DO waitlist support thread 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Great job, and I appreciate your efforts :) I think I may be able to add on about ACOM. I was accepted off the waitlist back in February, as well as a couple of other people since February.

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile
Thanks for the update and congrats on your A, future doc! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks man! I did see your username pop up in a few threads, really hope some good news comes your way soon. You’ve been helpful to so many others!
Appreciate it man! Same to you!

Just wanted to check in and let everyone know that I’ve been making updates to the larger post. Seems like there was little movement reported today on SDN but there were acceptances from the WL at UNECOM, LMU, and PNWU.

Does anyone have thoughts/insight as to whether graduation might be slowing things down or is it business as usual for admissions?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to check in and let everyone know that I’ve been making updates to the larger post. Seems like there was little movement reported today on SDN but there were acceptances from the WL at UNECOM, LMU, and PNWU.

Does anyone have thoughts/insight as to whether graduation might be slowing things down or is it business as usual for admissions?
I think either goro or gyngyn from the other waitlist support said it was slower this year, but I also think the pandemic kind of hindered decisions.

Reactions: 2 users

Acom is waiting till next week. Maybe schools are just delayed 1wk from the traffic day?

I think either goro or gyngyn from the other waitlist support said it was slower this year, but I also think the pandemic kind of hindered decisions.
Cool cool cool, I’m just going to tell myself that June is the new May to maintain what little sanity I have left then lol

Reactions: 5 users
Gooood morning, friends! I made a poll to try and collect more data. I’d appreciate any participation or sharing on other appropriate threads. Votes will be anonymous. Thanks in advance!
Link to poll

Reactions: 1 users
Oof my masters program starts in June, these meds school really think I’d drop out of my masters after they made me wait so long??? The answer is yes

• Haha
Idk what an SMP is but it’s a medical science program I’m supposed to sign up for classes on the 26th and they start in early June lol

Just a heads up SMPs should be a last ditch resort to get to med school. If you underperform in them it’s a death sentence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a heads up SMPs should be a last ditch resort to get to med school. If you underperform in them it’s a death sentence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can attest to this! Rocky Vista straight up told me my masters degree hurt me more than it helped me. Because I didn't score above a 3.4 they automatically rejected me (even though my undergrad was a 3.7)

Members don't see this ad :)
I can attest to this! Rocky Vista straight up told me my masters degree hurt me more than it helped me. Because I didn't score above a 3.4 they automatically rejected me (even though my undergrad was a 3.7)
SMPs should be treated as trials to med school curriculum more than anything else imo, plus they also "guarantee" interviews or straightup acceptances if your performance is above a certain point.

Alright, it’s my end of the day update. We saw some movement today at the following schools OSU, WCUCOM, PNWU, BCOM, VCOM- Auburn, RVU-CO, and CHSU. The larger post has been updated accordingly.

I have noticed there’s been a decent number of people stating that they’re withdrawing from schools which brings me to my poll analysis...

First off, thanks to everyone who participated! I really didn’t think it would get much response. Second, my speculation is that because MD WLs seem to be moving so slowly, we might expect the DO WL to lag behind as well. About half of the responses were people who had no A’s but waiting on WLs (definitely noticed this being a trend this year) and the other half were split between having a DO acceptance but they’re waiting for a response from an MD waitlist or another DO waitlist. I still think it’s early in the game for the DO WL which might just be me grasping for hope but I need that right now, haha.

I left the poll open until August so hopefully there’s some more participation that trickles in. I’ll likely make another poll in a few months when we start seeing some real movement.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Alright, it’s my end of the day update. We saw some movement today at the following schools OSU, WCUCOM, PNWU, BCOM, and VCOM- Auburn. The larger post has been updated accordingly.

I have noticed there’s been a decent number of people stating that they’re withdrawing from schools which brings me to my poll analysis...

First off, thanks to everyone who participated! I really didn’t think it would get much response. Second, my speculation is that because MD WLs seem to be moving so slowly, we might expect the DO WL to lag behind as well. About half of the responses were people who had no A’s but all WLs (definitely noticed this being a trend this year) and the other half were split between having a DO acceptance but they’re waiting for a response from an MD waitlist or another DO waitlist. I still think it’s early in the game for the DO WL which might just be me grasping for hope but I need that right now, haha.

