Cornell c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Long-time lurker, finally decided to hop in. I'm actually wrapping up my applications right before the deadline, so I'll happy when it's all done and everything is submitted.

Currently a student at Cornell, still unsure whether or not I'd be okay with four more years of Ithaca...
What don't you like about Ithaca?

Members don't see this ad.

How long did it take for anything to pop up on your tracking page? I got verified today, but there is absolutely nothing on my page..

[edited] soo I just reread my emails from them and it says it might take a few days after being verified because the data are entered manually crisis averted haha

It took a day or two for the vmcas verification and gre scores to pop up on the tracking page, and then another few days after that for the required courses to be verified on there.

What don't you like about Ithaca?
There's nothing wrong with the town or anything like that, it just feels emptier compared to a place like Boston (where I'm from). That being said, the people are very nice and while the food around Collegetown is fairly average, there are some great restaurants once you get down to the commons.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There's nothing wrong with the town or anything like that, it just feels emptier compared to a place like Boston (where I'm from). That being said, the people are very nice and while the food around Collegetown is fairly average, there are some great restaurants once you get down to the commons.

How big is Ithaca?

How big is Ithaca?
About the size of a small town, really. You could probably walk from one end to the other in about two hours. But if you ever needed something, there is a huge shopping area about 15 minutes drive off campus.

About the size of a small town, really. You could probably walk from one end to the other in about two hours. But if you ever needed something, there is a huge shopping area about 15 minutes drive off campus.
My kind of place:)

For anyone that didn't know already, Cornell Vet is expanding its class size by ~20 seats from previous years for this application cycle due to the additional facilities they're adding from the ongoing construction.

Source: Recent admissions presentation.

Reactions: 2 users
For anyone that didn't know already, Cornell Vet is expanding its class size by ~20 seats from previous years for this application cycle due to the additional facilities they're adding from the ongoing construction.

What kind if facilities are they adding?

Thanks for the info...cool

Hello all! :)

My name is Ashley and I am from Illinois, I'm excited about applying to Cornell this cycle! I can't wait to meet each of you and best of luck to all :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the dean's certification on the tracking page? It says it's due in March - but should I have done something about it already?

It's a form your deans office needs to fill out. I talked to the admissions person who said don't worry about it until you find out if you are accepted or not

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

It's a form your deans office needs to fill out. I talked to the admissions person who said don't worry about it until you find out if you are accepted or not

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Ah okay thanks!!

Anyone out there apply to the dual degree program (DVM/PhD)?

Anyone out there apply to the dual degree program (DVM/PhD)?

I am! I already have master's degree and applying for the dual degree program.
I am not very positive about my PhD application though...

I think they're building new lecture & tutor rooms, as well as updating some labs. I don't believe there will be any new medical facilities. Just space for more students and events, things like that.

https://www2.vet.cornell.edu/about-us/construction-project

There will be 120 seats in the next class! They finished new tutor rooms over the summer, so you'll see them if you come to a tour, and the gross lab was also redone. The rooms where you'll have clinical skills labs and hands-on work with live animals were also renovated and are beautiful now, with big flat screen TVs along the walls so the clinicians can project what they're doing (no more huddling around someone doing a demonstration!). The lecture halls are under construction but I believe they're scheduled to be open Fall 2017. New library and modular resource center are under construction and presumably there's a new cafeteria being built /somewhere/, we currently don't have a real one anymore because of the construction :( I think by Fall 2017 most of the construction will be done, which is lucky for you guys :)

I am! I already have master's degree and applying for the dual degree program.
I am not very positive about my PhD application though...

Me neither. :unsure: I tried to look for some successful applicant stats here on SDN, but only came up with people who had literally thousands and thousands of hours more experience than me. Disheartening, to say the least... would you reapply after first year of vet school if rejected and accepted to the Cornell program? Do you know if your chances improve if you apply with some vet school under your belt?

Me neither. :unsure: I tried to look for some successful applicant stats here on SDN, but only came up with people who had literally thousands and thousands of hours more experience than me. Disheartening, to say the least... would you reapply after first year of vet school if rejected and accepted to the Cornell program? Do you know if your chances improve if you apply with some vet school under your belt?

I don't know for sure, but I think it has a lot to do with how your undergraduate academics are (including GRE) and then how do academically during your first year of vet school.

I do have master's degree and did undergrad research (and thus a few thousands hours animal related research and 2 publications), but I am very specific about the type of research I want to do and I don't know if cornell even offers that type of research in the dual degree program. I will make sure to post my experience if I were successful..
This is my first time applying so sorry I really don't know much about the chances for reapplying applicants. I am also applying for other schools, so I probably won't reapply to cornell if I could be admitted to somewhere else.
Let's just hope for the best! I know that even if we are not selected for the dual program, our applications will still be put into the DVM pool and reviewed again for the DVM (only) program. And if you are admitted to the DVM program and still wanted to do a PhD later, you could always apply again :)

I know this is a little random -- and probably a bit premature since it is only November -- but does anyone have any idea when Cornell will start to get back about application decisions? I know their timeline says the beginning of Jan., but I din't know if there was a more concrete date than that haha

I know this is a little random -- and probably a bit premature since it is only November -- but does anyone have any idea when Cornell will start to get back about application decisions? I know their timeline says the beginning of Jan., but I din't know if there was a more concrete date than that haha

Last year, acceptances were on the first Monday in January and rejections/alternates were the first Wednesday.

Last year, acceptances were on the first Monday in January and rejections/alternates were the first Wednesday.

