Cornell c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I might not be able to go on the 10th because of the storm. :/ Anyone else experiencing difficulties with their upcoming flights to Ithaca?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an alternate candidate and although I filed my FAFSA mid-December I just did everything else on the page last night because my life's been a mess. Here's to hoping it all goes through on time

Hi! For those of you that already attended information sessions, how was everyone dressed? I know it's not an interview, but I don't want to be underdressed if I'm in casual clothes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
so i was waitlisted, and someone may have already asked/answered this, but what are people wearing to the info sessions? i'm assuming not as formal as an interview (i've already decided i'm not wearing a suit)

(i also just saw this was asked 2 posts above, haha)

Hi! For those of you that already attended information sessions, how was everyone dressed? I know it's not an interview, but I don't want to be underdressed if I'm in casual clothes.
so i was waitlisted, and someone may have already asked/answered this, but what are people wearing to the info sessions? i'm assuming not as formal as an interview (i've already decided i'm not wearing a suit)

(i also just saw this was asked 2 posts above, haha)
I was surprised as most students wore pretty casual clothes. I was probably on the dressier side--business casual. Yeah, I may have felt a little overdressed. I hear that there is always a range. I would definitely have felt uncomfortable in a suit.

I'm going to end up looking pretty casual next week. We're living out of suitcases until mid March.

feeling fairly hopeless on the waitlist. I just want to know where I am!

Are you admitted to other schools or had other interviews?
I don't want to sound negative, but for now I am planning as if I will be rejected by Cornell (I am also waitlisted). I met Cornell alternatives on almost every interview I went to so I got the feeling that they have a long wait list. We probably won't hear until April anyways.

I don't want to sound negative, but for now I am planning as if I will be rejected by Cornell (I am also waitlisted). I met Cornell alternatives on almost every interview I went to so I got the feeling that they have a long wait list. We probably won't hear until April anyways

Last edited:
What did you guys think of the campus when you visited for the info sessions? I'm going to the one this Friday- who else will be there?

I'll be there this weekend. Last time I visited the campus was in 2013 so I'm excited to see all that's changed.

Are there any current students willing to talk about their acclimation process to PBL? Students talked about it at the information day, but I'm still unsure so just hearing more opinions helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't want to sound negative, but for now I am planning as if I will be rejected by Cornell (I am also waitlisted). I met Cornell alternatives on almost every interview I went to so I got the feeling that they have a long wait list. We probably won't hear until April anyways.
I've been accepted everywhere else I applied so far (haven't heard back from Tufts yet!). I just want to be able to consider Cornell as a viable option!!

I've been accepted everywhere else I applied so far (haven't heard back from Tufts yet!). I just want to be able to consider Cornell as a viable option!!
Wow congratulations, that's amazing!
I know how it feels! I try to focus on other things and hopefully make the waiting less painful

feeling fairly hopeless on the waitlist. I just want to know where I am!

I know it's a tough situation to be in. Believe me, I was there three years ago. Several days after I sent my deposit into another school and the official deadline had passed, I got the phone call saying I'd been pulled off the waitlist. Even then, I needed a day to think about my plans doing a complete 180. Keep your chin up. Transferring is always an option if you're unhappy with your first pick. Many of my classmates were also alternates. One was even accepted late June or early July. I'm not sure how they're structuring the waitlist this year with the increased class size but be psyched if it happens and if it doesn't, be psyched you're going somewhere. There are a lot of really great programs.

Are there any current students willing to talk about their acclimation process to PBL? Students talked about it at the information day, but I'm still unsure so just hearing more opinions helps!

