Extension of Underdogs Thread MCAT 24 or less

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got accepted to LMUs post bacc. I'm pretty excited about that! Still no med school ii yet.

I interviewed at lucom last cycle and was wait listed. This cycle, even with better stats I haven't gotten a secondary, to which the school told me that they "are in a different position this year and have about 3x the number of applications." Kind of upsetting but I'm in the same boat with ya.
Stats?

Members don't see this ad.

Did you update with your lmu interview? Too lazy to look back.

When r u interviewing?
Jan 23. I called Robin and left a message last wednesday. I haven't heard anything though. I'm probably going to call again next week to make sure she got my message. I figure since the holidays she hasn't had time to look.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jan 23. I called Robin and left a message last wednesday. I haven't heard anything though. I'm probably going to call again next week to make sure she got my message. I figure since the holidays she hasn't had time to look.

So you are on the 23rd for sure? If so, welcome to the club :)

No ties. 3.7cgpa 3.64 sGPA, 8/7/9 MCAT . no rural experience really, but undergrad was in a city of 10k

Hello everyone
I would like to present my case to you and would like to receive comments/feedback/advice from any and/or all of you.
I graduated with B.S in Spring 2009 with degree in Nutrition and Biological Sciences , entered master's program in 2009. I completed the MS program in late 2011. From the beginning of the master's program I joined a research lab where I eventually completed a master's thesis and had several publications. I continued doing research until about mid-2012. my undergrad cGPA was 3.34 and graduate (M.S studies) GPA was 3.5 I then started working in hospital to gain clinical experience and simultaneously obtained EMT certification and joined local first aid squad. In between 2012 and now I have taken MCAT three times. First attempt was 24 second was 26 and last one was unfortunately 23. One particular section that I took most hit was verbal. Currently, I am still working at a hospital and volunteer EMT at a local first aid squad. I am still as ever motivated, if not more to attend medical school. I am still hopeful for osteopathic schools. I have never applied thus far
Please advice/comment. I would really appreciate any feedback.

Hello everyone
I would like to present my case to you and would like to receive comments/feedback/advice from any and/or all of you.
I graduated with B.S in Spring 2009 with degree in Nutrition and Biological Sciences , entered master's program in 2009. I completed the MS program in late 2011. From the beginning of the master's program I joined a research lab where I eventually completed a master's thesis and had several publications. I continued doing research until about mid-2012. my undergrad cGPA was 3.34 and graduate (M.S studies) GPA was 3.5 I then started working in hospital to gain clinical experience and simultaneously obtained EMT certification and joined local first aid squad. In between 2012 and now I have taken MCAT three times. First attempt was 24 second was 26 and last one was unfortunately 23. One particular section that I took most hit was verbal. Currently, I am still working at a hospital and volunteer EMT at a local first aid squad. I am still as ever motivated, if not more to attend medical school. I am still hopeful for osteopathic schools. I have never applied thus far
Please advice/comment. I would really appreciate any feedback.

yeah i think you could get in to multiple schools if you apply broadly and early.

what is your overall cumulative GPA including undergrad and masters? somewhere around a 3.42 or something like that? also what is your overall science GPA?

what about physician shadowing? letters of rec since you've been out of school for a while could be slightly more difficult.
what about non-clinical volunteering?

what were your subscores like for all three MCATs?

yeah i think you could get in to multiple schools if you apply broadly and early.

what is your overall cumulative GPA including undergrad and masters? somewhere around a 3.42 or something like that? also what is your overall science GPA?

what about physician shadowing? letters of rec since you've been out of school for a while could be slightly more difficult.
what about non-clinical volunteering?

what were your subscores like for all three MCATs?
I have been an ER scribe since finishing my master's program. If you're familiar with scribing i basically follow either D.O/M.D physician during any given work shift for about 10-12 hours a day. So, i have letters from physicians, from both D.O and M.D along with letters from my research advisors, undergrad prof and others. As far as the non-clinical volunteering is concerned, i just joined American Red Cross and now beginning to get involved. My MCAT scores were 9/7/8, 8/8/10, 8/4/11. Yea, the VR scores for third exam was total shocker b/c my practice scores were def not low. Anything else you can suggest to improve my application?? Thanks again for the feedback

the 4 could cause you some problems. i don't know what the general trend is for most DO schools, but i know there are a few ways schools can treat multiple MCAT attempts:
1) take the best overall score (sort of prevalent, but less than #2 i believe)
2) take the latest score (the most prevalent i believe)
3) take the best score from each section and put them together into a "superscore" (ie your 9 in PS from the first attempt, 8 in VR from your second attempt, and your 11 in BS from your third attempt resulting in a 28) (not super prevalent)

I do not know how they will treat seeing a 4 as that is usually an auto-reject at most schools. Even if they use method #1 or #3, idk if the 4 will still cause you problems or not.

