Nov 20, 2018
Hey! For some reason, I cannot start a conversation with you. Do you mind you PMing me?
Seems to be your contact side or maybe just our combined amateur skills with the website. Rest assured that if the minimum score requirements are met the student is in contention based on flex and their essays/activities. I might have the opportunity to do something I really love thru this program and I think that showed in the essay whixh might be hard to replicate if you’re faking it.

D

deleted947805

Seems to be your contact side or maybe just our combined amateur skills with the website. Rest assured that if the minimum score requirements are met the student is in contention based on flex and their essays/activities. I might have the opportunity to do something I really love thru this program and I think that showed in the essay whixh might be hard to replicate if you’re faking it.

I really wish I could PM you so that you can see what my FlexFactor is and see if it is really worth the shot. I am not trying to copy anyone or fake anything. I just wanted to compare the strength of my flex factor compared to other applicants. But thank you for the insight. I think my flexfactor is strong enough. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 20, 2018
I really wish I could PM you so that you can see what my FlexFactor is and see if it is really worth the shot. I am not trying to copy anyone or fake anything. I just wanted to compare the strength of my flex factor compared to other applicants. But thank you for the insight. I think my flexfactor is strong enough. :)
Click on my profile and follow me I should be able to DM you after that!

About the Ads

QueenD

2+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Any one hear back from UF MHP yet?

Definitely reach out to them (call admissions) for any questions. Also it always confuses me why no one starts just a separate thread for that program. Is there something preventing people from doing that?

D

deleted965792

hey, I'm wondering if the housing under interview-->staying overnight.....does everyone have unique invitations from student groups there, or is it just generically the same. Mine has an invite from SEOM. and thats it.

Mar 11, 2019
hey, I'm wondering if the housing under interview-->staying overnight.....does everyone have unique invitations from student groups there, or is it just generically the same. Mine has an invite from SEOM. and thats it.

Hey, I had my interview last week. I did not receive a separate email from the affinity groups, but I did end up staying with a SEOM member when I received my housing request.

About the Ads

seriouswag

Doctor of Swagnomics
2+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2016
I know a bunch of us asked before. But has anyone contacted UF? I do know they only select less than a handful of students, and most of them are from the region, unfortunately.

D

deleted965792

did anyone get stats during their interview day? mainly how many they're interviewing/accepting this year. They didn't say anything on my day and nobody asked.

Mar 11, 2019
I did not get any stats for this year, but in past threads, they have interviewed around 140 people. I heard that they are working on accepting half of their class through FlexMed. If a class is 140 persons, then that means 70 people through FlexMed. Historically, I have heard that they accept 50-60 people each year.

Reactions: 1 user
Mar 11, 2019
Hey everyone,

MS-3 here at Sinai. I'm currently one of the students interviewing FlexMed applicants as well as participating in the admissions committee meetings. Happy to answer your questions.

Hi, thank you for offering to answer questions. Do you know if the office accepts post-interview updates? I sent an email but have not received a response.

Nov 20, 2018
Hey everyone,

MS-3 here at Sinai. I'm currently one of the students interviewing FlexMed applicants as well as participating in the admissions committee meetings. Happy to answer your questions.
What things stood out in the meetings/interviews you’ve had? What type of flexes are the admissions committee looking for as a whole?

About the Ads
D

deleted965792

Flexes huh? I see what you did there ;)

For me, interviews are about being able to have a conversation and whether I can see you interacting with patients. For most candidates, this is not an issue. I don't bother too much with grades and achievements at the interview stage because it's been determined by screeners, the candidate is indeed qualified for the rigors of med school. For the most part, those getting interviews have excellent stats anyway. I would say the two most important things for me include the candidate's explanation of how acceptance to Flexmed can help them and why they want to be a doctor. The latter can be tricky because most candidates are young so sometimes I get lackluster answers while others have genuine, self-reflective, and passionate answers that reassures me of their commitment to medicine.

The interviewer is literally your best friend if you do well. If both your interviewers love you then there's almost rarely any push back on it. If there is disagreement then there is a discussion. If both interviewers disliked you then it seems pretty much game over. Although, we haven't been able to discuss the lower ranked applicants yet so I'm interested in hearing about the discussions for those applicants (Note: Every applicant will be presented and voted on by every member present at the admissions committee meeting regardless of their interview scores).

There are no specifics really: Excellent stats get you to the interview stage, your plan if accepted, commitment to medicine/sinai, and performance on the interview are the main general categories. I'd recommend reading Sinai's mission statement, we stick by those words wholeheartedly.

Ya'll LOVE public health don't ya? lol Ironically enough, there was been more science majors than I'd say the humanities. But, a lot of candidates' flexmed plans revolve around non-science experiences.
Hey! it's awesome that you're willing to answer our questions. Could you elaborate a little more on the process from an admissions perspective. What do you mean by lower ranked applicants, like are all interviewees numerically ranked first? Also, who will present us to the committee for voting, and do you (the med student interviewers) get a vote?

Thanks again!