Hi! I'm a current third year. I personally had a love-hate relationship with PBL. Going into clinics in March and out onto externships, I'm so happy I've had it. My block 1 PBL experience was rough but I didn't transition well to vet school. That being said, I came home for Thanksgiving first year and my mom, who's a small animal veterinarian (not a Cornell grad) and was thrilled. She couldn't believe how fluent I was in the language and the concepts I was being exposed to as a first year. I showed her all my cases and she loved how they choose cases of things that we will actually see, not these esoteric tricky cases you only see in academia. Yes, it's overwhelming at first. Yes, it's not how everyone studies. Yes, it's difficult to stand up in front of 8 of your peers, who are also mostly type A, and have your work critiqued. I loved it in the physiology and pharmacology section, block 3. It makes SO MUCH SENSE! Your real patient isn't just a liver, or just a clotting disorder. I love how we're taught from day 1 how to think of a patient as a whole. I also love how we're taught to think like clinicians. Making problems lists and explaining which diagnostic tests you want to do and why are what you'll be doing as a veterinarian. And we do them day 1 year 1. PBL is also such a great way to interact with the faculty. They get to know you and you them. Most are DVMs (vs just PhDs - though some of them make the BEST tutors). I know several other schools offer PBL with outside veterinarians. Our faculty tutors go through training and a learning year with another more experienced tutor. They meet once a week to discuss common problem areas, students that might be having trouble, and general how tutor groups are going. They have a list of learning objectives and concepts to cover so that each group gets the same information. The four main block 1 faculty also sit in on all your lectures! That provides a really great cohesiveness to the program that I think lacks at other schools. Hopefully that helps! Let me know if you have more questions!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi! I'm a current third year. I personally had a love-hate relationship with PBL. Going into clinics in March and out onto externships, I'm so happy I've had it. My block 1 PBL experience was rough but I didn't transition well to vet school. That being said, I came home for Thanksgiving first year and my mom, who's a small animal veterinarian (not a Cornell grad) and was thrilled. She couldn't believe how fluent I was in the language and the concepts I was being exposed to as a first year. I showed her all my cases and she loved how they choose cases of things that we will actually see, not these esoteric tricky cases you only see in academia. Yes, it's overwhelming at first. Yes, it's not how everyone studies. Yes, it's difficult to stand up in front of 8 of your peers, who are also mostly type A, and have your work critiqued. I loved it in the physiology and pharmacology section, block 3. It makes SO MUCH SENSE! Your real patient isn't just a liver, or just a clotting disorder. I love how we're taught from day 1 how to think of a patient as a whole. I also love how we're taught to think like clinicians. Making problems lists and explaining which diagnostic tests you want to do and why are what you'll be doing as a veterinarian. And we do them day 1 year 1. PBL is also such a great way to interact with the faculty. They get to know you and you them. Most are DVMs (vs just PhDs - though some of them make the BEST tutors). I know several other schools offer PBL with outside veterinarians. Our faculty tutors go through training and a learning year with another more experienced tutor. They meet once a week to discuss common problem areas, students that might be having trouble, and general how tutor groups are going. They have a list of learning objectives and concepts to cover so that each group gets the same information. The four main block 1 faculty also sit in on all your lectures! That provides a really great cohesiveness to the program that I think lacks at other schools. Hopefully that helps! Let me know if you have more questions!
Thank you for explaining it! I've gotten a much better feel of it and can't wait to see it in action! ^_^

I've decided to go with Cornell, and I'll actually be moving into an apartment there on Wednesday with my two little dogs. Husband's military stuff worked out best if I just went ahead and he went unaccompanied to his boat. If anyone is looking for a room through the summer or later on feel free to PM me for info. It's a 3/2 but the third bedroom would be a lot better as a study.

Reactions: 4 users
I just took myself off the waitlist as I'll be going to my in-state. Good luck to the rest of you! I hope the waitlist moves :)

Reactions: 7 users
Just wanted to say Hi one more time! Healthcare recruiter for the Army that works with the veterinary corps health professional scholarship program. If anyone is interested I have a veterinarian at Fort Drum, NY that went through the program (purdue) and would be glad to talk to you about what it is like being a veterinarian in the Army. Let me know if your interested and I always do a info session with the new students at the beginning of the year so make sure you come say hi and that you saw me on SDN!

Does anyone know (approx.) when we'll receive our fin aid package by? I know it's before the April national deposit deadline, but I couldn't pinpoint an exact date. I don't know why I have March 15th in my head.

Does anyone know (approx.) when we'll receive our fin aid package by? I know it's before the April national deposit deadline, but I couldn't pinpoint an exact date. I don't know why I have March 15th in my head.
At the info session I went to they said if you submitted your paperwork before Feb. 1st were supposed to hear back on Mar.15th.

I talked to them last week, they said the 15th (so tomorrow)

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone just a tad bit nervous for their financial aid packet? Maybe it's just me.

Is anyone just a tad bit nervous for their financial aid packet? Maybe it's just me.

I'm nervous too. #OOSProblems.

