2022-2023 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have experience being accepted off of the alternate list? I’m wondering when they start to pull from that pool.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have experience being accepted off of the alternate list? I’m wondering when they start to pull from that pool.
From what I’ve read in past forums, they generally start to pull from the alternate list in June/July after they’ve gone through all of the people who have acceptances pending open seats. It’s pretty unlikely to get off it but not impossible

Interview Invite just now! URM, low GPA with LOTS of grade repair and upward trend. Complete early August. :)

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think ATSU-SOMA's strong suits are highly dependent on quality of CHC. If you get a location like San Ysidro (san diego) or Mesa Arizona with Adelante Healthcare, you have the opportunity for strong clinical rotations in your 3rd year and 4th year. As for preclinical years, i guess we'll have to use a lot more 3rd party materials to prepare for comlex/STEP.
Hi - can you please share which CHCs are stronger vs others? Thanks!

I am having trouble finding ATSU-SOMA's COMLEX pass rate, can someone please post the link to it?

I’ve been talking to some current students here (all 2nd years and later) and they said they think the curriculum here is changing back to the traditional style. Can anyone verify that or have others heard the same thing? I haven’t talked to any first years cause I can’t find them haha

They have posted them for the past two years. There could be a few reasons for that. 1) they have been decreasing and don’t want to show that. 2) the person in charge of posting them has left that position and the new person hasn’t gotten around to it or doesn’t know it’s their responsibility. 3) some other reason I haven’t thought of.

Here are the previous years pass rates along with every other school. COMLEX Level 1 First Time Pass Rates - 2012-2016

They have posted them for the past two years. There could be a few reasons for that. 1) they have been decreasing and don’t want to show that. 2) the person in charge of posting them has left that position and the new person hasn’t gotten around to it or doesn’t know it’s their responsibility. 3) some other reason I haven’t thought of.

Here are the previous years pass rates along with every other school. COMLEX Level 1 First Time Pass Rates - 2012-2016
I thought schools were required to show their COMLEX pass rates. I guess I must have been wrong. But this is concerning, these numbers are important, and without them, I don't know how strong the school is academically.

If I sign the contract to go to SOMA is it possible at all to get out of it after May 1? I am on waitlists for other schools I really like but the chances of getting off the waitlist before May 1 are slim. I am just curious if it is possible to back out of it later…

Reactions: 1 user
If I sign the contract to go to SOMA is it possible at all to get out of it after May 1? I am on waitlists for other schools I really like but the chances of getting off the waitlist before May 1 are slim. I am just curious if it is possible to back out of it later…
I couldn’t find anything that states you are bound to the school, you just lose your deposit money. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I couldn’t find anything that states you are bound to the school, you just lose your deposit money. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
I thought this was the case too. You just lose your money, but it's not legally binding

Members don't see this ad :)
As others have said, the contract is not binding. I was in a similar situation last cycle & ending up going elsewhere.

I’ve been talking to some current students here (all 2nd years and later) and they said they think the curriculum here is changing back to the traditional style. Can anyone verify that or have others heard the same thing? I haven’t talked to any first years cause I can’t find them haha
Can someone confirm this? The 100% PBL curriculum (or lack thereof) is a complete game changer and major reason why some students would choose this school or not

Reactions: 1 users
Pre II R received, second one today 🥲

"Waitlisted" today, although with guaranteed spot for next cycle starting July 2024. Really quick turnaround as my interview was 11/29.

They said all spots are currently filled, but not all secured by deposit. Email says they'll keep interviewing candidates still.

LM 69, OOS

"Waitlisted" today, although with guaranteed spot for next cycle starting July 2024. Really quick turnaround as my interview was 11/29.

They said all spots are currently filled, but not all secured by deposit. Email says they'll keep interviewing candidates still.

LM 69, OOS

Were you placed on an alternate list? Or is it accepted pending open seat?

Does the guaranteed spot mean you'll have to re-apply or automatically given a seat to start at the end of next cycle?

Does the guaranteed spot mean you'll have to re-apply or automatically given a seat to start at the end of next cycle?
No need to reapply or interview. However, I think they would expect you to take a seat if offered this year.

Does anyone know the turn around for post interview decisions? They said 4-6 weeks but how true is that?
week and a half for me ... id say aim for under two weeks ...4 weeks is a long shot

From what I’ve read in past forums, they generally start to pull from the alternate list in June/July after they’ve gone through all of the people who have acceptances pending open seats. It’s pretty unlikely to get off it but not impossible
It's actually extremely likely. About 15% of my class were on the alternative list and got off during orientation week.

Can someone confirm this? The 100% PBL curriculum (or lack thereof) is a complete game changer and major reason why some students would choose this school or not
This is just a rumor/speculation. It will not go back to traditional, the dean emphasized this multiple times.

Hi - can you please share which CHCs are stronger vs others? Thanks!
Tucson is the best one, it has the most established CHC. Also heard many good things about Santa Maria and South Carolina. Be aware that the texas CHC shut down recently.

Is it expected to only submit the SOMA CHC ranking list after one is accepted? Or have people submitted it after their interview without an acceptance yet?

Is it expected to only submit the SOMA CHC ranking list after one is accepted? Or have people submitted it after their interview without an acceptance yet?
Submit after acceptance only

been complete since 10/12 havent heard anything- also just read up on the previous threads here and now am a little worried since this was on my top schools list.

Accepted like Dec 8th!!!!!!!!!! But pending seat. I know that if I don't start this cycle, I am automatically in the next one.....but do ya'll think I will get a seat in a few days when deposits are due? I also got the same acceptance status for WCUCOM in Hattiesburg Mississippi, my home state. Downside there is if I dont start, I have to reapply. From the start of this thread, it seems that school would be a better choice and also so I can stay close to home..... IDK, guess Ill go wherever a seat is given to me to start the following cycle

Accepted like Dec 8th!!!!!!!!!! But pending seat. I know that if I don't start this cycle, I am automatically in the next one.....but do ya'll think I will get a seat in a few days when deposits are due? I also got the same acceptance status for WCUCOM in Hattiesburg Mississippi, my home state. Downside there is if I dont start, I have to reapply. From the start of this thread, it seems that school would be a better choice and also so I can stay close to home..... IDK, guess Ill go wherever a seat is given to me to start the following cycle
Congrats ! I have been accepted to wcucom as well! what are your thoughts on wcu com. Vs Still soma?

I think ATSU-SOMA's strong suits are highly dependent on quality of CHC. If you get a location like San Ysidro (san diego) or Mesa Arizona with Adelante Healthcare, you have the opportunity for strong clinical rotations in your 3rd year and 4th year. As for preclinical years, i guess we'll have to use a lot more 3rd party materials to prepare for comlex/STEP.
Thank you. What are the stronger CHCs, in particular those that provide access/exposure to non-primary care specialties?

Congrats ! I have been accepted to wcucom as well! what are your thoughts on wcu com. Vs Still soma?
Personally, I think Mesa itself is a better town in terms of having a balanced life. Lots of outdoors stuff to do and the area is better. To me, this is incredibly important in how I do better academically, but Hattiesburg is close to family and I can continue to be part of their life's since they will be just an hour away vs 12 hours lol. That is also a way I can keep myself relaxed and at 100%. I do like ATSU's rotation site setup. But, to get a good one, earning good grades, applying to them early, and being on top of your stuff will allow you to get the best rotation sites whatever they may be. I do think WUCOM, they encourage you to pursue whatever specialty instead of focusing on primary care than ATSU, based on my interview experiences. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing because you would need research publications to pursue those higher residencies which means ATSU may not have them for all students or they may have hoops to get through to access them. But that's true for most DO schools. Personally, if I get a 2023 seat for WUCOM, then I would go there. But if not, I'll kick but at Mesa since my seat is secured either in 2023 or 2024. For WUCOM, even though I'm alternate list and technically accepted, if I don't get a 2023 seat, I gotta re apply. But based on the 2022 thread, all the alternate people eventually get a seat because they started accepting people off the deferred list and even started again interviewing throughout March to give out seats.

Personally, I think Mesa itself is a better town in terms of having a balanced life. Lots of outdoors stuff to do and the area is better. To me, this is incredibly important in how I do better academically, but Hattiesburg is close to family and I can continue to be part of their life's since they will be just an hour away vs 12 hours lol. That is also a way I can keep myself relaxed and at 100%. I do like ATSU's rotation site setup. But, to get a good one, earning good grades, applying to them early, and being on top of your stuff will allow you to get the best rotation sites whatever they may be. I do think WUCOM, they encourage you to pursue whatever specialty instead of focusing on primary care than ATSU, based on my interview experiences. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing because you would need research publications to pursue those higher residencies which means ATSU may not have them for all students or they may have hoops to get through to access them. But that's true for most DO schools. Personally, if I get a 2023 seat for WUCOM, then I would go there. But if not, I'll kick but at Mesa since my seat is secured either in 2023 or 2024. For WUCOM, even though I'm alternate list and technically accepted, if I don't get a 2023 seat, I gotta re apply. But based on the 2022 thread, all the alternate people eventually get a seat because they started accepting people off the deferred list and even started again interviewing throughout March to give out seats.
congrats on your atsu-soma acceptance, to clarify what you wrote, you actually select your CHC (ie rotation site) before matriculating. It’s a first come - first serve basis. As of now the class is already full, hence they are accepting students with the pending a seat opening condition. Generally, accepted students choose the most desirable cities to live in to do their CHC/clinical years—-so the CA sites, AZ ones, Chicago, Brooklyn NY, Portland, Renton (near Seattle) are the ones that typically get chosen first. Places like Scranton or the Ohio sites are less desirable, but they at least have cheaper cost of living. At the end of the day, your experience will largely be determined by what you put into it. Every sites has pros/cons and every site will at least provide you with the required rotations needed to graduate. Also a public health oriented research study is a requirement in 2nd year at atsu for all students

What are the chances of getting the CHC of your choice if you were been accepted pending open seat in mid-November?

congrats on your atsu-soma acceptance, to clarify what you wrote, you actually select your CHC (ie rotation site) before matriculating. It’s a first come - first serve basis. As of now the class is already full, hence they are accepting students with the pending a seat opening condition. Generally, accepted students choose the most desirable cities to live in to do their CHC/clinical years—-so the CA sites, AZ ones, Chicago, Brooklyn NY, Portland, Renton (near Seattle) are the ones that typically get chosen first. Places like Scranton or the Ohio sites are less desirable, but they at least have cheaper cost of living. At the end of the day, your experience will largely be determined by what you put into it. Every sites has pros/cons and every site will at least provide you with the required rotations needed to graduate. Also a public health oriented research study is a requirement in 2nd year at atsu for all students
Thanks for the clarification! I just got off the waitlist for WCUCOM and have a full acceptance. I got some real reflecting to do on where I wanna go and if I chose ATSU, which rotation sites is good lol.

Interviewed 12/7 got the call 12/14 for an outright acceptance! Best of luck everyone, you got this!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the clarification! I just got off the waitlist for WCUCOM and have a full acceptance. I got some real reflecting to do on where I wanna go and if I chose ATSU, which rotation sites is good lol.
What are your ATSU rotation site options at this point?