Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

Started by JamesLMT
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anybody else get an email saying they were complete this morning?

Argh!! Still waiting for my DO letter. Weirdly enough my DO works at the DMU clinic lol you'd think he'd understand and get it in on time...
 
Argh!! Still waiting for my DO letter. Weirdly enough my DO works at the DMU clinic lol you'd think he'd understand and get it in on time...

Ha... Sorry ... I am waiting on a DO LOR too. My guy is on vacation so I don't know when he is going to get to it. I have no contact with him what so ever so I hope when he gets back he sends me and email, hey LOR is done, sent to interfolio... If it worries you shadow other doctors and learn something then you can ask for a fall back LOR. This is what I am doing.
 
Ha... Sorry ... I am waiting on a DO LOR too. My guy is on vacation so I don't know when he is going to get to it. I have no contact with him what so ever so I hope when he gets back he sends me and email, hey LOR is done, sent to interfolio... If it worries you shadow other doctors and learn something then you can ask for a fall back LOR. This is what I am doing.

Thanks for the advice. I know he'll write it, he's just a huge procrastinator. I think about Wednesday next week I'm going to email his secretary and have her get after him about it lol.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the advice. I know he'll write it, he's just a huge procrastinator. I think about Wednesday next week I'm going to email his secretary and have her get after him about it lol.

Never stop shadowing... even after you get into med school. This is the best way to learn and get in good with a person in your interest field for those great LORs you will need for residencies.
 
Never stop shadowing... even after you get into med school. This is the best way to learn and get in good with a person in your interest field for those great LORs you will need for residencies.

Excellent advice as well! I can see a lot of med students easily forgetting this...
 
Never stop shadowing... even after you get into med school. This is the best way to learn and get in good with a person in your interest field for those great LORs you will need for residencies.

I highly doubt physician shadowing LORs matter nearly as much as clerkship/rotation LORs. Good advice, nevertheless.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good luck to all applicants this year! Any questions feel free to PM me. I am starting in about 3 weeks! Hope to see some of you around campus during interviews.
 
I scheduled September 10th. If anyone else does as well, it might be fun to grab dinner/drink or something.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats to the early interviewees!

I wonder if DMU gives interview invites for those without LOR's yet? I think mine should be coming in this week but I'm not positive about that.
 
Congrats to the early interviewees!

I wonder if DMU gives interview invites for those without LOR's yet? I think mine should be coming in this week but I'm not positive about that.

Doubt it. I'm pretty sure they won't review your file at all or invite you for an interview unless your file is complete (including LORs).

I'm in the same boat... told my DO to have my letter done by July 20th and I keep sending him friendly reminder emails so we'll see! :xf:
 
Doubt it. I'm pretty sure they won't review your file at all or invite you for an interview unless your file is complete (including LORs).

I'm in the same boat... told my DO to have my letter done by July 20th and I keep sending him friendly reminder emails so we'll see! :xf:
Unless its a fastrack interview invite. I received the invite w/o LORs or secondary completion
 
Not true as I don't have my physician letter yet. The email acknowledged this, and merely states that you need to have it in to the admissions department by the date of interview.
 
Unless its a fastrack interview invite. I received the invite w/o LORs or secondary completion

Whoops.. guess I was wrong, then. That really surprises me! This whole Fast Track program at DMU is weird... I don't know of any other schools that do anything like it.
 
Congrats on interviews!

I got one of those fasTrack interview offers in an email today too! I haven't even submitted a secondary or LORs for this school at all!

Can anybody explain what this fasTrack thing is? Is it common? Should I schedule the interview?
 
I think the fast track interviews are for people with great stats. You dont even have to have secondaries or LOR's in for them to offer it. Looks like these interview offers are fast track. Maybe regular invites will come later on in the week?
 
Hmm...I definitely don't have "great stats"...and I have foreign coursework which I don't even know if they accept. I can't find anything on their website. I guess I'll schedule and then cancel if I need to.
Good luck to all of you.
 
Interview!!!

3.64/3.7 28O

I flunked out my freshman year of undergrad...


Same here. cGPA: 3.59 sGPA: 3.82 MCAT: 28O

almost flunked out my freshman year of undergrad...

excited to get my first interview invite this early and from such a great school but... I was hoping to get some practice in with some other schools. Do we know how many usually get accepted from these fasttrack interviews?

Also what would be the better day to attend? monday or friday? I'd imagine the atmosphere would be very different and hanging around after on friday might show the area a bit busier, but maybe the med students would be less interested in us.
 
Last edited:
In addition to the question just asked, anyone know what the turnaround time on these interviews might be like? Ie, how long to hear rejected/accepted/waitlisted
 
Same here. cGPA: 3.59 sGPA: 3.82 MCAT: 28O

almost flunked out my freshman year of undergrad...

excited to get my first interview invite this early and from such a great school but... I was hoping to get some practice in with some other schools. Do we know how many usually get accepted from these fasttrack interviews?

Also what would be the better day to attend? monday or friday? I'd imagine the atmosphere would be very different and hanging around after on friday might show the area a bit busier, but maybe the med students would be less interested in us.

Can you tell us when you submitted your secondary?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
3.9/3.9, 28R

Received and submitted secondary on 7/6, I think they may still be waiting on my physician letter. I'm not exactly sure what "fast track" really is, but I'm super excited to even get an interview!
 
3.9/3.9, 28R

Received and submitted secondary on 7/6, I think they may still be waiting on my physician letter. I'm not exactly sure what "fast track" really is, but I'm super excited to even get an interview!

Great stats! Seems like a 3.7+ gpa with a 28+ mcat will get a fast track. I would assume your chances of acceptance are equal if not better getting a fast track interview invite so dont worry guys!