I'm still waiting for something to just blow up in my face and keep me from attending, haha. Family finances and my college education never got along well (for a million strange/ stupid reasons). I'm turning into a wicked fiend and applying to ALL the external scholarships that I possibly can to help me out. So that's cool I guess. Did you know rent-a-car has a scholarship if you rent one of their cars? I didn't. Until now.

I'm in contact with current Cornell students and they're like "omg, chill". But I can't! This gap year has been so mentally exhausting. I just want to join a FB group, look for apartments, and get on with everything!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm nervous too. #OOSProblems.

I'm still waiting for something to just blow up in my face and keep me from attending, haha. Family finances and my college education never got along well (for a million strange/ stupid reasons). I'm turning into a wicked fiend and applying to ALL the external scholarships that I possibly can to help me out. So that's cool I guess. Did you know rent-a-car has a scholarship if you rent one of their cars? I didn't. Until now.

I'm in contact with current Cornell students and they're like "omg, chill". But I can't! This gap year has been so mentally exhausting. I just want to join a FB group, look for apartments, and get on with everything!
I started looking into external scholarships tonight and I had to sit down and watch something mindless (spongebob) because the anxiety was real. Im sort of relieved that I'm not alone but I would much rather neither of us worry. But alas, unless the lottery is won then that will not be the case.

And I didn't know rent-a-car had a scholarship! Unfortunately for me... I own a car that ive worked my a** off to pay in full so no renting for me.

I like the advice the current students are giving you. I will try to take their advice as well. I'm just politely waiting for the listserv to go up and FB groups to be made to start my housing search. But the consensus is that housing is easy to find amongst the vet students which is the only thing keeping me from stalking all possible housing options in all of Ithaca.

But do try to relax, I know I know its harder said than done but just think about it.

The university is closed until late this afternoon due to the winter storm and the ton of snow so hopefully financial aid will still come out but it may end up being delayed.

The university is closed until late this afternoon due to the winter storm and the ton of snow so hopefully financial aid will still come out but it may end up being delayed.

Thank you for the update! I'm over here refreshing my email every two seconds. At least now I can relax for a while

They were planning to open at noon but with over a foot of snow in a lot of places and the roads still being cleared it got delayed more this morning.

They were planning to open at noon but with over a foot of snow in a lot of places and the roads still being cleared it got delayed more this morning.
So I didn't get anything. I figured they're still closed due to the storm?

So I didn't get anything. I figured they're still closed due to the storm?
Yep, Cornell was officially closed until 4:30pm. We'll probably get our aid packages tomorrow.

I started looking into external scholarships tonight and I had to sit down and watch something mindless (spongebob) because the anxiety was real. Im sort of relieved that I'm not alone but I would much rather neither of us worry. But alas, unless the lottery is won then that will not be the case.

And I didn't know rent-a-car had a scholarship! Unfortunately for me... I own a car that ive worked my a** off to pay in full so no renting for me.

I like the advice the current students are giving you. I will try to take their advice as well. I'm just politely waiting for the listserv to go up and FB groups to be made to start my housing search. But the consensus is that housing is easy to find amongst the vet students which is the only thing keeping me from stalking all possible housing options in all of Ithaca.

But do try to relax, I know I know its harder said than done but just think about it.

Anytime you all want to start your class fb page have at it! You don't have to wait for upperclassmen to start it. Admin doesn't. Your listserv won't go live until next month but I will echo my classmates about relaxing. Use these last 5 months to really take a breath because August through beginning of November will be some of the most intense months academically you've probably ever had. As for housing - you will be bombarded with housing options, especially if you've already committed. Living with older students is great. I didn't and wished I had. Or if you want to be a house of all first years, that's cool too. And yes, we're currently buried under 2' of snow and enjoyed our second snow day in a 150 years. Your financial aid packages might be little late.

As a aside on finances, a number of students - myself included - become drug or food company reps. We make $1000-$2000 per year. It's one way of making some of extra cash during school. Those positions don't generally go out until the spring but it's something to keep an eye out for.

Reactions: 1 users
Anytime you all want to start your class fb page have at it! You don't have to wait for upperclassmen to start it. Admin doesn't. Your listserv won't go live until next month but I will echo my classmates about relaxing. Use these last 5 months to really take a breath because August through beginning of November will be some of the most intense months academically you've probably ever had. As for housing - you will be bombarded with housing options, especially if you've already committed. Living with older students is great. I didn't and wished I had. Or if you want to be a house of all first years, that's cool too. And yes, we're currently buried under 2' of snow and enjoyed our second snow day in a 150 years. Your financial aid packages might be little late.