I left the poll open until August so hopefully there’s some more participation that trickles in. I’ll likely make another poll in a few months when we start seeing some real movement.

What are your thoughts?
It's almost June, I really hope I can get pulled by next week or I will have to move on with signing a lease on an apartment near my current accepted school.

It's almost June, I really hope I can get pulled by next week or I will have to move on with signing a lease on an apartment near my current accepted school.
Oh boy, good luck! This process is tough. I almost wonder if it would be better if everyone just adopted the match system like Texas schools have.

Alright, it’s my end of the day update. We saw some movement today at the following schools OSU, WCUCOM, PNWU, BCOM, and VCOM- Auburn. The larger post has been updated accordingly.

First off, thanks to everyone who participated! I really didn’t think it would get much response. Second, my speculation is that because MD WLs seem to be moving so slowly, we might expect the DO WL to lag behind as well. About half of the responses were people who had no A’s but waiting on WLs (definitely noticed this being a trend this year) and the other half were split between having a DO acceptance but they’re waiting for a response from an MD waitlist or another DO waitlist. I still think it’s early in the game for the DO WL which might just be me grasping for hope but I need that right now, haha.

What are your thoughts?

Yeah the cycle seems to be slow this year on the md side, and that has knockdown effects on do. Hopefully it'll pick up soon

I hope it picks up man... :/

I know we can’t control WL movement, but I was wondering if schools interviewed more students this cycle than pervious cycles? Is that why we see little to no movement? I keep hearing MD WL is behind, but is it behind or do we treat it like there will not be much movement? I kept going through previous cycles sdn threads and there was a lot of movement by this time already. Is it the pandemic? Schools aren’t changing their start date so how much effect can the pandemic have? I’m definitely being affected by the waiting and I can’t help but think of the saying “a watched pot never boils” :( Trying so hard to keep busy and not lose hope, but I can’t help feeling defeated. I truly hope this WL movement picks up by next week or I need to send new applications. Most of us are in the same situation and reading all your comments is what that is helping me get through this, so thanks everyone.

Really wish my SMP year went better myself. I was surprised I even got a couple interviews this year, though I suspect my gpa was the main reason for me being waitlisted :(

Oh boy, good luck! This process is tough. I almost wonder if it would be better if everyone just adopted the match system like Texas schools have.
Any this point I will take anything, rejection or acceptance, from that school lol.

So I am in a weird spot. I had honestly given up and was applying for sales jobs to start from scratch. My school went through its first 30 WL spots in the first 4 days, I was ranked in the next batch of 30, 14 days later and we have gone through another 12-15 spots. If I was absolutely last on the second re-rank I am 17th now and I could be anywhere as high as 9 currently. Where I use to think I had no chance, I am starting to think that I will get in. Since this school is not a high ranking DO school I figure it is more likely students will be given offers at more desirable schools. Is it overly optimistic to think that my chances look pretty good now? Obv if I am 9th I am probably getting in but I am hung up on the fact that I might be 17th. This trend of 45 WL spots gone through in 21 days makes me optimistic but with the May 15th deadline gone will movement almost assuredly crawl to a stop? Any input would be appreciated I am going crazy. it was super hard on me emotionally to give up and now that I have a chance of getting in my hopes are going up again.
According to the AACOMAS guidlines, a student must be given 2 weeks to reply to a school after the may 15th traffic day before an offer can be rescinded. Students would have been replying for the past week, plus some of them still have all of next week. That being said don't drop all hope just yet. On the other hand I am curious how the DO schools would be ranked, anyone know?

According to the AACOMAS guidlines, a student must be given 2 weeks to reply to a school after the may 15th traffic day before an offer can be rescinded. Students would have been replying for the past week, plus some of them still have all of next week. That being said don't drop all hope just yet. On the other hand I am curious how the DO schools would be ranked, anyone know?

There isn't any official ranking when it comes to DO schools, however some schools are more established than others and will be able to offer a more efficient medical curriculum compared to others. Regional recognition and alumni network also come into play.

