Cornell University c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS rejection

Members don't see this ad.

OOS rejection - not at all surprising, I didn’t make the cut last year even with my excellent GREs, so without my GREs factoring in this year I definitely didn’t stand a chance. Congrats to all who got accepted or waitlisted!

Members don't see this ad :)
IS acceptance through email! Strange though because I never got a call from them the past 2 days🤔

Reactions: 4 users
OOS rejection, onto the next one

I just wanted to share something my vet said to me today. The ones who are rejected and think that they don't have a chance anymore are the ones who never reach their goals. The ones who are rejected and know they'll make it eventually, whether it be one attempt or five attempts, are the ones who reach their goals.

Please don't let rejections scare you off from applying again - you can do this! We all believe in you! :biglove:

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
OOS alternate!!
F824243A-3608-4AC9-BCF7-C910FB8869DB.gif

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS rejection, which I expected. They didn't look at fall grades and I knew that was going to be an important factor for me.

So I got my acceptance call while I was in the shower. I have never jumped out of the shower with conditioner in my hair to pick up a professional phone call while naked faster in my life.

I am so, so grateful my boyfriend and I both got accepted. Can't believe it's happening this way!
So happy for you!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
OOS accepted peeps, where are you from?
I'm from Massachusetts and went to UMass Amherst!
Thanks for starting this, it’s nice to hear from potential future classmates! I grew up and went to undergrad in Nova Scotia.

Same. I know my stats arent the best so if i do get waitlisted to cornell that itself is huge deal for me
Turns out I was straight up rejected. So SUPER bummed now. I hope you got the waitlist, and if not, it's okay there is always next cycle :)

OOS Alternate! Hopeful because a friend from undergrad got in as an alternate last year!

I contacted the Director of Admissions about the OOS alternate list. She can’t give us any info regarding rank, number of people on the list, or really anything else, but we should expect to see movement right before the April deadline and then a couple of weeks after.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if someone created a Cornell class of 2025 Facebook group yet?

Do the IS accepted peeps mind sharing their stats? I think I've mostly seen OOS stats. Was IS rejected but am wondering if it's worth giving it another shot😥

OOS accepted peeps, where are you from?
I'm from Massachusetts and went to UMass Amherst!
From CT originally and recently moved to FL, but I go to University of Vermont

I know this is probably a reach, but of those who got accepted and plan to attend, are there any horse people? I'll be bringing my mare who adores people and she would love another human buddy and/or rider when I'm busy :)

Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 11.57.41 PM.png

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know when we’ll get our financial aid packages?

Do the IS accepted peeps mind sharing their stats? I think I've mostly seen OOS stats. Was IS rejected but am wondering if it's worth giving it another shot😥
Yep!
IS accepted after my second application (Reapply guys! I was rejected completely last year and the only thing that really changed in my application was the amount of vet hours I had and diversity!)
Cumulative GPA: 3.78
Science GPA: 3.74
last 45: 3.97
Vet Hours at time of application: 1700 (general practice, surgery, internal medicine, ER, oncology, exotics, and zoo)
Animal Hours: 284 (wildlife and kennel)
Research Experience: 600
Volunteer Experience: 10 months (I don't remember the hours I put down)

I was IS rejected my first cycle and then IS waitlisted my second. Didn’t ever come off the waitlist, but ended up transferring in as a 2nd year.

Definitely schedule an application review with Jen Mailey when those become available (I think post-April 15th IIRC). She can give you some guidance as to where in your application you can improve.

can any current students comment on the poultry opportunities for vet students? i know that poultry is limited wherever i go, as no school really offers a poultry track and i’ll have to do a poultry residency/masters to specialize in this field after i get my dvm, but i’d love to know if there’s any opportunities to take poultry medicine courses or get hands on experience with different birds at cornell!

can any current students comment on the poultry opportunities for vet students? i know that poultry is limited wherever i go, as no school really offers a poultry track and i’ll have to do a poultry residency/masters to specialize in this field after i get my dvm, but i’d love to know if there’s any opportunities to take poultry medicine courses or get hands on experience with different birds at cornell!
You will want to become friends with Dr. Jagne, she’s our poultry vet here and very nice. We focused quite a bit on poultry med in Block IV (fall semester 2nd year) when it came to viral diseases and there is an elective class you can take on poultry med as well as a 3rd year. Any electives you take on public health will undoubtedly have info for you there, too. I am unaware of any hands-on opportunities myself, but other people might know more.

You will want to become friends with Dr. Jagne, she’s our poultry vet here and very nice. We focused quite a bit on poultry med in Block IV (fall semester 2nd year) when it came to viral diseases and there is an elective class you can take on poultry med as well as a 3rd year. Any electives you take on public health will undoubtedly have info for you there, too. I am unaware of any hands-on opportunities myself, but other people might know more.
thank you so much for the info :) i'm so happy to know that there is a poultry vet faculty member- so many schools don't even have a single poultry person!

Quite a few people I’ve talked to in my class were waitlisted and got in, so don’t lose hope if you’re an alternate!

I feel for everyone who wasn’t accepted— but know that it’s amazing you’ve gotten this far in the process already. Similar to comments above, when I was very nervous about my application cycle my mentors said if you’re persistent you WILL get in, although I know that’s hard to hear right now. Here for anybody that wants support or to talk!! You WILL be a veterinarian if that’s what you want to do!!!

edit: I just want to add and say that if you don’t get in this application cycle and were hoping to go straight into vet school, it’s ok! I took a gap year and honestly I think it’s the best decision I made. I have a friend who didn’t get in the first time around and she got loads of good experience that prepared her even more for vet school the next time around.

Reactions: 8 users
I was IS rejected my first cycle and then IS waitlisted my second. Didn’t ever come off the waitlist, but ended up transferring in as a 2nd year.

Definitely schedule an application review with Jen Mailey when those become available (I think post-April 15th IIRC). She can give you some guidance as to where in your application you can improve.
What school did you transfer from? Did you feel like you were behind upon entering as a second year/was it a weird transition?

are there any people who got accepted but don’t think they’re gonna take their seat?
It’ll depend on other schools. I’ll hear if I’m accepted to my regional school in mid-June and that’s ofc my first choice since I love it and it’s 1/3 the cost (WL hopefuls, don’t give up by May! There will still be people making decisions well past the deposit deadline). I’m also waiting to hear from Wisc, Purdue, Minn, and Minn/SD, and will consider those if accepted.

Just curious, do they mail a physical acceptance letter or is the online one the only one?

Just curious, do they mail a physical acceptance letter or is the online one the only one?
The person who called me said something along the lines of "You'll be getting your official acceptance in the mail" but I don't know if he meant email. I would hope we get a physical acceptance letter.

I know Cornell doesn't change OOS status after the first year. But what if my husband gets a job in the state? We file our taxes jointly every year. If he gets in-state residency, can I change my status to IS half through my schooling?

I know Cornell doesn't change OOS status after the first year. But what if my husband gets a job in the state? We file our taxes jointly every year. If he gets in-state residency, can I change my status to IS half through my schooling?
From what I understand, what you apply with is what you get for all four years.

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone having problems logging into the financial aid tracking page? I’m using the link that was sent to accepted students today in our email