Does Oklahoma give state preference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrisv

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To me, the stats blatantly say that being a non-resident, you're at a huge disadvantage.

In-coming Class
• Oklahoma: 76 (86%)
• Non-Resident: 12 (14%)
• Ethnic Minorities: 19%
Application Profile
Total Applications Processed: 1,075 (88 positions available)
• Oklahoma: 248
• Non-Resident: 827
Interview Profile
Total Interviews Granted: 199
• Oklahoma: 151
• Non-Resident: 48

I'm really interested in going to Oklahoma--I like that they're affiliated with some large hospital which will give me plenty of clinical training, plus their website one of the more professional ones (rare for a DO school). They also say that competitive applicants have a 27 on MCAT and 3.4 (science) & 3.5 (overall). My stats: Colorado resident with 25Q (7V, 8P, 10B) and 3.8 (science) & 3.9 (overall). Am I wasting my time applying there? Nothing special with clinical experience, just some volunteer at hospital, nursing, and a job working with physically/mentally challenged kids. But lots of research & one big leadership position.

Members don't see this ad.

I got into OSU as an oos applicant, but I'm originally from Oklahoma and had significantly higher stats than their averages. They do give a big advantage to instate students and are legislatively required to do so. However, they admit a pretty fair number of oos students, so I'd still apply.

I haven't checked the USNews numbers for this year, but last year's published numbers showed that a very high number of oos applicants who were granted interviews were offered acceptance, so it appears that OSU makes the big oos cut when offering interviews. If they reject you pre-interview, you're only out the application fees.

Oh yeah, and be sure to refer to it as Oklahoma State or OSU, not Oklahoma. Oklahoma would be OU, and there's a big state rivalry between the two schools. You might make some sports fanatics angry. :)

It is a state school, so, yes there is an in-state preference. They hold approx 15% of the spots each year for OOS students. As exlawgrrl explained, the stats aren't bad for OOS applicants who are invited for an interview.

BTW: since this is a thread about applying to school, I'm moving it to the pre-osteo forum.