Apr 22, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
For those who were rejected, has anybody considered calling to receive feedback on your application? Thoughts?

Reactions: 1 users

futureoncodoctor27

5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2015
Hey everyone congrats again to everyone who was accepted! To everyone who was not, like me this cycle, I actually emailed Dr. Parkas for feedback and I was amazed that she took the time to give me a couple of tips that I would have otherwise overlooked when applying to the traditional cycle. So I def recommend reaching out to Dr. Parkas via email [email protected]. Def going to be applying the traditional cycle to Mt Sinai :)

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
Jul 5, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi everyone, congrats to everyone who was accepted! I am interested in applying to flexmed this coming august, and was wondering if anyone was accepted as a traditional student (ex. biology/biomedical sciences major w/ traditional ECs like hospital volunteering and research) for particularly the flex factor. I feel like I have a pretty unique one but just looking for advice on how you framed your application and maybe some ways to strengthen that factor. Please pm me if you can help thanks!!

Jul 13, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Flexmed ACT Question

Hey y'all. I have a potential issue. I scored relatively low on the ACT (29) due to English being my second language (immigrant from Eastern Europe in middle school).

I do have a 3.98/4.00 HS GPA and now that I just finished first year of University (in-state, non-ivy), 4.00/4.00 College GPA (first year Science Series finished: Physics with Calculus and General Chemistry). However, I've been taking University courses since Junior year of High School (finished A&P Series with highest scores when I was a HS Senior). My ECs/ leadership roles/ volunteering are great.

Flex factor would be Head of Science and Research for a start-up dealing with Algae blooms.

Will my ACT just throw me out completely during screening phase?

Thanks.

lab2018

2+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2018
Flexmed ACT Question

Hey y'all. I have a potential issue. I scored relatively low on the ACT (29) due to English being my second language (immigrant from Eastern Europe in middle school).

I do have a 3.98/4.00 HS GPA and now that I just finished first year of University (in-state, non-ivy), 4.00/4.00 College GPA (first year Science Series finished: Physics with Calculus and General Chemistry). However, I've been taking University courses since Junior year of High School (finished A&P Series with highest scores when I was a HS Senior). My ECs/ leadership roles/ volunteering are great.

Flex factor would be Head of Science and Research for a start-up dealing with Algae blooms.

Thanks.

Having strong essays, grades, extra curricular activites, and recommendation letters, I feel is what is most important. It seems like youre doing well with that so keep up the good work!

And to give some context, I was accepted in the 2018 cycle with a 30 ACT from an in state public school so I dont think your score will be held against you in screening.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Jul 13, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Having strong essays, grades, extra curricular activites, and recommendation letters, I feel is what is most important. It seems like youre doing well with that so keep up the good work!

And to give some context, I was accepted in the 2018 cycle with a 30 ACT from an in state public school.

Thanks for sharing that! That makes me more comfortable. Congratulations for being accepted!

Jul 1, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Flexmed ACT Question

Thanks.

Hi I don't think you have anything to worry about. The selection process is truly holistic. You're not at a disadvantage SOLELY because your ACT is 29. I believe there's a section in the application where you're asked if there's anything else you would like the admissions committee to know that is not already in your application, so you could use that section to explain the ACT score (and I think your explanation is a good one). My advice is try to make other parts of your application more stellar so that when they come across you're ACT score, it'll simply seem as a minor deficiency compared to how excellent your overall application is!!

Ilikecats18

2+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2018
Congrats on your acceptances!! I was wondering if there was anyone who had a traditional route and was accepted with below average stats? I'm considering applying this upcoming cycle and I'm worried that my grades will be a red flag. I attend a state school and currently have a 3.4 gpa, and scored a 1490 on the SAT. I'm not sure what my high school GPA would be out of a 4.0, but it was basically a 90 overall :( I have volunteering experience, my letters of recommendation, and my flex factor all settled. I have a rough financial situation that really made things harder for me the last few years and wanted to make sure I can incorporate the hardship into my application. I had amazing leadership roles in a really competitive school in NYC that I'm sure Mt. Sinai would be familiar with...but I know my numbers are terrible regardless... if anyone that was accepted could lend me a hand I would be forever thankful!

Jul 24, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
My overall GPA is 3.8, but I had a bad semester. Got a C+ in Orgo 1. If I get an A in Orgo 2 and show an upward trend, would I still have a shot at flexmed? I know it’s a long-shot. I’m URM if that counts for anything. I have unique clinical volunteering (300+ hours with underserved community) and research (2 publications) but I feel like the C+ Is killing my chances. Do I still have a chance?

Jul 13, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
My overall GPA is 3.8, but I had a bad semester. Got a C+ in Orgo 1. If I get an A in Orgo 2 and show an upward trend, would I still have a shot at flexmed? I know it’s a long-shot. I’m URM if that counts for anything. I have unique clinical volunteering (300+ hours with underserved community) and research (2 publications) but I feel like the C+ Is killing my chances. Do I still have a chance?

One of the main requirements is being a sophomore at an accredited University when applying. If you've managed to get all of this done in high school and by the end of Freshman year then you should be a strong candidate. Make sure to justify the main reason for wanting to be accepted into the FlexMed program, maybe like leading a start-up or doing other things. Good luck!

Nov 19, 2018
I know it is useless since I am applying regardless, but can someone tell me if I have a chance?

College GPA: 3.929 (expected 3.955 after this semester)
HS GPA: 3.7ish? I switched high schools several times.
SAT: 1450

College activities: Substantial volunteering (400+ hours), no clinical experience but OR experience (180ish hours), no research but potentially this semester in bioethics (talking to professor), no shadowing (potentially this semester), professional business fraternity (500 hours),

HS activies: not much, as I said I switched a lot. Started an improv club that is still at the school which is cool! That was my major EC, but it stopped junior year when I switched. Worked at a bakery senior year.

Flex factor: Philosophy major, studying abroad in Russia for a year next year, studying Russian at middlebury this summer, want to learn Spanish with MCAT time, want to direct and bring a camp for young adults with Down syndrome to my state as a major volunteer project as it is primarily on the East coast currently. I still hope to take science classes if accepted, but not physics or ochem as I do not feel drawn to those. I want to take anatomy, physio, genetics and biochem. Genetics and anatomy instead of physics and ochem.

Jul 13, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I know it is useless since I am applying regardless, but can someone tell me if I have a chance?

College GPA: 3.929 (expected 3.955 after this semester)
HS GPA: 3.7ish? I switched high schools several times.
SAT: 1450

College activities: Substantial volunteering (400+ hours), no clinical experience but OR experience (180ish hours), no research but potentially this semester in bioethics (talking to professor), no shadowing (potentially this semester), professional business fraternity (500 hours),

HS activies: not much, as I said I switched a lot. Started an improv club that is still at the school which is cool! That was my major EC, but it stopped junior year when I switched. Worked at a bakery senior year.

Flex factor: Philosophy major, studying abroad in Russia for a year next year, studying Russian at middlebury this summer, want to learn Spanish with MCAT time, want to direct and bring a camp for young adults with Down syndrome to my state as a major volunteer project as it is primarily on the East coast currently. I still hope to take science classes if accepted, but not physics or ochem as I do not feel drawn to those. I want to take anatomy, physio, genetics and biochem. Genetics and anatomy instead of physics and ochem.

Unfortunately you will still have to complete the prereqs before matriculating if accepted, a.k.a., take Physics. I get that not everyone is drawn to Physics lol, I took the year of the Calculus based one, and trust me, when we had to take triple integrals in the EM sections, it was painful but beautiful.

About the Ads
Nov 19, 2018
Unfortunately you will still have to complete the prereqs before matriculating if accepted, a.k.a., take Physics. I get that not everyone is drawn to Physics lol, I took the year of the Calculus based one, and trust me, when we had to take triple integrals in the EM sections, it was painful but beautiful.

Yes I checked the site it is much less overall. One semester of physics without lab, no OChem requirement. I can still fit in genetics and anatomy in the places of those courses!

Jul 13, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Yes I checked the site it is much less overall. One semester of physics without lab, no OChem requirement. I can still fit in genetics and anatomy in the places of those courses!

This is from their website.

In the four weeks prior to matriculation, students who have not had advanced science courses (specifically organic chemistry and biochemistry) will be required to participate in our Summer Enrichment Program (SEP) that will provide them with basic competency in Cell and Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, and Organic Chemistry.

Organic chemistry is certainly required, which is as expected for an education pertaining to the human body.

Nov 19, 2018
This is from their website.

In the four weeks prior to matriculation, students who have not had advanced science courses (specifically organic chemistry and biochemistry) will be required to participate in our Summer Enrichment Program (SEP) that will provide them with basic competency in Cell and Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, and Organic Chemistry.

Organic chemistry is certainly required, which is as expected for an education pertaining to the human body.

This is also from their website:

“After acceptance, students will work closely with the FlexMed team to identify options for successful completion of program’s requirements. We expect you to follow the policies outlined in the FlexMed agreement and complete the following courses:
  • One academic year of biology (not AP or IB but college course work). Molecular content is required.
  • One academic year of chemistry (not AP or IB but college course work)
  • One academic year of English writing intensive coursework (not AP or IB but college course work)
  • One semester of physics (you can apply AP or IB physics in high school with a score of 4 or higher to meet this requirement)
  • One academic year of lab work in biology and/or chemistry
  • One semester of health policy, public health, or global health studies
  • One semester of ethics
  • One semester of statistics (biostatistics is the preferred content)
  • A senior thesis or its equivalent in an area of academic concentration
  • An in-depth experience providing exposure to human illness and healthcare delivery
Once we have admitted you to the FlexMed program, we expect you to complete your remaining two years of college, achieve at least a "B" in all required courses, and maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.5.”

So no, OChem is not required to take during undergrad. I’d prefer to do their enrichment course and opt to take different courses during undergrad such as genetics and anatomy as I stated.

Jul 13, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
This is also from their website:

“After acceptance, students will work closely with the FlexMed team to identify options for successful completion of program’s requirements. We expect you to follow the policies outlined in the FlexMed agreement and complete the following courses:
  • One academic year of biology (not AP or IB but college course work). Molecular content is required.
  • One academic year of chemistry (not AP or IB but college course work)
  • One academic year of English writing intensive coursework (not AP or IB but college course work)
  • One semester of physics (you can apply AP or IB physics in high school with a score of 4 or higher to meet this requirement)
  • One academic year of lab work in biology and/or chemistry
  • One semester of health policy, public health, or global health studies
  • One semester of ethics
  • One semester of statistics (biostatistics is the preferred content)
  • A senior thesis or its equivalent in an area of academic concentration
  • An in-depth experience providing exposure to human illness and healthcare delivery
Once we have admitted you to the FlexMed program, we expect you to complete your remaining two years of college, achieve at least a "B" in all required courses, and maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.5.”

So no, OChem is not required to take during undergrad. I’d prefer to do their enrichment course and opt to take different courses during undergrad such as genetics and anatomy as I stated.

You could also do anatomy & physiology, genetics, and ochem! :D

Nov 19, 2018
You could also do anatomy & physiology, genetics, and ochem! :D

No I can’t with my course schedule / academic plan I’m not a science major I can’t take that many science courses and graduate in four years. Why does it matter to you? Please don’t spread false info regarding course requirements.

May 12, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Can you guys take a look at my stats and tell me what I could work on!!
cGPA:3.74
sGPA: 3.56
ACT:32
Ended high school strong top 10%
Also received IB diploma
I got to a medium-sized private college.
Taking Orgo and BioChem in the fall. I am an undergrad research assistant since October and will have a position until I graduate in 2023, which is my flex factor. I have about 200 hours of volunteer and 5 hours of shadowing. I am planning to volunteer and shadow more after COVID. I have decent EC. I am also thinking about doing phlebotomy next summer for clinical hours.

Last edited:
D

deleted947805

Can you guys take a look at my stats and tell me what I could work on!!
cGPA:3.72
sGPA: 3.44
ACT:32
Ended high school strong top 10%
Also received IB diploma
I got to a medium-sized private college.
Taking Orgo and BioChem in the fall. I am an undergrad research assistant since October and will have a position until I graduate in 2023, which is my flex factor. I have about 200 hours of volunteer and 5 hours of shadowing. I am planning to volunteer and shadow more after COVID. I have decent EC. I am also thinking about doing phlebotomy next summer for clinical hours.
Know that FlexMed is an extremely stats-heavy program. If you can get a 4.0 next semester and boost your application, make sure you do that. Since your stats are not as high as the other applicants, make sure you don't waste application money unless you're rich. Ask for a waiver. Also, the activities descriptions you will work on will help you in the future as a regular applicant in case you don't get admitted.

I did not say these things to discourage you. Apply by all means, but be ready for both and get some more shadowing.

May 12, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Know that FlexMed is an extremely stats-heavy program. If you can get a 4.0 next semester and boost your application, make sure you do that. Since your stats are not as high as the other applicants, make sure you don't waste application money unless you're rich. Ask for a waiver. Also, the activities descriptions you will work on will help you in the future as a regular applicant in case you don't get admitted.

I did not say these things to discourage you. Apply by all means, but be ready for both and get some more shadowing.
Thank you I really appreciate the feedback!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads