This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alord1234

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am an honors student at Arizona State University majoring in biological sciences. I currently have a 3.52 GPA. I know this isn't great and some of my friends have said that I probably don't have a chance of getting into medical school. I am considering adding a second major in Neuroscience. I would graduate a semester later but I was hoping the second degree/extra education would make me a stronger candidate. Would it? Or should I just graduate in Spring 2018 as planned? I am already planning on taking a gap year after graduation to get medical experience but its just a matter of whether I graduate in Spring 2018 or Fall 2018. Also, please be honest with me. Do I have a chance of getting in? I did a medical internship in Nicaragua summer of 2017 which was great experience. I also recently started working in a psychology research lab. I know I need a lot more experience but some people say that if you don't have a 3.7 GPA or above then you don't have a chance at all or have really low chances.

Members don't see this ad.

The second major would not get you an advantage over a single major just for the purpose of having a second major. However, pursuing that second major would let you stay in school and take more classes, hopefully getting As, raising your GPA and showing an upwards trend, which would be helpful.

You are not dead in the water with a 3.52. What is your science GPA? MCAT?

I was hoping the second degree/extra education would make me a stronger candidate. Would it?
No. As far as adcoms are concerned, a second major makes no difference and can, in fact, hurt you if it drops your GPA or appears to demonstrate poor judgment.

Do I have a chance of getting in?
Yes, although there's a lot more information you need to provide if you want an accurate assessment of your chances. What's your grade trend? cGPA/sGPA? ECs? MCAT? As far as helping your GPA, you should consider a post-bacc or SMP. Read this: Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

I did a medical internship in Nicaragua summer of 2017 which was great experience.
At best, adcoms would consider this medical tourism and it wouldn't help your application. At worst, they may feel it constituted delivery of medical care without adequate training or supervision. The experience isn't going to help and should probably be left off your application.

I know I need a lot more experience but some people say that if you don't have a 3.7 GPA or above then you don't have a chance at all or have really low chances.
Horse crap. I'd be willing to bet the people who've told you that have never gotten into med school.

There are many factors that go into a successful med school app, and the importance of GPA can't be overstated. But by showing a promising GPA trend, having a strong MCAT, and applying broadly to MD and DO schools, you can be successful.

Reactions: 2 users
No one cares how many majors you have. Your GPA isn't doing you a ton of favors (it's already rather good for DO schools), but it's good enough if you do well on the MCAT and are able to demonstrate a history of service and an understanding of what physicians do. Shadow, volunteer somewhere meaningful to you. No one will care about your medical internship, I think. It doesn't really say anything about who you are as a person.

Put together an app that says (1) you can succeed in medical school (Keep the GPA where it is or increase it slightly if possible and do well on the MCAT), (2) that you know what you're getting into, and (3) that you're happy doing a largely thankless job because it makes other people's lives better.

Reactions: 1 users