Future DVMs- C/O 2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That makes sense, thanks! It'll be interesting to see how many eventually end up in production/equine/research/etc. I wish there were more data about graduating vet classes. It would be really nice to know what everyone ends up in and which decisions are based on interests and which are based on necessity (job openings, debt, etc.)
The AVMA does send out a survey asking new grads about type of job, salary, debt, etc. I know my school sends their data out to current grads each year. I assume that data is assimilated and available somewhere, but a quick google didn't show me anything newer than 2012. I don't remember if they asked if your focus or type of position you ultimately took changed from first year but that would be an interesting thing to look at too.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any other anxious non-traditional applicants worried about what you're going to do if you don't get in this cycle? And wondering like...why didn't you realize sooner that this is what you want to do?

Reactions: 2 users
Any other anxious non-traditional applicants worried about what you're going to do if you don't get in this cycle? And wondering like...why didn't you realize sooner that this is what you want to do?

You'll survive, and there's always next year. Most applicants take 2-3 times to get in.

Stress and anxiety aren't your friends, go out and do something fun to kill that negative energy.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else waiting for Missouri interview announcements? I seriously check my email 15 times a day.... I'm dying here!!!!

Anyone else waiting for Missouri interview announcements? I seriously check my email 15 times a day.... I'm dying here!!!!

Yeah, absolutely...slowly starting to accept that it's not worth thinking about until it actually happens (or doesn't) and that I should go about my regular business, though!!

Reactions: 3 users

lol YES! Couldn't have put it better.

Reactions: 1 users
I think what matters is that you DID realize this is what you want to do. Even though most applicants have wanted to be a veterinarian since they were fetuses I think it's important to recognize that nontraditional applicants bring a lot of valuable perspective to the profession/field and anyone who wants to penalize you just for being "late" to realize this is what you want to do is probably missing the point a bit.

But seriously, y'all, this is probably one of the most stressful parts of the application cycle (let's be real, it's all stress from submitting until you make final decisions), but working on managing that stress now will do you worlds of good for the rest of your life. People keep saying it but it's because it's true. Take some time to get out of your head. Go see a movie. Don't check your email for a whole day. Go take a walk. Be kind to yourselves.

I think what matters is that you DID realize this is what you want to do. Even though most applicants have wanted to be a veterinarian since they were fetuses I think it's important to recognize that nontraditional applicants bring a lot of valuable perspective to the profession/field and anyone who wants to penalize you just for being "late" to realize this is what you want to do is probably missing the point a bit.

But seriously, y'all, this is probably one of the most stressful parts of the application cycle (let's be real, it's all stress from submitting until you make final decisions), but working on managing that stress now will do you worlds of good for the rest of your life. People keep saying it but it's because it's true. Take some time to get out of your head. Go see a movie. Don't check your email for a whole day. Go take a walk. Be kind to yourselves.
Since they were fetuses

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

I'm non-traditional in the sense that I'm 29 and finally took the leap to actually applying. Vet school has always been the goal, I just wasn't ready to face it until recently. Part of me wishes I had tried sooner, but at the same time, I've had some awesome experiences over the years that have helped me determine what I want to do.

Same here. It doesn't help that my coworkers, friends, and family keep asking if I've heard back yet. I'm trying my best not to think about it but it's difficult when it get keeps getting brought up :p.

You'll survive, and there's always next year. Most applicants take 2-3 times to get in.

Stress and anxiety aren't your friends, go out and do something fun to kill that negative energy.

Definitely, I just meant like, making the decision to apply again as a non-trad. If I don't make it in this cycle I'll probably give it another go, but it's probably an easier decision for someone in college.

Members don't see this ad :)
Idk how you guys are able to distract yourself from hearing back from schools! I'm waiting to hear back from Kansas who started sending out interview invites last week and I'm obsessing over my email waiting to hear back. :(

Are you guys IS or OOS for Mizzou?

If you're IS, you won't hear anything until at least February. OOS tends to recieve invites in more mid to late November, so you shouldn't have more than a two or three weeks left to wait... constantly refreshing your email isn't going to make it go by any faster, though! :p You won't miss it if you recieve one, I promise!

I'm OOS :) And rationally I know that I can't speed up the process by refreshing my email, but I'm just so anxiously excited.

