2022-2023 Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine (OSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
These people need to stop playing with my emotions. Got another email today thanking me for my patience and saying interviews are extended until April. From the title of the email I thought it might be a rejection. Really hoping this school comes through for me!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
These people need to stop playing with my emotions. Got another email today thanking me for my patience and saying interviews are extended until April. From the title of the email I thought it might be a rejection. Really hoping this school comes through for me!
Same!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
got this email again today as well (2nd time for me)

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually they don’t arrange 4th year. I found this out after talking to a 3rd year student
22 rotations but like 9 electives. You schedule the electives (which include audition rotations for the match: you might have to apply for an audition rotation, but don't audition to get the rotation). The school has contracts with many places to help with placement into electives. This is a great opportunity to explore different fields and learn skills. For example: there is a radiology program through the school hospital but you would use an elective to rotate through the program.

Does anyone have any insight or specific information regarding the rotation sites for 3rd and 4th year at OSU?

I know the school arranges 3rd and 4th year, unlike most DO programs, but I would like to know the specific location(s) involved (e.g. most of them are in Tulsa or Tulsa’s suburbs, through the state, or multi-state?).
Like 99% of the core and required rotations are statewide in Oklahoma. Tulsa, Tahlequah, Muskogee, McAlester, Ada, Lawton, Duncan, Durant, Enid, Stillwater, Ardmore, OKC, etc. Rotations outside of Tulsa, OKC, and Tahlequah usually have some sort of provided housing.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone seen this option, or have any of you added letters from previous applications? I wanted to speak to those who wrote my previous letters first, to make sure it was still cool before I did it. But now that I've submit my secondary, I don't see the option to do it, anymore. I also don't want to be a pain and call my LOR writers back and say, "JK, can you actually write me a new one?"
Did anyone else have or see an option to upload/import LORs from a previous cycle to the secondary app? I had the option before submitting, but now I'm not sure if it's too late. I don't see that option anywhere now that I've submit. Anyone know anything about that?

Has anyone been accepted off the waitlist? I’m OOS 510, 4.0 sGPA w strong ties but have been waitlisted since September :(

Sorry for the late response, but thought I would respond to give some hope for those on the waitlist. I originally interviewed in August. I was waitlisted some time afterwards, and then I was accepted off of the waitlist in October I believe. IS with a 508.

Reactions: 1 users
Have you been accepted anywhere else? Applied to allopathic schools in your state of resi
Have you been accepted anywhere else? Applied to allopathic schools in your state of residence?
I have DO A’s but would prefer to be here, no MD A’s. Wasn’t able to apply to the only MD school in my state due a missing requirement

Got another update email today, basically saying II are extended until April and thanks for being patient.

Has anyone heard anything at all so far this year? I never got one of those emails others have mentioned, either about interviews having been extended or about still being on the radar or anything.

This feels like the most quiet cycle I've observed so far. It's a little unnerving!

Has anyone heard anything at all so far this year? I never got one of those emails others have mentioned, either about interviews having been extended or about still being on the radar or anything.

This feels like the most quiet cycle I've observed so far. It's a little unnerving!
I got the radar email back in November but no emails recently

I have been thinking the same thing but I had issues with my LOR being old so I thought that may be my problem but after fixing that I have heard nothing.

Y’all, just sit tight. They’re still interviewing applicants. They’ve been holding interviews just about every week. It’s not late and I hope you get the call.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how to withdraw my application after being accepted? Do I have to email them or can I do it on the portal?

Does anyone know how to withdraw my application after being accepted? Do I have to email them or can I do it on the portal?
Can you still login to your applicant portal? Maybe there's an option there.

If not, I'm sure you can always email Lindsey Yoder or someone else in Admissions to either advise them or ask for information on how to do that.

How does the bridge program work, has anyone interviewed for that yet? Is it competitive/ do they only take a small amount of people?

How does the bridge program work, has anyone interviewed for that yet? Is it competitive/ do they only take a small amount of people?
I don't know how many they take. I assume not many since they have to reserve those spots out of next year's class. For my understanding there's no like direct application to it you apply to the school and if they like you but are concerned about your academics they will automatically invite you to that program. I don't think there's a separate interview they just use your initial interview

I don't know how many they take. I assume not many since they have to reserve those spots out of next year's class. For my understanding there's no like direct application to it you apply to the school and if they like you but are concerned about your academics they will automatically invite you to that program. I don't think there's a separate interview they just use your initial interview

Oh okay. So it’s just like normal interviews instead of specific interviews? I read that they tend to do those towards March or April in previous threads but that could of just been a Covid thing so I really was confused. I read that the mcat for it was lower than the minimum for the actual school and that you have to test at the min to be put in the next years class. I’m assuming they tend to take people over the minimum then and not the minimum for the mcat on the bridge program website?

