This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blairww

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know that the averages are pretty low for the ACS finals (averages of about 50%), but I thought I could at least get a C+/B without any sort of curve.

I just took the ACS Gen Chem I final today and definitely failed because I couldn't finish it on time. I did manage to bubble in D's for every question I skipped/didn't get to.

I was an A student; I worked hard to keep an A all semester, but I'm pretty sure this final just dropped me to a B. The professor will curve the exam, but I doubt it would be enough to keep my A. I needed at least an 81 to keep an A for the class.

I didn't think the exam was necessarily difficult, but my biggest issue was the rushed time (less than 2 min. per question); I felt like they wanted me to take less than two min. to answer a question that would take most people five minutes to do. I do think that most of the answers I finished are right, but I took too long to solve them.

Has anyone else bombed the ACS final, or has anyone else's grade suffered because of this exam? I guess I'm just trying to make myself feel better because I'm so disappointed in myself. I even studied the ACS exam prep book.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I took the Ochem II final and thought there was plenty of time, and I assume that the timing is similar. The scores will likely be curved based on your class scores, so if you're an A student, most likely you'll be fine. I think for our class, the class average was like a 40 and my 60ish was an A, so don't worry about it, if it was that hard, I'm, sure everyone struggled.

Reactions: 1 user
I took the Ochem II final and thought there was plenty of time, and I assume that the timing is similar. The scores will likely be curved based on your class scores, so if you're an A student, most likely you'll be fine. I think for our class, the class average was like a 40 and my 60ish was an A, so don't worry about it, if it was that hard, I'm, sure everyone struggled.

Perhaps, but I think I'm just a slow test-taker in general. I usually did 2-3 letter grades better than the class average for our other chem exams, buuuuuttt I don't think that's the case for this final. As I said, I know my chemistry, but I guess I just don't have it down enough to where I can finish an exam like that within the time frame.

Well, I suppose we'll see. It may be awful to say, but I hope our class average is in the 20's lol :vamp::rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps, but I think I'm just a slow test-taker in general. I usually did 2-3 letter grades better than the class average for our other chem exams, buuuuuttt I don't think that's the case for this final. As I said, I know my chemistry, but I guess I just don't have it down enough to where I can finish an exam like that within the time frame.

Well, I suppose we'll see. It may be awful to say, but I hope our class average is in the 20's lol :vamp::rolleyes:
Work on the speed thing or the MCAT will destroy you. I consider myself a fast test taker and don't feel comfortable with the MCAT pacing.

I took the Gen Chem II final and I also felt that there wasn't enough time. I finished with 15 seconds to spare lol I scored a raw 53% which my professor curved to an A and I got an A in the course. I'm sure you'll be fine :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I took the Gen Chem II final and I also felt that there wasn't enough time. I finished with 15 seconds to spare lol I scored a raw 53% which my professor curved to an A and I got an A in the course. I'm sure you'll be fine :)

I really hope I can keep my A. At least you were able to finish it; I was there until the last second, just trying to fill in random answers because I'm the slowest test-taker in the world. I was also tired from studying all night.

I guess I better start timing myself for the Gen Chem II final now, since I'm taking that this fall.

The MCAT will beat my butt if I don't get the hang of timed tests.

Nope, no one else have ever bombed anything

Well, my professor gave us a 12 point curve, and I dropped from an A to a B (88.4) :oops:

I officially hate school.

I got a 53 without a curve, but he only gave us a 12 point curve...

Well, my professor gave us a 12 point curve, and I dropped from an A to a B (88.4) :oops:

Sorry to hear that OP, maybe you can go talk to him and see how the rest of the class did. Maybe he will have pity since you did so well in the rest of the class?

Don't give up! Trust me, I know that getting a B sucks especially when you worked so hard. You could always ask your prof if there is any last min extra credit you can do or something. The worst he/she can say is no. Just remember attitude is everything and go into this next semester ready to kill it! The Gen Chem II final is a lot of chem I and you can always get the study guide to begin practicing early.

Scored a 75% on the ACS after the curve, dropped my grade to a B+ and was 0.2 percent away from an A :)

I got a 65 on the gen chem I ACS.....no curve.....

my raw score was just the score that was factored into my grade....lets just say it didnt end well...

Scored a 75% on the ACS after the curve, dropped my grade to a B+ and was 0.2 percent away from an A :)
haha. That smiley face..

My face is more like this :bang: right now
I can't believe your professor didn't bump you up - that would drive me insane. My <2 pt. short of an A is driving me crazy as it is. And my school goes by a 4.0 grade scale, so it won't even show up as a B+ on my transcript.

Don't give up! Trust me, I know that getting a B sucks especially when you worked so hard. You could always ask your prof if there is any last min extra credit you can do or something. The worst he/she can say is no. Just remember attitude is everything and go into this next semester ready to kill it! The Gen Chem II final is a lot of chem I and you can always get the study guide to begin practicing early.

Nah. It's Friday night and grades are due this Monday. I was being optimistic because my professor knows I've worked hard for my A, and I always went to his office to look over my exams and to clarify things; however, he sent kind of a grumpy email telling everyone not to email him about grade complaints and bumping up. He then kind of threatened to take away the curve if someone complained, "I giveth and I can taketh away" [quote from his email]. He seems very much like a zero-favoritism type of professor.

I got a 65 on the gen chem I ACS.....no curve.....

my raw score was just the score that was factored into my grade....lets just say it didnt end well...

I'm sorry to hear that. Did you have to retake it?

Is that standard practice for most professors at your school? I heard most professors give insane curves for the ACS exams.
Apparently there's a professor at my school that actually doubled the final grade. For example, if someone made a 40 then they would get curved to an 80... I wish I had him lol

Too bad med schools don't allow grade replacement... but then I would probably be tempted to retake B's for an A lol

[eQUOTE="blairww, post: 18039318, member: 792300"]I'm sorry to hear that. Did you have to retake it?

Is that standard practice for most professors at your school? I heard most professors give insane curves for the ACS exams.
Apparently there's a professor at my school that actually doubled the final grade. For example, if someone made a 40 then they would get curved to an 80... I wish I had him lol

Too bad med schools don't allow grade replacement... but then I would probably be tempted to retake B's for an A lol[/QUOTE]
yeah my prof was tough. He didn't do any sort of grade replacement or curving....rough class

So I know that the averages are pretty low for the ACS finals (averages of about 50%), but I thought I could at least get a C+/B without any sort of curve.

I just took the ACS Gen Chem I final today and definitely failed because I couldn't finish it on time. I did manage to bubble in D's for every question I skipped/didn't get to.

I was an A student; I worked hard to keep an A all semester, but I'm pretty sure this final just dropped me to a B. The professor will curve the exam, but I doubt it would be enough to keep my A. I needed at least an 81 to keep an A for the class.

I didn't think the exam was necessarily difficult, but my biggest issue was the rushed time (less than 2 min. per question); I felt like they wanted me to take less than two min. to answer a question that would take most people five minutes to do. I do think that most of the answers I finished are right, but I took too long to solve them.

Has anyone else bombed the ACS final, or has anyone else's grade suffered because of this exam? I guess I'm just trying to make myself feel better because I'm so disappointed in myself. I even studied the ACS exam prep book.
had an A going into the final for genchem2 and i also bombed the ACS final and got a B in the course...still haunts me till this day..try to kick some major butt in organic chemistry

***UPDATE***

My professor bumped me up to an A :D:D:D
I guess I was wrong, and he decided to bumped me up because he knew I was working hard.

My professor bumped me up to an A :D:D:D
I guess I was wrong, and he decided to bumped me up because he knew I was working hard.