Idk how you guys are able to distract yourself from hearing back from schools! I'm waiting to hear back from Kansas who started sending out interview invites last week and I'm obsessing over my email waiting to hear back. :(
Don't worry, I am the same way. But next year (provided we all get in somewhere, fingers crossed) we will be saying the exact same thing to all of those in our exact position now. I am trying to continue being a functioning member of society, and not letting the stress prevent me from being happy(ish) and focusing on the present. But it is certainly what takes over my thoughts 80% of the day. Doesnt help that I am still in undergrad, I think if I was working full time and seeing my friends/family more I would be much more distracted lol I have weird dreams about interviews and rejection letters and such. When it is something that is SO important to us, how could we not ignore it!!

I think if I had a more solid GPA and GRE score I wouldn't be so stressed out.

Don't worry, I am the same way. But next year (provided we all get in somewhere, fingers crossed) we will be saying the exact same thing to all of those in our exact position now. I am trying to continue being a functioning member of society, and not letting the stress prevent me from being happy(ish) and focusing on the present. But it is certainly what takes over my thoughts 80% of the day. Doesnt help that I am still in undergrad, I think if I was working full time and seeing my friends/family more I would be much more distracted lol I have weird dreams about interviews and rejection letters and such. When it is something that is SO important to us, how could we not ignore it!!

I'm in the same boat! I keep procrastinating studying for my undergrad courses by going on here or just talking about vet apps with other students. My GPA is alright but I had pretty good GRE scores so it's a toss up for some schools. I had a dream about getting rejected last month from my IS and then it happened lol so hopefully I don't get any more of those dreams! If I hadn't already interviewed at my top choice, I would be freaking out even more than I am.

Dude, I work like 60 hours a week and I'm still thinking about it constantly haha.

I think that's everyone's problem- everyone (myself included) feels like they aren't good enough- either the GPA is too low or they don't have enough hours. In all my time on SDN and meeting people who also applied, I've never had a single person say "you know, I feel really good about my application."

So the only thing we can do is not stress about it now. Watch a movie (or two), go walk around the park, snuggle a puppy, meet a new person who could become your SO. Have fun. I don't want to waste what could be my last year as an undergrad because I'm stressing about something not going to happen until much much later. Go enjoy yourself and your freedom while you can!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think that's everyone's problem- everyone (myself included) feels like they aren't good enough- either the GPA is too low or they don't have enough hours. In all my time on SDN and meeting people who also applied, I've never had a single person say "you know, I feel really good about my application."

So the only thing we can do is not stress about it now. Watch a movie (or two), go walk around the park, snuggle a puppy, meet a new person who could become your SO. Have fun. I don't want to waste what could be my last year as an undergrad because I'm stressing about something not going to happen until much much later. Go enjoy yourself and your freedom while you can!

Good point. I don't recall ever seeing someone say, "wow, this is the year! My app is just killer and I'm confident I'll get in." And yet, there are some pretty amazing vet students and vets on here.

Definitely, I just meant like, making the decision to apply again as a non-trad. If I don't make it in this cycle I'll probably give it another go, but it's probably an easier decision for someone in college.

No you're definitely right, and I'm sympathetic (27 going on 28). I've just done this before, so don't beat yourself up too bad if it doesn't shake out for you this cycle (hopefully it does though!).

And to all you Nervous Nellies out there hitting refresh: you need to step back and take some breaths, then follow Cdo's advice.

No you're definitely right, and I'm sympathetic (27 going on 28). I've just done this before, so don't beat yourself up too bad if it doesn't shake out for you this cycle (hopefully it does though!).

And to all you Nervous Nellies out there hitting refresh: you need to step back and take some breaths, then follow Cdo's advice.
(I like cdo- I haven't gotten a sdn shorthand abbreviation yet so this makes me happy)

(I like cdo- I haven't gotten a sdn shorthand abbreviation yet so this makes me happy)
bro jesus.jpg

Wishing I applied to more than one out of USA vet school after tonight. That is all.

Reactions: 5 users

Literally me every day. I check my email and I am checking SDN for when people start posting in the official invite thread! It's killing me.

Literally me every day. I check my email and I am checking SDN for when people start posting in the official invite thread! It's killing me.
I haven't started checking frequently yet. From last years data, invites went out the 16th for OOS and they had significantly more applicants this year.

I haven't started checking frequently yet. From last years data, invites went out the 16th for OOS and they had significantly more applicants this year.
From what I understand, the goal is for invites to come out before thanksgiving, but I think that's just an estimate since they had a record amount of applicants this year.

On that note, I think it's this way at most schools. I spoke with the director of admissions at Cornell and they had 200-300 additional applicants this year compared to last year.

Needless to say, I'm pretty nervous.

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

Unpopular opinion time: I never say this on here because the general consensus is that everyone feels inadequate and I don't want to seem full of myself, but I'm really quite confident I'll get in, at least to my IS. I know it's more of a roulette than anything, but I spent years making sure I had a great application and I'm really proud of the result. I'm by no means the strongest applicant I've seen on here, but I think it's both healthy and totally fair to not keep doubting yourself.

And if I don't get in because it really is a crapshoot, that's totally fair as well and I am mentally prepared for that outcome.

Reactions: 5 users
Unpopular opinion time: I never say this on here because the general consensus is that everyone feels inadequate and I don't want to seem full of myself, but I'm really quite confident I'll get in, at least to my IS. I know it's more of a roulette than anything, but I spent years making sure I had a great application and I'm really proud of the result. I'm by no means the strongest applicant I've seen on here, but I think it's both healthy and totally fair to not keep doubting yourself.

And if I don't get in because it really is a crapshoot, that's totally fair as well and I am mentally prepared for that outcome.

Good for you. I tend to believe that vet school is a bit of a crap shoot with admissions so I'm just kinda waiting to see what happens, but I feel like I've at least gotten to the point where I believe it's all gonna work out how it's supposed to. Obsessing about it will just give me ulcers lol

I gave tours to prospective students and their parents at my school this morning...they were so refreshingly un-burntout.

I've been in school constantly since August 2013, with just a few weeks off here and there between normal class and summer classes, and working 2 jobs . . . it's been crazy. But I only have one class right now and I won't be taking any classes next semester at all. My last shift at the crazy clinic is Tuesday. So, in just a few weeks I'll have one PT job and no classes and life will be the calmest it's ever been. :D I didn't realize how much I needed a break until this gap year thing happened. It's been great.

Reactions: 4 users
I keep looking at the day and noticing how close to early December we're getting and all I can think is:
ImageUploadedBySDN1479396790.656058.jpg

Reactions: 13 users
So I'm doing my honors undergraduate thesis in a research lab and if I'm being honest, I never knew how boring it could be. I get to do really cool things, and then I sit for 25 minutes and let the HPLC work. It's a vicious cycle.

So I'm doing my honors undergraduate thesis in a research lab and if I'm being honest, I never knew how boring it could be. I get to do really cool things, and then I sit for 25 minutes and let the HPLC work. It's a vicious cycle.

Hahaha yes. 1000 levels of this. I did so many insanely cool things over the summer when we were in the middle of a project. Now I'm looking at a million histology slides and staring at data. Not quite as fun;)

Hahaha yes. 1000 levels of this. I did so many insanely cool things over the summer when we were in the middle of a project. Now I'm looking at a million histology slides and staring at data. Not quite as fun;)

It's just... not fun. I'm just sitting for hours watching graphs form. I get really bored!!

Has anyone heard anything from Ross about September 2017 entry yet?

This semester has drug by SO SLOWLY. I swear. December could not have gotten here fast enough. Welcome to the month of schools *hopefully* sending out interview invites (or the month of ultimate heart crushing rejection). But regardless, I'm ready for December and Christmas break!

Reactions: 4 users
This semester has drug by SO SLOWLY. I swear. December could not have gotten here fast enough. Welcome to the month of schools *hopefully* sending out interview invites (or the month of ultimate heart crushing rejection). But regardless, I'm ready for December and Christmas break!

Interesting. Every single semester just goes faster and faster for me...though I do admit waiting for interviews isn't particularly fun

Have you ever wondered what all those WW threads on this forum are about (this is a professional forum, what are they even doing here???)? Too overwhelmed to just hop into a game where you won't know what in the world is going on? Well then, you should go sign up for this game! It is specifically set up to help new players learn how to play the super cool, awesome, definitely not bad for your health game called Werewolf! You will be paired with a mentor who will help you along the way, and the game will be run by the fantastic @Trilt and @kaydubs, two of the best mods around. You won't regret it, guaranteed, or your money back!! *

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/ladies-and-gentlemen-a-noob-ww-game.1231219/

*There is no actual satisfaction guarantee associated with this game. Neither the mods nor the mentors are responsible for any loss of sleep, spontaneous mental combustion, academic procrastination, or WW related nightmares (unless your mentor is @Lupin21 , in which case the nightmares may in fact be her fault. Enjoy them.). Side effects of WW may include rage, sociopathy, confused significant others, funny looks from classmates while you desperately try to fend off a lynch in the middle of lecture, webpage refresh syndrome, and having way too much fun.

Reactions: 14 users
Hello everyone!
I just wanted to hear some honest thoughts along the lines of the ones that I have been experiencing lately regarding veterinary school and possibly becoming a veterinarian. Honestly, how sure are you that this is the right path for you? I am a "sort-of" non-traditional applicant. I have worked with animals for the past 10 years in different capacities (zoos, shelters, wildlife rehab, etc) and have a BS in Zoology from 2009, but never really considered becoming a vet until this last year when I applied. I am now working in a vet clinic (a corporate one) and it is making me question everything. I am learning a lot, but I just don't know if I can see myself working in a general practice clinic as a vet. I know there are many career options for veterinarians, and many clinics to choose from so I don't want to let this one experience get me down, but it is right now. With decisions coming relatively soon, I am also stressing out about the debt from veterinary school if accepted, since I have been experiencing some doubt about this potential path. I hope this makes sense! I don't want to sound bratty or anything, just trying to be realistic. Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Hello everyone!
I just wanted to hear some honest thoughts along the lines of the ones that I have been experiencing lately regarding veterinary school and possibly becoming a veterinarian. Honestly, how sure are you that this is the right path for you? I am a "sort-of" non-traditional applicant. I have worked with animals for the past 10 years in different capacities (zoos, shelters, wildlife rehab, etc) and have a BS in Zoology from 2009, but never really considered becoming a vet until this last year when I applied. I am now working in a vet clinic (a corporate one) and it is making me question everything. I am learning a lot, but I just don't know if I can see myself working in a general practice clinic as a vet. I know there are many career options for veterinarians, and many clinics to choose from so I don't want to let this one experience get me down, but it is right now. With decisions coming relatively soon, I am also stressing out about the debt from veterinary school if accepted, since I have been experiencing some doubt about this potential path. I hope this makes sense! I don't want to sound bratty or anything, just trying to be realistic. Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Do you think its the job itself or perhaps the people you are surrounded with? That can make such a huge difference. Is there any possibility of catching some volunteer hours at another clinic so that you can observe a different work environment? A vet that I worked for in the summer told me that the thing he considers the most important for young vets and aspiring vets is to surround yourself with people that encourage learning and questions, and who make you feel like you are a part of something bigger.

Do you think its the job itself or perhaps the people you are surrounded with? That can make such a huge difference. Is there any possibility of catching some volunteer hours at another clinic so that you can observe a different work environment? A vet that I worked for in the summer told me that the thing he considers the most important for young vets and aspiring vets is to surround yourself with people that encourage learning and questions, and who make you feel like you are a part of something bigger.

I 100% believe it's the culture of where I am not being a great fit/learning environment. I love what your vet said. When I worked as a zookeeper I always did my best to mentor interns with a similar mindset. I think it is difficult in the animal field to find an effective mentor, and I want to be one for others. To be honest, it's hard to be one when you can't find one of your own. That was one of the reasons I decided to apply to vet school. Thank you for your insight, that is very helpful.

I 100% believe it's the culture of where I am not being a great fit/learning environment. I love what your vet said. When I worked as a zookeeper I always did my best to mentor interns with a similar mindset. I think it is difficult in the animal field to find an effective mentor, and I want to be one for others. To be honest, it's hard to be one when you can't find one of your own. That was one of the reasons I decided to apply to vet school. Thank you for your insight, that is very helpful.
You're welcome! I feel very lucky to work with that vet, he told me that when he was young he did not have any good mentors and became very discouraged. It's sad that the people around you can influence things so much, I hope everything works out for you! Don't give up yet!