This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fifteenpapers

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd start a thread for the 2019 application cycle.

As a reference, here are the links to the last few years of FlexMed forums
2014: FlexMed 2014
2015: FlexMed 2015
2016: FlexMed 2016
2017: FlexMed 2017
2018: FlexMed 2018

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone! I'm super excited to be applying to FlexMed 2019. The application just came out! One thing I noticed is that they seemed to have cut back on the number of words allowed for essays (according to past FlexMed SDN forums), to only 300 words per essay! This doesn't seem like much space to give admissions a good idea of who we are, but I guess we have no choice but to roll with it.

Here are my stats, if anyone wants to compare and/or let me know how competitive my application seems. I realize that my SAT super-score is slightly below the usual minimum (1350) they mentioned on the FAQ section of their website, but that is the biggest limitation to my application that I can see.

-Neuroscience major at a prestigious small liberal arts school, 3.75 college GPA
-1330 super-scored new SAT (out of 1600 total), 690 reading/writing, 640 math, and 24 (out of 24) super-scored new SAT essay
-100.1 high school GPA, salutatorian of my class, received numerous academic honors
-One summer of research at a childhood cognition lab
-1000 volunteer hours from high school, 100 so far from college
-The volunteer hours from above are from my time at 2 different local hospitals, where I have also had the opportunity to interact with doctors/shadow
-Speaking of shadowing, I am planning on shadowing a few doctors in various areas (OB/GYN, cardiology, pediatrics) this fall/winter before the application deadline
-Many leadership positions in high school and college, including spearheading and organizing many community service-based events
-"Flex factor" is that I would like to focus on my language studies (French and Spanish) in order to be trilingual by the time I enroll in medical school, and FlexMed would allow me to take more language classes and/or spend more time abroad in order to cultivate this knowledge/immersion with the languages.
-Overall a very passionate person/student, who is PSYCHED to head to med school eventually!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone else having trouble viewing the PDF of their SAT/ACT score once they uploaded them on the application? When I try and view the file after uploading, it keeps saying Error 404.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else having trouble viewing the PDF of their SAT/ACT score once they uploaded them on the application? When I try and view the file after uploading, it keeps saying Error 404.

Yes, this is happening to me as well! And the same for any other attachments.

I have a question regarding my SAT/ACT I took the old SAT and scored really low and took the ACT and scored 20. Both of these scores are really low but my high school course work is great. Even my college GPA is good, do you think that the low test scores will affect my chances of being accepted?

Yes. The test scores are the only way to standardize performance across all candidates. Everyone has varying levels of difficulty depending on their high school and college, and the SAT/ACT is the objective measure.
I'm not sure I saw an ACT under 30 or an SAT under 2000 get an interview back when I screened applications.

Hey guys I am posting my stats and I just wanted to know if I have a shot or no?
International Student
Psychology major with an emphasis on Clinical Psychology
High School GPA: 3.71
Spring Laureate Honor
Current College GPA: 4.0
ACT: 20 (super low)
EC:
Was Prefect of my class for 2 years
Volunteering with an education foundation for 6 months and tutored little-disadvantaged kids.
Currently, volunteer at a hospital in their Rehabilitation department (100+ hours)
Will possibly have showing experience.
Vice-President and Historian of Psych Club and Psi-Beta Honors society.
Anything else that I should include?

Hey guys I am posting my stats and I just wanted to know if I have a shot or no?
International Student
Psychology major with an emphasis on Clinical Psychology
High School GPA: 3.71
Spring Laureate Honor
Current College GPA: 4.0
ACT: 20 (super low)
EC:
Was Prefect of my class for 2 years
Volunteering with an education foundation for 6 months and tutored little-disadvantaged kids.
Currently, volunteer at a hospital in their Rehabilitation department (100+ hours)
Will possibly have showing experience.
Vice-President and Historian of Psych Club and Psi-Beta Honors society.
Anything else that I should include?
If I was you I would not apply. I think in previous threads there was a screener who said if your ACT/SAT was not in the 98%+ it would not even make it and be a donation. Although you seem to be on a great track for med school in general!

Thoughts on whether I should submit my 1520 new SAT, 34 ACT, or both?
Per CollegeBoard/ACT, 34 on the ACT = 1490-1520 on the new SAT. Your ACT and SAT scores are equivalent, so feel free to submit either or both.

Last edited:
When is too late to apply? Asking for someone else.

When is too late to apply? Asking for someone else.

Never as long as your recommenders are willing to write one for you in the time crunch between now and when it’s due :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else getting an error when trying to open the apply/admissions page or is it just me?

How much weight is placed on high school stats (gpa, ACT, SAT) versus college stats (gpa)?

I accidentally inputted the wrong email for my recommenders. Does anyone know how to edit the email on the recommendation portion of the application?

hey everyone. would one of you kind people mind assessing my chances before i take this shot in the dark / spend my time elsewhere?

Biology ScB, concentrating in Molecular Biology
Current college GPA: 3.15 (yikes) (at a really competitive school, if it helps)
High school GPA: 4.6, Cum Laude Society (top 10% of class)
ACT: 29
Extracurriculars: NCAA Division 1 basketball team member, executive board member for two different clubs on campus
Did hundreds of hours of community service in high school and college too (gotta make a team look good in the community).
I have extensive clinical shadowing and hands-on experience from working with an OB/GYN this summer, too. Also spent a summer in a physical therapy clinic.

So do you know how to get or make an unofficial score report? Sorry, I don't know how to do this
When I applied it was literally just logging into the website (so for me I did the ACT) and downloading the pdf score report from the website. I then uploaded it to the FlexMed application. This was/ should be the same for the SAT (but it may have changed due to recent changes overall although I can't imagine accessing the pdf/online version to be any different).

I feel like I read somewhere that you can submit 3-5 recs but it only mentions 3 on the actual website. Does anyone know if we can actually submit more than 3? I messed up and send requests to 4 people and it won't let me cancel one so I'm confused...

I feel like I read somewhere that you can submit 3-5 recs but it only mentions 3 on the actual website. Does anyone know if we can actually submit more than 3? I messed up and send requests to 4 people and it won't let me cancel one so I'm confused...
Yes you're fine! :)

I know it won't be for at least a few weeks, but has anyone gone through the previous threads to track down when we might hear back for interviews? Also do they release them in rounds or all at once?

Is it true there is an ivy bias for interviews. I go to a small private university that is ranked 190 nationally. Will this negativley affect me?

Has anyone’s status changed to under review (or similar) or does it still say application complete?

Is it true there is an ivy bias for interviews. I go to a small private university that is ranked 190 nationally. Will this negativley affect me?
No, it certainly won't negatively affect you. They just get alot of applicants mostly from the Ivy institutions given it's more well advertised at those schools (Went to a public school so it certainly doesn't disadvantage you if you go elsewhere).

Has anyone received interview request yet?
nope. Looking at last year, early march seems likely. Years prior to last year had interview invitations starting in the middle of February.

Do they tell if you don't get an interview or you just don't know anything?

They'll tell you. However, interview offers are made from around feb/march to may so you may get a rejection or invite anytime in between.

Has anyone received an interview invitation? Will we know through email? It says reviews will happen January-february.

Ok, you guys shouldn't really start hearing back until like early March (heard back mid march last year). If you hear back in late February that would be very surprising.

Can anyone please tell me what the essay prompts are for the past cycle?

there were three essay prompts, basically they ask about: an accomplishment, a disappointment, and then the ole classic why flexmed?

Thank you so much!

If you don’t mind me asking again,do you happen to know the essay prompts line by line? Or just the essay prompts paraphrased in your own words?

In the past, it's been around 750 applicants, 150 interviewees, and 50 acceptances, although the exact numbers have varied over the years.

Any updates guys.last year by this time they had more than 100 posts with so much going on.anxious

@Chandra1234 According to last year’s thread it was March 12, 2018 when the first (and I think only) interview invites were issued and received by email by the Flexmed applicants.

On y'all's status page, is spring transcript the only which shows "incomplete“?How about the last row "transcripts"?