Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OMG I just got the email too!!!!!! YAY!!

Members don't see this ad.

Got an email 90 minutes ago!

Edit: Submitted!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary also. At the bottom it had me check a box indicating I had qualified for the AACOMAS fee waiver, but then it had me pay the $60 bucks anyway? Not sure if that little check mark does anything or not.

Same here but when I clicked submit and then it showed the payment page I checked my email and I already had a submission confirmation. I sent an email to admissions asking if I need to pay the fee still even though I marked that I have the fee waiver and got the confirmation. I'll let you know what they say.

Same here but when I clicked submit and then it showed the payment page I checked my email and I already had a submission confirmation. I sent an email to admissions asking if I need to pay the fee still even though I marked that I have the fee waiver and got the confirmation. I'll let you know what they say.

Ok, so they emailed back and said:
"At the end of the application, you can simply feel free to close your browser on the payment screen. We will also waive your supplemental fee and we will take care of showing that on your account here at Des Moines University."

Just FYI

Just got my secondary too!

abolt18, I would just email admissions. They responded very fast and they should be able to help you out.

Got the secondary too!!! DMU is in my top 3 for DO schools so I'm really hoping for an interview.

Did anyone fill out the "optional" part? I don't really know what else to say so I'm going to leave it blank, but I hope it doesn't hurt me. I think I want to use it to explain why I will be sending more than the required recommendations (physician + committee or physician + two science professors). My school sends letter packets with the committee letter and all the associated recommendations they get to all schools, so I hope they don't reject me for supposedly not being able to follow directions.

Got the secondary too!!! DMU is in my top 3 for DO schools so I'm really hoping for an interview.

Did anyone fill out the "optional" part? I don't really know what else to say so I'm going to leave it blank, but I hope it doesn't hurt me.

I left it blank as well. There's nothing I need to explain that I haven't already covered in my personal statement or activity descriptions on AACOMAS. I could have gone into why DMU is the best school ever and my 1st choice etc. but I almost think that sounds too braggy/suck upy if the school didn't specifically ask for this information. Also, I feel like the interview is more of the place to discuss why you're a great fit for DMU and why you love DMU.

Good luck! :xf:

Did anyone fill out the "optional" part? I don't really know what else to say so I'm going to leave it blank, but I hope it doesn't hurt me. I think I want to use it to explain why I will be sending more than the required recommendations (physician + committee or physician + two science professors). My school sends letter packets with the committee letter and all the associated recommendations they get to all schools, so I hope they don't reject me for supposedly not being able to follow directions.
I left it blank. I have a committee packet too and I think schools are pretty aware that each school does it differently. I have 5 letters but they are all in the packet.

Members don't see this ad :)

I used it to say something to the extent of " I do not currently meet the biochemistry requirement, but if accepted to DMU i will take before matriculating."

I used it to say something to the extent of " I do not currently meet the biochemistry requirement, but if accepted to DMU i will take before matriculating."

That seems like a pretty good use for that spot. :thumbup:

Secondary received and sent back today! :soexcited: if only all secondaries were this simple!

I use the optional part to talk about the Special master program I just got into this way when I send them updates from these programs they kind of all ready know what is going on.

How old is your MCAT/what is their timeline. Mine is from 05/2010

Aug 2009...I took it early in case I needed to retake. Now, as a re-applicant, I found some schools want 2010 dates...4 months too old. Most schools say 3 years old, but some count from application date, others from matriculation. I found this out later than I wanted :smack:

If it's a packet of letters they won't care. Don't send more outside of that though.

So somehow AACOMAS sent my app to every school on my list... but not DMU, until today. So hopefully I'll get my secondary email in the next batch they send out, whenever that is. :/

Congrats to you all on the secondaries!

Gotta love the "no-essay" secondary, with just some survey questions!

Dang it. Apparently my LOR from my research professor at my undergrad doesn't count as one of the hard science LOR requirements, even though it was research in genetics and I got credit for it. What to do what to do...

good luck! keep an eye open for fast track interviews. if your scores are above 3.7 and 30 (i think), you may get an interview invite within a couple days. at least that is how it was last year.

good luck! keep an eye open for fast track interviews. if your scores are above 3.7 and 30 (i think), you may get an interview invite within a couple days. at least that is how it was last year.

