This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
According to previous years’ threads, they have given out 140-150 interview

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know if the essay questions used each year are the same and if they are does anyone know them?

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if the essay questions used each year are the same and if they are does anyone know them?

For the past few years, they have been the same. Until the application opens in August, no one will know for sure.

Here are the questions for this cycle, but disclaimer: questions can change from cycle to cycle

1.) Please describe something in your life that has given you a great sense of personal, academic, or professional accomplishment.
2.) Please describe something in your life that has given you a great sense of personal, academic, or professional disappointment.
3.) Describe how FlexMed will change your educational plan and enhance your future career in medicine. Please concentrate on how you will use the flexibility afforded by FlexMed, and not on the FlexMed requirements.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey y’all, I’m planning on applying for the next cycle but I’m running short on the activities. Do you have to fill all 20 slots for the activities sections? And do you have a word limit to explain each activity?

Hey y’all, I’m planning on applying for the next cycle but I’m running short on the activities. Do you have to fill all 20 slots for the activities sections? And do you have a word limit to explain each activity?

No, you do not have to fill all 20 spots of the activities. And there is a word limit, but I do not remember what it is. All I remember is that out of the number of activities, you have to pick 3 meaningful activities. And the explanations for those have to be 150 or 300 words each.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if they will send the acceptances/rejections after July 1st or will we for sure have them by then?

Some brochures specifically mention decisions out by July 1st. Some just mention the month of July. Previous threads mention sometime between the first two weeks of July. Honestly, I would try to be patient and distract your mind.

There's no way it would come through over the weekend and I can relax my tingling spine until Monday, right?

There's no way it would come through over the weekend and I can relax my tingling spine until Monday, right?

I mean, some interview invites were sent over the weekend (on a Sunday, I believe), but I doubt they would release decisions this weekend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I was lucky enough to make it but it didn't have my name either

If you are unsure, you can check your application portal and it will display a message

Are any of the accepted applicants having trouble logging into the pre-matriculation portal

Yes, in my email, it had a generic username and password that I think was there because of the glitch with the names

Accepted! Version of acceptance letter on the portal. It is possible to enter using the username and password from the original application.

Yooo, if you got accepted and you post about it, throw #flexmed into the comments so we can find and add each other!

Can someone please tell me what the different essay prompts are (aside from the three that were mentioned (disappointment, achievement, and flexfactor))? How many essays/descriptions are there in total?

Also accepted earlier today!
#flexmed

Reactions: 2 users
For those who were rejected, has anybody considered calling to receive feedback on your application? Thoughts?

Reactions: 1 users
Did they release info on how many people were interviewed/accepted yet?

Hey everyone congrats again to everyone who was accepted! To everyone who was not, like me this cycle, I actually emailed Dr. Parkas for feedback and I was amazed that she took the time to give me a couple of tips that I would have otherwise overlooked when applying to the traditional cycle. So I def recommend reaching out to Dr. Parkas via email [email protected]. Def going to be applying the traditional cycle to Mt Sinai :)

Hi everyone, congrats to everyone who was accepted! I am interested in applying to flexmed this coming august, and was wondering if anyone was accepted as a traditional student (ex. biology/biomedical sciences major w/ traditional ECs like hospital volunteering and research) for particularly the flex factor. I feel like I have a pretty unique one but just looking for advice on how you framed your application and maybe some ways to strengthen that factor. Please pm me if you can help thanks!!

Flexmed ACT Question

Hey y'all. I have a potential issue. I scored relatively low on the ACT (29) due to English being my second language (immigrant from Eastern Europe in middle school).

I do have a 3.98/4.00 HS GPA and now that I just finished first year of University (in-state, non-ivy), 4.00/4.00 College GPA (first year Science Series finished: Physics with Calculus and General Chemistry). However, I've been taking University courses since Junior year of High School (finished A&P Series with highest scores when I was a HS Senior). My ECs/ leadership roles/ volunteering are great.

Flex factor would be Head of Science and Research for a start-up dealing with Algae blooms.

Will my ACT just throw me out completely during screening phase?

Thanks.

Flexmed ACT Question

Hey y'all. I have a potential issue. I scored relatively low on the ACT (29) due to English being my second language (immigrant from Eastern Europe in middle school).

I do have a 3.98/4.00 HS GPA and now that I just finished first year of University (in-state, non-ivy), 4.00/4.00 College GPA (first year Science Series finished: Physics with Calculus and General Chemistry). However, I've been taking University courses since Junior year of High School (finished A&P Series with highest scores when I was a HS Senior). My ECs/ leadership roles/ volunteering are great.

Flex factor would be Head of Science and Research for a start-up dealing with Algae blooms.

Thanks.

Having strong essays, grades, extra curricular activites, and recommendation letters, I feel is what is most important. It seems like youre doing well with that so keep up the good work!

And to give some context, I was accepted in the 2018 cycle with a 30 ACT from an in state public school so I dont think your score will be held against you in screening.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Having strong essays, grades, extra curricular activites, and recommendation letters, I feel is what is most important. It seems like youre doing well with that so keep up the good work!

And to give some context, I was accepted in the 2018 cycle with a 30 ACT from an in state public school.

Thanks for sharing that! That makes me more comfortable. Congratulations for being accepted!

Flexmed ACT Question

Thanks.

Hi I don't think you have anything to worry about. The selection process is truly holistic. You're not at a disadvantage SOLELY because your ACT is 29. I believe there's a section in the application where you're asked if there's anything else you would like the admissions committee to know that is not already in your application, so you could use that section to explain the ACT score (and I think your explanation is a good one). My advice is try to make other parts of your application more stellar so that when they come across you're ACT score, it'll simply seem as a minor deficiency compared to how excellent your overall application is!!