So I am on the WL at PNWU, and they blew through the first 30 on their WL in 4 business days. The fact that they had this much movement while in general WL movement has been lagging should point to them taking an abnormally large number of people of the list this year? It would seem that many of their initial WL spots were either rejected by their applicants or used to fill empty slots because,, in years past, it did not move even close to this swiftly. I just really feel like this is indicative that it will continue to have significant movement despite already having so much. Am I crazy?
30 in 4 days is insane. Maybe they deliberately didn't accept enough people and are now making it up from the wl?

It certainly bodes well for you

30 in 4 days and then at least ten but I think it is more like 13 in the last 14 days. I am somewhere from 18-10th I feel like it is looking good, but I don't want to get my hopes up. I feel like the trend is begging me to get excited though.
Just another factor to consider is that some people who get accepted from the WL won’t actually accept the offer. They might have already been accepted to their preferred choice and haven’t withdrawn from the WL. Or they’ll hold onto the acceptance until they do hear back from their preferred choice. I doubt that every single person who was called has decided to attend, this could also be a reason why the WL was moving so quickly?

edit: I just realized you already stated this in an above post. Serves me right for checking SDN first thing when I wake up! My bad!

Last edited:
This might be a hard question to answer, but how many people are held on a waitlist usually?

By ranked I just mean I am sure there are plenty of students at my school who would prefer to be at DMU or KCU for example. I just mean that my school is not in the most desired category IMO. If I was on the waitlist at DMU I would be less optimistic.
I really don't want to get my hopes up but the more I think about it and how fast the WL has moved so far that 16 more spots should happen. This is the worst.

You're completely entitled to your opinion but maybe don't be blasting the one school you have a chance of attending? It also sort of feels like a belly shot to those who genuinely want to attend this school. I'm not saying don't express your feelings but rather be more considerate of others' when expressing them.

Edit to add: I'm not just talking about this particular post but the negativity has been hard to handle on the specific school thread too. I know this process is hard and everyone handles it differently but the majority of us are applicants as well and don't have the answers you're seeking. This is not the last step in this process. It gets harder, I promise you that is the consensus from all the physicians that I know, which is a lot through my work experience. I might personally receive a lot of disagreement, and that's fine, but seriously figure out how to handle the emotions now. At least start to work on how to deal with them. Stress outlets and such.

Also, there was one thing I remember you saying "that your family is over this process" or something along those lines. If you don't have support through medical school it's going to be RIDICULOUSLY hard. Have those hard conversations because I really do think you're going to be accepted from the way the waitlist is moving there. Prepare for that now.

I'm really sorry if this comes off as horrible. Good luck with everything.

Last edited:
I don’t think Longtimecoming was referring to school ranks but rather the nervous energy that OP is expressing. We all know that this process is brutal and sometimes the way we carry ourselves on the internet isn’t well received regardless of intention.

I want to redirect this conversation to a good point that LTC has though...regardless of where we are at this point, coping with anxiety and stress is going to be a major part of medical school and really life in general and we can use this time to work on that.
Personally, I’ve been doing a poor job of coping since May started and one of my goals is to spend less time checking my email and SDN. Someone else described it perfectly earlier “a watched pot never boils”. My way of coping is to try and find answers and reason but I want to apologize if my nervous antics have been stressing anyone else out.

This support thread is a good place to discuss and share and be...well supportive. Let’s continue to be that for each other, especially if some people don’t have that support irl.

PS: If anyone sees me lurking on here before 5pm PST, please call me out on it lol

I don’t think Longtimecoming was referring to school ranks but rather the nervous energy that OP is expressing. We all know that this process is brutal and sometimes the way we carry ourselves on the internet isn’t well received regardless of intention.

I want to redirect this conversation to a good point that LTC has though...regardless of where we are at this point, coping with anxiety and stress is going to be a major part of medical school and really life in general and we can use this time to work on that.
Personally, I’ve been doing a poor job of coping since May started and one of my goals is to spend less time checking my email and SDN. Someone else described it perfectly earlier “a watched pot never boils”. My way of coping is to try and find answers and reason but I want to apologize if my nervous antics have been stressing anyone else out.

This support thread is a good place to discuss and share and be...well supportive. Let’s continue to be that for each other, especially if some people don’t have that support irl.