Gah! I have a 3.4 but 31 MCAT. I also don't have my LOR's in yet and won't for another few weeks. Do people with missing LOR's also get these fast track interviews?

Dang it. Apparently my LOR from my research professor at my undergrad doesn't count as one of the hard science LOR requirements, even though it was research in genetics and I got credit for it. What to do what to do...

Same here because my cancer research was through the nutrition department. I'm emailing them about it to see if they budge.

What exactly do you mean by "fast track"? First interview day? Chosen for interviews first? I've never heard that exact expression before.

What exactly do you mean by "fast track"? First interview day? Chosen for interviews first? I've never heard that exact expression before.

Just a really early interview before they start interviewing candidates with credentials below the cut off for fast track.

They're actually interviewing candidates now (and have been over the summer) from some program where they pull highly qualified undergrad students or something.

Fast Track is a relative term. It only means that your app will get pushed to the front of the line. It doesn't necessarily mean you will get an early interview (although getting pushed to the front of the line usually will result in an early interview). For example, if you had good stats and applied in december when it's considered "late", you will get pushed to the front and could still snag an interview over someone who had on-the-fence stats.

Don't worry about people who got fast tracked or not. It doesn't mean they will get accepted. Nothing is given.

Good luck to you guys this year!

Fast Track is a relative term. It only means that your app will get pushed to the front of the line. It doesn't necessarily mean you will get an early interview (although getting pushed to the front of the line usually will result in an early interview). For example, if you had good stats and applied in december when it's considered "late", you will get pushed to the front and could still snag an interview over someone who had on-the-fence stats.

Don't worry about people who got fast tracked or not. It doesn't mean they will get accepted. Nothing is given.

Good luck to you guys this year!

Good to know...fast track is good but not that good...

Fast track is basically, "your scores rock, auto interview." Personally, I think it is a way for DMU to had out an acceptance faster so people get excited and submit the deposit before they have heard from any other school. But that would be dirty.

Fast track is basically, "your scores rock, auto interview." Personally, I think it is a way for DMU to had out an acceptance faster so people get excited and submit the deposit before they have heard from any other school. But that would be dirty.

Haha, yeah that was my interpretation of it too. I got a fast track invite but my MCAT was below a 30 (good GPA though), so maybe the combination of applying early/decent stats is sufficient for the fast track. Who knows...

Good luck this cycle everyone. If you have any questions about the application process or DMU related stuff, feel free to PM me. Hope to see you guys on campus this year for your interviews! :)

Strong tactic on DMUs part... they must have read Machavelli ...

How soon do you think people will receive Fast track interview invites? I'm stuck waiting for a committee letter, and would love an interview here.

How soon do you think people will receive Fast track interview invites? I'm stuck waiting for a committee letter, and would love an interview here.

Pretty quickly. I believe after getting confirmation that DMU had my file completed (including secondary), I received the fast track invite a couple days later.

Pretty quickly. I believe after getting confirmation that DMU had my file completed (including secondary), I received the fast track invite a couple days later.

do you remember how long it took for your app to get completed after you got everything in?

do you remember how long it took for your app to get completed after you got everything in?

Can't remember exactly... but probably the same amount of time it normally takes for other schools. So 1-2 weeks?

If you dont mind me asking, what were your stats? Im sitting at a 3.7/3.96 with a 26. Trying to figure out if I have any chance at a fast track.

If you dont mind me asking, what were your stats? Im sitting at a 3.7/3.96 with a 26. Trying to figure out if I have any chance at a fast track.

3.55cGPA/3.89sGPA/27MCAT

I think you have a great chance at one. :)

Doubtful. Fast track saves you about a week so don't put much weight. I had a 3.7/28 and I didn't get a fast track. The first interview date last year was september 1st and my interview was on the 12th. I also needed a Monday but I know there were earlier dates when I scheduled. Stay ahead of the game and you will be fine. To top it off, Toytles had fast track but he also interviewed way after I did. Point is, you are fine.