Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :cat:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got mine too! Had a question though. I applied to md schools last cycle and ended up on the waitlist with basically no hope. Can DO schools see that I applied to md schools last cycle?

Reactions: 1 user
hey guys is it worth sending a secondary with 24/23 MCAT and 3.8 GPA?
Or should I not waste my money?

The prompts:
Please describe your exposure to osteopathic medicine, including (but not limited to) experiences with physicians in primary care or rural practice within the US. How have these experiences impacted you and your pursuit of osteopathic medical education as it relates to the mission of Des Moines University? (500 word limit)

* Do you have research experience? Yes No
If yes, briefly describe the type of research experience and any measurable outcomes (presentations, publications, etc.

Please describe what you feel to be your most defining service experience (including medical or non-medical service, volunteer, military, leadership, etc.). Be sure to describe how this experience impacted you and contributed to the development of your capacity to care for others. (500 word limit)

is it weird that they don't ask for you AACOMAS number anywhere on the secondary? They just looks us up by name and birthday?

Submitted secondary today. A co-worker of mine started here last year and loves the area and the school. I would love to be accepted here!!!!

Umm, what is DMU's mission statement? lol... I"m having a hard time finding it.

Trying to answer these secondary questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Umm, what is DMU's mission statement? lol... I"m having a hard time finding it.

Trying to answer these secondary questions.

According to how the question is asking, I took it as the mission of DMU is to train osteopathic physician LOL. Are you thinking of mentioning DMU's mission in this essay as well?

"Please describe your exposure to osteopathic medicine, including (but not limited to) experiences with physicians in primary care or rural practice within the US. How have these experiences impacted you and your pursuit of osteopathic medical education as it relates to the mission of Des Moines University? (500 word limit)"

According to how the question is asking, I took it as the mission of DMU is to train osteopathic physician LOL. Are you thinking of mentioning DMU's mission in this essay as well?

"Please describe your exposure to osteopathic medicine, including (but not limited to) experiences with physicians in primary care or rural practice within the US. How have these experiences impacted you and your pursuit of osteopathic medical education as it relates to the mission of Des Moines University? (500 word limit)"

Yea, like i'm wondering what mission? I cant find it.

Yea, like i'm wondering what mission? I cant find it.

Our Mission
To improve lives in our global community by educating diverse groups of highly competent and compassionate osteopathic physicians, health educators, researchers and scholars.

Reactions: 1 users
Our Mission
To improve lives in our global community by educating diverse groups of highly competent and compassionate osteopathic physicians, health educators, researchers and scholars.

Where did you find that? I'm probably going to feel stupid.

Edit: Ah ok, so if you actually go to the "Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine" section, the mission statement is nowhere to be found, but if you go to the main website, it tells you the mission?

:wtf:

Last edited:
For this essay question: "Please describe what you feel to be your most defining service experience (including medical or non-medical service, volunteer, military, leadership, etc.). Be sure to describe how this experience impacted you and contributed to the development of your capacity to care for others. "

Does it has to be one particular experience or can it be multiple?

Also, for most of us, I guess we have already mentioned it in personal statement. Since it is most defining service experience, I guess we won't miss it.

So, what is the point of this question asking for?

Also, for most of us, I guess we have already mentioned it in personal statement. Since it is most defining service experience, I guess we won't miss it.

So, what is the point of this question asking for?
That's how I feel too... I have been dreading this question, because I don't want to rewrite my PS...

After we submit is there a way to see our document status or does DMU send an email once we're complete? Their secondary portal is a little different from the other COMs

I got an email after submitting my secondary with a link to check the status of my app

got the received your secondary app email today.

can someone chime in to what Des Moines University's mission is. "To improve lives in our global community....". global community can mean anything, but their secondary question seems to elude that they are big about rural areas.

can someone chime in to what Des Moines University's mission is. "To improve lives in our global community....". global community can mean anything, but their secondary question seems to elude that they are big about rural areas.
okay, just show your "passion" toward primary care. Try to use buzz words such as rural, underserved, diverse, primary care etc.

Hmm odd, wonder whats taking them so long?

same here. i'm thinking its taking time for them to add letters to our file (i didn't send through aacomas or interfolio/ i sent from undergrad letter services directly)...idk we'll probably hear next week.

Probably the holiday and just being busy with many apps in general.

The received email also mentioned a 5-7 business day processing time.

"Thank you for submitting the Des Moines University Supplemental Application. If you have already submitted the required letters of recommendation, please allow 5-7 business days for processing."

Ugh... I am having a very tough time with the second essay question.

Please describe what you feel to be your most defining service experience (including medical or non-medical service, volunteer, military, leadership, etc.). Be sure to describe how this experience impacted you and contributed to the development of your capacity to care for others.

I kind of incorporate this into my personal statement already so I really don't know what else to write.

Please describe what you feel to be your most defining service experience (including medical or non-medical service, volunteer, military, leadership, etc.). Be sure to describe how this experience impacted you and contributed to the development of your capacity to care for others.

I kind of incorporate this into my personal statement already so I really don't know what else to write.
This question is the only thing keeping me from submitting my application...

Submitted my secondary. I only had about a 380 words response for the second essay question.

I wouldn't sweat it too much on this front - I don't think they're looking for anything specific. I wrote about something that I did in undergrad all 4 years that was philanthropic, but just something I enjoyed doing and completely unrelated to medicine. We talked about it for probably half of my interview and it had nothing to do with preparing me for medical school, why I wanted to go into medicine etc. Just make it something you can elaborate about in other situations!

complete email this morning.

Just received a secondary. For the LOR part, can we just enter any 3 LOR info? Bc I have 6 + my committee letter.

ARGH. Still waiting to be verified. As an Iowa resident, I can assure you that DMU is a great place to be! Des Moines is an amazing city that was just ranked the top city in the nation for young professionals. Once I get that secondary I'm submitting ASAP. HURRY UP AACOMAS.

Question! How long did it take from the time you guys submit to be complete? I submit my secondary on 7/6 but have heard nothing back since then...

Question! How long did it take from the time you guys submit to be complete? I submit my secondary on 7/6 but have heard nothing back since then...
I submitted 7/2 and talked to them today. They said they are in the process of matching up my letters and mcat scores and such and should hear from them within the next couple days.

I submitted on 7/5. On 7/7, I received the email that said I was complete and would be told of my status within 60 days.

I submitted on 6/30 but still have not received a complete e-mail. Hoping it will be early next week.