Nov 20, 2018
After each interview, the interviewer has to fill out an interview evaluation form. This needs to be done by usually within one week because admissions committee meetings are usually the following week. The interview form is thorough and goes through various aspects such as academics, flexmed plan, career plan, etc. At the end, there is a ranking score we assign which I will not disclose. But, for all intents and purposes you can think of it as a sliding scale (1-5, best to worst, 1-10, etc). So essentially each applicant receives two scores post-interview: one from each interviewer. The best ranked applicants are discussed first in each meeting and we basically move down the list. Usually, if a student interviews, the faculty will give the full presentation on the applicant and the student will add anything afterwards. This goes the same for two faculty interviewers also. One person gives the full presentation, and the second interviewer adds onto that based on their impressions/recommendations. We make sure if anyone has questions or concerns they feel free to address them before we vote. Everyone present at the meeting votes (including students yayy!) and we vote electronically on our respective devices (we are viewing each application on our respective electronic devices, as well as the application being projected on a screen). Voting is not yes or no in terms of acceptance. It's the same sliding scale score the interviewers used. So if you want you can vote higher or lower based on what you think. I place a lot of trust in the interviewers as they really know what they are doing and I'm still learning this skill-set and very honored to be a part of this process. So if two interviewers gave high scores to an applicant and upon presentation and discussion the candidates seem to be a good fit and there are no red flags, I will most often give the same score the interviewer gave. This is me putting trust in the interviewer since I never met this person. However, there have been times where I have given higher scores because I felt the applicant would be a great addition to Sinai and I would love to have them as a classmate. There have been very rare instances I will give a lower score compared to that of the interviewer. Again, I feel it is not my place to ding an applicant especially since I never met them.

In the end, I do not have the knowledge yet as to what score it takes to earn acceptance. I can only assume that the scores are all tallied up after all applicants are discussed in meetings, which seems to be about ~150 applicants. So, I'm sure it'll take another 2-3 weeks to go through everyone. Then the rest of the magic is up to admissions and our dean of admissions and I think a final list is decided in May/June. I'd guess after tallying scores they then rank from highest score to lowest score and offer seats by going down the list until seats are no longer available. I really have no clue honestly but I can ask later. I'm also inclined to believe I am wrong about this because there are applicants who might not have received the absolute best score due to being fair, unbiased, and holistic, i.e something in their application merited a lower score than the highest score possible. These applicants were still very much loved by members of the committee and I believe they will probably get in also. I'd also be sad if they only handed out acceptances based on rigid number of seats but that is also a reality we do have to face because seats are limited and the applicants are all incredible. I must imagine it becomes difficult to say no to some of you guys. Ultimately, the power to admit lies upon our dean of admissions, and she can accept whoever she wants lol. She definitely doesn't go rogue though and whenever anyone expresses a red flag during meetings (especially students! hehe), she takes it very seriously. Sorry for rambling but this process can get quite complex and I know how frustrated I felt as an applicant not knowing how any of this works. Hopefully I was able to answer your question.
Funniest story you’ve heard from the admissions committee? I feel like you encounter so many intriguing things there’s gotta be some grade a comedy.

D

deleted965792

After each interview, the interviewer has to fill out an interview evaluation form. This needs to be done by usually within one week because admissions committee meetings are usually the following week. The interview form is thorough and goes through various aspects such as academics, flexmed plan, career plan, etc. At the end, there is a ranking score we assign which I will not disclose. But, for all intents and purposes you can think of it as a sliding scale (1-5, best to worst, 1-10, etc). So essentially each applicant receives two scores post-interview: one from each interviewer. The best ranked applicants are discussed first in each meeting and we basically move down the list. Usually, if a student interviews, the faculty will give the full presentation on the applicant and the student will add anything afterwards. This goes the same for two faculty interviewers also. One person gives the full presentation, and the second interviewer adds onto that based on their impressions/recommendations. We make sure if anyone has questions or concerns they feel free to address them before we vote. Everyone present at the meeting votes (including students yayy!) and we vote electronically on our respective devices (we are viewing each application on our respective electronic devices, as well as the application being projected on a screen). Voting is not yes or no in terms of acceptance. It's the same sliding scale score the interviewers used. So if you want you can vote higher or lower based on what you think. I place a lot of trust in the interviewers as they really know what they are doing and I'm still learning this skill-set and very honored to be a part of this process. So if two interviewers gave high scores to an applicant and upon presentation and discussion the candidates seem to be a good fit and there are no red flags, I will most often give the same score the interviewer gave. This is me putting trust in the interviewer since I never met this person. However, there have been times where I have given higher scores because I felt the applicant would be a great addition to Sinai and I would love to have them as a classmate. There have been very rare instances I will give a lower score compared to that of the interviewer. Again, I feel it is not my place to ding an applicant especially since I never met them.

In the end, I do not have the knowledge yet as to what score it takes to earn acceptance. I can only assume that the scores are all tallied up after all applicants are discussed in meetings, which seems to be about ~150 applicants. So, I'm sure it'll take another 2-3 weeks to go through everyone. Then the rest of the magic is up to admissions and our dean of admissions and I think a final list is decided in May/June. I'd guess after tallying scores they then rank from highest score to lowest score and offer seats by going down the list until seats are no longer available. I really have no clue honestly but I can ask later. I'm also inclined to believe I am wrong about this because there are applicants who might not have received the absolute best score due to being fair, unbiased, and holistic, i.e something in their application merited a lower score than the highest score possible. These applicants were still very much loved by members of the committee and I believe they will probably get in also. I'd also be sad if they only handed out acceptances based on rigid number of seats but that is also a reality we do have to face because seats are limited and the applicants are all incredible. I must imagine it becomes difficult to say no to some of you guys. Ultimately, the power to admit lies upon our dean of admissions, and she can accept whoever she wants lol. She definitely doesn't go rogue though and whenever anyone expresses a red flag during meetings (especially students! hehe), she takes it very seriously. Sorry for rambling but this process can get quite complex and I know how frustrated I felt as an applicant not knowing how any of this works. Hopefully I was able to answer your question.
wow that's everything anyone would ever want to know about med school admissions. Thank you!!

Apr 22, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

Thanks for taking the time to answer these! Could you discuss how much spring grades count in the admissions process? Is it just to make sure you haven't completely been slacking off?

Mar 13, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

Thank you for taking the time to explain all of this. During the meetings do they discuss any updates that have been sent in or is it only based off of the interview? I had my interview in early April. If I were to send an update now or in the future would that be taken into consideration or has the decision on my acceptance or rejection already been made?

About the Ads
May 26, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
For those who sent in update letters, did you get confirmation of receipt? I emailed my update last week, and I have not received confirmation that they received my update.

Mar 11, 2019
nope, i can assume they're likely overwhelmed with handling both flexmed and traditional cycle applicants at the same time rn

I wrote an update letter and did not receive a response. I reached back out 1-2 weeks after I sent the original. Then, I received confirmation. I would be patient and polite about reaching back out.

Apr 19, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello! I’m an incoming freshman that’s interested in flexmed. I was wondering if anybody knew how much they weighed high school grades.

Additionally, I was wondering what they were looking for in terms of a flex factor and if anyone could give me an example of one?

Mar 11, 2019
Hello! I’m an incoming freshman that’s interested in flexmed. I was wondering if anybody knew how much they weighed high school grades.

Additionally, I was wondering what they were looking for in terms of a flex factor and if anyone could give me an example of one?

I do not know exactly how much weight they place on high school grades, but I would assume since they only have 1.5-2 years college grades to gauge your preparedness for medical school, your high school grades do matter.

Also, for flex factor, it would be something that you are passionate about, whether that is a non-medical experience or not. If you are unsure about examples of flex factors, I would recommend reaching out to successful FlexMed applicants either in this thread or past years' threads on the first page of this thread.

Sorry, I know this is not the most specific answer, hope this helps! Feel free to DM me about my experiences.

D

deleted947805

Can someone please give me an example of a flexfactor? I have one but I don’t know what it should be like and I’ve heard a lot of people talking about it. I totally understand that it is a personal quality that should not be shared, and I am definitely not going to be someone I am not. I am applying in two months and I feel like I still have no clue about whether my flexfactor is strong enough. Can someone please give me a general example?

Mar 11, 2019
It is a bit difficult to give a general example, given that a flex factor is something personal and complex. My advice would be one of these three choices:

1.) Message someone who already applied (or received an interview in this cycle) and describe your flex factor, if you feel comfortable. Although no one (except maybe ADCOMs) are experts, it may benefit you to get some general feedback/see if your passions show through,
2.) Wait until next week when results come out and privately message someone to ask what their flex factor is, if they are willing to share
3.) Lurk on past threads and see if a past successful applicant gave general tips about flex factors

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

futureoncodoctor27

5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2015
One flex factor that has worked in the past is being entrepreneurial from talking to admitted flexmed students. However like @BrownBears2021 said I'll be willing to share my flex factor to you after the final results come out next week.

D

deleted947805

Thank you guys so much for the responses you gave regarding my previous question!
I have a concern: I have no research experience whatsoever aside from doing research on bacteria for one semester in my freshman seminar class. But I am planning on doing research the summer of my sophomore year. I know that research plays a huge factor when the ADCOMS review my application. Will this hurt my chances of getting accepted to the program?

Mar 11, 2019
I had no research experience when applying but had a compelling reason why. I still received an interview invite. However, this summer, I am doing research, and I notified adcoms.

Mar 11, 2019
No one has received any updates since the interview. My gut tells me that results will come this week: maybe today or tomorrow. Historically, results have been released from June 27-July 1, but I doubt they would release on a weekend.

Jun 25, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
No one has received any updates since the interview. My gut tells me that results will come this week: maybe today or tomorrow. Historically, results have been released from June 27-July 1, but I doubt they would release on a weekend.
Do you know if the acceptances and rejections are sent on the same day, or are they rolled out like the interview requests?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads