MD co ‘20 Residency Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Now you got me worried that mine is too short. Mine is only 5 pages long. It's really on 4 since the 5th page is just the certification disclaimer.

Mine is only 5, too

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Still checking and rechecking my app. I am so scared to hit certify and submit. Keep wondering if I put too much on my app (included stuff from undergrad). My app currently has about 15 pages in the PDF version. Is it about right? Anyone mind sharing how many pages their app show?

Yeah I'm with everybody else at 5 pages. 15 is absolutely insane. How do you have that much stuff to put on there?!

I have several gap years before medical school that have relevant work experiences. I also have a number of involvements and research at med school, along with some (not all) undergrad stuff that paints the person that I am and would be very happy to talk about in interviews. But i think i definitely need to cut.

Just to clarify though, when I say 15 pages, I am referring to the PDF file when you click View/Print Application. The PDF on View/Print CV is much shorter at around 6-7 pages. When you guys say 5 pages, is that the Application or the CV file?

Members don't see this ad :)
Still checking and rechecking my app. I am so scared to hit certify and submit. Keep wondering if I put too much on my app (included stuff from undergrad). My app currently has about 15 pages in the PDF version. Is it about right? Anyone mind sharing how many pages their app show?
Mine is about that length as well.
I’m a career changer with a previous life and i stayed pretty busy in med school. It’s not a bunch of nonsense, I find it all to be legit. My couples match partners is about 6 I think, but I think it just depends on what was your path.

I have several gap years before medical school that have relevant work experiences. I also have a number of involvements and research at med school, along with some (not all) undergrad stuff that paints the person that I am and would be very happy to talk about in interviews. But i think i definitely need to cut.

Just to clarify though, when I say 15 pages, I am referring to the PDF file when you click View/Print Application. The PDF on View/Print CV is much shorter at around 6-7 pages. When you guys say 5 pages, is that the Application or the CV file?
Mine is 5 pages on the view/print application. 3 pages on the CV.

How much detail did you go into on your experiences? I only wrote about 2 sentences for each.

Don't worry, you're not some sort of terrible freak. My Application was 11 pages. :highfive:

Mine was 15 pages. I got it down to 14 after I removed poster presentations that were “in house” and not at major conferences. But I also had a previous career and 5+ years of research experience. I think length is irrelevant as long as you don’t appear to be padding your application or wasting their time with fluff. I’d run it past someone at your home program and see what they think if you have any concerns. It’s definitely unnerving having a long application when nothing is organized chronologically, but programs are used to it and you should be fine if everything you put in is relevant. (I personally omitted any interest group or club experience that wasn’t relevant to my specialty, for example). If your experience paints a picture of who you are and why you’re a great candidate for that specialty, it’s worth keeping IMO.

Reactions: 2 users
My school still hasn’t uploaded my transcripts and I’m growing somewhat concerned. Is it a big deal if the transcripts aren’t up before 9/15?

Cross posting here to get last minute help too:
"Howdy folks, I've gotten myself in a MASSIVE, IDIOTIC pickle and was hoping some of you guys would help. I asked an EM Program Director for 1 General Letter (meant for my backup specialties) and 1 SLOE. The SLOE will be my 2nd and will be available next week. Unfortunately, my anxiety kicked in and I accidentally assigned the general letter which came today, to the 20 EM programs that I had already applied for. My question is do I :
1-Go through with 20 EM programs that currently have 1 IM, 1 EM, and 1 SLOE, and wait for the 2nd SLOE next week from the SAME WRITER as the EM letter. My concern is that programs will see that the same author wrote the general letter and the 2nd SLOE, and I'm afraid the program my randomly delete the 4th letter that would be the SLOE.
OR
2-Withdraw the 20 Applications, and submit an incomplete application of 1 IM and 1 SLOE, and assign the 2nd SLOE next week. I'll have to pay another $500, but I'm ok with that."

God I can't wait for this process to be over. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

"Howdy folks, I've gotten myself in a MASSIVE, IDIOTIC pickle and was hoping some of you guys would help. I asked an EM Program Director for 1 General Letter (meant for my backup specialties) and 1 SLOE. The SLOE will be my 2nd and will be available next week. Unfortunately, my anxiety kicked in and I accidentally assigned the general letter which came today, to the 20 EM programs that I had already applied for. My question is do I :
1-Go through with 20 EM programs that currently have 1 IM, 1 EM, and 1 SLOE, and wait for the 2nd SLOE next week from the SAME WRITER as the EM letter. My concern is that programs will see that the same author wrote the general letter and the 2nd SLOE, and I'm afraid the program my randomly delete the 4th letter that would be the SLOE.
OR
2-Withdraw the 20 Applications, and submit an incomplete application of 1 IM and 1 SLOE, and assign the 2nd SLOE next week. I'll have to pay another $500, but I'm ok with that."

God I can't wait for this process to be over. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This exact scenario is what made me opt out of applying to any backup specialties

Just here to say I feel for you cause this is something I would stress about for a while (even if it turns out to be really small and nobody notices or cares)

stay strong dude/dudette/dudething

Question:

Is it worth using an inpatient FM rotation LOR for IM residency apps for my 4th letter?
My LOR sent me a copy and it is general (doesn't state FM or IM).

Personal statement is 1 page on my word processor...of course it's 3 lines over on ERAS. :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
OR

Your second option isn't an option. If you withdraw your application, and then reinstate it, you get the same application with the same letters (and they don't charge you again). You can't start from scratch.

Hey guys, LOR questions here. Applying Gen Surg Categorical.

My understanding is that if a program says "3 letters" with no other verbiage, you won't be heavily penalized for submitting 4. If they say some version of "no more than 3" then obviously don't submit 4.

My question is how to pick 3 when I need to. What would you guys send out of these:

1) Chair's letter (goes everywhere)
2) Big name Gen Surg + fellowship faculty (MD), i've seen the letter (don't know why it was shared with me) and it's strong but brief.
3) Gen Surg + fellowship faculty (DO) who knows me well, also was my clerkship director.
4) Not big name but Surgeon (DO) who I have scrubbed with probably 50+ cases that knows me very well and is very supportive.
5) Clerkship director from another specialty (MD), honored this rotation. Also the person that read my PS and gave a lot of advice generally over 4 years in medical school.

Thanks guys. Freaking out here. Yes I should have figured this out earlier.

Still no chair letter?

Still no chair letter ...:yeahright:

• Sad
@aProgDirector -- When filtering students by date submitted, do you also see what TIME they submitted their applications? For example, tomorrow morning at 9 AM EST is first opportunity to view applications, but how are the students who submit at, say, 8 PM EST viewed? Still in the same overall group of "September 15 applicants?"

@aProgDirector -- When filtering students by date submitted, do you also see what TIME they submitted their applications? For example, tomorrow morning at 9 AM EST is first opportunity to view applications, but how are the students who submit at, say, 8 PM EST viewed? Still in the same overall group of "September 15 applicants?"

Good question. Piggybacking on this, do programs actually spend a weekend/Sunday downloading applications? I hope not. My comlex transcript is still shown as processing so I hope they download only Monday.

I too would like to know the answer to this ^^^^

Like, do I really need to submit this application at midnight tonight? For a few reasons, it might be better for me to submit tomorrow night - but is that gonna screw me over?

So. I don't have my third letter in yet, should be in by Monday or Tuesday. I was told by my school this isn't a huge deal, as long as it's in shortly after you submit and by the time of Dean's letter. I then read people freaking out on this site about not having three in at submission.
It got me thinking, I submitted to programs today, this means that my USMLE transcript probably won't become available until this week. So am I going to get filtered out because my USMLE transcript may not be available immediately at 9 am 9/15?
I can't imagine that this is the case, I know this is a competitive cut throat process. But how insane can this be, that a program would overlook a potential applicant because they don't have their scores to screen them or a third letter (which they probably wouldn't read until an interview anyways) by 9:01 am.
This all just seems so ridiculous.
My 2 cents I guess, which are worth nothing.

So. I don't have my third letter in yet, should be in by Monday or Tuesday. I was told by my school this isn't a huge deal, as long as it's in shortly after you submit and by the time of Dean's letter. I then read people freaking out on this site about not having three in at submission.
It got me thinking, I submitted to programs today, this means that my USMLE transcript probably won't become available until this week. So am I going to get filtered out because my USMLE transcript may not be available immediately at 9 am 9/15?
I can't imagine that this is the case, I know this is a competitive cut throat process. But how insane can this be, that a program would overlook a potential applicant because they don't have their scores to screen them or a third letter (which they probably wouldn't read until an interview anyways) by 9:01 am.
I doubt it’s going to matter that much as long as you’re submitted as your application will be time stamped that day. You can update later.

Any thoughts, y'all. Not trying to take over thread but I'd be forever thankful for some thoughts on this point.

Wondering if should just blanket four letters and hope that I don't break any rules.

Hey guys, LOR questions here. Applying Gen Surg Categorical.

My understanding is that if a program says "3 letters" with no other verbiage, you won't be heavily penalized for submitting 4. If they say some version of "no more than 3" then obviously don't submit 4.

My question is how to pick 3 when I need to. What would you guys send out of these:

1) Chair's letter (goes everywhere)
2) Big name Gen Surg + fellowship faculty (MD), i've seen the letter (don't know why it was shared with me) and it's strong but brief.
3) Gen Surg + fellowship faculty (DO) who knows me well, also was my clerkship director.
4) Not big name but Surgeon (DO) who I have scrubbed with probably 50+ cases that knows me very well and is very supportive.
5) Clerkship director from another specialty (MD), honored this rotation. Also the person that read my PS and gave a lot of advice generally over 4 years in medical school.

Thanks guys. Freaking out here. Yes I should have figured this out earlier.

Having a meltdown...PS very rough draft, and only have 1 LOR total and it’s from another specialty (applying FM). No clue when the writers will finish/if they know the deadline.

Thoughts on sending a polite email updating that you submitted your app for ERAS which opens tomorrow (so the letter writers know how urgent it is?)

Having a meltdown...PS very rough draft, and only have 1 LOR total and it’s from another specialty (applying FM). No clue when the writers will finish/if they know the deadline.

Thoughts on sending a polite email updating that you submitted your app for ERAS which opens tomorrow (so the letter writers know how urgent it is?)

ABSOLUTELY send polite email.

Reactions: 1 users
Any thoughts, y'all. Not trying to take over thread but I'd be forever thankful for some thoughts on this point.

Wondering if should just blanket four letters and hope that I don't break any rules.
I would just send the maximum of 4 to all programs. If a program is going to screen you out if they ask for max of 3 and you send 4, then I don't think that's the culture that you want to be in. And if I were you, I would do letter #1-#4, and disregard #5. Just my two-cents.

I would just send the maximum of 4 to all programs. If a program is going to screen you out if they ask for max of 3 and you send 4, then I don't think that's the culture that you want to be in. And if I were you, I would do letter #1-#4, and disregard #5. Just my two-cents.

Thank you. This was very helpful. I appreciate your time in replying.

same boat here. i didn't realize i would have to wait for NBME to submit my transcript. pg 11 of the ERAS user guide says

"Exam transcript requests are usually processed on the same-day but under special circumstances, it can take up to 5 business days from the date of your request for exam score transcripts to be processed and made available to programs. When new transcript scores are uploaded, the most recent upload date will display in MyERAS."

anyone know if we will still be marked complete as of 9/15?

Reactions: 1 users
My statement doesn't quite fill up the preview page...is that awkward? I feel like it says what I want it to and adding more to fluff it up to a full page would dilute it.

My statement doesn't quite fill up the preview page...is that awkward? I feel like it says what I want it to and adding more to fluff it up to a full page would dilute it.

I think that short and to the point is always better than droning and long-winded. I would certainly not add just for the sake of adding if you feel that it is solid.

Future applicant here:

Can someone tell me how to select LOR writers and how that is tied to ur choice of speciality?
and when do your majority of LOR come from? 3rd year? and some 4th year?

Any difference between submitting on 15th vs before 15th?

Any difference between submitting on 15th vs before 15th?
Hard to say. N=1 but the IM program director at my school last year downloaded applications first thing at 9am on the 15th (which was a Saturday)

Guys, one of the letters of rec I labeled on ERAS was department chair but the letter writer is not department chair but instead a program director. I realized this now after the writer uploaded the letter, but is this a huge mistake? I believe he wrote his title on the actual letter. Should I still send this letter out?

**urgent request / question***

LOR is still not released in ERAS application. All letter are already uploaded by writers. can the applicant submit today and then the LOR can be released later?

Ugh... Are you a clone who is both a third and fourth year? If you're a third year go away and stop cluttering up our panic thread.
Sorry I am writing for a IMG friend who is right here with me...across.

WTF so the consensus is that people are not using white coat photos for ERAS photos? Why did I not know this until now? My school keeps telling us to use white coat photos. Does it really matter that much or do I have to have a photoshoot in my room tonight?

WTF so the consensus is that people are not using white coat photos for ERAS photos? Why did I not know this until now? My school keeps telling us to use white coat photos. Does it really matter that much or do I have to have a photoshoot in my room tonight?
It doesn’t matter. White coat photo is fine.

Last minute PS panic. Anyone want to take a quick look?
Happy to do the same for anyone else in the same neurotic boat ;)

anyone know if we will still be marked complete as of 9/15?

I friggin hope it will be marked complete. I didn’t even think about this and I’m bummed.

Guys, one of the letters of rec I labeled on ERAS was department chair but the letter writer is not department chair but instead a program director. I realized this now after the writer uploaded the letter, but is this a huge mistake? I believe he wrote his title on the actual letter. Should I still send this letter out?

If you are applying to programs that require chair letter I feel like this could cause some confusion. I don’t want you to lose the submission before 9/15. Surely this has happened to someone else that has insight?

Is there like an actual recertification button on ERAS? One of the rec letters just came in, but I already applied to programs a couple of hours ago. I assigned the letter that just came in, but is there a "recertify" button or thing I have to do? I remember my Dean telling our class to always "recertify" whenever you upload any additional stuff or programs won't see it or something. Any thoughts?

I friggin hope it will be marked complete. I didn’t even think about this and I’m bummed.

If you are applying to programs that require chair letter I feel like this could cause some confusion. I don’t want you to lose the submission before 9/15. Surely this has happened to someone else that has insight?
I do have a department chair letter though, and labeled correctly. So basically I have 2 labeled department chairs but one of them is just from a preceptor that is a program director

my USMLE transcript request went through in about an hour tonight so it seems like it won't be an issue as long as you upload your app sometime tonight

Is there like an actual recertification button on ERAS? One of the rec letters just came in, but I already applied to programs a couple of hours ago. I assigned the letter that just came in, but is there a "recertify" button or thing I have to do? I remember my Dean telling our class to always "recertify" whenever you upload any additional stuff or programs won't see it or something. Any thoughts?
Just assign it to programs. There is no rectifying.

Oh great, my debit card keeps getting denied. It's a mastercard, what the hell is going on!? Anyone else with the same problem?

Edit: tried different browsers, 100 different things, nothing. Fortunately, my brother came through. It may have to do with the sum being so large my bank probably wants pre-auth. Applying to 75 programs FTL.

Last edited: