Do medical schools compare science GPAs of different majors? How?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bakr89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, do med schools differentiate between engineering, chemistry, and other majors whose curricula would affect their science gpas? If so, how? I would imagine engineering, chemistry, physics and other physical sciences would have lower science gpas than health sciences.

Members don't see this ad.

It seems pretty unanimous here that a 3.9 in random non-science "easier" major with 3.7 science gpa in the required courses > mediocre GPA in any major.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems pretty unanimous here that a 3.9 in random non-science "easier" major with 3.7 science gpa in the required courses > mediocre GPA in any major.
But all science majors aren't created equal. Like public health sciences is a lot easier than a biology major. Or a biomedical engineering would more difficult than biology. It seems kind of strange to use science gpa alone as a criterion without taking into consideration the actual science major, but I am guessing it would be a lot easier to sort out that sort of thing logistically for admissions.

Yeah, but I am sure a lot of people have similar MCAT scores...

Not everyone has similar MCAT scores...there are plenty of people here with high MCAT but low GPA and plenty of people here with very high GPA and low MCAT. Since MCAT is standardized across all individuals, the MCAT is more emphasized at some DO schools.

They also look at your EC's. If your GPA isn't that good but you have a lot of experience in the healthcare system, then the lower GPA can be overridden with a high MCAT score with lots of good EC's.

The best thing to do is to have at least a high cGPA and/or a high sGPA with a good MCAT to show that you can excel in your classes.

:beat:Uh use the search function.. The button should literally take up half the page...

No they don't care one bit. I could do a drawing major (just an example for all you internet warriors about to say that drawing is so hard at such and such school) get an A in the 5 pre req science courses I take and have a 4.0 sGPA and guess what, I would get in over the biomedical engineering guy with a 3.2 in 100 credits of engineering science courses... Considering same MCAT, ECs, etc.

:beat:Uh use the search function.. The button should literally take up half the page...

No they don't care one bit. I could do a drawing major (just an example for all you internet warriors about to say that drawing is so hard at such and such school) get an A in the 5 pre req science courses I take and have a 4.0 sGPA and guess what, I would get in over the biomedical engineering guy with a 3.2 in 100 credits of engineering science courses... Considering same MCAT, ECs, etc.

While that's true, I believe DO programs will look at the applicant more closely post interview. You want your stats within a certain threshold to be granted an interview, but the level of difficulty of classes and major would be only a small factor.

Reactions: 1 user