Received my second "thank you for your patience, we are still interviewing people and may interview you if you are qualified" email. I was complete mid August lolll

Reactions: 2 users
Received my second "thank you for your patience, we are still interviewing people and may interview you if you are qualified" email. I was complete mid August lolll

lolll I didn’t even receive the first one but dead silence since submission

I applied and interviewed for it a few cycles ago before I started grad school. (I was waitlisted, obviously didn't get accepted lol)

I think it's typically 10-15 people each cycle. It's almost identical to the Guaranteed Admissions Program, with the only real difference being the qualifying criteria. So, it's very competitive in that there are so few spots available, and I have also heard/been told that they don't routinely accept people to Bridge who qualify for the traditional program (the Bridge GPA and MCAT min requirements are 2.5 and 483, respectively). I don't know if that's still the case, but I know that regardless, it's hard to get in just because of the small number of spots they have, and there is a very strong preference for IS applicants- like more than for their traditional program.

Oh okay. So it’s just like normal interviews instead of specific interviews? I read that they tend to do those towards March or April in previous threads but that could of just been a Covid thing so I really was confused. I read that the mcat for it was lower than the minimum for the actual school and that you have to test at the min to be put in the next years class. I’m assuming they tend to take people over the minimum then and not the minimum for the mcat on the bridge program website?
Sorry, I should have responded to both your posts at once. I didn't read this one until after. 💀

Anyway:

• The interviews are totally normal (unless they've changed since I interviewed, which was the 2018-2019 cycle). They don't start screening applicants for it until the Spring semester (I got the II the last week of Feb that year, interviewed the second week of March).
  • The GPA and MCAT requirements are lower than the traditional program, and you're required to get all As and Bs in your classes and score at least a 498 by the end of your Bridge year to matriculate the following year.
  • Because the requirements for GPA and MCAT are lower, there are a few things to know:
    • Metrics carry a *LITTLE* less weight; they expect a great personal statement, interview, and overall a LOT of life experience and/or community involvement.
    • Qualifying applicants are one of the following: (1) From an economically disadvantaged situation (poor folks!), (2) From an environmental disadvantage (small town folks), (3) Underrepresented Minorities in Medicine (not the same as a general minority in the USA), and (4) A non-traditional applicant pursuing medicine as a second career and with an interest in rural, primary care in Oklahoma.
Feel free to message if you have any more questions! I'm reapplying this cycle, but that's at least what I know from when I applied for that program back then!

Has anyone gotten an interview invite yet. Completed my II since October and still nothing. 😕

same here. is the understanding to wait until April, then give up? Cause I'm tired of waiting
I have a friend who's a 4th year right now who got an II the first week of April and interviewed the second week. He was accepted the third.

Try to hang in there!

I applied late (not complete until March 😬), interview invite received later that month, interviewed beginning of April, received acceptance about a week later. I'm a second year now. There were people in my interview group that were admitted in May and I believe June. It's tough to not know but it's not over until it's over.

• Love
Just got an email saying they were going to review the waitlist soon to extend some more offers and asking if I was still interested in the school. Did anyone else get this email? Is it indicative of good news or just routine?

Just got an email saying they were going to review the waitlist soon to extend some more offers and asking if I was still interested in the school. Did anyone else get this email? Is it indicative of good news or just routine?
Its just routine but means a lot more waitlist movement should be coming soon in the next few months!

IS. Complete 10/10. II 02/01. Interviewed 02/24. Waitlisted today 03/02. Non-trad, MCAT 505, GPA trash.

I previously applied during the 2020-2021 cycle (with a 500 MCAT and worse GPA) and ultimately received a rejection in May. During that time Ms. Yoder was incredibly helpful in discussing my app which is why I am even grateful to have received an interview this cycle. I am really hoping for a GAP spot to open up.

The waitlist stings but let’s not give up! My best friend interviewed in January and got off the waitlist in May during her cycle. Many of my coworkers were accepted off the waitlist even as late as July during their cycles. One of my acquaintances was waitlisted then offered a GAP spot during her year. I know people who never got off the waitlist, but they eventually got acceptances the following years since they never gave up!

• Love
IS. Complete 10/10. II 02/01. Interviewed 02/24. Waitlisted today 03/02. Non-trad, MCAT 505, GPA trash.

I previously applied during the 2020-2021 cycle (with a 500 MCAT and worse GPA) and ultimately received a rejection in May. During that time Ms. Yoder was incredibly helpful in discussing my app which is why I am even grateful to have received an interview this cycle. I am really hoping for a GAP spot to open up.

The waitlist stings but let’s not give up! My best friend interviewed in January and got off the waitlist in May during her cycle. Many of my coworkers were accepted off the waitlist even as late as July during their cycles. One of my acquaintances was waitlisted then offered a GAP spot during her year. I know people who never got off the waitlist, but they eventually got acceptances the following years since they never gave up!
Hang in there! I hear a lot of wait list movement happens early April-ish. Did you apply for the traditional track, or specifically for GAP and/or Bridge?

Hang in there! I hear a lot of wait list movement happens early April-ish. Did you apply for the traditional track, or specifically for GAP and/or Bridge?

I completed the traditional application and wrote in my secondary that I was very interested in the GAP program given my academic history + non-trad status. Given my abysmally low GPA, I think my odds of matriculating into the traditional track are nonexistent lol. I know students who were invited to GAP/bridge program years ago and are thriving students currently.