I'm familiar with the scribe position, but don't know if it counts as shadowing since you are employed. Will have to have someone else chime in or if you know for sure. Just not an area I am super familiar with.

Keep it going with the non-clinical volunteering. Get some sort of fun non-clin volunteering too if you can. Even just a few hours a week or month even. I volunteer at an ~art exhibit, but they do more than art.. basically they focus on the creative process in general so we get exhibits from video game design, mobile architecture (think mobile homes brought into the modern/hipster world haha), high class furniture, etc.

What about hobbies? I powerlift competitively but basically just for a hobby and my two interviews thus far (one DO and one MD) have spent a good chunk of time talking about that and i've only been been doing it for about 2 years with two competitions.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have been an ER scribe since finishing my master's program. If you're familiar with scribing i basically follow either D.O/M.D physician during any given work shift for about 10-12 hours a day. So, i have letters from physicians, from both D.O and M.D along with letters from my research advisors, undergrad prof and others. As far as the non-clinical volunteering is concerned, i just joined American Red Cross and now beginning to get involved. My MCAT scores were 9/7/8, 8/8/10, 8/4/11. Yea, the VR scores for third exam was total shocker b/c my practice scores were def not low. Anything else you can suggest to improve my application?? Thanks again for the feedback

Retake it a 4th time.

i would take it the 4th time if there is an opening for any current exam. Besides thay anything else you can suggest? Thanks for the feedback

Consider a post bacc or linkage program. Or maybe emt or cna in a nursing home?

I mean we can hope that most schools will consider just your best scores. But many more will not.

Consider a post bacc or linkage program. Or maybe emt or cna in a nursing home?

I mean we can hope that most schools will consider just your best scores. But many more will not.
i actually completed a Master's in biomedical sciences and i am currently an EMT volunteering for first aid squad

i actually completed a Master's in biomedical sciences and i am currently an EMT volunteering for first aid squad

Then your application is already fine. The only issue is the one thing that everything else cannot make up for. Your mcat.

ii at WVSOM. Withdrawing though.

1. Quote the most recent post with the thread's poster's stats
2. Add your relevant stats at the end of the list
3. Delete the quote tags and post
4. If you have an II to add, simply repeat the procedure but update your spot in the list
-----------------------------------------------------------
*liquid hue 3.17cGPA, 3.26sGPA, 24 MCAT (8,8,8). II at ACOM
*aspdr-3.75 cGPA, 3.72sGPA, 23 MCAT (VR<7).II at WVSOM, LMU-DCOM,PNWU and VCOM-CC
*Baxt1412 - 3.7 cGPA, 3.6 cGPA, 24 MCAT (8/7/9). II at UNMC (MD), VCOM-AU, LMU, accepted VCOM-AU
*OsteopathicHopeful- 3.44 cGPA, 3.65 sGPA, 22 MCAT (6/6/10). II LMU-DCOM
*shinobiz11 - 3.6 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 24 (8/6/10) | ii MUCOM, LMU-DCOM, CMed (MD), WVSOM | Accepted LMU-DCOM
*williamsfan- 3.9 GPA 23 MCAT (7/8/8) | Accepted OU-HCOM
*ItsTime619 - 3.5 cGPA, 3.5sGPA 22 MCAT (8/7/7) | ii at Rowan-SOM, Liberty, WVSOM

Last edited:

Last edited:
Hey guys, I posted this already but did not get many replies, I guess I just need some encouragement and advice:).
Got my MCAT scores back and it's pretty bad: 24 ( 6VR, 8PS, 10BS). English is not my first language, and it's my weakest area. I had to drive 5 hours to take a test that morning, and I guess I was just so tired and nervous that I totally bombed it plus there was a wind storm and our power went out two times during my Verbal Section...... My overall GPA is 3.73 and science GPA is 3.68. I have around 100 times of volunteering in the ER, an active volunteer in Ukrainian community and charities, tutored Organic Chemistry back in college. I have around total of 70 hours of shadowing (for now, shadowed an endocrinologist (50 hours), pain doctor, and plastic surgeon), and I am currently working full time in Neuroscience Institute closely with medical staff, and I am planning to shadow our neurosurgeon and pa as well.
I don' even look at MD programs... however do you think I have any chances at DO schools?
PS. I am retaking MCAT in a month and applying in June.

I have the same MCAT, 4 interviews so far (3 DO, 1 MD) and accepted. Besides my MCAT, my app is very competitive though. I think you'll be fine if you apply early and smart.