As a aside on finances, a number of students - myself included - become drug or food company reps. We make $1000-$2000 per year. It's one way of making some of extra cash during school. Those positions don't generally go out until the spring but it's something to keep an eye out for.

I took your advice and started the page!!

Attn: This is the facebook link to the Class of 2021 FB page! Please share the link if necessary so all c/o 2021'ers are able to join!! Also, if you search "Cornell Vet Med Class of 2021" you should find it! (Im sorry it is such a lengthy name but I didnt want to be too vague).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1944452125786705/

Reactions: 1 users
The fin aid letters are out! And gee... those loan numbers have me sweating. Lol

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know if the College Scholarships are guaranteed all 4 years? If so Cornell is significantly less than all other schools I'm in (though it costs about the same as my instate even without a scholarship)

Anyone know if the College Scholarships are guaranteed all 4 years? If so Cornell is significantly less than all other schools I'm in (though it costs about the same as my instate even without a scholarship)

Based on what they said in the information session, the scholarships aren't guaranteed all four years. Each year you'll receive a new financial aid package and the scholarships are given out based on estimated parental contribution

Most students end up keeping theirs for all four years as far as I know. Not all the scholarships are based on parental income. If you receive a scholarship, writing a thank you note to the donor/family helps ensure you keep it. They've pulled scholarships from students for not adequately thanking donors.

Got a call today about being taken off the waitlist. declined my spot so good luck !

If you receive a scholarship, writing a thank you note to the donor/family helps ensure you keep it.
Will details be sent out about a format or when or where to submit the thank you note? Or do we just write a general thank you and send it to the office of fin aid on our own initiative?

Hi everyone! I'm a long time lurker, but to those tracking waitlists-- IS resident taken off the waitlist yesterday (4/17/17). I have accepted my offer and I can't wait to meet you all in the Fall! :D

I was called for a spot off of the waitlist today (OOS)! Still thinking about it as I have committed to my IS (OSU). Heads up for the other alternates- they give you two days to accept/decline the offer if you wish to consider.

I've been staring at my phone for the past couple days hoping for a call! I wish I knew where I was on the list (OOS) or how many people they've called off already or how many days they take to pull most people off the wait list. Really any information would be helpful. Zandn, I would be happy to take your spot if you decide to stick with OSU :p

I was called off the OOS waitlist on Saturday but declined my spot on Monday. Not sure how quick the turn around is though for you teddypants!

I've been jumping at every alert on my phone, hoping it'll be a call from them. I got accepted to one other school and committed there, but Cornell is my number one choice by far so there's no way I'd turn it down if I got in soon enough

I was called for a spot off of the waitlist today (OOS)! Still thinking about it as I have committed to my IS (OSU). Heads up for the other alternates- they give you two days to accept/decline the offer if you wish to consider.
they called me the other week and i declined for OSU. It was mostlydue to not really liking the PBL system though

they called me the other week and i declined for OSU. It was mostlydue to not really liking the PBL system though
I'm really struggling with deciding between the two. I thought I liked PBL a lot at first and felt it matched my learning style really well, but I've since heard a lot of negative things about PBL that make me question whether it would be a good fit or not.

Hi everybody! Congratulations on your acceptances to such an incredible school! If anyone is interested in sending their application statistics to my email, I would 100% greatly appreciate it!!! Cornell is my dream school and I would love to have a bit more guidance on how to strengthen my application. Thank you so much!! Email: [email protected]

Hi everybody! Congratulations on your acceptances to such an incredible school! If anyone is interested in sending their application statistics to my email, I would 100% greatly appreciate it!!! Cornell is my dream school and I would love to have a bit more guidance on how to strengthen my application. Thank you so much!! Email: [email protected]
There's a sticky thread called "What are my chances?". Here is the link: What are my chances?. People there are great with giving feedback. Just specify which schools you are interested. Just a thought. I would email you my stats but I don't like putting my information out there. Other than having top grades and high GRE scores, I was (am!) really well-rounded, have a diverse background, and have participated in a wide array of activities (not just vet med). I am not sure if this is something they looked at, but I think it definitely set me apart. One of the things I appreciated about Cornell was that they really seemed to look at the whole applicant rather than just scores. You can use your essays to set you apart as well. But check out that thread :).