This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mipro

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am currently a senior who goes to NYU. I was rejected from NYU dental school which was my top dream school so.. I feel very hopeless. I am eager to try again in the next cycle but until then, I need to raise my sGPA and DAT for sure.
I am not a science major (social work) but I did take all science pre requisites. I got C+ for both Bio courses which pretty dropped my overall sGPA right now to a 2.9 and overall GPA ended up 3.4.
Right now, I am thinking of Post Bacc but I realized that I will be able to join Fall 2018 cycle after I am completely done with 1 year Post Bacc. That is almost 2 year gap year and I want to know if there is another way for me to apply for 2017. Maybe taking summer courses (but I know that this doesn't increase my sGPA as much). If post bac is the best/only option, please tell me any record enhancing post bacc programs within the west coast (I prefer New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Boston). Please give me any suggestions. Thank you so much!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

were you rejected from all dental schools? call NYU and ask them why you were rejected specifically and just make sure thats fixed for next cycle (2017)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello. I am currently a senior who goes to NYU. I was rejected from NYU dental school which was my top dream school so.. I feel very hopeless. I am eager to try again in the next cycle but until then, I need to raise my sGPA and DAT for sure.
I am not a science major (social work) but I did take all science pre requisites. I got C+ for both Bio courses which pretty dropped my overall sGPA right now to a 2.9 and overall GPA ended up 3.4.
Right now, I am thinking of Post Bacc but I realized that I will be able to join Fall 2018 cycle after I am completely done with 1 year Post Bacc. That is almost 2 year gap year and I want to know if there is another way for me to apply for 2017. Maybe taking summer courses (but I know that this doesn't increase my sGPA as much). If post bac is the best/only option, please tell me any record enhancing post bacc programs within the west coast (I prefer New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Boston). Please give me any suggestions. Thank you so much!!!!!

Sorry to hear you were rejected from your dream school mipro.
Did you apply to any other schools? Be careful not to put all your eggs in one basket. I agree with DentistJoon on following up with NYU to see the reason for rejection. That way you can know the specific areas that you need to improve on.
I know Barry University in FL has a MS program in Biomedical Sciences geared towards enhancing your GPA for dental school admission. I'm sure there are a lot more programs but that's the one I'm familiar with.

Goodluck!

What are your stats? (DAT, Shadowing, Volunteer, Research)
My shadowing/volunteer experiences are pretty strong. I did 4 years of shadowing under dentist and several volunteer works.
DAT [PAT: 23 AA: 18]

NYU has an excellent post-bacc program. I have a friend who works in their admissions office.
Yes. I have heard about that. However they only offer 'career change program' which means I am not eligible since I took all the science prerequisites in undergrad..

Sorry to hear you were rejected from your dream school mipro.
Did you apply to any other schools? Be careful not to put all your eggs in one basket. I agree with DentistJoon on following up with NYU to see the reason for rejection. That way you can know the specific areas that you need to improve on.
I know Barry University in FL has a MS program in Biomedical Sciences geared towards enhancing your GPA for dental school admission. I'm sure there are a lot more programs but that's the one I'm familiar with.

Goodluck!
Thank you so much for your kind words. I am still waiting for other schools but I am iffy about them.. I actually did talk to NYU about what I should improve on but they replied with the basic 'improve DAT, try post bac/masters for enhancing gpa, pursue additional experiences such as research, shadowing hours, or service.'

My shadowing/volunteer experiences are pretty strong. I did 4 years of shadowing under dentist and several volunteer works.
DAT [PAT: 23 AA: 18]
I would def take the post bacc route, while working to raise the AA 18.