PS: If anyone sees me lurking on here before 5pm PST, please call me out on it lol

Yes, thank you. I want to clarify that I don't want J to feel attacked, that's not my intention. But moreso to point out that coping strategies need to be established early and those who are going to be in our support system should be as well informed of the process as possible. We also have to be clear with what we need from them, whether that be space or an ear to listen to.

And also to be supportive of everyone on here and in our future classes. In doing that, we should consider how our neurosis are effecting others because, let's face it, we're all a bit neurotic.

How did you get me blasting the school. I am just saying it is likely that it was not everyone who is trying to go there's first choice, which I think is more or less likely depending on the school.

I appreciate the clarification and I am not hating on PNWU, I am just saying it makes sense they have more WL movement then let's say OHSU. I am begging anyone who will listen to let me into that school so IDK how you got me knocking it from my post. I tend to crank my nervous energy up to 11 when posting because it is the only place where I can just truly let it go. My home life is super stable, but the opportunity cost of continually applying to medical school would be stressful for any marriage. Either way I saw that you are higher up on the WL than me, do you know your rank in the top ten yet?

"By ranked I just mean I am sure there are plenty of students at my school who would prefer to be at DMU or KCU for example. I just mean that my school is not in the most desired category IMO "

This can be interpreted that it's definitely not your first choice and that most people, if given the option, would go to a different school because this one isn't that great comparatively.

But I'd really rather move on from this topic too. I have a family with small children as well. We all have our individual circumstances/situations. I just want there to be some sort of understanding that our words and neurosis do effect others, even if it is online.

Let's all just work on our coping strategies that will benefit us throughout our time in medicine. Obviously, I need to do the same otherwise I wouldn't have been bothered.

I hope there is significant waitlist movement next week.

Waiting sucks :mad:

Reactions: 7 users
Alright alright alright, there was reported movement at UIWSOM, WCUCOM, Western-Lebanon, DMU, and ATSU SOMA. Sometimes the movement isn’t daily as users are reporting that they were accepted earlier in the week. As always the larger post has been updated. I know this is rough on everyone but empathy and understanding will take us a long way, further than the situation that we’re facing right now. Hang in there!

It’s Memorial Day weekend so I expect there won’t be too much activity on Monday. I’ll update on Tuesday. Hope everyone has a good weekend!

Reactions: 7 users
Also currently only on one waitlist and thats lecom-e, going to play it safe and assume I'm rejected, its already late may so I can't waste time this cycle, going to apply early and hope for the best :)

Is anyone ready for another week of excitement? :happy::happy:

Reactions: 2 users

scroll down.

Attachments

• PD Ranking 2020.xlsx
    44 KB · Views: 152
Hope everyone had a good weekend!

There were some schools that had movement last week which did not make the Friday update to include: ARCOM, Rowan, UNECOM, and NYITCOM. Also LMU is still sending out interview invites, unclear how this affects their waitlist.

Today there was movement reported at Touro-Harlem, KCU-Joplin, KCU- Kansas City, DMU, NSU, UNECOM, and maybe PCOM-GA but the user didn’t say whether it was a post-interview acceptance or from the WL.

For what it’s worth (maybe just a teaspoon of hope), I’m noticing more people announcing withdrawals of acceptance and from WL positions.

After 5pm PST edits: Movement reported at BCOM

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Yeah it’s silly, why not just make it on a Monday? I’m also curious know if most other applicants are aware that there even is deadline for DO traffic day. I mentioned it in a school specific thread and some people who have been holding multiple acceptances weren’t aware until I said something :unsure:
What is traffic day?

What is traffic day?
Traffic day for DO schools was on May 15th. It’s the day where osteopathic schools received information on which applicants were holding seats at multiple schools. They do not know which schools specifically, just the names of the applicants. Applicants who had reserved a spot at more than one school were then informed that they had a certain amount of days to commit to one school or their seat would be withdrawn. It’s school dependent but here’s the link for the full information from AACOM.

y'all think these schools reply to you differently depending where you are on the waitlist? lol. im prob overthinking but the thought is funny

You're getting responses? haha. The school I'm interested in won't even respond to my emails lol