Eastern Virginia Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bigk9s

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone interviewd at EVMS? If so, what was your impression of the school? Supposedly its pretty difficult to get in.

Members don't see this ad.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Bigk9s:
Has anyone interviewd at EVMS? If so, what was your impression of the school? Supposedly its pretty difficult to get in.

Interviewed there November 1st. Facilities are nice, teaching hospitals on "campus," they do not belong to the medical school. Students appeared to be generally happy, faculty, responsive. The school's mission makes community involvement a priority. Overall, a solid institution. It is relatively new (1973, I believe) and not well known, but, in my opinion, that is trivial. I think they accept 70/30 instate/outofstate; thus, out of state admission is rather competitive.

I interviewed on November 19th (as an out-of-stater) and have been on the waitlist since. I was really impressed with the school, curriculum, and the strong use of standardized patients. The location of the school is a bonus as it is set in a "nice" part of town surrounded by ample (if not a bit expensive) housing. EVMS was my top-choice for other 'personal' reasons but I have withdrawn my application in light of my recent acceptance to my second-choice school (which does have a stronger reputation and program). One more out-of-state seat open for you guys!
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
I also interviewed there out of state in February, and was wait-listed. They finished interviewing at the end of February. Since the school isn't affiliated with a larger university it isn't as well known, but has some very nice facilities, and the students seem genuinely happy.

On a side note, does anyone known how much movement is made off of the top third of the wait-list? Thanks

Wadewilk...how ironic. I turned down my chance at EVMS to go to Gainesville...and you're wanting to leave Gainesville to go to EVMS!
smile.gif

Yeah, I noticed that too. Congrats by the way! My wife is looking for a change, and while it will kill me to miss the football (and weather), we're looking to other pastures, not necessarily greener mind you, after grad school.

Actually, you will probably love Norfolk and surrounding areas even more than you like Gainesville if you're into "green" areas and nice weather! The summers are cool by our standards...highs in upper 70's to lower 80's most of the time and it cools off even more at night. The humidity is a LOT lower, on average, although there are a few sweltering days (not NEAR as bad or as long as down here) during mid-late summer. The fall season is breathtaking because you're actually far enough north to see the changing of the leaves (something pretty much unheard of down here, of course). During the summer there is often a nice breeze, so even on the "hot" days it's not so bad. The winters will be colder than you're used to but while I was up there it rarely got below 40 (which is a normal winter temp in Pensacola) but it did rain a bit. Every once in a while, snow might even get down that way but it's not all that common due to the proximity of the coast.

We spent a year up there in '98 while my husband was stationed at the Naval base (I attended Old Dominion in the meantime) and it was SOOOO nice most of the time. When I moved back to Florida and the humidity I remember wondering "what was I thinking????"
smile.gif

Yeah, I spent 4 years in Charlottesville which is a big reason why I want to head up a bit farther north. Of course, I spent 18 years in Jacksonville so I know both sides all too well.