I completed the traditional application and wrote in my secondary that I was very interested in the GAP program given my academic history + non-trad status. Given my abysmally low GPA, I think my odds of matriculating into the traditional track are nonexistent lol. I know students who were invited to GAP/bridge program years ago and are thriving students currently.
Awesome! I only ask because I know GAP/Bridge-only applicants typically aren't considered for interviews until the Spring semester, though I have heard some traditional applicants who interviewed earlier and were waitlisted eventually got GAP offers later. So, I was just trying to get a feel if you were one of the first GAP/Bridge interviews or a traditional applicant interview. 😅

Some of the Bridge/GAP applicants in here (myself included) are getting antsy now that it's March! 😂

Awesome! I only ask because I know GAP/Bridge-only applicants typically aren't considered for interviews until the Spring semester, though I have heard some traditional applicants who interviewed earlier and were waitlisted eventually got GAP offers later. So, I was just trying to get a feel if you were one of the first GAP/Bridge interviews or a traditional applicant interview. 😅

Some of the Bridge/GAP applicants in here (myself included) are getting antsy now that it's March! 😂

During my interview they said “we know some of you are being considered for the GAP and bridge programs - those accepted to the traditional track will receive a call from [the dean] while those accepted to GAP or bridge will receive a call from Jeffrey Hackler.” I don’t recall the exact wording but I think you’re on the mark. I hope everyone here gets those interview calls soon! Keep sending your updates in!

Fun story, one of my friends with 49X and 48X MCATs applied in February, interviewed in March, got her GAP acceptance in April. One month she was my coworker and next month she was moving to Tulsa for school!

• Care
Got the A off the waitlist!! Excited, this is my top choice :)

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Withdrew my A. Love this school, manifesting it goes to one of you!

• Love
Withdrew my application to this program, hopefully it ends up benefiting somebody else in some small way! Best of luck, and lots of love to y'all.

Withdrew my application to this program, hopefully it ends up benefiting somebody else in some small way! Best of luck, and lots of love to y'all.
Thanks but it Probably wouldn’t do much if you were an OOS applicant since preference is usually given to IS applicants or folks with significant ties to Oklahoma.

Thanks but it Probably wouldn’t do much if you were an OOS applicant since preference is usually given to IS applicants or folks with significant ties to Oklahoma.
I mean the seat is still going to be getting filled by somebody…

I mean the seat is still going to be getting filled by somebody
i meant that if she hadn’t gotten an interview or an acceptance as an OOS applicant. Can’t benefit anyone if it was never given in the first place.

Has anyone heard anything this week? I'm assuming there won't be as many interviews due to the Match results (and ceremony/party) being this week.

Note that this is why I didn't say anything like I hope it gets somebody an acceptance. I appreciate you clarifying that it wouldn't do much, but this is indeed why I explicitly stated "help in some small way". Also, I just generally am of the opinion that as soon as you know you won't choose to attend a certain institution, it is your responsibility to inform the school ASAP so they can consider others who actually want/need that chance instead of wasting time, resources, and interview slots on people who don't. I do genuinely believe that people withdrawing their apps and even decreasing the competition pool by a few numbers will eventually help someone else. Best of luck to you this application cycle, friend, I hope you get accepted your program of choice :).

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Note that this is why I didn't say anything like I hope it gets somebody an acceptance. I appreciate you clarifying that it wouldn't do much, but this is indeed why I explicitly stated "help in some small way". Also, I just generally am of the opinion that as soon as you know you won't choose to attend a certain institution, it is your responsibility to inform the school ASAP so they can consider others who actually want/need that chance instead of wasting time, resources, and interview slots on people who don't. I do genuinely believe that people withdrawing their apps and even decreasing the competition pool by a few numbers will eventually help someone else. Best of luck to you this application cycle, friend, I hope you get accepted your program of choice :).
Congratulations on your acceptance, and thank you for your consideration of others!

Where have you decided to go for medical school?

I heard from a friend that the slack for the accepted OSU students has around 165 people in it currently. The entering class of 2021 had 180 students total (127 in Tulsa, 53 in Tahlequah). I feel a bit pessimistic for myself, however it just means they probably aren’t filled up yet. There’s still room for the April interviewees, waitlisters, and GAP/bridge hopefuls. Plus we haven’t had the waitlist wave hit yet.

Note: I counted the exact class size by looking at the composites page linked below. My numbers may be wrong!

• Wow
I heard from a friend that the slack for the accepted OSU students has around 165 people in it currently. The entering class of 2021 had 180 students total (127 in Tulsa, 53 in Tahlequah). I feel a bit pessimistic for myself, however it just means they probably aren’t filled up yet. There’s still room for the April interviewees, waitlisters, and GAP/bridge hopefuls. Plus we haven’t had the waitlist wave hit yet.

Note: I counted the exact class size by looking at the composites page linked below. My numbers may be wrong!

Just remember that some of these members in the slack are also faculty/current students. Don’t lose hope!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users