2023-2024 Eastern Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Eastern Virginia Secondary Essay Prompts

1. Briefly describe your exposure to medicine. (2000 characters)

2. What do you think you will like best about being a physician? (2000 characters)

3. What do you think you will like least about being a physician? (2000 characters)

4. Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now. (2000 characters)

5. Please indicate your reasons for applying to EVMS. (2000 characters)

6. (Optional) EVMS is dedicated to inclusivity and supporting patients and students from diverse backgrounds. Feel free to share your personal experience or ties to communities from diverse backgrounds. Please explain in detail if you wish to respond. Some examples include but are not limited to race/ethnicity, culture, LGBTQ+, differently-abled/disabled, etc. (2000 characters)

7. (Optional) If you would like to discuss how race has personally affected your life, through discrimination, inspiration or otherwise, feel free to share your experiences, obstacles overcome, and how this impacted your education and road to applying to medical school. (3000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
last year secondaries came out super late, like september iirc

Hey everyone! So, on MSAR, their minimum MCAT is 502, but on the EVMS website, I can't find the same info. Should I trust MSAR even if I can't find the exact info on EVMS?

Hey everyone! So, on MSAR, their minimum MCAT is 502, but on the EVMS website, I can't find the same info. Should I trust MSAR even if I can't find the exact info on EVMS?
I don’t think they have a minimum but the average accepted is 512

Members don't see this ad :)
Can the people who received their secondary share when they transmitted their primary to EVMS, and also share the prompts? It would be super helpful to the other applicants in this thread, including myself ;). Thank you!

Reactions: 3 users
1. Briefly describe your exposure to medicine.

2. What do you think you will like best about being a physician?

3. What do you think you will like least about being a physician?

4. Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now.

5. Please indicate your reasons for applying to EVMS.

6. EVMS is dedicated to inclusivity and supporting patients and students from diverse backgrounds. Feel free to share your personal experience or ties to communities from diverse backgrounds. Please explain in detail if you wish to respond. Some examples include but are not limited to race/ethnicity, culture, LGBTQ+, differently-abled/disabled, etc.

7. If you would like to discuss how race has personally affected your life, through discrimination, inspiration or otherwise, feel free to share your experiences, obstacles overcome, and how this impacted your education and road to applying to medical school. (Optional, 3000 characters)

**prompts 6 and 7 are optional

**all prompts are 2000 characters, except #7 which is 3000 characters.

Reactions: 4 users
their system is glitching so hard it send me 4 secondaries email lmao

Nothing yet...last year's forum talked about Rs being sent over calls?

I submitted 7/14 - no secondary yet. I'm really hoping to receive a secondary from this school! I heard great things about it from a good friend who attended med school there.

How do you actually submit? After inputting essays and getting to the signature and date section on the bottom, the system isn't allowing me to press the "submit my responses and pay" button.

How do you actually submit? After inputting essays and getting to the signature and date section on the bottom, the system isn't allowing me to press the "submit my responses and pay" button.
Okay just in case anyone gets a similar problem! The secondary mentions that if you are not in-state, then to skip the in-state questions and go straight to the signature, but it does not let you submit until you complete those in state questions, so be sure to just fill those out despite the instructions!

Sorry, I'm being neurotic but does EVMS send secondaries out in waves? When do they usually send out pre-secondary Rs?

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah same, I'm an OOS and I still haven't gotten the secondary yet.

for the pre req section, if for example my BIOL 101 includes lab, can I use it for both the biology lecture section AND the lab section?

Anyone know if/how Eastern Virginia pre-screens? I was verified early June and still haven't received a secondary

For my diversity essay, which has stuff about cultural/ethnic background, I'm trying to decide if it best fits in optional question 6 or 7....It's more of an inspiration story relating to my culture rather than focusing on how I'm a diverse/minority applicant, so I'm thinking 7? But it's ethnicity, not race, so maybe 6? Would appreciate any advice

For my diversity essay, which has stuff about cultural/ethnic background, I'm trying to decide if it best fits in optional question 6 or 7....It's more of an inspiration story relating to my culture rather than focusing on how I'm a diverse/minority applicant, so I'm thinking 7? But it's ethnicity, not race, so maybe 6? Would appreciate any advice
"If you would like to discuss how race has personally affected.."

Definitely 6. They are looking for the URM experience for question 7.

Anyone else still waiting for a secondary?

Reactions: 5 users