCOM Louisiana deposit because I had to. Is it worth paying the deposit and then make a decision based on the site I get?

I still haven’t ranked the sites yet just because I’m still hesitant to pay the $1000 deposit. I already paid VCOM Louisiana deposit because I had to. Is it worth paying the deposit and then make a decision based on the site I get?
Yeah 1k is nothing and there’s a good chance you’ll be able to get a better chc site as the application season progresses and people end up withdrawing their acceptances for other schools

Don’t pay the deposit. Go to VCOM. This institution is a mess and the curriculum is as well. Save yourself the future headaches and money.

Don’t pay the deposit. Go to VCOM. This institution is a mess and the curriculum is as well. Save yourself the future headaches and money.

Even though we don’t know if VCOM Louisiana gonna have a good matching since it’s still brand new?

Even though we don’t know if VCOM Louisiana gonna have a good matching since it’s still brand new?
I'd say pick soma. We still have pretty good match rate and it seems with all the changes that's happened in the last month or so it's been doing a lot better imo