MD co ‘20 Residency Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've received from a community IM program stating they will look at apps end of September and begins sending interviews out throughout October.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that if you haven't got an interview on the second day of submitting your ERAS that your chances for residency are shot.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
I've received from a community IM program stating they will look at apps end of September and begins sending interviews out throughout October.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that if you haven't got an interview on the second day of submitting your ERAS that your chances for residency are shot.
Same for a peds program this evening.

Double nuclear: I also set up the native mail app on iphone to sound a ringtone everytime I get mail.
Wish me luck guys, I'm going triple nuclear cause the crappy iphone mail app wasn't consistently ringing with incoming mail. Hopefully I don't give any patients epilepsy tomorrow when 3 of my mail apps all start ringing.

gmail + mail + outlook

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not an issue, they will see it anyway. Lots of people choose incorrectly.

If you submit a second PS, it replaces the first. If a program has already saved your app as a PDF or printed it on paper, they will have the old one. Else, they will just see the new one.

Regarding personalizing PS's -- IMHO it's only helpful if you really have a connection to a program or area. Every year a few people just decide to add our program's name to their PS, and it's clear they will just put another program's name into the same spot for each place they apply. This is fooling no one, and not helping you at all. Saying generic things like "you have great research opportnities" or "I saw your fellowship match and it was great" are really meaningless. And if you send the wrong PS to the program, that's a disaster.

What's your opinion on a personalized paragraph at the end detailing specific features I like about the program? I did that for some programs.

I got a call from a program but they didn’t leave a voicemail and calling back led to an automated system. I should have just taken the call in the middle of an appointment lol

Surgery here applying couples with IM. We have no replies received and one offer between two of us from home program. I wouldn’t sweat it. I’m telling myself that these fields maybe do less of the “we received your app” emails.

Applying surgery with IM as back up. I am worried that my step scores are not good enough (Step 1 is low 230’s). I haven’t receive one single email even acknowledging that they received my apps. Looks like a number of folks here got the confirmation email. I checked ERAS and it shows that I have applied to the programs. Wonder why I didn’t receive a single email so far.

Reactions: 1 user
I got a call from a program but they didn’t leave a voicemail and calling back led to an automated system. I should have just taken the call in the middle of an appointment lol
Programs will call you? I thought it was all by email

Programs will call you? I thought it was all by email
I figure the program director can decide they contact candidates in whichever way they please, which is fun...

Thread is made solely for the realization that applications get submitted in about a week and that our entire life’s work all essentially leads up into whether or not we match in this God-forsaken process.

Welcome to your existential crisis!!!

How y’all coping????
Don't forget residency application.

Wish me luck guys, I'm going triple nuclear cause the crappy iphone mail app wasn't consistently ringing with incoming mail. Hopefully I don't give any patients epilepsy tomorrow when 3 of my mail apps all start ringing.

gmail + mail + outlook

I like the progression of your thought process and you went from “haha simple notification” to “I’m planning to attach a chip into my brain to shock me every time a program thinks about downloading my app”

Reactions: 4 users
What's your opinion on a personalized paragraph at the end detailing specific features I like about the program? I did that for some programs.

Granted this is an N=1 but someone on the EM forum asked the exact same question and an EM PD said that it wasn't necessary and can kind of come off as disingenuous. Basically, it's clear that you're brown-nosing to multiple programs

---------------

An aside, you guys are being absolutely ridiculous and sound like premeds on the school forum pages LOL. There's absolutely nothing you can do now that the application has been submitted, save maybe sending an email. Let. It. Go. And let the process play itself out. It's only post-submission day 3

still missing an LOR and the attending's on the floor all week. seeing IV's sent out and your app not even being seen is gut-wrenching. woof

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m still waiting on one LOR. I only have 2 uploaded...am I screwed?? Looking into internal med

Just realized I never authorized my photo release lolololololol
Didn't realize I needed to do that. Also 1 program somehow didn't have my comlex scores.

Welp. 10/10, won't match now. Am screwed. :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Didn't realize I needed to do that. Also 1 program somehow didn't have my comlex scores.

That sucks but I’m sure it happens all the time. Lol

• Haha
So sorry this is such a stressful time! Not all programs send out invites immediately. Hang in there everyone...it will all work out!

I applied to all the programs I was interested on the 14th. However, I recently found 1 or 2 more that I would consider. If I apply to those programs now though, will it change the date that I submitted my application to today the 17th? Just don't want to risk that happening.

I applied to all the programs I was interested on the 14th. However, I recently found 1 or 2 more that I would consider. If I apply to those programs now though, will it change the date that I submitted my application to today the 17th? Just don't want to risk that happening.

Not for the rest of your apps i dont think. Just those two programs would see it was transmitted the 17th

Wait what does authorize mean? I just uploaded and assigned mine, was there another step?

No its by program. I just had an alert today from one that their program isn't accepting applications, they accidentally had it classified as advanced. The new correct categorial has a submit date of 9/17. Everything other program is still 9/15. Also releasing my picture didnt change the submit date to programs.

No its by program. I just had an alert today from one that their program isn't accepting applications, they accidentally had it classified as advanced. The new correct categorial has a submit date of 9/17. Everything other program is still 9/15. Also releasing my picture didnt change the submit date to programs.

Great, thanks for the info!

Feeling panicked today over not knowing CS result. Helpppp

Got my first interview invite this morning (IM)! Which was especially important as a morale boost because last night I got a rejection letter from family lol

Got an interview invite for Peds! Was also slightly panicked (appropriate for this thread ). I’m still waiting for two LoRs to be uploaded but this goes to show, submit and apply on sept 15th, even if you are waiting for LoR! You may get interviews before they are uploaded!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
ITT: people patting themselves on the back.

Give me more panicking.

Sitting here watching everyone getting interview invites and I still have not heard anything gives me the sinking feeling that it will be a repeat of my med school application days where I have to apply multiple cycles to get somewhere. Feeling quite discouraged right now....

Reactions: 7 users
Sitting here watching everyone getting interview invites and I still have not heard anything gives me the sinking feeling that it will be a repeat of my med school application days where I have to apply multiple cycles to get somewhere. Feeling quite discouraged right now....
I mean to be fair I think the bulk of interviews are coming later. There’s no need for total despair yet

A lot of programs don't send out interviews until they receive MSPE so don’t feel discouraged.

Agree with others that many schools wait for the MSPE and it calmed me down a bit to look at when schools sent out invites last year, specifically the ones I applied too. However, I'm in the same boat and it hurts to check the spreadsheet and notice that a couple schools that I applied to invited people, just not me.

I found the psych google doc and saw some of the programs I applied to have sent invites and I didn’t get them.
Time to wallow in self pity while eating cookie dough.

I’m not cut out for this process y’all. :laugh:

Reactions: 10 users
I found the psych google doc and saw some of the programs I applied to have sent invites and I didn’t get them.
Time to wallow in self pity while eating cookie dough.

I’m not cut out for this process y’all. :laugh:
Oh god, found one for peds. F*** that I don't need that kind of anxiety.

Also realistically they'll still send out invites in the coming weeks.

Reactions: 1 users
So, like, if I see many programs I applied to have already sent out interviews and I didn't get those is that as clear cut as it appears? Or, do some programs actually send out interviews in waves? Anyone know?

So, like, if I see many programs I applied to have already sent out interviews and I didn't get those is that as clear cut as it appears? Or, do some programs actually send out interviews in waves? Anyone know?

i do think they send out invites in waves. the programs i have scheduled with through interview broker still have a lot of spots available, which to me indicates that they'll be sending more invites in the days/weeks to come.

i do think they send out invites in waves. the programs i have scheduled with through interview broker still have a lot of spots available, which to me indicates that they'll be sending more invites in the days/weeks to come.

Ive noticed that as well. Few dates had a waitlist.

Interview broker and these other services...do we need accounts with them to know we have invites or do the programs that use these reach out via email?

hi, DO applicant here. Was wondering what exactly is interview broker?

Interview broker and these other services...do we need accounts with them to know we have invites or do the programs that use these reach out via email?

You get a link designed for you via email

• Love
What’s up with places sending out secondaries. Do these guarantee an interview

hi, DO applicant here. Was wondering what exactly is interview broker?
Just an interview scheduling service programs use, along with the aamc/ eras and thalamus