Hey guys, I posted this already but did not get many replies, I guess I just need some encouragement and advice:).
Got my MCAT scores back and it's pretty bad: 24 ( 6VR, 8PS, 10BS). English is not my first language, and it's my weakest area. I had to drive 5 hours to take a test that morning, and I guess I was just so tired and nervous that I totally bombed it plus there was a wind storm and our power went out two times during my Verbal Section...... My overall GPA is 3.73 and science GPA is 3.68. I have around 100 times of volunteering in the ER, an active volunteer in Ukrainian community and charities, tutored Organic Chemistry back in college. I have around total of 70 hours of shadowing (for now, shadowed an endocrinologist (50 hours), pain doctor, and plastic surgeon), and I am currently working full time in Neuroscience Institute closely with medical staff, and I am planning to shadow our neurosurgeon and pa as well.
I don' even look at MD programs... however do you think I have any chances at DO schools?
PS. I am retaking MCAT in a month and applying in June.
chances of getting in are exceptional. apply broadly but skip the midwestern's and touro's.

Hope we start getting some more good news in here guys

So, I guess I'll be interviewing Feb 6 :( at LMU-DCOM. I thought I was interviewing Jan 23, I was too late in responding. I was wondering what you guys thought was considered LATE in the interview cycle. I feel like Feb is really late and that it will only make my chances slimmer. I wanna get a couple more interviews too.

So....How does it feel to be accepted? I'm really happy for ya. I just hope I can be so privileged.
So, I guess I'll be interviewing Feb 6 :( at LMU-DCOM. I thought I was interviewing Jan 23, I was too late in responding. I was wondering what you guys thought was considered LATE in the interview cycle. I feel like Feb is really late and that it will only make my chances slimmer. I wanna get a couple more interviews too.

You will be alright, feeling bad about the interview before you have it is only gonna make it worse so that won't help anything.

Being accepted is very reassuring just to know I have somewhere to go next year. It helps that it is a school that will match well with my own personal goals if they stay true to what they are hyping up

Dang that sux. I think you should contact them every couple of weeks to see if earlier spots opened in Jan maybe. Regarding the other schools, I don't think we're going to hear anything until January. Right now it seems like they're hunkering down on the deposits and such, once they get all the numbers in then it's holiday break.

sooo... i don't think i can post here anymore since i got my 11/7 retake scores back.. but i will still be following you guys! i know you will get good news!!! i got in with a 24 and there is still hope!

sooo... i don't think i can post here anymore since i got my 11/7 retake scores back.. but i will still be following you guys! i know you will get good news!!! i got in with a 24 and there is still hope!
What were your retakes.....and you can always repost in here :)

I got a 10/10/10 trifecta. Was basically averaging a 28 so I am surprised and refreshed a few times to make sure it wasn't an error lol

Reactions: 4 users
rechecked my score this morning. still a 10/10/10.. i can't believe it lol.
i improved my percentile from ~39.85 to ~75.40!!! (averaging the percentile range they give us for the composite score)
my most improved section in regards to points was a +3 points since last time on PS.
my most improved section in regards to percentile (averaged again) was a 40.95 percentile increase in PS

i improved my percentile from ~39.85 to ~75.40!!! (averaging the percentile range they give us for the composite score)
my most improved section in regards to points was a +3 points since last time on PS.
my most improved section in regards to percentile (averaged again) was a 40.95 percentile increase in PS

Nice man. UNMC sounds like a sure fire acceptance now

Really upset i got put an post-interview hold at CMU. I thought the MMI went well and really liked the school. Basically means after they go thru the waitlist, then they'll look at my app. Well, now to send my $1250 deposit :smack:

Great job on the improvement man. I know it doesn't really matter too much since you already have an acceptance, but it'll make a great story when you're recounting your journey.

On a more somber note, anyone having any luck this time of year? Things got quiet as December came around. I feel like I shouldn't be expecting to hear anything else until January. It's getting late...

Great job on the improvement man. I know it doesn't really matter too much since you already have an acceptance, but it'll make a great story when you're recounting your journey.

On a more somber note, anyone having any luck this time of year? Things got quiet as December came around. I feel like I shouldn't be expecting to hear anything else until January. It's getting late...

Yeah a lot of the schools are getting busy with finals. So tough to say if we will hear anything this December.

That's what I was thinking. I'm just gonna kick back until January, then proceed to check my email every hour. :D

Plus its hard for committees to meet since ppl are in and out with holiday vacation, etc

Her guys! Just starting on this thread, I guess a common theme, I'm just looking for some reassurance. I applied as early as I could and haven't heard anything in a few months.
Here are my stats:
MCAT cumulative 24 (6P, 8B, 10V) 23 highest individual, my first take was the 23 and I was rejected by Lecom bradenton, retook and got a 20, really bad month family wise and working full time.

GPA: 3.8+
Graduating with honors research, magna cum laude and member of 5 total honor societies.
Leadership: director, executive board member and national position with AMSA; founding VP UNICEF club, various leadership with relay for life
Volunteering: literally over 1,000 hours various volunteering (tutoring, community events, etc.)
Shadowing: 100+ hours all with DO's
Worked with Kaplan test prep for 2+ years then as a medical assistant for a DO.
My research thesis will be published in my universities library soon and I'm seeking med journal publication next semester.

This cycle I've applied to Lecom bradenton, nova, ga-pcom, vcom Virginia, lmu-dcom and wvsom. I've been rejected by Lecom, but haven't heard anything from the other schools since my secondaries (which were completed early August).

I'm just getting frustrated and feel like my graduation from undergrad this week is all for nothing. Sorry for the long post, please help :(

Her guys! Just starting on this thread, I guess a common theme, I'm just looking for some reassurance. I applied as early as I could and haven't heard anything in a few months.
Here are my stats:
MCAT cumulative 24 (6P, 8B, 10V) 23 highest individual, my first take was the 23 and I was rejected by Lecom bradenton, retook and got a 20, really bad month family wise and working full time.

Graduating with honors research, magna cum laude and member of 5 total honor societies.
Leadership: director, executive board member and national position with AMSA; founding VP UNICEF club, various leadership with relay for life
Volunteering: literally over 1,000 hours various volunteering (tutoring, community events, etc.)
My research thesis will be published in my universities library soon and I'm seeking med journal publication next semester.

This cycle I've applied to Lecom bradenton, nova, ga-pcom, vcom Virginia, lmu-dcom and wvsom. I've been rejected by Lecom, but haven't heard anything from the other schools since my secondaries (which were completed early August).

I'm just getting frustrated and feel like my graduation from undergrad this week is all for nothing. Sorry for the long post, please help :(

Don't fret man, you'll get there. Lol like the rest of us, your app is stellar sans MCAT. Just be patient and relax for the next month. Read a couple of posts above and you'll see why. We're probably not going to hear any big news until January.

Here are my stats:

why didn't you apply to other less competitive schools? ACOM, WCU, SOMA, LECOM-E? I am glad to see you avoided Liberty, though.

UD's need to do their research beforehand and know how to apply properly/broadly enough if they are serious about maximizing their chances.

Hey guys! so I am new here and I have been following this forum for quite some time being an underdog myself! however I just had a question;

So I see that we are all very focused on the stats as we should be, after all it is somewhat of a numbers game right? But how come we rarely have EC and LOR information up? Does it really matter that little?
Again this is with respect to our stats, but wouldn't a well developed EC list be powerful in setting apart the applicant with a 24 MCAT and a 26 MCAT?

Thanks =)

Hey guys! so I am new here and I have been following this forum for quite some time being an underdog myself! however I just had a question;

So I see that we are all very focused on the stats as we should be, after all it is somewhat of a numbers game right? But how come we rarely have EC and LOR information up? Does it really matter that little?
Again this is with respect to our stats, but wouldn't a well developed EC list be powerful in setting apart the applicant with a 24 MCAT and a 26 MCAT?

Thanks =)

Stats get u an II. U can't get accepted without an interview but some times people skate by without incredible ECs

4. If you have an II to add, simply repeat the procedure but update your spot in the list
*aspdr-3.75 cGPA, 3.72sGPA, 23 MCAT (VR<7).II at WVSOM, LMU-DCOM,PNWU and VCOM-CC
*Baxt1412 - 3.7 cGPA, 3.6 cGPA, 24 MCAT (8/7/9). II at UNMC (MD), VCOM-Auburn, LMU
*OsteopathicHopeful- 3.44 cGPA, 3.65 sGPA, 22 MCAT (6/6/10)
*shinobiz11 - 3.6 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 24 (8/6/10) | ii MUCOM, LMU-DCOM, CMed (MD) | Accepted LMU-DCOM!
*ItsTime619 - 3.5 cGPA, 3.5sGPA 22 MCAT (8/7/7) | ii at Rowan-SOM, Liberty, WVSOM | Rowan-SOM WL

Rejected from RVUCOM lol, funny that they don't even send emails. You have to check the portal for updates and its been down for more than a month.

*Baxt1412 - 3.7 cGPA, 3.6 cGPA, 24 MCAT (8/7/9). II at UNMC (MD), VCOM-Auburn, LMU
*OsteopathicHopeful- 3.44 cGPA, 3.65 sGPA, 22 MCAT (6/6/10)
*shinobiz11 - 3.6 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 24 (8/6/10) | ii MUCOM, LMU-DCOM, CMed (MD) | Accepted LMU-DCOM!
*ItsTime619 - 3.5 cGPA, 3.5sGPA 22 MCAT (8/7/7) | ii at Rowan-SOM, Liberty, WVSOM | Rowan-SOM WL
*clinicall - 3.7 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA, 23 MCAT | ii WVSOM | Accepted WVSOM
Congrats man! You did it!

Rejected from RVUCOM lol, funny that they don't even send emails. You have to check the portal for updates and its been down for more than a month.

They told me I was boring.

Reactions: 3 users