This is true, but this year the first Monday falls on January 2nd, so I'm wondering if their offices will still be closed and the calls postponed (they call accepted students on the first Monday). Also, with the larger class size this year (they've bumped it to 120 seats), and with only one person (from what I've heard) making the phone calls, I'm wondering if the tradition will be axed altogether, or if the calls will be staggered over a couple of days. No way to know for sure, just speculating :)

Last edited:
Update: I found that January 2nd will be a Cornell staff holiday. Not sure if this applies to the vet school, but it was from the university-wide HR page.

So I suppose it's a bit of a mystery this year!

This is true, but this year the first Monday falls on January 2nd, so I'm wondering if their offices will still be closed and the calls postponed (they call accepted students on the first Monday). Also, with the larger class size this year (they've bumped it to 120 seats), and with only one person (from what I've heard) making the phone calls, I'm wondering if the tradition will be axed altogether, or if the calls will be staggered over a couple of days. No way to know for sure, just speculating :)

It isn't just one person making the calls - vet school faculty can request students to call if they happen to know them, and otherwise there's a bunch of people that divide up the calls. Also, a couple years ago they called a bunch of people before noon and then took a break for lunch, giving lots of people who hadn't been called yet heart attacks in the process, and then resumed after lunch.

It isn't just one person making the calls - vet school faculty can request students to call if they happen to know them, and otherwise there's a bunch of people that divide up the calls. Also, a couple years ago they called a bunch of people before noon and then took a break for lunch, giving lots of people who hadn't been called yet heart attacks in the process, and then resumed after lunch.
Gotcha! I heard from a professor earlier this semester that the director of admissions was the only one making the calls now, but maybe he was wrong!

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

Hey everyone I applied and was accepted to Cornell this past cycle and will be starting there in the fall, so if you have any questions about it feel free to ask or PM me! :)

Hi! IS applicant here, would you mind sharing your stats? Not entirely sure how to PM on here or I would have done that

Sure I'll PM you when I get home in a bit!

Do you mind doing the same for me too? haha I am kinda unsure about how my stats compare to what they are looking for in an applicant...

Cornell doesn't post average stats from previous classes anywhere, do they?

I visited in October and if I remember correctly their GRE stats were 162 V and 159 Q. Not sure if that's admitted or matriculated data but I remember it being really high.

I visited in October and if I remember correctly their GRE stats were 162 V and 159 Q. Not sure if that's admitted or matriculated data but I remember it being really high.

Yes. They claim that verbal scores are most indicative of success in their program.

:shrug:

Yes. They claim that verbal scores are most indicative of success in their program.

:shrug:
So value the verbal score more than the quant? I think it's so interesting how all he schools value different things...are they a pretty numbers based school when they look at applicants or do they look at the big picture (just based on what you know)?

This is their admissions formula according to their website (and also what they mention during their admissions presentation)
Cornell's DVM Admissions Formula
  • 25% - Overall GPA
  • 25% - GRE (verbal and quantitative) or MCAT
  • 5% - Quality of Academic Program
  • 20% - Animal/Veterinary/Biomedical Experience (supported with letters of evaluation)
  • 10% - Non-Cognitive Skills
  • 10% - All Other Achievements and Letters of Evaluation
  • 5% - Personal Statement

So value the verbal score more than the quant? I think it's so interesting how all he schools value different things...are they a pretty numbers based school when they look at applicants or do they look at the big picture (just based on what you know)?

Supposedly they look at the big picture, but in truth they are largely numbers based.

This is their admissions formula according to their website (and also what they mention during their admissions presentation)
Cornell's DVM Admissions Formula
  • 25% - Overall GPA
  • 25% - GRE (verbal and quantitative) or MCAT
  • 5% - Quality of Academic Program
  • 20% - Animal/Veterinary/Biomedical Experience (supported with letters of evaluation)
  • 10% - Non-Cognitive Skills
  • 10% - All Other Achievements and Letters of Evaluation
  • 5% - Personal Statement
How do you all think the quality of an academic program is assessed?

Nope. They share average GPA (it's about 3.7) and GRE scores at admissions presentations, but that's about it!

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile
Hi! Have you actually been to a presentation? Do you know if that 3.7 was for IS or OOS? And do you know what GRE scores they averaged? Thanks!

right, but how do they judge the school?
My guess would be looking at a community college vs a college or university. Maybe if they have students from the school already so they are familiar with the rigor of the program. Maybe if they have graduates from their vet school that teach at the school. Maybe if it's a land-grant university or big research institution.

right, but how do they judge the school?

The director of admissions talked a little about this during one of their presentations. IIRC, they use some sort of online database that ranks schools in terms of difficulty to get into and some other factors in order to come up with that quantification.

The director of admissions talked a little about this during one of their presentations. IIRC, they use some sort of online database that ranks schools in terms of difficulty to get into and some other factors in order to come up with that quantification.

I'd say this is the most accurate response to the initial question.

Would a student who was accepted to Cornell mind PMing me what their stats are? I cannot stop worrying about what my chances are of getting in!

Would a student who was accepted to Cornell mind PMing me what their stats are? I cannot stop worrying about what my chances are of getting in!

You'd be better off scrolling through the successful applicants threads. Additionally, you could submit your stats onto the "What are my chances?" thread. Use the search function to find the successful applicants threads (there is one for every year) -- if you need help, there is a sticky thread at the top of the page with detailed instructions on how to use it.

At this point there doesn't seem to be any help in worrying (not like that is useful advice). You will find out if you got in or not in about a month and nothing that you do until then will change anything!

Reactions: 1 users
At this point there doesn't seem to be any help in worrying (not like that is useful advice). You will find out if you got in or not in about a month and nothing that you do until then will change anything!
I just don't want to falsely get my hopes up...I have an extremely strong GPA, a ton of animal and vet experience, but my GRE scores are rather embarrassing haha I just don't want to be crushed when the results come in if that's even possible.