Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

Started by DOthreads
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was complete on 7/15 28 mCAT and 3.8 GPA. Should I be worried that I haven't received an interview invite yet? or am i freaking myself out?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got a ii today as well! Im so excited as it is my first one. My stats are 37, 3.9s, 3.7ns. Ill probably be scheduling for late sept/early oct. I have a few questions for current students. How are the research opportunities? Also is medical oncology a well represented specialty for electives? Thanks!

Is this a typo?
 
Is this a typo?

No lol, I realize I am highly above average for DO, but I am legitimately very interested in Des Moines. I think it seems like a great program compared to some MD schools, and I must admit the fact that they offer impressive scholarship packages to top applicants has me interested. (Funds are a issue due to my pharmacy education 😛).
 
No lol, I realize I am highly above average for DO, but I am legitimately very interested in Des Moines. I think it seems like a great program compared to some MD schools, and I must admit the fact that they offer impressive scholarship packages to top applicants has me interested. (Funds are a issue due to my pharmacy education 😛).

Good for you, man. Refreshing to see someone with your stats seeking out DO instead of using it as a cop out. Good luck!
 
No lol, I realize I am highly above average for DO, but I am legitimately very interested in Des Moines. I think it seems like a great program compared to some MD schools, and I must admit the fact that they offer impressive scholarship packages to top applicants has me interested. (Funds are a issue due to my pharmacy education 😛).
Wow! I'm speechless! Great to hear. Congrats!
 
Thought I would save some people a call. If you are interested in interviewing at a date later then what their system shows, you must wait for it to become available online. They extend interview dates weekly.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I received the complete notification from DMU on July 24th and haven't heard anything since then...thoughts on what this means? 3.3/32 OOS.
 
So all of you guys actually received emails saying your application is complete? All of my info was in weeks ago and I haven't heard a thing. I actually got an email today saying to make sure I complete my file within 30 days. I called the admissions and they said they have received all my info, no idea what is taking so long.
 
I received the complete notification from DMU on July 24th and haven't heard anything since then...thoughts on what this means? 3.3/32 OOS.

Not sure if it is similar to last cycle, but DMU mentioned in their complete e-mails that it could take up to 60 days to hear from them. I actually received my interview invite on day 59 last cycle.

Don't get worked up if you haven't heard back within a week. Some people will hear back quickly and others will take what seems like forever to hear back.

You have solid stats and shouldn't be worried about anything, just give it some time. Last I looked DMU receives something like 3500 to 4000 applications? Correct me if I'm wrong but that's a lot of paperwork for people to look through and choose interview invites.
 
Not sure if it is similar to last cycle, but DMU mentioned in their complete e-mails that it could take up to 60 days to hear from them. I actually received my interview invite on day 59 last cycle.

Don't get worked up if you haven't heard back within a week. Some people will hear back quickly and others will take what seems like forever to hear back.

You have solid stats and shouldn't be worried about anything, just give it some time. Last I looked DMU receives something like 3500 to 4000 applications? Correct me if I'm wrong but that's a lot of paperwork for people to look through and choose interview invites.
Right, but why would they send an II to someone who was complete after me nlol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got an email saying my application was on hold. Is this a bad thing guys? I'm OOS with a 3.6 GPA and a 33 MCAT.
 
Think I'll get any love with a 24 (8/6/10)? Rest of my app is solid.
You should retake, I know it seems harsh but it is hard to make up for a 6 and you can improve that with just a couple weeks of good verbal prep. My fiend got a 10/6/11 and after working through EK and TPR verbal in just two weeks he got a 11/11/11
 
You should retake, I know it seems harsh but it is hard to make up for a 6 and you can improve that with just a couple weeks of good verbal prep. My fiend got a 10/6/11 and after working through EK and TPR verbal in just two weeks he got a 11/11/11

I've thought about it since June, but can't justify spending the time and money if I'm not going to get a huge improvement. This test has just been my Achilles's Heel.
 
II today, completed received my completed e-mail 8/4. To bad all schools cannot move this quick.
 
For anyone wondering how competitive you are, our class profile just went up recently

http://www.dmu.edu/do/class-profile/

A little drop in gpa and a tiny increase in MCAT since the c/o 2017
Those stats are comparable to some MD programs! If more DO schools get comparable to MD stats, people will drop their assumptions that we only apply to DO if we don't think we can get into MD. I am applying to both and will likely choose a DO over an MD.
 
You should retake, I know it seems harsh but it is hard to make up for a 6 and you can improve that with just a couple weeks of good verbal prep. My fiend got a 10/6/11 and after working through EK and TPR verbal in just two weeks he got a 11/11/11

btw that is an awesome turnaround - pretty outside the norm for just two weeks of studying.

Think I'll get any love with a 24 (8/6/10)? Rest of my app is solid.

I would take practice tests and only retake if you are scoring consistently higher, there is not really much point in retaking if you end up getting the same score or not improving by at least 2 or 3 points. Bumping yourself up to a 28-29 would be awesome for your app but that is a big improvement. That being said - a 24 is on the low side for DMU. I'm assuming you received a secondary so you made the cutoff, which means that there is hope! However, If you have the time and the patience- I would retake.
 
Last edited:
Cool, I've got a low mcat score and I just got put on hold. Figured I'd be rejected.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is this"portal" everyone is talking about? Whenever I go to the website it just says "application submitted" on a page that is extremely user unfriendly lol