This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RogueBanana

ヽ(´ー`)ノ
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've posted this before, and I'm sure i'll post it again at some point during this cycle, but chill out.

Seriously, its the beginning of September, and there's already threads of people asking how many IIs they should have. By any standard, it is still very early in the cycle. Some schools won't even begin interviewing until october, others have just started interviewing now. As LizzyM has posted before, if Thanksgiving comes and you still haven't heard anything, then you can start worrying. That means you have almost 3 months until you can reasonably start thinking about sending update letters. SDN has a really strong selection bias, meaning that most of the people that post here are going to post their positive results. For every post you see of someone with 21 IIs (looking at you @doctorbob23) There are at least 100 people who haven't heard anything at all yet. As they say, it isn't over, till it's over. Unless you have hard rejections from 50% of your school list, you have nothing to worry about at the moment.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 24 users
I'm still waiting for my MCAT score (hopefully coming tomorrow). I only plan to send secondaries after that...

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump this thread. Us Pre-meds can be an anxious bunch.

Very well said. A friend of mine who applied in the year before me received one interview in March. He is now a second year medical student. Anybody, especially those who are worried about getting interviews, is always welcome to PM me if you are feeling stressed or overwhelmed about applying...I have been through the process myself and know how bad it can get.

A quote from my favorite TV show: "This guy's walking down the street when he falls in a hole. The walls are so steep he can't get out. A doctor passes by and the guy shouts up, 'Hey you. Can you help me out?' The doctor writes a prescription, throws it down in the hole and moves on. Then a priest comes along and the guy shouts up, 'Father, I'm down in this hole, can you help me out?' The priest writes out a prayer, throws it down in the hole and moves on. Then a friend walks by, 'Hey, Joe, it's me, can you help me out?' And the friend jumps in the hole. Our guy says, 'Are you stupid? Now we're both down here.' The friend says, 'Yeah, but I've been down here before and I know the way out.'

Last edited:
Reactions: 23 users
Man, you bananas are very supportive

Reactions: 2 users
Very well said. A friend of mine who applied in the year before me received one interview in March. He is now a second year medical student. Anybody, especially those who are worried about getting interviews, is always welcome to PM me if you are feeling stressed or overwhelmed about applying...I have been through the process myself and know how bad it can get.

A quote from my favorite TV show: "This guy's walking down the street when he falls in a hole. The walls are so steep he can't get out. A doctor passes by and the guy shouts up, 'Hey you. Can you help me out?' The doctor writes a prescription, throws it down in the hole and moves on. Then a priest comes along and the guy shouts up, 'Father, I'm down in this hole can you help me out?' The priest writes out a prayer, throws it down in the hole and moves on. Then a friend walks by, 'Hey, Joe, it's me can you help me out?' And the friend jumps in the hole. Our guy says, 'Are you stupid? Now we're both down here.' The friend says, 'Yeah, but I've been down here before and I know the way out.'
West Wing always has all the answers

Reactions: 3 users
Can our mods sticky this???

I've posted this before, and I'm sure i'll post it again at some point during this cycle, but chill out.

Seriously, its the beginning of September, and there's already threads of people asking how many IIs they should have. By any standard, it is still very early in the cycle. Some schools won't even begin interviewing until october, others have just started interviewing now. As LizzyM has posted before, if Thanksgiving comes and you still haven't heard anything, then you can start worrying. That means you have almost 3 months until you can reasonably start thinking about sending update letters. SDN has a really strong selection bias, meaning that most of the people that post here are going to post their positive results. For every post you see of someone with 21 IIs (looking at you @doctorbob23) There are at least 100 people who haven't heard anything at all yet. As they say, it isn't over, till it's over. Unless you have hard rejections from 50% of your school list, you have nothing to worry about at the moment.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your post. Gives relief to those of us who are still filling out secondaries.

My post being stickied by SDN legend Goro?

It must be very.....

*puts on sunglasses*

apPEELing.

Im here all week.

EDIT* This pun was already made. I guess there's a BUNCH of us Bananas on this thread. :banana:

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Im sweating bullets over here. Knees weak moms spaghetti.

Reactions: 4 users
Arms heavy
Palms sweaty
Secondaries ready
AAMC acting like Freddy
Kruger, holding the Ruger
Keeping us Pre-Meds in a stupor
Checking our computers
Nonstop, brain going flipity flop
Can't wait for my MCAT score to Drop
+pissed+

Reactions: 16 users
This thread makes me want to me a doctor even more...if i get to work with just 1 of the authors of these puns...i think i will have a good life.
At the very least, you'll have plenty of potassium. :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
How do you know we aren't from Khazakstan?
Do you know where our lab is???!?
WHO DO YOU WORK FOR??!?!?

Reactions: 1 user
Grades are up fellers...

great post, people do need to calm down. I'm not concerned about having 0 med school II though, I've just been losing sleep over my McDonald's applications. I don't have II from 3 McDonald's locations I applied to, but I'm not freaking out too much because I know its early!

for anyone who still hasnt submitted or feels overwhelmed, its still pretty early in the McApp 2016-2017 season. It takes about 3 weeks to verify your primary McApp, and secondaries don't have too many essays, so its quick. You just need to shadow a McDonalds employee and get a LOR from them detailing your personal qualities and compassion

Reactions: 7 users
Lol you can say that again.
The coincidence it'll be if he gets 26 IIs (I think that's his age)
Once you start medical school, nobody will care about how many interviews you got, what your GPA was, what your MCAT was, or where you went to college. For better or for worse, everybody is on equal footing--it is a clean slate!

Reactions: 1 user
Once you start medical school, nobody will care about how many interviews you got, what your GPA was, what your MCAT was, or where you went to college. For better or for worse, everybody is on equal footing--it is a clean slate!

You mean to tell me I wont be able to pick up chicks with my early IIs? How else will I, a genetically modified banana, impress the ladies?
:shifty:

I usually just show them my gills but I guess you don't have the fish modification.
Life can be so cruel sometimes. I guess I just have to wait and hope I get the fish mods in the next vector update....

*calms down*

*sees poster created this thread the day he got his first II*

Ahh yes. Easy to not freak out when you're no longer in the boat.

Reactions: 8 users
I've never clicked like on so many consecutive posts in my life.

So... many... banana... jokes. :sendoff:

JK, loved it. :caution:

*calms down*

I can't like this enough...The same ones that are panicking one day are telling everyone to chill out as the book their coveted interview date the next.

But with that being said, I applied June 17th, 2015 last year...I got in on June 21st, 2016...An entire year passed before I was granted my one and only acceptance. Unless you are an absolute stud muffin (be realistic with yourself--more of you aren't than are on here contrary to what many of you like to think) it is veryyyyy early on in the cycle and your II's will come in the next month or 2 after they have finished interviewing top-priority candidates.

Whether you get in day 1, or have it drag out until the very end, try to be as patient as you can (hard I know) and keep trying to better yourself inside and outside the world of medicine to pass the time. Most importantly have belief in yourself that you deserve this chance, bc the large majority of you do.

I have and will continue to wish all of this year's applicants the best of luck.

Reactions: 11 users
great post, people do need to calm down. I'm not concerned about having 0 med school II though, I've just been losing sleep over my McDonald's applications. I don't have II from 3 McDonald's locations I applied to, but I'm not freaking out too much because I know its early!

for anyone who still hasnt submitted or feels overwhelmed, its still pretty early in the McApp 2016-2017 season. It takes about 3 weeks to verify your primary McApp, and secondaries don't have too many essays, so its quick. You just need to shadow a McDonalds employee and get a LOR from them detailing your personal qualities and compassion
Hey buddy you make these apps look easy. Have you forgotten the caspr style 100 question survey for each job post? Now that is hard,

Hey buddy you make these apps look easy. Have you forgotten the caspr style 100 question survey for each job post? Now that is hard,

You want to be a McDoctor (MD) too?! Nice! they say Burger King is more "prestigious", but I value the more approach McDonald's uses with their customers, so I didnt even apply to BK. When a customer approaches a BK employee and says theres a hair in her food, the BK employee just covers up the hair without considering the whole-picture.
A McDonalds employee would however consider all aspects of the burger before treating the hair. Keep that in mind for the McCasper. You'll be challenged.

You want to be a McDoctor (MD) too?! Nice! they say Burger King is more "prestigious", but I value the more approach McDonald's uses with their customers, so I didnt even apply to BK. When a customer approaches a BK employee and says theres a hair in her food, the BK employee just covers up the hair without considering the whole-picture.
A McDonalds employee would however consider all aspects of the burger before treating the hair. Keep that in mind for the McCasper. You'll be challenged.
No man, I'm looking into retail, I can't compete with mcdreamy.

*calms down*

Fun fact, I received the II about 3 weeks ago. I simply updated my signature with my most recent rejection. So technically I made this post the day I got rejected.

*Reads thread while eating banana

Reactions: 1 users
Fun fact, I received the II about 3 weeks ago. I simply updated my signature with my most recent rejection. So technically I made this post the day I got rejected.

I'm not diminishing the value of your post; I absolutely agree with everything you are saying. I just wonder if you would have made the thread if you didn't have any II yet, ya know?

I'm not diminishing the value of your post; I absolutely agree with everything you are saying. I just wonder if you would have made the thread if you didn't have any II yet, ya know?

I didn't take offense don't worry. I actually have posted similar comments before I got my II, (in the GW 2017 thread) which is why I said "I've posted this before." I'm not sitting up here in an ivory tower thinking I'm better than anyone! I was very fortunate to get an early II, but I did not expect it. I have 19 more schools to hear back from, so as far as I'm concerned I'm in the same boat as most people. (Completely in the dark) I still worry every day if I'll hear back from any more schools. This post was to remind myself, and everyone else, that this is a marathon and we're all running together. In the words of the warrior poet zyzz "we're all gonna make it brah"

I didn't take offense don't worry. I actually have posted similar comments before I got my II, (in the GW 2017 thread) which is why I said "I've posted this before." I'm not sitting up here in an ivory tower thinking I'm better than anyone! I was very fortunate to get an early II, but I did not expect it. I have 19 more schools to hear back from, so as far as I'm concerned I'm in the same boat as most people. (Completely in the dark) I still worry every day if I'll hear back from any more schools. This post was to remind myself, and everyone else, that this is a marathon and we're all running together. In the words of the warrior poet zyzz "we're all gonna make it brah"

I know you mean well and your post was one of the best I've read on this site in a while.

This process has made me quite cynical, though. My apologies.

Buuuuuuuuuuump

Its mid october broh,
Still a month and a half broh
Plenty of time for good things to happen broh.

Ricky ticky taaaaack

I'm rogue bananaaaaaa

(yes that was a rick & morty reference, I'm not insane I promise)